Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    As my first official act as Niner mod, I dub this thread stickied.

p.

My first unofficial RIP Nine, about an hour after UPS delivered it. Levi Leipheimer, while winning the yellow jersey today in the Amgen Tour of California, approves.

EDIT: Day 2 of ownership Involved running down and back to Jensens in Ontario, for new drivetrain components. I was going to spring for Race Face XC cranks, until I saw that the 22 ring gear was steel, and that there was no extractor screw to pop the crankarm off for R &R like on a TruVativ Stylo 3.3 , or my FireX.

So I sprang for the 2008 Stylo, SRAM 990 cassette, so I wouldn't gouge the titanium carrier on the Hadley, and a SRAM 970 chain. Total for the drive trail was really close to $200 with sales tax. New parts are expensive, something I was trying to avoid on this build, but drivetrain parts do wear out, so it was just best to buy new and know it's all at the same wear levels.
    Some Pics.

Rear derailleur was a joy to adjust, zero problems getting the stops correct and the B screw set up, then last adjusts with only 3 clicks out on the barrel adjuster on the trigger.

A sign of things to come, once everything is adjusted and test ridden to satisfaction?

The opposite of "Pedal Dammit"

Having a Bionicon, I am used to adjusting this on the fly on the handle bars, this however, will be something new to learn to fiddle with when climbing or descending.

SNAFU! Something always funky when you buy used. Seller was supposed to include the original front derailleur in the package, but this one was off of one of his other bikes, I suspect, the angle of the seat post on the RIP is 70 or 72 degrees with the bend in the seat tube? Height on the seat tube will work either 22 and 32 or 32 and 44, but not all three, due to the angle of the derailleur not jiving with the angle of the seat post. Any pointers on the correct P/N and angle?

EDIT: I got an email from the owner and in New England, where he is from, there is a lot of rock, and he ended up using the big chainring more as a rock guard, and ended up running it 2x9, so the derailleur wasnt an issue for him. Maybe Brett can give me some insight. I am also having some problems with the RP 23 shock having some clearance issues with the band for the front derailleur. It's hitting the derailleur band? I wonder how Niner really got this thing to work, or maybe that is why they went with the 30.9 tubing and no additional bracing, with a low mount derailleur, it's really tight in there, I may have to grind either the band or the shock to get the required clearance.

Once I fiddle around and find a stem length and height I like, the sawzall will come out and the steering tube will get circumcised surgically with my Sawzall and a good sharp blade.

Getting there! Soon, it's still raining and muddy, so I have some time.
    Last edited by Boyonadyke; 02-18-2009 at 06:58 AM.

Flaccid Member
    As my first official act as Niner mod, I dub this thread stickied.

p.
    Does that make it an OFFICIAL Niner RIP Setup page, like the Jet Sticky or just a Niner RIP Setup page, like it is right now?

Saucy Size Moderator
    Totally official. There will be a ribbon-cutting ceremony.

p.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    My first unofficial RIP Nine, about an hour after UPS delivered it. Levi Leipheimer, while winning the yellow jersey today in the Amgen Tour of California, approves.

First of all, Hooray Paul. You won the battle for us RIPpers out there!

Back on topic, are you going to cut that fork tube or leave it full length?
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

MTB B'dos

Wink

Well he is quite an old fart Fo Sho he should leave it full length and throw some more spacers under that stem so he doesn't need to bend over too far and hurt his ancient back
    Quote Originally Posted by Pynis McDermott
    First of all, Hooray Paul. You won the battle for us RIPpers out there!

Back on topic, are you going to cut that fork tube or leave it full length?
    Seriously I think once the headset is properly installed and he's had a few rides on it he'll settle on his bar height and trim as mecessary
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Flaccid Member
    Thanks Paul!

Saucy Size Moderator
    Thanks Paul!
    My second official act of office will probably be to not have any more official acts of office. Unless Lynx gets out of hand.

p.

MTB B'dos

Hope Have I ever?

I think not! I have stated my thoughts and opinions and if that's out of hand, then tell me now, cause even down here in the 3rd world that's known as freedom of speech I only have issues with 1 MOD and that's because they have a serious god complex, I stay away from commentin in threads they have been in since they believe they are right and anyone else is the devil if they disagree or stand up to them.

I think I provide what I consider to be honest opinions, not based on manufacturer loyatly, more from a consumers POV - If Niner or any at MTBR wish me to leave the site and not participate I will gladly do so.

My second official act of office will probably be to not have any more official acts of office. Unless Lynx gets out of hand.

p.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Saucy Size Moderator
    I would, uh, note the big smiley as an indication that I wasn't serious or anything.

p.

MTB B'dos

Wink

Was duly noted and from you taken as such, but I think you are amoung the minority who don't think like that

I would, uh, note the big smiley as an indication that I wasn't serious or anything.

p.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Moderator Moderator
    Maybe Brett can give me some insight. I am also having some problems with the RP 23 shock having some clearance issues with the band for the front derailleur. It's hitting the derailleur band....
    Hi Randy,

Sorry I haven't been on this thread for a while. Here is a really detailed post
    Front derailleur mounting on RIP9 ver 1.1 frame
    which describes the mod and derailleurs which work.

Looks good!

Brett
    Niner Bikes
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Has anyone sent their Fox RP 23 to Push yet?
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I guess adding a bash ring is technically a setup change.

Saucy Size Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by artnshel
    Has anyone sent their Fox RP 23 to Push yet?
    No, but I did add the HV can to mine and really enjoyed the difference. The whole rear really becomes much more compliant and AM-ish (and, consequently, less XC-enduro-ish).

p.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    No, but I did add the HV can to mine and really enjoyed the difference. The whole rear really becomes much more compliant and AM-ish (and, consequently, less XC-enduro-ish).

p.
    I wasn't getting full travel at 1/2" of sag so I did the big can too and really like it. I also think I might like the feel of less compression damping so I'm thinking of trying Push. They've done wonders on a previous shock.
    2 wheels

banned

Seeing is better

p.

You got a picture of that, do you have plenty of clearance?

Saucy Size Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by motobutane
    You got a picture of that, do you have plenty of clearance?
    No pic on hand, and my dog ate my USB cable so I can't go take a quick shot, but on a Large frame I have puh-lenty of clearance. Note this is an RP23, and the HV can is, like, maybe an extra 1/2" in diameter over the regular one. Totally not a biggie.

p.

MTB B'dos

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

WTF is up with that? I swear they're more tempramental than damn kids My pup just up and decided today while I was gone for max an hour to chew up one of my not cheap, flip flops I wasn't out long, I'd played with him in the morning, fed him, treats etc. He hasn't chewed anything besides tissue paper in a long time and his stuffed toys which he could rip apart much easier are still intact - sometimes I just really wonder.

Sorry for the rant.

Oh and on topic, never felt the need for the HV can on my XL RIP9, always get full travel with about 10-12mm SAG.

No pic on hand, and my dog ate my USB cable so I can't go take a quick shot, but on a Large frame I have puh-lenty of clearance. Note this is an RP23, and the HV can is, like, maybe an extra 1/2" in diameter over the regular one. Totally not a biggie.

p.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    Hi Randy,

Sorry I haven't been on this thread for a while. Here is a really detailed post
    Front derailleur mounting on RIP9 ver 1.1 frame
    which describes the mod and derailleurs which work.

Looks good!

Brett
    Niner Bikes
    Got it straightened out and functioning... but wow is the height setting super critical to get all three ring gears working, Got in there with a file on the bottom of theRP23, and all is good. Thanks Brett for the link.

I don't race XC on this bike, so having an upright seating arrangement instead of a layed out low wind resistance, over the bars setup is favored by me. I will try lower spacing of the bars and a longer stem later, still need to find some used Formula K18's or K24s first.

Todays ride..

Spring time with California Poppies in bloom already, Temperature today was 74F.

MTB B'dos
    OK Randy, I gave you a pass on the L because you're a bit older than I and said you ride more tech stuff, don't race etc, BUT SERIOUSLY get that damn 50mm stem off that thing : At least throw a 100mm stem on there so you don't look like a damn English gentleman riding with top hat etc. sitting bolt upright Other that, it came together quite nice. Look slike you're lucky and having some fantastic weather already. Oh and when things permit, maybe you'll want that setback post
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Saucy Size Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Oh and on topic, never felt the need for the HV can on my XL RIP9, always get full travel with about 10-12mm SAG.
    There may be terrain differences between Barbados and Arizona to take into consideration. Also, I'm a lardass and run about 220# fully loaded on my bike.

p.

MTB B'dos

Hope SAG is SAG,

..................but I guess maybe the shock has different characteristics when run at higher pressures. 50lbs difference there so that's prob gona have you running the normal canned RP23 around 140-150 PSI, whereas I run mine around 110-120 PSI.

Oh and that's isn't politically correct of you, you may be barraged with hate mail because of it

There may be terrain differences between Barbados and Arizona to take into consideration. Also, I'm a lardass and run about 220# fully loaded on my bike.

p.
    Last edited by LyNx; 02-20-2009 at 11:56 AM.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Saucy Size Moderator
    It's not about the sag, it's about the compression characteristics of different volumes of air. The bigger volume means a shallower ramp-up and more linear compression. My problem with the standard can was that, at the pressures I run for correct sag, the ramp-up was too fast and I couldn't reach the bottom 20% of my stroke. That's probably less of an issue as you run lower pressures for lower loaded weights.

p.

MTB B'dos

Wink Well said and makes perfect sense

I think you stated that right It's nice sometimes to be the tall skinny dude I think the max I've weighed while riding was when I did the Mopnarch Crest ride in CO and loaded up for just about anything, pack was around 20-25lbs I think and still I was <200lbs, BUT, did have to add air to the RP23 as I could feel how different the bike felt with the added weight.

Maybe Niner should consider an option where you/they chose either the standard or HV option depending on your height to weight ratio for someone like me who's on an XL and only about 170lbs neked a standard can, for somene my height who weighs 220lbs+ a HV can.

It's not about the sag, it's about the compression characteristics of different volumes of air. The bigger volume means a shallower ramp-up and more linear compression. My problem with the standard can was that, at the pressures I run for correct sag, the ramp-up was too fast and I couldn't reach the bottom 20% of my stroke. That's probably less of an issue as you run lower pressures for lower loaded weights.

p.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    -Main purpose: all mountain, XC, Epic riding
    -Trail location: Northern California/SF Bay area
    -Frame: 09/X-Large/Silver
    -Riders dimensions: ~195lbs, 6'3", ~36" inseam
    -Stem: Thomson Elite X4 90mm
    -Handlebar: Niner Flat
    -Grips: Ergon GX-1 Race
    -Seatpost: Thomson 367mm black
    -Saddle: Bontrager Racelite
    -Fork: Rockshox Reba Team w/Maxlelite thru axle
    -Headset: Chris King, black
    -Brakes: Formula K24 160mm rotors
    -Shifters: Sram XO
    -Crankset: Shimano XT M770
    -Pedals: Shimano PD-m770XT
    -Chain: Shimano Dura Ace
    -Front Deraileur: Shimano XT
    -Rear Deraileur: Sram X9
    -Cassette: Shimano XT M770
    -Wheels: ZTR Arch
    -Hubs: Hope Pro II
    -Tires: Continental Mt.King Tubeless
    2.4 in front and 2.2 in rear
    -Weight: 29lbs. exactly

Other bikes: Trek and Gary Fisher 26" full-suspension and hardtails
    Future additions or changes: probably go with a larger rotor in front.
    Comments: I've only ridden it about a half dozen times from muddy to dry terrain. First impression is that cross country/downhill is fast and responsive. Uphill climbing not a huge difference from my 26", but that may be due to me being out of shape. Although locking front fork is a big plus. Shifting and braking is incredible. The Mt.King tires are awesome for muddy winter conditions, but not sure how they will do in dry summer trails. Going tubeless has been fine so far, although I do lose pressure in front for no reason. Love the Hope hubs. Also nice not having to take front tire on and off. Bought a Highroller upright bike mount. Only downside that I have found is the slightly less clearance from the ground to the bottom of crankarm from my 26" bike (about 1 inch). This seems to make a bigger difference going over stuff than I would have thought. Also, I'm still not too sure if I like the extra length of the handlebars. I'll have to wait until I ride more singletrack. Overall, it's a huge upgrade for me, and can't wait to hit the road to trailheads all over the west.

IMG_0962 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0963 (Medium).JPG

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast