-Trail location/terrain: Raleigh NC Area Singletrack
    -Stem (length/rise): Thomson Elite X4 - 50mm/0 degree
    -Seatpost: Thomson Elite
    -Saddle: WTB Pure V Race
    -Handlebar: Forte Carbon Riser - 680mm
    -Rear Shock: Fox RP2
    -Fork: Rockshox Pike RCT3 Solo Air 140mm, 51mm offset
    -Brakes: Formula RX
    -10sp Drivetrain Setup: Shimano M785 XT cranks 175mm (40/28), XT 10-36 cassette, Shimano M780 shifters, M786 Shadow Plus Rear, Shimano HG95 chain, Derailleur, M786 Front Derailleur
    -Tires: WTB Exiwolf 2.3 front/rear
    -Wheels: Stans Flow with HD 3.30 hubs
    -Pedals: Time ATAC XC8
    -Build Weight: 30.2 lbs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-bike1_1024.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    So a few weeks ago I went on a long road ride with a buddy, and after a while off the Rip, getting back on I felt like i was a bit too stretched out. People on here initially said I should try the bike with a 70 or even 50mm stem, so I ordered a 70mm Hope, which arrived the other day. Took my first ride with it yesterday, and it definitely made a huge difference. I had no problems with the Rip's handling before, but now it's even better.

I won't say it's quicker than before, but it feels more directly connected, more responsive. Picks a line and sticks on it, no wavering. Bars ended up only about 3mm lower, so not a major change, and since the stem is shorter, should keep the front weighted as much as before with the longer stem.

mtbr member

The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)

Quote Originally Posted by dba4life View Post
    Here is my 2011 Rip 9 size M, Raw

-Trail location/terrain: Raleigh NC Area Singletrack
    -Stem (length/rise): Thomson Elite X4 - 50mm/0 degree
    -Seatpost: Thomson Elite
    -Saddle: WTB Pure V Race
    -Handlebar: Forte Carbon Riser - 680mm
    -Rear Shock: Fox RP2
    -Fork: Rockshox Pike RCT3 Solo Air 140mm, 51mm offset
    -Brakes: Formula RX
    -10sp Drivetrain Setup: Shimano M785 XT cranks 175mm (40/28), XT 10-36 cassette, Shimano M780 shifters, M786 Shadow Plus Rear, Shimano HG95 chain, Derailleur, M786 Front Derailleur
    -Tires: WTB Exiwolf 2.3 front/rear
    -Wheels: Stans Flow with HD 3.30 hubs
    -Pedals: Time ATAC XC8
    -Build Weight: 30.2 lbs
    I don't know that there's a 3 year old model that looks as good as these. The raw has grown on me over time. Nice bike, man!
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    So a few weeks ago I went on a long road ride with a buddy, and after a while off the Rip, getting back on I felt like i was a bit too stretched out. People on here initially said I should try the bike with a 70 or even 50mm stem, so I ordered a 70mm Hope, which arrived the other day. Took my first ride with it yesterday, and it definitely made a huge difference. I had no problems with the Rip's handling before, but now it's even better.

I won't say it's quicker than before, but it feels more directly connected, more responsive. Picks a line and sticks on it, no wavering. Bars ended up only about 3mm lower, so not a major change, and since the stem is shorter, should keep the front weighted as much as before with the longer stem.
    I had my niner dealer put on my Race Face Turbine 60mm stem upon set up. I did however go back later and try the stock niner 90mm stem but went back after just one ride. If you look at the latest offerings (2015 FWIW) the RIP line now comes stock with the Niner trail stem, not sure if it is the 70 or 50mm though. It seems niner is listening to consumers (short stem/wide bars, Pike fork, dropper post etc) with their latest build offerings.

To take my statement about listening to the customer further, Niner should consider offering a wheel upgrade to the Niner Carbons from the Stans for an upcharge on their complete bike offerings upon ordering. I think Santa Cruise does this with Enve wheels.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    This may be a stupid question, but will my BB30 X9 crank work on a RIP 9 RDO?

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    No, the Rip 9 RDO has a 73mm English threaded BB and the BB30 is a larger press fit interface.
    It would work on the Jet RDO.
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    What I thought...but a site selling them said PF30....had me confounded for a moment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    No. I just replaced my Jet 9 RDO with a Rip 9 RDO. The Jet had the BB30 and I was hoping to use it but the Rip requires the GXP English crank. I ended up selling my crank set and upgraded to the Sram XX1 1x11. Cost me a little more for the upgrade but boy is that XX1 sweet! Highly recommend. Also, you're going to love that Rip!
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    For those of you running LEV dropper posts in your M RIP 9's - what's the ideal amount of travel? Debating 100mm vs. 125mm. I'm 5'9" and the frame is a 2010.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellgatebasement View Post
    For those of you running LEV dropper posts in your M RIP 9's - what's the ideal amount of travel? Debating 100mm vs. 125mm. I'm 5'9" and the frame is a 2010.

Thanks!
    As a data point for others, my Lev 125 dropper is inserted as far as it can go into my small RIP 9 RDO (I have a 30" inseam). Luckily, I don't need it lower at full extension. I'd get less drop (100mm) if I could do it again, as it would give more flexibility...and I don't typically drop it all the way anyway.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellgatebasement View Post

Thanks!
    Check this out for reference: Minimal dropper seatpost height when fully extended

Looks towards the end of the page for "limonko's" post. it shows dimensions you need to have to determine how much travel you can fit into your bike. You need to measure your current post length and then use that figure out what length LEV to get.

Always Learning
    XL RIP 9 all set up at 27.91 pounds with a triple (20/30/40) XT crank, Light Bicycle AM rims, 2.3 Renegades, Thomson -15 degree 130mm stem ready for Endurance Racing this weekend!!!

mtbr member
    Looks great. Good luck with your race. Need to hear results and experience on this setup.
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Here's my new RIP I got about a month ago. Mostly a 3-Star build but not exactly. Weighs in just under 30 lbs but that's a bathroom scale so who knows.

Frame: Med 2014 RIP 9 Alloy
    Fork: Revelation 130mm with sag markings
    Shock: Monarch RT3
    Wheels: Stans Flow EX
    Tires: 2.35 Nobby Nic's (tubeless)
    Brakes: XT 180/160mm
    Shifters and Derailleurs: XT
    Cassette, Chain, Crank: XT
    Bars: Niner Carbon
    Seat post: Niner carbon
    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-img_20140809_200314_005.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    First I've ever built from the ground up. Thanks for the wealth of knowledge here.

Frame and fork are used, would never know they weren't new, everything else is new. Full XT drive and brakes, 2x10 crank

Have a medium Air 9 and went with a small on this, glad I did, it's perfect

The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-imag.jpg

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseNotes View Post
    Looks great. Good luck with your race. Need to hear results and experience on this setup.
    Bike was great!! Especially on the rough, long descents, and the technical stuff. The aggressive position with the long stem flipped negative was perfect on the climbs, but perhaps got a bit uncomfortable on the neck for those really long descents that went on forever in the latter hours of the race. Nothing a dropper post wouldn't solve, but for one race the pain in the neck I felt was less than had I bought a dropper post for one event and suffered the pain in the neck from the wife for the expense. The gearing helped me on the climbs for sure compared to the 2 x 9 I ran on the JET 9 last time. I was able to spin up a lot more this time around.

The whole day just didn't feel like it was the greatest effort from me on Sunday, but I did manage to shave about 13:43 minutes off my time from 2012 when I rode the JET 9. Still trying to figure out exactly what endurance pace is/should be compared to shorter XC events. My only goal was to shave a bit of time from my last showing in 2012. I had my target set on shaving 20-30 minutes so I fell a little short of what I was hoping to do in terms of shaving off 30 minutes. Dealing with rain and some slick rocks, combined with stopping for a beer and bacon around mile 40 may have contributed to a few minutes that I could have trimmed. It was a fun time though and the extra squish of my RIP over my JET was well worth it for me.

And yes, the BB7's with 160mm front rotor and 140mm rear rotor was plenty for the 50 mile ride in the mountains with long descents - and with some rain. Not sure about the age old myth of having to stop mid-ride and adjust the knobs. Brakes were fine the entire race without any need to stop and adjust. And I went for a ride this morning where they are still fine. That's now 2 weeks of riding with over 100 miles and no knob turning.
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:26 AM.

mtbr member
    curious if anyone has the weight difference b/t a RIP9 alloy and Rip9 RDO? Large frame. I heard 295 grams savings on a medium frame, but not sure.

thx!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    It is close to .65 lbs
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Just started building up my RDO.

SHould I be concerned that I was able to press in the lower headset cup by hand? The top needed a press, but the bottom just popped right in by hand with not much force. It appears stable (ie I can't rotate it or easily pull it back out.

THanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    When I installed a canecreek headset in my Rip RDO, it required a press for top and bottom. If it doesn't move, I think it's ok. I'd give Niner a call to double check.

Biking Like Crazy!
    Mine went in pretty easy compared to the Rip 9 that they came out of, but with the preload you give the bearings it shouldn't be a problem.
    No creaking. Mine are the FSA headset. Remember to re-check them after a few ride though.

BTW you would be well served by checking cytoe's skid plates out for your frame!
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have brand new skid plate on it right now. I also had one on my Jet 9 that I am selling. Cytoe did great work with those. The RIP bottom linkages hang way more below the front 1x ring I have than the Jet did. No doubt I will need it.

Also going to do some preventative rock taping this time.

Any suggested areas besides the inside of the rear triangle and where any cables will rub?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm not sure I feel like taping mine up. Bikes and battle scars go well together, to me at least. Cable rub spots are another matter, I don't like those. Definitely considering that skid plate though...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'd definitely address the cable hot spots.

The only other suggestion I'd make is the inside of the rear triangle. It can get pretty beat up and its the only place I'm going to tape. I have always been a use it and abuse it owner of anything from bikes to skis to clothes. Keeping things nice seems like time that could be spent using the product so long as maintenance is done.

Maybe I'm getting more responsible as I get older. I guess I want any preventative protection I can get for obvious spots. The inside of the rear triangle can take a beating from tire rub to rocks, mud, etc. Other than that I don't see much need to tape as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    For the record, if anyone is on the fence with height (5'7"-5'8"), I'd go with a small.

The stand over height, flickability is greatly improved over the larger size and I don't think I gave up anything in stability. Way more "in the bike" feel people talk about.

RIP 9 RDO is a fantastic bike.

Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast