Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast
    mtbr member

The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)

Quote Originally Posted by SundayRiverRider View Post
    Man, that green looks so nice. Especially compared to the boring Raw new S2012 frameset I'm finishing up a build on. Everything sorted, but I think I might like wide beefy tires. I've gotten used to 2.4's on my xc bike, and I think I will probably want the chunkiest I can find for the RIP. What are the biggest tires people are using on this frame? I have a new pair of Hutchinson 2.3 front/ 2.1 rear Toro tubeless, but I may want a bigger rear tire. I'm using Easton Haven ust rims. I ride in really bumpy, rooty, rocky crap a lot so I need a tire that can hold up to some abuse too. Suggestions appreciated.
    I ran Chunky Monkey 2.4s front and rear on my RIP. Wide, high volume, tons of grip, and only $35.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

trail "cleaner"
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    I ran Chunky Monkey 2.4s front and rear on my RIP. Wide, high volume, tons of grip, and only $35.
    Yep +1.... Even better when using them on 35mm wide CF rims. No problems with clearance...
    No dabs allowed!

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by SundayRiverRider View Post
    Man, that green looks so nice. Especially compared to the boring Raw new S2012 frameset I'm finishing up a build on. Everything sorted, but I think I might like wide beefy tires. I've gotten used to 2.4's on my xc bike, and I think I will probably want the chunkiest I can find for the RIP. What are the biggest tires people are using on this frame? I have a new pair of Hutchinson 2.3 front/ 2.1 rear Toro tubeless, but I may want a bigger rear tire. I'm using Easton Haven ust rims. I ride in really bumpy, rooty, rocky crap a lot so I need a tire that can hold up to some abuse too. Suggestions appreciated.
    These bikes really reward being on the right tire at the right time, I would buy atleast an extra front wheel & have it setup to go.
    I just brought a couple more front < Hope Hoops front wheels from CRC, Flow EX rim's build up with Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs for less than $200 delivered is hard to go wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hey all - I haven't been able to read this whole thread, but I think I've seen some of you say you don't use 51mm offset forks, intentionally. Other brands like Ibis are saying 51mm is the Holy Grail for 29ers, so can someone explain why you don't like them on the Rip9?

Also, are Pike forks a factory option (not shown in their Star builds), or are you just getting them swapped at the LBS?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I went with the 48mm (?) off set as the bike was designed with that in mind. Also by recommendations from others here who own both off set forks on RIP 9's
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    good suggestions on those chunky monkeys, thanks guys. Muzz I will look into another wheelset, but I have other bikes to ride too when the conditions warrant different tires/set ups ( i.e. xc bike, and fat bike). The RIP is going to be my bombing around thru gnarly terrain bike. Anyways, glad to see big tires will fit in the rear of the RIP9. I hadn't measured it yet, so I'm glad you folks had already figured it all out. I appreciate the feedback.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    hey all - I haven't been able to read this whole thread, but I think I've seen some of you say you don't use 51mm offset forks, intentionally. Other brands like Ibis are saying 51mm is the Holy Grail for 29ers, so can someone explain why you don't like them on the Rip9?

Also, are Pike forks a factory option (not shown in their Star builds), or are you just getting them swapped at the LBS?
    1st up there is no Holy Grail, for every plus there is a neg somewhere.

With the 51mm offset, People are often trying to get the fork to give back what there frame has taken away.

The Rip9 doesn't suffer such problems.

I have both & like the 46mm more, The bike is more stable , Has a shorter wheel base & doesn't wonder as much on steep climbs.

Some riders could ride both & not pick up the difference, But others would really notice it.

Either way your ridding can adjust & it sure isn't a deal killer.

There is still far more difference between how different fork types make the bike work, Than the difference between 46 & 51 offset.

Just my 2 c, Hope this helps.

mtbr member

Strange how the RIP was "designed around 46mm offset", yet the F34 that comes on the 4 star alloy build and the 5 star XTR RDO build has a 51mm offset. Must not matter a whole lot.

I ran my 51mm Pike 150 on my alloy and loved it.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Strange how the RIP was "designed around 46mm offset", yet the F34 that comes on the 4 star alloy build and the 5 star XTR RDO build has a 51mm offset. Must not matter a whole lot.

I wonder if it could be because of the ability to switch between 140 and 110 travel?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

Carbon & Ti rule
    kragu;11182458]Strange how the RIP was "designed around 46mm offset", yet the F34 that comes on the 4 star alloy build and the 5 star XTR RDO build has a 51mm offset. Must not matter a whole lot.
    It doesn't matter that much, far more a fine tuning thing, Than a major bike setup change. IMO

In this case the 150mm travel fork would have slowed down the steering & the 51mm offset will have speeded it back up.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    It doesn't matter that much, far more a fine tuning thing, Than a major bike setup change. IMO

In this case the 150mm travel fork would have slowed down the steering & the 51mm offset will have speeded it back up.
    Now that you say that, I remember that being a part of the process when I was deciding on the offset.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

Ridin Red
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    2014 Rip 9 Medium
    Purpose- XC/Trail/Fun
    Rider weight -170lbs w/ gear
    Inseam - 30in
    Stock 3 star build (Full XT Shimano)
    Wheels - Roval Control Carbon
    Fork - Pike 140
    Pedals - XT trail
    Weight - 28.7lbs w/pedals
    Great looking bike stygz1, that's pretty much what I'm looking at getting. Can I ask how much you paid for it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks cyclones30. It has been a great bike so far. I got one reserved for rent on my trip to Sedona on June 29th. Seriously considering a wider bar. Maybe a RDO 780mm carbon or Renthal fatbar lite carbon 740mm
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Here's my Ripper. Comes in at 31pounds, 10 ounces, which is heavier than I'd hoped, but it doesn't feel that heavy on the trail.

Frame 2014 Niner RIP 9 Large
    Fork Rock Shox Pike 140mm

Components
    Headset King Inset 2
    Bottom Bracket Truvativ GXP
    Crankset SRAM s-1250 22/33
    Seatpost KS Lev 100mm
    Shifters SRAM X9 10 speed
    Brake Levers Hope Tech X2
    F. Derailleur SRAM X7 S3 DM
    R. Derailleur SRAM X9 Type 2 10 speed med cage
    Cassette SRAM PG 1070 11-36
    Chain KMC 10 speed
    Brakes Hope Tech X2 SE 183mm
    Cables Jagwire Titanium braided
    Seat Clamp Niner

Front Wheel
    Rim Stan's Arch
    Hub Hope Pro 2
    Spokes DT Comp
    Tire Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25

Rear Wheel
    Rim Stan's Arch
    Hub Hope Pro 2
    Spokes DT Comp
    Tire Maxxis Ikon EXO 2.2

Handlebar Niner 710mm
    Stem + spacers Hope 90mm
    Seat Specialized Henge
    Pedals Time ATAC ROC Carbon
    Grips Ergon GR2
    Computer Garmin Edge 510
    Accessories Hope Matchmakers, linkage shield
    Last edited by rufus; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:01 PM.

mtbr member
    That's odd. I came in at 30.5 with substantially heavier tires, albeit running 1x10. If you can drop your FD, its shifter, and cable, you'll save almost a pound.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Not gonna ditch the front derailleur. Need all the climbing help I can get, and other than trying to wrap my head around an almost 32 pound measurement, the weight doesn't bother me.

Those Time pedals and Ergon grips are 1.5 pounds all by themselves.

mtbr member
    Love those Times. They're my go-to pedal for XC, though I used flats on the RIP and now on the Lunchbox.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-14616385962_481e25848c_b.jpg

Main purpose: Trail Riding
    -Trail location/terrain: Central Oregon (Bend) - Northwest Singletrack
    -Frame Year/Size/Color: 2014 L Green
    -Rider Weight: 215
    -Rider Height/Inseam: 6'1"/35"
    -Stem (length/rise): Thomson Elite X4 - 90mm/10 degree (flipped)
    -Grips: Lizard Skins North Shore
    -Seatpost: Thomson Elite
    -Saddle: Fizik Tundra
    -Handlebar: Thomson Carbon All-Mountain riser - 730mm
    -Rear Shock: Monarch RT3
    -Fork: Fox Float 32 w. CTD, FIT - 130mm
    -Brake Setup: Shimano XT, 180mm front, 160mm rear
    -Drivetrain Setup: SRAM XX1 cranks (32t), X01 everywhere else (10-42t cassette)
    -Cables : SRAM Slickwire
    -Tires: Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4 front, Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25 rear
    -Wheels: Roval Control Carbons, upgraded to 36 step ratchet
    -Pedals: Time ATAC XC8
    -Build Weight: Haven't weighed it. Feels spry enough!

I told myself that once I'd lost a bike's worth of weight (30 lbs) I'd get myself a new toy. This is it! Its my first time owning a full suspension bike after a lifetime of racing hardtails. Its a real blast, and has changed my riding already.

I also made a time lapse of the build, which you can see here:

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If you don't mind me asking how much for the dt 240 hub upgrade parts?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    If you don't mind me asking how much for the dt 240 hub upgrade parts?
    They are typically around $90 for the 36 step star rachets.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I see the new Rip 9 spec update is almost the same as how I had mine built/upgraded. I don't have the dropper post....not sure if I care about that, already had the shorter stem from other bike, just got my RDO 780 bars Monday.

Niner listened to the demand for the Pike!
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuttermax View Post
    They are typically around $90 for the 36 step star rachets.
    I just ordered some for my DT 240.. $80 with my 15% discount at my LBS.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I am going to call my niner dealer and see if they have them Instock. Otherwise my lbs should be able to order them for me.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

Dave
    Congrats on your weight loss man. Fine looking green Niner there man. How do you like the 1x10?
    I need to ride more and work less.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by liteandfast View Post
    Congrats on your weight loss man. Fine looking green Niner there man. How do you like the 1x10?
    Hey, thanks!

I've been a bit mixed on the 1x10 so far. I've been impressed with its ability to keep the chain in place, and I've loved the simplicity of the setup. I've got great gear range that covers most situations. I like the stiffness of the new x01 derailleurs, also. Not worrying about gear overlap/cross chaining is glorious, and not managing a front derailleur is very nice also.

On the other hand, the jumps between cogs are larger than I'd like. It is difficult to find the perfect cadence (I'm in the spin to win camp). To be fair, the XX setup suffers from larger cog jumps than I'd like towards the bottom of the range (easier gears) also. Another gripe with the large jumps is that shifting is just a bit clunkier than on a more sanely spaced cassette. Finally, I'm not a huge fan of the XD freehub bodies. The threading seems like a recipe for trouble in an extended wear scenario, but we shall see.

For the folks that asked about the 36 step ratchet, they usually come in around $90. Replacement is a breeze. If you've never rebuilt a DT-Swiss freehub its a bit of a revelation (especially if you *have* rebuilt older pawl-based freehubs, then had a pawl go flying under the couch when the whole thing exploded), so its a good excuse to dive in
    Last edited by tristans; 3 Days Ago at 10:54 AM.

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast