Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Looks great! Really thinking of trading my Fuel 29 for a 3 or 4 star build in green. Having trouble deciding between the two builds. Are the brake rotors the Ice tech type? Any plans of putting on the trail stem or RDO 780 bars?

So what beer top are you going to use on the YAWD?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolling In Peace View Post
    You guys should try running wide bars with a short stem. I am running 750mm bars with a 50mm stem on a medium frame and really like the setup. It make the bike very lively and flickable
    I rode it with a borrowed 50mm stem and liked it but have been getting used to climbing on my rip coming from a XC HT. I have 720mm bars now and plan on picking up a 50mm stem after awhile.

Put in a big 20.4 mile ride with around 3000ft of climbing yesterday and was so much more comfortable on my rip compared to my HT (obviously). Biggest ride on the rip yet, loving it!
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

mtbr member
    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-imag0669.jpgHere is mine;

RDO medium
    Reba RCT3 130mm
    XT drivetrain and brakes
    Reverb
    Industry Nine enduro wheelset
    Thomson 70mm stem
    Syntace vector bars 740mm
    WTB volt seat
    Lizard Skin Peaty grips

I am 5'10" with a 32" cycling inseam. Fits perfect.
    Not a MTBR legend.

Dave

Well the with a 30 mile ride and over 4000 ft of climbing I can say these tires rock

on this Niner. This baby climbed everything I could motor up. down oh man I had some warp-speed descents and never lost an edge. Bye bye RR. Hello Nevegal

Quote Originally Posted by liteandfast View Post
    I used to run these on my Pivot429 and the new steed RIP9 came with RR. They felt too soft and not enough grip for my taste of trail. So back to my regular tire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-new-nevegals-1.jpg  

I need to ride more and work less.

mtbr member

The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)

on this Niner. This baby climbed everything I could motor up. down oh man I had some warp-speed descents and never lost an edge. Bye bye RR. Hello Nevegal
    There are sexier options out there, but the Nevegal is one of the mainstays in the tire kingdom for a reason. The Nev and Rampage are my old school favorites.
    Last edited by kragu; 03-27-2014 at 03:29 PM.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member

I just got a RIP 9 RDO and the rubber shifter gasket on the downtube does not stay in the hole, it's not flaired like the one on my JET 9 RDO. Has anyone had this issue?

mtbr member

Here she is. All the parts are from my JET 9 RDO that it's replacing. I won't be able to ride it till Monday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quote View Post

Here she is. All the parts are from my JET 9 RDO that it's replacing. I won't be able to ride it till Monday.
    Nice bike, I can see the rear derailleur cable grommet/gasket loose from the frame. I used a zip tie around the housing at that point to keep mine in place on my Jet9RDO. It has the same routing.

mtbr member
    Have you tried the Nevegal X Pro? I am wondering about this tire when I build up my Rip9RDO (hopefully soon )

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by oaklandish View Post
    Nice bike, I can see the rear derailleur cable grommet/gasket loose from the frame. I used a zip tie around the housing at that point to keep mine in place on my Jet9RDO. It has the same routing.
    Luckily the shop hasn't sent out my JET 9 yet and was able to grab that piece from the frame. I'll go pick it up over the weekend. Not sure why some of them don't wedge in correctly.

mtbr member
    Luckily the shop hasn't sent out my JET 9 yet and was able to grab that piece from the frame. I'll go pick it up over the weekend. Not sure why some of them don't wedge in correctly.
    It looks like, and I am willing to bet, the length of the rear derailleur housing coming back out of the frame is a little on the short side. This makes for a much more acute angle/radius that the housing has to bend before it makes it to the seat stay , and this in turn, puts extra upward force on the grommet and pulls it out of the frame.

Not saying that lengthening the housing would for sure keep it in place, but I'll bet the old grommet won't fare much better if left alone.

Does the grommet come out from the bottom side first when it is working its way out?

mtbr member

If there was no cable, it would fall out on its own with no effort, the grommet it just not made correctly, like it's too small. My other one has some resistance and pressure when inserting it.

Right now if I tilt the bike up, as in pull the front wheel up while not even riding it, it will just slide down the cable from its hole. If I set it down and slide it back it slots right in. Kind of like those kid toys in the doctors waiting room with all the different color pipes and beads on them. It's not a big deal. Your fix would work too, but my other grommet seems like it was made to actually hold itself in the downtube and needs effort to remove it.

It could be fixed easily wrapping the inner part with electrical tape to widen it too, I might try that for the hell of it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Going to get price on Rip 9 tomorrow. Looking at Alloy XT build in green. I am trying to work in a set of Industry Nine wheels, Trail stem, and 780 MM RDO bars.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

Carbon & Ti rule
    It is very hard to tell in the photo, But to me the gear shift cable looks way to short.

The cable needs to head down towards the BB & then head back.

Remember the rear Triangle has to move up quite a bit at full travel.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-my-rip9-rdo-003.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    It is very hard to tell in the photo, But to me the gear shift cable looks way to short.

The cable needs to head down towards the BB & then head back.

Remember the rear Triangle has to move up quite a bit at full travel.
    Muzz, that is exactly what I was describing above. You're dropper cable on the other hand could use some trimming

Quote: I'm not saying the grommet isn't too small, but I definitely think the der cable routing needs to be addressed as well. If the shop is taking it off to get the old grommet back on, I would ask them to change the cable and housing to look more like Muzz's.

mtbr member

The picture makes it look more straight than it is because the bike is leaning back and the photo is taken from close to the ground. In life its pretty accurate with how Niner had them set up here:

Carbon & Ti rule
    Muzz, that is exactly what I was describing above. You're dropper cable on the other hand could use some trimming
    That Photo is old, The day I built it I think.

Many forks, brake sets & wheels have been fitted since then, It was the only photo I had that you could get a good look at the rear cable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Anyone with the Fox 34 Talas on a 2014 Rip can tell me if that fork has some sort of handlebar mounted remote? Does the fork also have the trail adjust? How do you like the fork?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Figured as much Muzz. Awesome looking ride as well.

Im now going back and forth on the color choice for mine. Blue...Black...Licorice....Rally...black...blue... . and so on.

mtbr member
    Licorice it is. Should be in my hands/under foot by next weekend. I'm gonna go crazy waiting this out. I have a KS lev and a Cane Creek headset on order as well. I already have a new Pike 140mm RCT3 and the rest of the parts will switch over from my Jet9RDO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Licorice it is. Should be in my hands/under foot by next weekend. I'm gonna go crazy waiting this out. I have a KS lev and a Cane Creek headset on order as well. I already have a new Pike 140mm RCT3 and the rest of the parts will switch over from my Jet9RDO.

Cane Creek adjustable headset?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    Cane Creek adjustable headset?
    Standard inset type. I wanted to ride it like this for awhile and see how it treats me on my trails. The Jet9 was too steep for my style and terrain so this is 2 degrees shallower with the 140 Pike. I was not ready to spend the extra $100 to move up to the angleset until I was sure I needed a more slack ride. I was thinking the Works Components was the way I would go for this as I have read some rumblings about the Cane Creek version making noise or something.

mtbr member
    Fresh off the assembly line!

I am waiting on the dropper post, so it has a loaner from the LBS on it currently. Not been to the dirt yet with this, but today or tomorrow at the latest I'll get a shakedown run in. I am super excited about this bike.

-Main purpose (XC, AM, etc): AM/XC/
    -Trail location/terrain: Bay Area and Northern California
    -Frame Year/Size/Color: 14/Large/Black
    -Rider Weight: 185lbs geared
    -Rider Height/Inseam: 6' 1.5"/ 36.5" inseam (long ass legs)
    -Stem (length/rise): 3TTT 70mm, +17 rise
    -Grips: Ritchey WCS
    -Seatpost: waiting on the dropper
    -Saddle: Fizik Aliante Versus
    -Handlebar: ENVE 740mm low rise carbon
    -Pedals: Shimano XT clipless
    -Rear Shock: Stock CTD
    -Rear settings (psi, etc.): 155psi (still working this out)
    -Fork: Pike 140mm 46mm offset
    -Fork settings (psi, etc.): 80psi. (still working on this)
    -Brake Setup: XTR Trail 180mm front, 165mm rear
    -Drivetrain Setup: 2x10, XTR 985 cranks, XT r mech, XT f 11-36
    -Cables : XTR
    -Tires: Maxxis Ikon 2.35 front and rear (still working this out)
    -Wheels: LB carbon, Hadley hubs. Through axle front and rear
    -Build Weight: Haven't weighed

The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-img_1339_2.jpg

The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-img_1337_2.jpg

The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-img_1338_2.jpg

Carbon & Ti rule
    Nice bike.

mtbr member

Let me know how you like that wheelset. I have Mavic Crossmax STs and I pretty much hate them.

Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast