Front fork Fox 100mm set at 90psi
    Seat post: Thomson
    Stem: Thomson
    Handlebar: Salsa Carbon Pro Moto 25 inches wide
    Headset: Kingkong
    Wheels: Bontrager hoops and Dt Swiss hubs
    Tires: Kenda Nevegals / Nevegals corner and bite great
    Miles: 500 plus just had it 9 weeks

This bike changed the way I ride. I can bomb the downhills now.I had a 60mm stem and changed to a 90mm and it feels too long for me so I'm switching to a 70mm.The propedal feature is never used unless I have to ride a paved road- this also makes me sick to my stomach.Sorry for the dirt I have ridden almost 4 times a week since I bought this bike.My 9 is fading on the right side,I usually unclip my left foot and rest the bike on my leg, I guess " sweat" or my bike shorts are rubbing against it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    Nov 2008

That thing is the....

SHIZNIT!

and that is fo-schizzle.

mtbr member

I am posting for 2 reasons

First Reason: To keep this Thread towards the top of the Niner Bikes - I think it should be stickied.

Second Reason: Because I have to do something to contain my excitement. I am so close to completing my components purchases, I can barely take it. I have to be patient, because I am building on a budget, I just hope that my patience pays off. I will post what I can, anything left out either is not purchased, or has not been decided upon.

Purpose: XC/AM - Longer Rides than my GF HT
    Rider Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 210 (racing season), 220 all other times
    Frame: 2008 Closeout L/Anno Silver w/ Fox RP23
    Fork: Manitou Minute w/ 20mm thru Axle (black)
    Crankset: Truvativ Noir 3 Ring
    Shifters: SRAM x9
    Rear Derailleur: Sram x0
    Front Derailleur: XT
    Handlebars: Bontrager Race X-Lite Flat OS w/ 9 deg backswing
    Seatpost: Thomson Elite Straight
    Brakes: Avid Juicy 7 185mm front, 160mm rear rotors
    Headset: FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro

Still Deciding:......... (In order of preference)
    Wheels: Stans Arches, Bonty Race Lite UST, Mavic Crossmax
    Hubs: WTB Laser Lite, Hope Pro II
    Seat: SI Flite, WTB Rocket V
    Cassette: Sram 970, 990
    Chain: SRAM PG-990 Cross Step (970 is garbage)
    Stem: Bonty Race X-Lite, FSA OS-99, Race Face Deus
    Pedals: Shimano SPD - cheapest, lightest, and available on ebay
    Changes: I may change from flat bars fairly quickly. I did not like these bars on my HT, and so I might not like them on my FS. I will know after a few rides.

Any thoughts on the unpurchased products would be appreciated. Budget is my primary concern, weight is a close second. By taking time, I am able to wait to pay for the items I really want. This will work except that I can't see forking over $775 for the Crossmax wheels when I can get the Stans or Bonty Rims at nearly 60% of the price.

To Be Continued.............
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pynis McDermott
    First Reason: To keep this Thread towards the top of the Niner Bikes - I think it should be stickied.

Second Reason: Because I have to do something to contain my excitement. I am so close to completing my components purchases, I can barely take it. I have to be patient, because I am building on a budget, I just hope that my patience pays off. I will post what I can, anything left out either is not purchased, or has not been decided upon.

Any thoughts on the unpurchased products would be appreciated. Budget is my primary concern, weight is a close second. By taking time, I am able to wait to pay for the items I really want. This will work except that I can't see forking over $775 for the Crossmax wheels when I can get the Stans or Bonty Rims at nearly 60% of the price.My Avid brakes came with organic pads that wear real fast, so watch-em.

Yea I think there's a Jet sticky and no Rip sticky The build....that scram 990 cassette with the red spider-sweet. The crossmax's may not be worth the money, I don't think they are very stiff, Hope and Stan's yea! XTR shimano pedals new $120, eggbeaters would be lighter and cheaper. What's the travel on the fork? I have wanted to ask the question on this forum about a 120mm vs a 100mm the question of geometry, is the 08 rip designed for 120mm of travel in the front? Will the extra 20mm affect handling??

Sometimes my spelling is off on purpose

MTB B'dos

Hope

As to '08 RIP9 geo, no no change from '07, designed around a 100mm fork A to C of about 520/5 mm I believe.

Wheels, not even a question......Stand FLOWS laced to Hope Pro2s. Easy tubeless, strong and light for about $550. Also easily convertable between QR, 10mm and 20mm - just popped the ends caps off and replace with whatever sized you need, 5 min job. Really want a stiff rear wheel, use the SS/Trials hub and run 6 cogs on it and get a dishless wheel :thumb\sup:

Pick up the PG990 in stead of the 970 or better yet try to find an XT on sale and get the lightest sub $100 cassette out. I have the red ano PG990 to match my red Hope parts also have an XT.

On the fork, the 120mm Minute is very sweet on the RIP9, the greater offset helps offset the higher A to C (only 15mm taller than a 100mm Reba) and the TA is fantasticly stiff. I may still lower travel by about 10mm as I really like how the RIP9 rides with a 100mm Reba (38mm offset).

Quote Originally Posted by motobutane
    Yea I think there's a Jet sticky and no Rip sticky The build....that scram 990 cassette with the red spider-sweet. The crossmax's may not be worth the money, I don't think they are very stiff, Hope and Stan's yea! XTR shimano pedals new $120, eggbeaters would be lighter and cheaper. What's the travel on the fork? I have wanted to ask the question on this forum about a 120mm vs a 100mm the question of geometry, is the 08 rip designed for 120mm of travel in the front? Will the extra 20mm affect handling??

Sometimes my spelling is off on purpose
    Last edited by LyNx; 01-17-2009 at 05:31 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    These RIP9s are old news and have had problems, they want this thread to die a naturla death and not draw attention to itself
    Not true Lyncoln. These first generation RIP9's are very, very awesome bikes. Sure we saw some breakage in the L and XL sizes on 07 but every one that broke was taken care of with an 08 (yourself included!) The 08 is a very solid bike.

Heck, my old 07 Large is still killing it as a front range bike and has more mileage than probably most people will ever imagine riding! It's still going strong.

Where else can you buy a frame design that is probably one of least understood yet pedals consistent across all three chain rings with barely any chain growth, no pedal kick back, and low leverage ratio at these prices of a closeout or second hand RIP9? For the fun factor, I've been told by many of my dealers this frame pedals better than all the $2200+ (insert frame here) XYZ mini-link suspension design they also sell.

It's these bikes which are very affordable right now - these are the bikes which will show people just how well CVA pedals. Once they hammer that first power hill out-of-the-saddle standing in big ring and feel the bottomless travel on that first baby head descent for the first time...it's all over. But you know I am biased.

Brett
    Niner Bikes
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 2melow; 01-16-2009 at 04:50 PM.
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

banned
    Nov 2008

I can definitely vote...

Stem: Bonty Race X-Lite, FSA OS-99, Race Face Deus
    Changes: I may change from flat bars fairly quickly. I did not like these bars on my HT, and so I might not like them on my FS. I will know after a few rides.

Any thoughts on the unpurchased products would be appreciated. Budget is my primary concern, weight is a close second. By taking time, I am able to wait to pay for the items I really want. This will work except that I can't see forking over $775 for the Crossmax wheels when I can get the Stans or Bonty Rims at nearly 60% of the price.

for any other wheel than the crossmax's. I just sold mine and picked up a set of 317 on deore hubs while I am awaiting my Hope pro2's and stans arch to be built. I was amazed at how much of what I thought was flex in the rear end of the bike was actually the crossmax wheels. I paid $100 for the set of cheap deore wheels and they ride better than $800 wheels? I am not a clydesdale by any stretch of the imagination either. Go with a regular 3 cross standard spoke count wheelset, you will be much happier.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    Not true Lyncoln. These first generation RIP9's are very, very awesome bikes. Sure we saw some breakage in the L and XL sizes on 07 but every one that broke was taken care of with an 08 (yourself included!) The 08 is a very solid bike.

Heck, my old 07 Large is still killing it as a front range bike and has more mileage than probably most people will ever imagine riding! It's still going strong.

Where else can you buy a frame design that is probably one of least understood yet pedals consistent across all three chain rings with barely any chain growth, no pedal kick back, and low leverage ratio at these prices of a closeout or second hand RIP9? For the fun factor, I've been told by many of my dealers this frame pedals better than all the $2200+ (insert frame here) XYZ mini-link suspension design they also sell.

It's these bikes which are very affordable right now - these are the bikes which will show people just how well CVA pedals. Once they hammer that first power hill out-of-the-saddle standing in big ring and feel the bottomless travel on that first baby head descent for the first time...it's all over. But you know I am biased.

Brett
    Niner Bikes

- You may be biased but every word you spoke is quite true.

The RIP (to me) feels alot like the 1 gen. VPP bikes from Santa Cruz but better. They don't creak, eat DU bushings, or bearings. I for one can't wait until my 09' lands as it's somehow improved over my 07'/08'. Pretty impressive from such a young, VERY focused bike company.

MTB B'dos
    Brett, sorry, the comment (I have edited my post) was made to get a reaction as it seems the only real way to get any attention around here. I've asked for this to be stickied as have others, yet it sounds on deaf ears it would seem. I don't see why it can't be stickied since there's a JET9 one and see no reason to not have dedicated ones for the others models in the line up so when someone comes looking for images and info on a specific model it's right there at the top of the forum - makes life very simple and easy for prospective clients.

As to Niner and warranty, I would never say a bad word as far as that's concerned, you guys were top notch in my case and in every other case I have read of regarding warranty.

The RIP9 is a very solid bike and although I can still feel the flex in my ver 1.4/'08 it still is great and on the version 1 I had that cracked, that had on well over 2500 hard miles before it failed. I thoroughly enjoy my RIP9 and will continue to for as long as I can and maybe sometime in the future maybe the newly revised RIP9 might make it into my posession.

Brett
    Niner Bikes
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Everyone,

Thank you for the input regarding the wheels. The bottom line why I will not go with the Crossmax is price, they are too expensive for my budget. I could finish my build for the cost of just these wheels. I like the Arches for my purposes and terrain (AZ Desert). Hubs, likely the Hopes, but maybe the WTB Laser Lites as well.

Brett, stated perfectly, and thanks for the pic of the '07 (or maybe '08) with the 120mm fork.

I will follow with pics ASAFP. (F = financially)

Until then, "Pedal Damn It."

MTB B'dos

New question here. Arch over Flow?

Got to agree with ya on the price thing for the CrossMaxx wheels, way over priced IMHO and if you get a chance to compare the engagment to the Hopes I bet you'll be suprised.

Very curious why you would chose to run the Arches over the Flows in territory like Arizona? I'd think the wider rim would help give a wide foot print and that would be useful there, especially if you're going for the more AM build running a 120mm fork.

Pic is of an '07.
    Everyone,

Thank you for the input regarding the wheels. The bottom line why I will not go with the Crossmax is price, they are too expensive for my budget. I could finish my build for the cost of just these wheels. I like the Arches for my purposes and terrain (AZ Desert). Hubs, likely the Hopes, but maybe the WTB Laser Lites as well.

Brett, stated perfectly, and thanks for the pic of the '07 (or maybe '08) with the 120mm fork.

I will follow with pics ASAFP. (F = financially)

Until then, "Pedal Damn It."
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Moderator Moderator
    You bet Pynis.

Guys, if you are still trying to find an 07-08 and are having a hard time - email me and I can probably help you locate one. A lot of our dealers want to move old stock or demo bikes and don't have time to actively peruse mtbr all day or even know of this website where people are still looking.

Thanks,

Brett
    Niner Bikes
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

Flaccid Member
    You bet Pynis.

Guys, if you are still trying to find an 07-08 and are having a hard time - email me and I can probably help you locate one. A lot of our dealers want to move old stock or demo bikes and don't have time to actively peruse mtbr all day or even know of this website where people are still looking.

Thanks,

Brett
    Niner Bikes

Except for XL's in Atomic Blue. But I give Brett an A+ for effort.
    Last edited by Boyonadyke; 01-19-2009 at 10:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Got to agree with ya on the price thing for the CrossMaxx wheels, way over priced IMHO and if you get a chance to compare the engagment to the Hopes I bet you'll be suprised.

Very curious why you would chose to run the Arches over the Flows in territory like Arizona? I'd think the wider rim would help give a wide foot print and that would be useful there, especially if you're going for the more AM build running a 120mm fork.

Pic is of an '07.
    I'm still trying to learn as much as I can about these wheels. I just checked out the Stans website, but could not find much info. All I know is that I want either the Arch wheel or the Flow wheel over the 355 because of flex. Why do you like the Flow better?

Flaccid Member
    I'm still trying to learn as much as I can about these wheels. I just checked out the Stans website, but could not find much info. All I know is that I want either the Arch wheel or the Flow wheel over the 355 because of flex. Why do you like the Flow better?
    Go with Flow... I just asked LyNx this in a PM. Wider rim, better footprint for All Mountain tires, and less flex, more rigidity. I've heard the 355's referred to as "noodley" and in need of truing time at the bench rather frequently.

MTB B'dos

Wink FLOW is bigger

Well basically I like the Flow better because it's the Arch's big brother so to speak - burlier, wider, deeper - which to me more suits "AM" type riding and bigger tyres better. The Arch is only 24mm wide, whereas the Flow is 28mm.

FLOW 525g

ARCH 470g
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Well basically I like the Flow better because it's the Arch's big brother so to speak - burlier, wider, deeper - which to me more suits "AM" type riding and bigger tyres better. The Arch is only 24mm wide, whereas the Flow is 28mm.
    Thanks so much for the diagrams and the info. I will opt for the Flows if I can locate them for less than $500/wheelset. Really Great Input!

Thank You,

Nathan.

MTB B'dos
    Bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Since no one seems to think this fit for stickying, I guess I'll just have to continue to bump it up to the top of the forum
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    I got another bump. Thanks to everyone for the wheel advice. Just bought some Stans Flows on Ebay, and they happened to be from the same shop where I bought my bike (Big Kahuna). They are everything I wanted except that the WTB Laserlite Hubs were my second choice. Oh well, got them at as good as a price as I could find. I will have pics and a build post sooner than later.

MTB B'dos

Good job!

Glad to know this thread was of help to you maybe some wise Mod will figure it out eventually and sticky it

I got another bump. Thanks to everyone for the wheel advice. Just bought some Stans Flows on Ebay, and they happened to be from the same shop where I bought my bike (Big Kahuna). They are everything I wanted except that the WTB Laserlite Hubs were my second choice. Oh well, got them at as good as a price as I could find. I will have pics and a build post sooner than later.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Flaccid Member
    Hey Brett, how about asking The Powers That Be Here how to make a post a sticky, since you are a Moderator here?

MTB B'dos
    Damn, keeping this thing up to the top of the forum is geting to be a PITA Hurry up and finish that RIP9 RB.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Flaccid Member
    Damn, keeping this thing up to the top of the forum is geting to be a PITA Hurry up and finish that RIP9 RB.

I'm buying components as fast as they go up for sale at a good price at the swap meets. Lately, the swap meets have been rained out. Maybe my Stylo's and 990 arrive soon. Can't put 950's on titanium carriers, unless you want to destroy the carrier on a Hadley hub.

This still needs to be made a sticky, Mr. Brett of Niner Bikes.

Saucy Size Moderator
    As my first official act as Niner mod, I dub this thread stickied.

p.

MTB B'dos
    YEAH, PaulB for Super MOD thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    As my first official act as Niner mod, I dub this thread stickied.

p.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast