Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    MTB B'dos
    Nice RIP9, great build
    If the trails in the pics are indicative of what you ride I think you'll be quite happy with them - the Mtn.Kings love loamy - but if you have some good rock/hardpack you might not be so happy, especially with the 2.2" - small, tall knobs are quite squirmy on hardpack.

Quote Originally Posted by fljohnmtbkr
    ................................Comments: I've only ridden it about a half dozen times from muddy to dry terrain. First impression is that cross country/downhill is fast and responsive. Uphill climbing not a huge difference from my 26", but that may be due to me being out of shape. Although locking front fork is a big plus. Shifting and braking is incredible. The Mt.King tires are awesome for muddy winter conditions, but not sure how they will do in dry summer trails. Going tubeless has been fine so far, although I do lose pressure in front for no reason. Love the Hope hubs. Also nice not having to take front tire on and off. Bought a Highroller upright bike mount. ................................
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Don't mess with a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by megalow maniac
    Main purpose (XC, AM, etc): XC and trail cruising
    -Trail location/terrain: Düsseldorf/Bergisches Land, Germany, fast singletrack, short but frequent up- and downhills.
    -Frame Year/Size/Color: 07/Large/Blue - Version 1.2 (with extra reinforcement gusset at the rear of the seattube)
    -Rider Weight: 190
    -Rider Height/Inseam: 6'5"/35,5"
    -Stem (length/rise): Thomson Elite, 120mm, 5 deg., no spacers.
    -Seatpost: USE Sumo straigt with 1cm layback
    -Handlebar: Salsa Pro Moto 11°bend
    -Rear Shock: Stock RP23
    -Rear settings (psi, etc.): 135psi, standard setting rebound (4 clicks)
    -Fork: Reba Race @ 100mm with remote poploc
    -Fork settings (psi, etc.): 135/145psi pos/neg.
    -Brake Setup: Formula Oro K24, 7" rotors front and rear.
    -Drivetrain Setup: 3x9, SRAM X9 rear derailleur, Middleburn cranks (175mm). Blackspire rings with 22,32,42t, crankbrothers cobalt CroMo bottom bracket.
    -Tires: Maxxis Ignitor 2,1" rear, Panaracer Rampage 2,35" front
    -Wheels: NoTubes ZTR Arch 29er with Hope Pro 2 hubs
    -Build Weight: no idea

-Other 29er bikes owned: Niner Air9
    -Mileage on RIP9: constantly growing...
    -Future Changes: Easton EA 70 mid-rise handlebar. In the distant future probably a fork with more travel.
    -Comments, etc: Fun bike! Easy to climb with, smile-inducing on descends. A bit slow on the plains. This bike boosts my confidence in technical terrain!

Now with mid-rise handlebar, Shimano Hone cranks and the sweet new Reba Team with Maxle light. The bike feels totally different now with this fork: Downhill I go much faster yet feel more confident. In the plains the bike pedals more efficiently even though the fork changes the geo from XC to more AM (I feel to be more "in" the bike)... Only downside is when going uphill: The front end lifts quickly. That was to be expected, though. After all, I really enjoy my RIP with the improved geometry and the added travel.

Ballstein Models
    Made a few changes while waiting for the trails to dry out around here. Thought I would share some R.I.P. 9 "Classic" bike pron

-Frame Year/Size/Color: 2008 Large Hi-Po Silver
    -Fork: Fox F-29 120mm
    -Headset: Chris King No Threadset 1 1/8 Green Sotto Voce
    -Stem (length/rise): Hope 90mm 0 rise 31.8
    -Headset Cap: Niner YAWYD, bottle cap chosen: Rogue or Bells Oberon
    -Handlebar: Easton Monkeylite XC Carbon NanoTube
    -Bar Ends: Singletrack Solutions ST-Pro
    -Grips: ODI Ruffian Lock-on Green clamps
    -Brakes: Hope Tech M4 Disc brakes w/ steel braided lines
    -Brake Rotors: Hope M4 Floating 203mm/180mm Gold
    -Shifters: SRAM XO trigger w/ hope matchmakers
    -Saddle: Koobi PRS-Enduro
    -Seatpost: Thompson Elite Setback 34.9x367mm
    -Seatpost Collar: Salsa Green Fliplock QR
    -Rear Shock: Fox RP23
    -Pedals: Crank Bros Candy SL Black
    -Crankset: Silver Race Face Deus XC 175mm
    -Chainrings: Actiontec Ti 20t, MTBR member BRUZED's 30t, FSA 40t
    -Bottom Bracket: Chris King Green 68mm
    -Cassette: SRAM PCG-990 11-34t
    -Chain: SRAM PCG-991 cross link
    -Rear Derailleur: SRAM XO 20th anniversary medium cage
    -Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR M971
    -Cables : Allifgator iLinks Silver
    -Tires: Panaracer Rampage 29x2.35
    -Tubes: Stan's NoTubes solution
    -Wheelset: Industry Nine 29er Enduro Gold hubs, Gold spokes
    -Skewers: Salsa Flipoffs Green
    -Rims: Stan's ZTR Flow
    -Build Weight: 29.48 via digital scale
    -Other 29er bikes owned: Surly Karate Monkey, Soul Cycles Dillinger SS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hogprint; 04-20-2009 at 09:54 PM.

mtbr member

Update to My Original Post

Purpose: XC/AM - Longer Rides than my GF HT
    Rider Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 210 (racing season), 220 all other times
    Frame: 2008 Closeout L/Anno Silver w/ Fox RP23
    Fork: Manitou Minute w/ 20mm thru Axle (black)
    Crankset: Truvativ Noir 3 Ring
    Shifters: SRAM x9
    Rear Derailleur: Sram x0
    Front Derailleur: XT
    Handlebars: Bontrager Race X-Lite Flat OS w/ 9 deg backswing
    Seatpost: Thomson Elite Setback
    Seat: WTB Devo
    Brakes: Avid Juicy 7 185mm front, 160mm rear rotors
    Headset: FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro
    Wheels: Stans Flows w/ WTB Laser Lite, Black DB Spokes,Red Nips
    Cassette: SRAM 990
    Chain: SRAM PG-990 Cross Step (970 is garbage)
    Stem: Race Face Deus XC
    Pedals: Shimano 545 (stolen off of my HT)

Initial Thoughts: I have been riding the RIP for about 2 months now, and I am in complete and total love with this bike. It can go anywhere, do anything, climbs as well as my HT, feels in total control on the DH, and is comfortable to ride for hours. The T/A fork really adds to the difference in front end stiffness and I think it is one of my favorite differences of this bike from bikes in the past. I would rather change the picture, but I figured it was time to make this build post official.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

banned
    schweet! we are gonna put that thing through the ringer at wilson's creek this weekend. I see you picked up one of the yeti sdg ti fly saddles from jenson while they were $50.00. I gave mine to motobutane because it clashed with my color scheme. As Deone Sanders always says, "lookin good is 90% of doing anything"

Everyone all together welcome Keith to the Fray, you are amongst family now.;>)

banned
    Sep 2007
    I saw this Large RIP 9 frame at Sundance Cyclery, in Agoura Hills, CA. It was paid for last October, waiting for parts to build it up.... Sorry if the pic is blurry, only so steady can I hold my BlackBerry when I saw a new 2009 RIP.

I wonder if this belongs to PaloComadoGrinder ?

mtbr member
    That's my baby! BTW it's an XL. I'm 6'3" and between 200 and 215 lbs. depending on ratio of riding vs. tequila consumption. Watching another thread re: frame sizing I'm getting a bit worried that it'll be too big.

mtbr member
    Hi All,

As I spotted on the pictures mud clearance near the chainstay seams to be not the biggest I've ever seen.
    So here comes my question: did any of you experience any clogging problems? Especially while running wider tyres (2.3"+), or during winter time, or in sticky conditions?

Will appreciate very much your reply.
    Cheers!
    I.

Out there
    Aug 2006

The 2009 RIP9 Setup Thread

Since Our Dear Leader refuses to make a sticky I thought I'd launch this thread so that newbs don't get confused by a setup thread that talks about two very different models of the same bike (especially vis-a-vis clearance issues). Keep it near the top by posting your set-ups.

Here's mine as originally built up:

Original build was:

09 Medium Niner RIP9 Frame
    Fox 120 RL OEM fork
    AmClassic wheels + Rampages
    SRAM X9 shifters + RD
    Shimano M771 FD
    Shimano XT 22/32/44 crankset
    SRAM 11-34 cassette
    Shimano Msomething SPDs (the nice ones but not XTR)
    Formula K24 brakes 180f/160r
    Raceface 400mm seatpost cut down to about 360mm
    WTB Pure saddle
    Raceface stem
    Dangerboy riser bars
    Odi/Oury lockons
    SRAM flak jacket cables (but will be swapped out for Gore cables ASAP)

My regular rides are technical Ontario singletrack, LOTS of rocks and roots, fast descents, steep climbs and bits you need to trials your way through. With this bike I generally choose the hardest line, which is a new thing for me.

I don't know the exact pressures but I am running about 25% sag front and back. Even on fairly big hits. Back is around 140 psi, front around 90 I think but I have not got it dialled yet. I will say that the bike seems to work well with a big range of pressures... you can change the feel completely from an XC stiffness to an AM plushness. I have not done anything more than a 3' drop to flat on this bike but it feels like it could handle a LOT more.

Tires are running 30 psi front, 32ish rear.

I wrapped the chainstay in an innertube. I the the upper chainstay needs wrapping too.

I ran into the same problem as several other people, which is the chain sucking up between the big ring and the chainstay. This only happened for me when the chain was muddy, but round here that's often enough that it's a deal breaker. I did have a bent big ring tooth but straightening it out didn't solve the problem.

My solution was a new Ultegra chain and a bash ring to replace the 44. No problems since then. I will probably go for a 42 at some point if that seems to work for folk.

Awesome bike. Incredibly confidence inspiring.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

Closekids.com
    Does the tapered fork still take a 1 1/8 headset? Or you you need something special?

Closekids.com

What size Lizard Skin?

Does anyone know what size Lizard Skin chainstay protectors fit?
    Going to slap one on the top and bottom chainstays.

Thank you.

MTB B'dos
    If I remember right it takes about a 1/3 length of a 26" inner tube cut in 1/2 Seriously, throw on the inner tube and get cheap and very effective noise dampening. I was all worried about looks when got my firs nice bike - Giant Trance - and used a Lizard Skin, but it didn't cover the entire stay and the Trance had hydro formed stays that didn't quite fit any of the standard sizes. By the time I got my RIP9 I had figured out that innner tubes fit any shape and size, cost nada and work absolutelu at absorbing the impacts and deadening the noise- first thing I did before even considering building it up was to wrap the stays.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner
    Does anyone know what size Lizard Skin chainstay protectors fit?
    Going to slap one on the top and bottom chainstays.

Thank you.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Saucy Size
    Hey, awesome details. I'm going to merge this into the RIP thread so we can keep all the RIP materials nice and tidy.

Your dear leader,

p.

mtbr member
    The Jumbo fits the lower chainstay nice and tight. Two pairs of hands helps with installation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have had really good luck with road bike handlebar tape in stead of a Lizzard skin...super durable...the "padded" type tones down the chain slap noise...some high quality black elec tape to finish off the ends with a zip tie for good measure

Out there
    Aug 2006
    I'm in the inner tube camp. I don't even cut mine in half, just wrap it on as is and secure with a zip tie. I like the way it looks... don't f*&^ with me.

I also use inner tubes to wrap the upright on my hitch-mount bike carrier.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

Space Ghost
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkheadedbug
    I'm in the inner tube camp. I don't even cut mine in half, just wrap it on as is and secure with a zip tie. I like the way it looks... don't f*&^ with me.

I also use inner tubes to wrap the upright on my hitch-mount bike carrier.

Do you leave the valve stems on for deep water crossings? You know....just in case
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Took my new RIP9 out in the woods the other day. This is my first full-suspension bike, so I haven't got much to compare it to, except a few 29er hardtails. But I must say it feels really great, and so much more comfortable when spending many hours out on the trails.

Here's a pic of the bike as it is right now:

Frame: 09 RIP9 size L Milk Dud Ano
    Fork: 08 Minute 120mm QR
    Drivetrain: XT
    Brakes: XT 160mm f/b
    Stem: Thomson X4 70mm
    Bar: Easton EA70 high-riser
    Seat and post: Some old stuff
    Wheels: Arch 32h with XT hubs
    Tires: Racing Ralph 2.4 front and 2.1(?) rear.
    Weight: No clue. Out on the trails I can hardly feel the weight difference from the Air9.

The wheels are from my Air9, but worked fairly good. Anyway, I have some newly built wheels ready to go on: Flow 36h with Shimano Saint hubs, 10mm axle rear and 20mm axle front. I was sent a wrong fork with 9mm QR instead of the 20mm, but got it dirt cheap, so I will be using it until I can pick up another 120mm with 20mm axle on sale. The seatpost is an old Kona, but I've got a Thomson Elite here, just have to swipe the floor to find the bolts I dropped and lost. Also, I'm 185cm (6'1") tall with normal proportions, and a 70mm stem feels a lot better than a 90mm for me (on a size L frame). Rear shock pressure I don't know yet. Felt pretty good right out of the box, with about 25 % sag, maybe a little more. Will have to fine-tune once I get to know the bike a bit better.

I think this will be a great season with an awesome bike out riding the trails here in Norway. Thanks for reading, and here are some more photos for you. Happy riding!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Nice Ride & Pictures......

- I'm close to a photo-rundown of my new RIP. 15qr/Taper Fork should be here anytime and a new set of brakes to top it off.....

I will say, my bike is light, fast, and I have not had any issues whatsoever. In fact I raced it last weekend after 1 break-in ride to 2nd place in the 10 man 24HOA at Laguna Seca. We completed 2 full laps more than last year so it's AT LEAST, IF NOT MORE efficient than my 07' RIP even though it does weigh a little more.

VERY happy!

MTB B'dos
    Some very nice photos indeed, Sweet looking RIP9 looks like a very sweet bit of trail there. Like the first pic very much, first one I've seen that I actually think the Milk Dud looks OK. Got to ask though......Racing Ralphs Come on throw on some real rubber on that baby and experienced what it really can do

Quote Originally Posted by theDuke
    Took my new RIP9 out in the woods the other day. This is my first full-suspension bike, so I haven't got much to compare it to, except a few 29er hardtails. But I must say it feels really great, and so much more comfortable when spending many hours out on the trails.

Here's a pic of the bike as it is right now:

MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the comments! The wheels were just borrowed from my Air9 to do some riding while waiting for the more beefy ones to get done. Now they're here, and will be paired with more juicy tires.

As for mountainbiking here in Norway, check out this stuff and also this to see what it's all about
    Last edited by theDuke; 06-12-2009 at 06:38 AM.

MTB B'dos
    Ah makes sense now with the RR As to Norway riding, yeah we used to have a guy post here going by Biking Viking, looked pretty sweet from his vids, but he hasn't posted in a long while.Nice pics in that thread, not sure why TROND hasn't posted them here yet

Quote Originally Posted by theDuke
    Thanks for the comments! The wheels were just borrowed from my Air9 to do some riding while waiting for the more beefy ones to get done. Now they're here, and will be paired with more juicy tires.

As for mountainbiking here in Norway, check out this stuff to see what it's all about
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Closekids.com

New RIP stem

I assume that the new RIP uses a standard stem, but wanted to double check before I got one. I know the headset is different. Thanks.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Yes, standard stem.

mtbr member

My Rip 9 2009

I just want to post my 2009 Rip 9, got it 2 weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Riser Bars

I have noticed that a lot of the setups here for the RIP9's don't use the Niner flat handle bar, but they highly recommend it. I am about to setup my newly acquired frame and I just want to know what gives?

MTB B'dos
    Depends on your riding style - do you like drop from saddle to bars, or do you like your bars almost even with your saddle or above it? This will determin what type bar you use, well that and if you use high ride stems. Personally I use a Thomson 0 degree stem with 5mm spacers under it and a Niner FlatTop bar on my RIP9 - I have about 1.5-2" drop saddle to bars, more XC setup I guess you could say.

Quote Originally Posted by cowpatchman6
    I have noticed that a lot of the setups here for the RIP9's don't use the Niner flat handle bar, but they highly recommend it. I am about to setup my newly acquired frame and I just want to know what gives?
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Space Ghost

I've posted elsewhere, so may as well put it here

'09 RIP9 Anodized Milk Dud (Frame was 7 lbs, 8 oz.)
    '10 Fox F-29 Tapered 120mm (Uncut 3 lbs. 14 oz)
    Mavic C-29's (hold-over from my SS HT) (not up to the task of my new overly aggressive style
    Rampages Front tubeless rr. tubed (LOVE them, keep thinking I want lighter, but don't want to give up the ride)
    1x9 Drivetrain: Stylo 1.1, XT cass., X-9 shifter and rr. der.
    Monkeylite bar
    Thomson stem and seatpost
    Spec. body geo saddle (never been a S fan, but this saddle is the stuff, way better than my Pure team)
    Oury lock-ons
    Time ROC carbons
    Formula K-18s (great brakes, no Avid "turkey gobble")
    Salsa bits

Total: 29 lbs 3 oz.

Soon to be a 2x9 set-up (SLX der. X-9 shifter)
    may add a gravity dropper, but we'll see

Thoughts: Much more plush than my TNT Sultan with same bits (except a WB 110). The bike begs to be ridden hard and aggressive, which has shown some shortcomings of the Mavics. I love the bike, but do wish I could get it in the 27 and change range. Adding more drivetrain isn't gonna help that. For me and the trails I ride, this is a great ride. Love the suspension. Very Maestro like.

MTB B'dos
    I swear Coach, they're gona send the Niner police after you soon if you don't stop with that sorta talk LMAO gave me a great idea for a paint and sticker job for my older style RIP9
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach417
    ...............................Thoughts: Much more plush than my TNT Sultan with same bits (except a WB 110). The bike begs to be ridden hard and aggressive, which has shown some shortcomings of the Mavics. I love the bike, but do wish I could get it in the 27 and change range. Adding more drivetrain isn't gonna help that. For me and the trails I ride, this is a great ride. Love the suspension. Very Maestro like.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Space Ghost
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    I swear Coach, they're gona send the Niner police after you soon if you don't stop with that sorta talk LMAO
    They gotta catch me first!

...and prove me wrong

Out there
    Aug 2006
    I use a riser because I herniated a disc a while back and the more-upright position allows me to ride all day and then some. I'd like to try the Niner bar but I'm a big believer in sticking with what works when you've found it (and I try to get the same riding position on all my bikes, so experimenting with one would throw me off on the others!).

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Depends on your riding style - do you like drop from saddle to bars, or do you like your bars almost even with your saddle or above it? This will determin what type bar you use, well that and if you use high ride stems. Personally I use a Thomson 0 degree stem with 5mm spacers under it and a Niner FlatTop bar on my RIP9 - I have about 1.5-2" drop saddle to bars, more XC setup I guess you could say.
    Hi Lynx! Thanks! Well, I want to set it up as an all mountain machine. The trails I go to is in a pine forest with lots of roots and rocks. Fast downhill sections peppered with 1 to 2 feet ruts and I should say mini drops. Nevertheless, I want kinda want my bars a bit higher than my saddle, to get the feel of not tipping over on steep descents, I'm opting also to have a bit of a shorter stem. I know it's hard visualize this but all in all I just want my RIP9 to be burly and tough. I'm 6ft and 180lbs, and this is my first time to ride a full suspension bike, much more my first time on a 29er. By the way, I'm coming from a hardtail, taught me a lot in those trails so I figured, 'bout time to give me a treat..so here I am trying to set up an all mountain rig....

Carbon & Ti rule

OK Lynx I will play your game.

Lets here it If you were building a New 09 Rip9 for me how would you build it ?

Im 6 foot 177lb been riding for 5 years I quite fast & brave but not elite, I don't like hills but am ok with them. I like fast flowing down hills & tite tech stuff to.

It needs to be good for just about every thing from 12 hour relay races,5 hour rides with mates in the forest to being parked out side Fo's house so I can jump out the window & ride like hell down the side streets & through parks.

I have $5000.00 US to spend & I all ready own & ride a Jet 9 & will not be robing any parts off it.

I want colour,size & spec right down to grips & pedals (note I would go for tang so Fo's neighbours can see it )

Remember that every body will be picking on the build & maybe even me.

Give it your best shot.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

Out there
    Aug 2006
    I'll play

Large 09 RIP9 (Black, just looks the dog's tits)
    Fox fork with the thru axle unless you absolutely have to have it in black (I did) in which case the OEM QR fork.
    FSA headset
    Stans flows laced to Hope Hubs, or the new American Classic AM 29er wheelset (me likee)
    X9 or X0 rd & shifters
    XT fd
    XT crankset with 22, 36 + bashring of choice (eg e13 turbocharger)
    WTB Pure saddle
    Joplin R seatpost
    Formula K24 brakes
    Raceface 100mm stem
    Strong, wide riser bar(I use Dangerboy and Raceface, like 'em both)
    Oury lockons
    M560 clipless pedals

It's pretty much my build apart from the wheels which will be my next upgrade

Carbon & Ti rule

Great RIP BUILD

Hi your bike looks great.

With my bike I like it to look great but would choose what works best over what looks good any day of the week,Thanks for your imput.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

Carbon & Ti rule

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im 6 foot 177lb been riding for 5 years I quite fast & brave but not elite, I don't like hills but am ok with them. I like fast flowing down hills & tite tech stuff to.

It needs to be good for just about every thing from 12 hour relay races,5 hour rides with mates in the forest to being parked out side Fo's house so I can jump out the window & ride like hell down the side streets & through parks.

I have $5000.00 US to spend & I all ready own & ride a Jet 9 & will not be robing any parts off it.

I want colour,size & spec right down to grips & Crank length, pedals (note I would go for tang so Fo's neighbours can see it )

Give it your best shot.

My sons thoughts so far

Build:
    Large Tang Rip9 with 12mm Maxle axle rear.

Shimano XTR 180mm cranks 09.
    Gravity Dropper 4 Inch Multi seat post
    FSA OS99 stem 100mm
    FSA K force XC carbon Raiser bar 640mm wide
    Sram XO triggers
    Avid Elixir CR 203 F& 185R brakes
    Sram matchmaker
    Sram 990 cassette 11-34
    Sram XO rear mech
    Shimano XTR front mech
    KMC chain ( Gold Ano )
    OTA Alloy cables ( Gold Ano )

Wheels (Gold Hope 2 hubs, Siliver spokes) laced to Stan's Arch hoops with Maxxis cross+mark 2.1 tyres setup tubeless with yellow tape and valve

2nd set of wheels (Gold Hope 2 hubs, Siliver spokes) laced to Stan's Flow hoops with
    Maxxis Igniter tires setup tubeless with yellow tape and valve
    Saddle -SLR XC Kevlar
    Xpedo Ti/Ti pedals
    Fork 2010 Fox F29 RLC 120mm with 15mm T/A

29 lb Approx

MTB B'dos
    Hola, sorry, someone deemed I had "flamed" someone and put me on a time out

Anyway if you want the bars about level with the saddle I'd say go with a nice low rise bar on a 0 or 6 degree stem. Definitely a Large for size and depending on budget I'd go with a dual Xt crank and drivetrain or X9 if you're a SRAM fan - solid and dependable without breaking the bank. Wheels wise I love my HOPE Pro2s laced to STANS Flows. If the RS tapered steerer forks are available I'd go that route with the Maxle Lite over the 15m Fox - not sure if they are supposed to offer it in U-Turn, but if so get that to help getting the bars down for climbing.

Hi Lynx! Thanks! Well, I want to set it up as an all mountain machine. The trails I go to is in a pine forest with lots of roots and rocks. Fast downhill sections peppered with 1 to 2 feet ruts and I should say mini drops. Nevertheless, I want kinda want my bars a bit higher than my saddle, to get the feel of not tipping over on steep descents, I'm opting also to have a bit of a shorter stem. I know it's hard visualize this but all in all I just want my RIP9 to be burly and tough. I'm 6ft and 180lbs, and this is my first time to ride a full suspension bike, much more my first time on a 29er. By the way, I'm coming from a hardtail, taught me a lot in those trails so I figured, 'bout time to give me a treat..so here I am trying to set up an all mountain rig....
    Last edited by LyNx; 07-06-2009 at 05:35 AM.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

MTB B'dos
    Well besides the RD, I'd say that's a real nice build your Son suggested - especially the 12mm maxle
    Sorry, I'm not the sort of person who has a $5k budget, but even if I did I wouldn't go with an XO/XTR RD for the simple fact that they get trashed so easily and readily, X9 is fine and shifts just as good and you can have 3 for the price of the XO with a minimal weight gain of about <50g I think, which could easily be gotten back by going with an XT cassette over the PG990.

Agree with the wheelsets also, nice choice - the Arches will work fine with some racier tyres for those races you want to do and the Flows will work the rest of the time. If you have the coin to throw around maybe consider going for one set being i9, Hadley or CK hubs as I think you'd loose a bit of weight and gain more POE. On the Flows wheelset, consider changing the front tyre to an Ardent - could not believe how fast they roll and the grip they offer compared to the Ignitor. Definitely a heavier tyre, but way more grip. One last thing wheel wise, consider going the SS hub route and using only 6/7 gears off a 9spd cassette to build a dishless wheel - very happy with this etup, as are a whol eload of other people here on MTBR.

Think you're going overkill with the rotors unless you have constant 10 mile DHs, which in that case then maybe I never have had a problem running 180/160 on my RIP9 and I weigh between 180-195lbs geared to ride.

And I know I'll eat **** for this and can't believe I'm gona say this BUT......consider the SpecialED drop post over the GD, someone I know has one and said it's has better construction than the Maverick he had.

Ooooooops, almost forgot the grips For me, I just won't ride anything but Ergon's If it's for a race endurance etc, then the GX2's with stubby bar ends would be my choice so you have some extra hand positions/options, if strcitly tech/trail riding the GX1s.

Oh and as for Cranks, the XTR are nice, but ring wise either consider a 22/36 double or 22/30/40 compact tripple if you're doing a lot of endurance stuff where you might need a higher top end.

As to your stem and bars, I'm not a carbon fan so wouldn't go there would stick with a Thomson stem and some decent wider alu bars - I use the Niner Flattops, but they're not light AFAIK, but have nice sweep.

Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want colour,size & spec right down to grips & Crank length, pedals (note I would go for tang so Fo's neighbours can see it )

Give it your best shot.

My sons thoughts so far

Build:

Shimano XTR 180mm cranks 09.
    FSA OS99 stem 100mm
    FSA K force XC carbon Raiser bar 640mm wide
    Sram XO triggers
    Sram matchmaker
    Sram 990 cassette 11-34
    Sram XO rear mech
    Shimano XTR front mech
    KMC chain ( Gold Ano )

Wheels (Gold Hope 2 hubs, Siliver spokes) laced to Stan's Arch hoops with Maxxis cross+mark 2.1 tyres setup tubeless with yellow tape and valve

2nd set of wheels (Gold Hope 2 hubs, Siliver spokes) laced to Stan's Flow hoops with
    Saddle -SLR XC Kevlar
    Xpedo Ti/Ti pedals

29 lb Approx
    Last edited by LyNx; 07-06-2009 at 05:41 AM.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I wasn't going to do it but I found a good deal on ebay and couldn't resist upgrading to an 09. I'm only two rides in but am very pleased with my Large Raw 09. I noticed a difference right away in the alley behind my house. At low speed making a tight u-turn the stiffer frame is more predictable. Push down on the pedal a little while dragging the front brake move a little, no wind up like there was on the 07.

Then on my first real ride it really felt like a different bike from the 07. Jumping is better for sure, skiming over rocks is more stable and pumping transitions is more stable too. Riding thru loose big rocks wasn't quite as plush as I expected. Oh yeah, the new Fox still has the small can. I went to try my old shock with high volume can but it doesn't fit, the old air valve location hits the new link. I switched the big can to the new shock and will try it this week.

I wasn't sure if my Maverick fork would look funny with the tapper head tube but I think it actually looks good although the finish doesn't match like before. I'm also not sure if I like the steeper head angle to accommodate longer forks since mine hasn't changed.
    Before I bought the frame I figured in the back of my mind that if I didn't like it I could use the 7mm taller king headset race. Doh, I forgot about the integrated headset. When there is an adjustable 120-140mm, thru axle, 36mm leg, tapered steerer fork I'll upgrade.

I'm not a fan of the new downtube cable routing, my 07 Large top tube routing was great.

All in all it is definitely worth the upgrade for the increased frame stiffness. I also have a Nomad for Porc Rim like rides that I've though about selling to buy a Lunchbox. Now I'm really not sure I need either.

I'm really wondering how the 2011 Rip 9 is going to evolve into a better bike? I don't see much room for improvement.

-Riders dimensions: ~170lbs, 6', ~35" inseam (Super happy with the fit)
    -Frame: 09 Large Raw, RP23 with High Volume can, 145psi
    -Fork: Maverick Duc 32, 85 psi w/ lots of oil in the air spring, with 90mm stem (70mm too)
    -Crankset: Shimano XT M760 20/30/Bash (stiff but wide q factor is annoying)
    -Front Deraileur: Shimano XT 771
    -Rear Deraileur: Sram XO
    -Shifters: Sram XO Twist, ESL grips
    -Pedals: Time XS
    -Brakes: Avid Elixir CR, 180f, 160r (excellent feel, some noise)
    -Front Wheel, Maverick Hub, WTB Speeddisk rim, Rampage Tubeless, Mikesee built
    -Rear Wheel, DT 240S, 9mm thru axle, Stans Flow Rim, Ardent tubeless, Mikesee built
    -Seatpost: Gravity Dropper (essential but imperfect)
    -Saddle: Selle SLR-XC
    -Handlebar: Fsa K force Carbon DH, 25.4mm x 28"
    -Weight: 30.2lbs (the new frame is a little heavier but I couldn't care less)

First pic is the 07, second it the new 09
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Oh yeah, I'm getting a lot of chain noise from the front derailleur cage while descending. It has to be pretty high to not hit the chainstay at full compression. Does anyone have a solution for this? I'm thinking about wrapping some inner tube around the cage to quiet it down.
    2 wheels

Carbon & Ti rule

Were the 2011 Rip 9 is going to evolve

Were the 2011 Rip 9 is going to evolve.
    Well my thoughts.

Well these Niner guys are smart so i'm thinking things like a cam top headset bearing so you can change the head angle while riding along to take on the big down hills & get through the twisty stuff.

Things like the Bio-Centric’s bottom bracket so you can lift & lower the BB hight while riding/or maybe just stright sag or ride hight adjust on the go.

At some stage someone will push for making a frame & fork that only takes bigger rotors so hubs can be made disc flanges so the disc is an outer ring only letting the spoke spacing over lap were the disc would normally go & aim for like a 1 inch wider spoke spacing at the hub this would under cut the cassette to. ( Why not Niner )

The way I see Niner thinking is they start with a clean sheet of paper & ask what do we want ? not who elses rules do we have to play by.

This is how I see there thinking,Just because nobody has done it before doesn't mean it cant be done.

Come on every body rip me to bits.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic

My sons thoughts so far

Build:

29 lb Approx
    Here's kinda what that will look like:

RIP9. 12mm MAXLE. FOX F120 RL. Tang...
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Nice build! Love the hubs! One thing I noticed though, the headtube junction, where the top and the bottom tube intersect, there's a gap. The other rip9's i've seen and what I have right now are welded together...is this a pre production model?

Carbon & Ti rule

09 Rip9

Hi you will find it is just because it is an XL size & you would have seen small & med.

mtbr member
    May 2008

My Niner

I built this bike up for trail/all mountain riding in Southern Cal, Mammoth area and the southern Sierras.

I'm 5'10", 190 with full pack and gear.

Bike set-up
    09 3/4 Raw medium RIP 9
    2010Fox Tapered 120MM RL 32 15QR
    Easton monkey light carbon bars
    Thomson seat post
    Thomson 100mm 0 degree rise stem
    XT cranks
    XT front der
    XT shadow rear der
    Avid Elixr R brakes
    KMC chain
    Panaracer 2.35 Rampage tires
    WTB laser disc light hubs laced to Stans ZTR flow rims
    Specialized Phenom saddle.

Weight............29.84

MTB B'dos

New question here.

Fantastic, is that the new "Chameleon" camo colour then?

Quote Originally Posted by winerdiner29er
    I built this bike up for trail/all mountain riding in Southern Cal, Mammoth area and the southern Sierras.

I'm 5'10", 190 with full pack and gear.

Bike set-up
    09 3/4 Raw medium RIP 9
    2010Fox Tapered 120MM RL 32 15QR
    Easton monkey light carbon bars
    Thomson seat post
    Thomson 100mm 0 degree rise stem
    XT cranks
    XT front der
    XT shadow rear der
    Avid Elixr R brakes
    KMC chain
    Panaracer 2.35 Rampage tires
    WTB laser disc light hubs laced to Stans ZTR flow rims
    Specialized Phenom saddle.

Weight............29.84
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Carbon & Ti rule

Tang 09 Rip9

Build:
    Large Tang Rip9

Shimano XTR 180mm cranks
    FSA OS99 stem
    FSA K force XC carbon Raiser bar
    Sram XO triggers
    Sram matchmaker
    Sram 990 cassette 11-34
    Sram XO rear mech
    Shimano XTR front mech
    KMC chain ( Gold Ano )
    Wheels (Gold Hope 2 hubs, Silver spokes) laced to Stan's Arch hoops with Maxxis cross+mark 2.1 tyres setup tubeless with yellow tape and valve
    2nd set of wheels (Gold Hope 2 hubs, Silver spokes) laced to Stan's Flow hoops with
    Saddle -SLR XC Kevlar
    Xpedo Ti/Ti pedals
    Fork 2010 Fox F29 RL 120mm with 15mm T/A ( for those that want to know this fork works much better than the QR fork I had on it ) It just holds line much better through the rough allot of money but well worth it. ( Don't listen to the people that say it is not much better than the STD QR ) Too many people have to much to say about some thing they have not tryed.

29 lb

Well I just got back from a ride that I have been riding my Jet9 at least once a week for the last 4 months.

So here goes,The Rip is a very good solid riding bike & is speced very much the same as my Jet9.

My thoughts: The Rip9 will out climb the Jet9,You can't feel any differance in weight between the 2 bikes on the trail but with the Rip9 the bottom bracket is so solid that you can feel all the power going to the rear wheel & not being soaked up with bottom bracket flex.The exta travel didn't seem to soak up any more power than on the Jet9.

As for the handling between the 2 bikes the Rip9 is solid & does every thing right.
    My Jet9 has been set up with a 100mm fork ( 15mm TA ) so has a slacker head angle than the Rip9 with the 120mm fork (approx half a deg ) so turn in much the same,How much better did it handle than the Jet9?

Well a bit but I would say that the there was a bigger differance changing the Jet9 from 100mm Manitou QR fork & cheap DT Swiss wheels to a Fox F29 RLC Fit 100mm with 15mm TA & Stans Flow rims with Hope Pro 2 hubs & DT Swiss spokes than the differance between the up graded Jet9 & The 09 Rip9.

I will add more info when I have time but will answer any questions.
    Last edited by muzzanic; 08-11-2009 at 04:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Licorice 09 RIP9

Pics before and after first ride.

Medium 09 RIP9
    WB Fluid 135 (set at 125mm)
    Stans Flow laced to CK Hubs
    FSA headset
    Thomson 70mm stem
    Easton EA70 bars
    Magura Louise BAT
    X9 shifters
    XO rear der.
    XT front der.
    SLX crankset w/ e13 turbocharger
    WTB Pure saddle
    Thomson seatpost
    Oury Rogue lock-ons
    Maxxis Ardent rear/WTB Weirwolf LT front

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Folks, I just want to know if there are other headseat options to choose from aside from the FSA OEM headset that came with the frame I got, I was thinking a CK, but it seems they don't have anything for the RIP 9. My fork is the OEM Fox RL Tapered. What would you recommend if there is such? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Folks, I just want to know if there are other headseat options to choose from aside from the FSA OEM headset that came with the frame I got, I was thinking a CK, but it seems they don't have anything for the RIP 9. My fork is the OEM Fox RL Tapered. What would you recommend if there is such? Thanks!
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...00204#poststop

i'm looking for one too in red to match the red pivot bits

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast