Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My first 29er. New to me but lovingly used.

- Main purpose: everything
    -Trail location/terrain: foothills, ski mountain
    -Frame Year/Size/Color: 2011/L/Raw
    -Rider Weight: 178
    -Rider Height/Inseam: 5'11"/32"
    -Stem (length/rise): Bontranger, 70mm
    -Seatpost: Niner
    -Handlebar: Easton EC70 carbon
    -Rear Shock: Stock RP23
    -Fork: Rockshox Reba.
    -Brake Setup: '12 Shimano XT
    -Drivetrain Setup: 3x9 - Raceface crank, SRAM X9 derailleurs
    - SRAM XO Grip Shift
    - Pedals: Crank Brothers Candy 2

Set a ton of new PRs first day out.

The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-null_zps9295274e.jpg
    Last edited by JasBluBoi; 08-14-2013 at 07:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    -Main purpose (XC, AM, etc): mostly XC
    -Trail location/terrain: Minnesota
    -Frame Year/Size/Color: 2012/Large/Red
    -Rider Weight: 175
    -Rider Height/Inseam: 6'0" - 34"
    -Stem (length/rise): ODI, 70mm, 5* rise
    -Seatpost: Thomson Straight
    -Handlebar: Truvativ Boo Bar
    -Rear Shock: Stock RP23
    -Fork: Fox Float 34 140mm
    -Brake Setup: Older Avid Juicy 5, 200mm front, 180mm rear
    -Drivetrain Setup: 1x10 - 32t SLX front, BBG inner and outer bash guards, 11-36 XT rear, XT shadow+
    -Tires: Knobby Nic 2.35
    -Wheels: Stan's Flow EX on Stan's 3.30 hubs (HD front)

This picture was from when it was still 2x9, but that didn't last long. Loving the silent shadow+ drivetrain upgrade. Cockpit was temporary at the time of this photo as well.
    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-img_20130524_070938_cropped.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolling In Peace View Post
    Final build:
    Frame: 12 RIP 9 med in raw (5' 10", 31" inseam)
    Headset: CK InSet i4
    Fork: RockShox Revelation 140mm, 20mm TA
    Shock: Fox Float RP23
    Bar: Easton Havoc carbon 1" rise 750mm
    Stem: Easton Havoc 50mm
    Grips: ODI Rogue
    Brakes: XT 785
    Shifters: XTR 980
    Ders (Front/Rear): XTR 986
    Crankset: XT 785 2x10
    Wheelset (Front/Rear): Hope Hoops, Flow EX rims 12x142 rear
    Tires (Front/Rear): Maxxis Ardent 2.4
    Seatpost: RockShox Reverb 355mm/100mm drop
    Pedals: Speedplay Drillium platform

Rides like a dream! If you haven't tried it yet, I highly recommend a wide bar/short stem set up. Also recommend a dropper post!

Nice looking bike.. Curious to know how do you feel about the need for a dropper post. Will the remote switch get in the way? Is the extra weight really worth it?

Loser
    That's not my bike, but I'll answer about the dropper post - I have had one on my bikes for about 5 years now. I have long legs so my seat is always jacked way up for proper pedaling position.

I can't tell you how important a dropper is to my riding. My Reverb was in for warranty repair for a few weeks last year and I rode a fixed post on my '10 RIP - the difference was amazing. Its like someone took away my All Mountain RIP and replaced it with the XC version.

With my long legs my center of gravity is pretty high, but when I drop that seat its in a really good place for going downhill. Its also great to get the seat out of the way on technical bits.

Our trails are all relatively short ups and downs and very technical - I think this is where a dropper is most useful - out west where you climb for an hour then descend its probably less convenient. Here I raise and drop my seat probably 50 times during a ride - sometime I'm going to really keep track and see what that number really is, but seriously I drop my seat a LOT.

To me its completely worth the weight and the bar space.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LostDog99 View Post
    Nice looking bike.. Curious to know how do you feel about the need for a dropper post. Will the remote switch get in the way? Is the extra weight really worth it?
    I think that a dropper post is a must on a RIP9. I certainly use it a lot on all my rides. I think its one of those things where you wonder how you ever lived without it after getting one.

Weight-wise the dropper is heavy compared with a non-dropper post (520g (Reverb) versus 287g (Thomson Elite) versus ~210g (Niner carbon)) however I'm not a weight weenie and think the additional weight in negligible when considering the overall weight of the bike.

The remote does not get in the way for me but I'm running the Shimano i-spec mounts so only have one mount for the brake lever and shifter pod. I can imagine that the bar will be crowded with the remote and both shifter and brake lever mounts. Not to mention a fork remote as well!

Hope that helps.

mtbr member

The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)

Another vote for a dropper on a RIP. IMHO, the Reverb is preferable to a LEV, but there's very little between the two. If bar space is an issue for you, run a LEV and use ODI grips or run a Reverb with SRAM's matchmaker clamps. I'm running X0 on my RIP and have one clamp on each side for front and rear shifters, brakes, and a Reverb. Super clean.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

Carbon & Ti rule
    +1 on this, A dropper post is the best upgrade you can have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    That's not my bike, but I'll answer about the dropper post - I have had one on my bikes for about 5 years now. I have long legs so my seat is always jacked way up for proper pedaling position.

I can't tell you how important a dropper is to my riding. My Reverb was in for warranty repair for a few weeks last year and I rode a fixed post on my '10 RIP - the difference was amazing. Its like someone took away my All Mountain RIP and replaced it with the XC version.

With my long legs my center of gravity is pretty high, but when I drop that seat its in a really good place for going downhill. Its also great to get the seat out of the way on technical bits.

Our trails are all relatively short ups and downs and very technical - I think this is where a dropper is most useful - out west where you climb for an hour then descend its probably less convenient. Here I raise and drop my seat probably 50 times during a ride - sometime I'm going to really keep track and see what that number really is, but seriously I drop my seat a LOT.

To me its completely worth the weight and the bar space.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the inputs on the dropper post. Might be investing in one soon if budget permits it. I'm looking at the LEV coz of the cable not moving when you drop it compared to Reverb.

But for now. I still enjoy the carbon seatpost. Updated my ride to the latest 130mm RS Revelation fork. Loved the full black color.

mtbr member

The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)

The LEV is certainly cleaner looking, but if function and feel is important, I consider the Reverb the superior post. Just an opinion though! Both are great.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

Carbon & Ti rule
    Nice bike.

You will be stunned at how much more fun your Rip9 will be with a dropper seat post.

I also like the Reverb.

Quote Originally Posted by LostDog99 View Post
    Thanks for the inputs on the dropper post. Might be investing in one soon if budget permits it. I'm looking at the LEV coz of the cable not moving when you drop it compared to Reverb.

But for now. I still enjoy the carbon seatpost. Updated my ride to the latest 130mm RS Revelation fork. Loved the full black color.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks, I will try to get one soon.. I just find it way too expensive for just dropper posts.

Loser
    I agree that the delta between a dropper and fixed post is pretty incredible. I think you have to look at it like its adding a feature rather than simply adding cost for a like replacement. It really adds an "AM" dimension to your bike that you can't get any other way.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

Saucy Size Moderator
    Yeah man, I have an OG Gravity Dropper on my 2007 (?) RIP9 and it's really just the best thing I could have done on that bike. Use it ALL THE TIME.

I recently broke my 3" GD, and replaced the bit with the 2"/4" post. Still practicing to get the 2" position to lock right, but man that 4" of drop is significant.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mtbr member
    May 2007

2010/11 Rip Med RAW

2x10 sram x9
    Fox 34 120mm forks
    Avid Elixr 3
    Easton XC wheels 142 rear ( when maxles are back in stock) 15mm front
    Sunline bars
    Thomson stem
    Dropper on the way or set back thomson
    Medium size - Rider 181cm

Initial thoughts - very smooth and efficient compared to Heckler, Avanti and KHS
    ( the last two were Horst link)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-20130908_103335_resized_2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    nice.. which dropper are you getting?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thinking reverb. Perhaps used now the new thomsons are going to inflict upgraditis on a few punters.

Spear & Magic Helmet
    Frame: 2012 RIP9, Large, Licorice
    Shock: Fox CTD
    Fork: Fox Float 29, 130mm, 51mm offset
    Headset: Cane Creek 40
    Hubs: Chris King ISO
    Rims: Stanís Flow
    Spokes: Sapim CX-Ray
    Tires: Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4 (tubeless)
    Handle Bar: Spaank Spike 777 (5 mm rise)
    Stem: Thomson X4 100mm (initially Easton Haven 80mm)
    Grips: Lizard Skin with Purely Custom grip clamps & end caps
    Brakes: Shimano XT (M775)
    Shifters: Shimano XT
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT
    Cables: Jagwire Ripcord
    Crank: Bontrager Carbon fiber with Truvativ XO spider (38T/26T)
    Cassette: Shimano XT 11-34T
    Seat Post: Kind Shock LEV
    Saddle: Specialized Phenom Ti
    Pedals: Time Attack Carbon

Rider:
    Height: 74.5Ē
    Weight: 210 lbs
    Inseam: 36Ē

Intended use: XC, Trail, AM

The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-p9200643.jpg

I jumped on one of the clearance 2012 frames a couple of weeks ago and swapped out the parts from my hard tail (EMD9) and added a few essentials such as the dropper post and voila Ė new bike for me. Though I still need to replace the rear brake hose. Because of family and work issues it sat in my garage for a few weeks eating a hole in my soul before I finally got it out on the trails. Two rides this week and I have to say that it is a very impressive and fun ride.

It is a bit unfair to compare a fully to a hard tail on climbing, but Iím going to anyway. The front end is higher and is a bit harder to keep on the ground. After changing from the 80mm to 100mm stem this was much less of a problem. The RIP weighs in at about 3.5 lbs heavier than the EMD and I can feel it. On smooth, steep climbs the EMD was just easier. On climbs littered with baseball-sized rocks, square hit, roots, etc the RIP is better. Rather than trying to delicately pick a line if I pick a general line, drop a couple of gears and motor through I get gobs of power to the ground without spinning out because of too much torque.

On descents this is a big grin. The slacker angles, greater travel and dropper post and this really screams down hill. Iíve got a Titus El Guapo with a 180 mm Totem up front, and this eats up the downs just as capably. I haven't done big jumps or drops, but some 1-2 ft shelves in the flow of the trails have been dealt with solidly and left me in apposition to handle the next bit of trail.

On fast trails I would not call this flickable, but it definitely has quicker steering characteristic than the EMD. I suspect that the 51 mm offset has something to do with this. It is not twitchy, but initially I tended to over steer a bit and ended up too far to the inside exiting turns. Not a problem, just had to adjust body mechanics. Within 15 minutes I was carving turns with clarity. On the fast, sweeping turns it really loves to live on the outside. On slower, tighter turns I apex the turn like my road bike, but on the bigger, faster turns, especially the bermed turns, the suspension compresses a bit, lowering your CoG so you can really hug the turn. Exiting the suspension decompresses and returns that energy as speed. I felt like I was on a sling shot coming out of the turns.

This really is a fun, fun bike. Unfortunately I canít keep the EMD and I donít like that added pounds, but in the sum of things it is a trade well worth taking and Iíll happily live with the extra weight in exchange for the added capabilities. Unless someone wants to give me an RDOÖ
    Last edited by JohnGray; 09-22-2013 at 07:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Congrats on the new bike! I loved my 2012 til it was stolen...
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

Spear & Magic Helmet
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Congrats on the new bike! I loved my 2012 til it was stolen...
    Well, that pretty much sucks. Swear to god I came by mine through honest means. Hope you get yours back or replaced.

mtbr member
    Actually, I got it back, but not before I replaced it with a new one:
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

Spear & Magic Helmet
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Actually, I got it back, but not before I replaced it with a new one
    ...nice...

How's the Pike? One of the few questions I had about my build, but the $500 difference would have been hard to write off.
    Last edited by JohnGray; 11-02-2013 at 10:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Love the Pike. I had a 2013 Fox 34 on my '12 RIP and a 2014 on the new one before selling it for the Pike. The 2014 is much better than the '13, but it's still not close to the Pike IMO. Yeah, it's pricey, but biking is really my only expensive vice. That's my justification, anyway.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

NMBP

My NEW RIP

I had a 2010 RIP, and thought it was great. After one ride on the new one, I was thrilled with all of the improvements over the previous version. Granted, some of that has to do with the Pike fork
    I have it pretty well dialed in, I think. I set sag at 25%, and have the shock at 100psi. (I weigh 210lbs) I didn't get close to full travel on the fork, so I will let out a bit of air and tweak it a bit. My only apprehension was about the shock since I have never owned a Monarch before, and I was pretty happy with it actually. I really wanted plush for this bike, and thought it felt nice. Going for another ride this afternoon, but so far so good!

2014 XL RIP, Licorice
    Rockshox Pike, 140mm
    X9 Drivetrain (XT Front Der)
    XT Brakes
    Flow/Hope Pro 2 Wheelset
    Answer Carbon Highrise bar
    KS Lev 150mm Post
    Nobby Nic R/Rampage F
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-image.jpg  

Last edited by gfs69; 09-28-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Cool that you like it.

I think they are a big step up from the old Rip9 & I rate the old Rip9.

Quote Originally Posted by gfs69 View Post
    I had a 2010 RIP, and thought it was great. After one ride on the new one, I was thrilled with all of the improvements over the previous version. Granted, some of that has to do with the Pike fork
    I have it pretty well dialed in, I think. I set sag at 25%, and have the shock at 100psi. (I weigh 210lbs) I didn't get close to full travel on the shock, so I will let out a bit of air and tweak it a bit. My only apprehension was about the shock since I have never owned a Monarch before, and I was pretty happy with it actually. I really wanted plush for this bike, and thought it felt nice. Going for another ride this afternoon, but so far so good!

2014 XL RIP, Licorice
    Rockshox Pike, 140mm
    X9 Drivetrain (XT Front Der)
    XT Brakes
    Flow/Hope Pro 2 Wheelset
    Answer Carbon Highrise bar
    KS Lev 150mm Post
    Nobby Nic R/Rampage F

I heart the drops

Riding Like a Dumb-Dumb

Main purpose (XC, AM, etc): Riding Like an Idiot
    -Trail location/terrain: Colorado Front Range/ A Couple DH days
    -Frame Year/Size/Color: 13/L/Blue
    -Rider Weight: 200
    -Rider Height/Inseam: 6'0/33"
    -Stem (length/rise): Easton Haven 55mm 0degree
    -Seatpost: KS i900 125mm 30.9
    -Saddle: Selle Italia SL XC Flow
    -Handlebar: Easton Haven carbon
    -Grips: Teva Spyder Rubber
    -Rear Shock: Fox CTD Kashima
    -Rear settings (psi, etc.): 152psi
    -Fork: RockShox Pike 150mm
    -Fork settings (psi, etc.): 53psi
    -Brake Setup: Formula The One 180mm F&R
    -Crank: Sram XX1 28T
    -Front Der: Effe That
    -Pedals: Xpedo Spry Flats
    -Chain: Sram 1091R
    -Rear Der: Sram X9 Type 2
    -Rear Shifter: Sram X9 10Sp
    -Cassette: Sram XO 10Sp
    -Tires: Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 F, Nobby Nic 2.25 R
    -Wheels: Industry Nine Torch Trail 32H
    -Build Weight: 27.39Lbs

-Other 29er bikes owned: none
    -Mileage on RIP9: Only a hundred or so
    -Future Changes: KS Lev Seatpost, Carbon Rims, Monarch RT3 Shock
    -Comments, etc: I don't want the stigma of owning a 29er, so I am going to ride this bike like a madman.
    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-dscn0242.jpgThe RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-dscn0245.jpgThe RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-dscn0246.jpgThe RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-dscn0247.jpgThe RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-dscn0248.jpgThe RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-dscn0249.jpg
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 ... LastLast