Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1230
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Broads72 View Post
    Couldn't ask for a better ride. Full XTR.
    Sweet ride + like the color combination

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - Olli

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Has anyone put an angleset on their RIP? I have a 2013 airformed alloy and am toying with slacking it out 1-1.5*

I already have a 140mm pike on the front, and think a 150 would be too tall. I ride a mix of trails with lots of long climbs and descents and have a hardtail for tight flat rides.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by carlhulit View Post
    Has anyone put an angleset on their RIP? I have a 2013 airformed alloy and am toying with slacking it out 1-1.5*

I already have a 140mm pike on the front, and think a 150 would be too tall. I ride a mix of trails with lots of long climbs and descents and have a hardtail for tight flat rides.
    Yes, I'm running a 1.5* Works angleset and 1* offset shock bushings. Look at my post on page 47 of this thread for a picture.

mtbr member
    Thinking about grabbing a 2016 large RIP 9 (Alloy) from Jenson, but would like any input regarding issues with linkage bearings, or any other weird issues/noises/ect.. that I should know before pulling the trigger.

Thanks in advance for any help!

EDIT: I'm 6' 215lbs all geared up with a 32" inseam. Also, I won't be using a dropper. This will be my one and only bike for spirited SoCal desert XC/Trail riding..... No bike parks.

mtbr member
    Same here. I am looking at the Rip 9 1 start build from Jenson's and I am also looking at the carbon RDO build (2014 frame I think) from pricepoint. My question to you all, which would be a better buy? They both have decent components. I guess the question is with these 2 build, is the carbon really worth the extra $400-$500.

I been riding salsa's for about 6 years now (love their bikes BTW - El Mar, Mama, SFish). Now I am looking for a more trail orientated bike. The XC bikes on the techy trails if fun, but I am sure it would be more fun on a bike like this. I was looking at the Horsetheif, but it looks like I can get a much more better deal on a Rip9. Plus, I have been researching the RIP for a while and it just gets very solid reviews from everywhere. So, my mind is made up, this will be my next bike.

So, between these 2 bikes, which would you all say is a better buy?

Niner RIP 9 2 Star GX1 Bike > Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA

Niner RIP 9 RDO XT/SLX w/Easton Haven Wheels Exclusive

Even this build looks pretty decent for the price:
    Niner RIP 9 XT/SLX Exclusive Build | Easton Haven Wheels

I don't mind Alloy. All my XC bikes have been alloy (with the exception of my El Mar - steal) and I like the way they ride. I have demo'd some carbon bikes before, and they do ride nice. However, it did not feel like a must for me. Actually, I owned a 2010 Specialized Carbon Stumpjumper HT back in the day and sold it due to the geometry. Just didn't ride like my salsa's for me. Anyhow, I have heard numerous times that the Salsa's and Niner's ride pretty similar. (Would this be a true statement??) I am about 5'10" with a 33.5 inseam and a long reach. I ride a M in salsa, so I am pretty sure I would need a M in niner. However, with my long inseam and reach, I could possibly ride a L. My salsas do have 110m stems along with some pretty good setbacks on the seatposts.

Back to my original question, what are your guy's opinions of the Rip9s (or opinions in general) on the bikes I listed. I was a little hesitant to look at another brand other than salsa since the salsa geo has worked out for me really well thoughout the years. So, I would be interested in hearing some feedback from anyone that has went from salsa to niner or vice versa.

No unpermitted erections
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc_n_tucson View Post
    Same here. I am looking at the Rip 9 1 start build from Jenson's and I am also looking at the carbon RDO build (2014 frame I think) from pricepoint. My question to you all, which would be a better buy? They both have decent components. I guess the question is with these 2 build, is the carbon really worth the extra $400-$500.

I been riding salsa's for about 6 years now (love their bikes BTW - El Mar, Mama, SFish). Now I am looking for a more trail orientated bike. The XC bikes on the techy trails if fun, but I am sure it would be more fun on a bike like this. I was looking at the Horsetheif, but it looks like I can get a much more better deal on a Rip9. Plus, I have been researching the RIP for a while and it just gets very solid reviews from everywhere. So, my mind is made up, this will be my next bike.

So, between these 2 bikes, which would you all say is a better buy?

Niner RIP 9 2 Star GX1 Bike > Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA

Niner RIP 9 RDO XT/SLX w/Easton Haven Wheels Exclusive

Even this build looks pretty decent for the price:
    Niner RIP 9 XT/SLX Exclusive Build | Easton Haven Wheels

I don't mind Alloy. All my XC bikes have been alloy (with the exception of my El Mar - steal) and I like the way they ride. I have demo'd some carbon bikes before, and they do ride nice. However, it did not feel like a must for me. Actually, I owned a 2010 Specialized Carbon Stumpjumper HT back in the day and sold it due to the geometry. Just didn't ride like my salsa's for me. Anyhow, I have heard numerous times that the Salsa's and Niner's ride pretty similar. (Would this be a true statement??) I am about 5'10" with a 33.5 inseam and a long reach. I ride a M in salsa, so I am pretty sure I would need a M in niner. However, with my long inseam and reach, I could possibly ride a L. My salsas do have 110m stems along with some pretty good setbacks on the seatposts.

Back to my original question, what are your guy's opinions of the Rip9s (or opinions in general) on the bikes I listed. I was a little hesitant to look at another brand other than salsa since the salsa geo has worked out for me really well thoughout the years. So, I would be interested in hearing some feedback from anyone that has went from salsa to niner or vice versa.
    Man, where to start. I have a RIP 9 2 Star GX 1, size L alloy bike that I bought from Jenson 2 weeks ago. I'm 6' 2+" and weigh 195lbs (ulp- hoping this thing will help me lose 15 pounds). Fits me like a glove. I was worried it would be too small, but nope.

I love the way the bike handles. I've been riding the crap out of it on my local trails, which are very rocky, with a lot of steep ups & downs. My main beefs are:

Brakes/shift combo. Does SRAM listen to anyone? Do they even ride the stuff they make? Their brakes suck. The setup with the shifter/brake lever is not user-friendly. You have to move your thumb back and up to upshift. Brakes are starting to squeal (I think the pads are metallic, will try organic soon). Give me Shimano. PLEASE. I have a friend who works in a shop and SRAM/Avid stuff frustrates the F#@$ out of him.

Wheels/tires are not tubeless. Not even tubeless-ready. Tires are a beyotch to get on & off, and to get set so they don't have big lumps in them. Front tire washes out easily.

Pedal strikes. I have NEVER gotten so many pedal strikes in my life! Why is this? Suspension too soft? I'll figure it out, I may just need to adapt my riding style.

Niner email service is pretty anemic. I sent an email asking about a bash plate and a derailleur hanger and got this response: Thank you for contacting us. We do not have any specific recommendations for a 'bash plate' for the Rip 9. We have heard of some aftermarket options available, but do not have experience with them. Riiiiiight.

You can purchase derailleur hangers from a Niner dealer, or directly from our website. No link, no nothing. I was asking which one I needed. Is it too hard to send a link of the hanger I need? I found a dealer 2 hours away that has them, but we both unsure which one I needed, exactly. A few seconds of "work" from Niner would have helped immensely.

And speaking of which, I've hit the bottom link several times on rocks, hence the question to Niner about the bash plate.

Love:

Did I mention handling? This this handles sooooo nice. Imo, this makes up for the SRAM bs.

It is FAST. Don't know if it's the tires or what, but this thing surges ahead, like a racehorse charging out of the gate.

Beautiful. The paint is gorgeous, and the welds are nice.

It shifts well (1x11), and the dropper post works ok (it sometimes needs a little nudge to come back up).

The Fox fork and the Rockshox rear shock are performing nicely. No probs there. It would have been really nice to get info with the bike on how to tune the two shocks.

Would I buy the RIP 9 again? Most definitely. Rating: 8 outta 10. Joe Bob gives it 2 thumbs up.

I hear you about the Special Ed carbon Stumpy. That's what I had before the Niner, a 2012 top of the line carbon frame, carbon rims, everything (it was a 10k bike, I bought it used). It handled like I was riding a 4x8 sheet of plywood and turned out to be a huge money pit. It also had SRAM shifter/brakes, the start of my hate affair with SRAM.

mtbr member
    ^ Is this the powder blue bike?

No unpermitted erections
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    ^ Is this the powder blue bike?
    You talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me????

Yes.

Niner RIP 9 2 Star GX1 Bike > N > Niner | Jenson USA

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    If you're having issues with the dropper returning, maybe loosen up your seatpost clamp a bit.

No unpermitted erections
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    If you're having issues with the dropper returning, maybe loosen up your seatpost clamp a bit.
    I'll try that, thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Man, where to start. I have a RIP 9 2 Star GX 1, size L alloy bike that I bought from Jenson 2 weeks ago. I'm 6' 2+" and weigh 195lbs (ulp- hoping this thing will help me lose 15 pounds). Fits me like a glove. I was worried it would be too small, but nope.

Brakes/shift combo. Does SRAM listen to anyone? Do they even ride the stuff they make? Their brakes suck. The setup with the shifter/brake lever is not user-friendly. You have to move your thumb back and up to upshift. Brakes are starting to squeal (I think the pads are metallic, will try organic soon). Give me Shimano. PLEASE. I have a friend who works in a shop and SRAM/Avid stuff frustrates the F#@$ out of him.

Pedal strikes. I have NEVER gotten so many pedal strikes in my life! Why is this? Suspension too soft? I'll figure it out, I may just need to adapt my riding style.

Niner email service is pretty anemic. I sent an email asking about a bash plate and a derailleur hanger and got this response: Thank you for contacting us. We do not have any specific recommendations for a 'bash plate' for the Rip 9. We have heard of some aftermarket options available, but do not have experience with them. Riiiiiight.

And speaking of which, I've hit the bottom link several times on rocks, hence the question to Niner about the bash plate.

Love:

Did I mention handling? This this handles sooooo nice. Imo, this makes up for the SRAM bs.

Would I buy the RIP 9 again? Most definitely. Rating: 8 outta 10. Joe Bob gives it 2 thumbs up.
    The SRAM Guide brakes seem to be a lot better but I absolutely hated the prior SRAM brakes. I had XO's and XX's on a few bikes and constantly had to re-bleed them, especially the XO's. The ones on my RIP 9 RDO also got super hot on long, steep descents. I switched all my bikes over to Shimano XTR's and never looked back. They work great, especially with metallic pads, and requires much less maintenance.

For the pedal strikes, check your rear shock pressure. I have a RIP 9 RDO and when I first got it noticed a lot of pedal strikes as well. Once I got the suspension dialed in it became much less of an issue.

I've found Niner service generally pretty good. Ralph used to handle all the email correspondence (not sure if he still does or not), but always gave me good advice. I did put a bash plate on my Rip 9 RDO that I purchased off another forum user here. He makes them for a bunch of bikes.

I'm 5'11" and ride a medium RIP 9 RDO (and Jet 9 RDO and AIR 9 RDO), and find Med is a great fit for me with Niner.

The RIP 9 RDO frame is great, even the first generation. It did not have the cracking issues that plagued the early generation Jet 9 RDO's, likely due to slightly heavier carbon layup. However I have found the bike does not like water. After riding the Government trail in Snowmass/Aspen and hitting some of the creek crossings, the bearings for the rear suspension were shot and needed replacement. I've had similar issues on the Jet 9 RDO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    RIP 9 bash plate:

Rock protection for Santa Cruz, Niner, Ibis, Turner, and Yeti frames - Buy and Sell Mountain Bikes and Accessories

I have these on my RIP 9 and WFO 9.

RIP 9 Derailleur Hanger:

Derailleur Hanger - RIP/JET/Air 9 Families, WFO 9 and One 9 RDO, 12 x 142

RIP 9 Setup:

Shimano XT brakes or better, end of story.

The "sag" on the rear shock needs to be setup according to your weight. Mine was too soft when I got the bike. Roughly 25% to 30% is the sweet spot. You'll need a shock pump.

Welcome to the RIP 9 family, get ready for some fun!

No unpermitted erections
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordzkof View Post
    RIP 9 bash plate:

Rock protection for Santa Cruz, Niner, Ibis, Turner, and Yeti frames - Buy and Sell Mountain Bikes and Accessories

I have these on my RIP 9 and WFO 9.

RIP 9 Derailleur Hanger:

Derailleur Hanger - RIP/JET/Air 9 Families, WFO 9 and One 9 RDO, 12 x 142

RIP 9 Setup:

Shimano XT brakes or better, end of story.

The "sag" on the rear shock needs to be setup according to your weight. Mine was too soft when I got the bike. Roughly 25% to 30% is the sweet spot. You'll need a shock pump.

Welcome to the RIP 9 family, get ready for some fun!
    Thanks much.

Does it matter where the lever is on the rear shock when setting the sag?

mtbr member
    I think you want it full open or descend position

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Studies have shown that riding your bicycle everyday makes you more awesome then the general population"

No unpermitted erections
    Quote Originally Posted by muddydc View Post
    I think you want it full open or descend position

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    The "open" position. Move the red rubber ring to the top of the shock. Put all your riding gear on and place the bike near a table or something you can hold on to. Get on the bike but don't jump up and down. I usually put one foot on the ground to support my weight then sit back down with both feet on the pedals.

Now get off the bike and look where the red rubber ring is on the shock. If it's at 20% or less there's too much air, use the release valve. Do the opposite if its more then 30%, add air. Repeat the "sit down" part until you have it around 25-30%.

I think many of the RIP 9 reviews said 25% was the sweet spot.

mtbr member
    I picked up one of the blue alloy frames from Jenson and started building it up from parts I'm pulling from my Nimble 9. I got to the rear brake yesterday and wow what a long hose. I was about 4 inches short so I had to order a new hose looks like I will not be riding it this weekend.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-uh-oh-min.jpg

I just got back from Jenson myself where I picked up a large RIP 9, Cane Creek headset and Race Face Aeffect XD wheels.

Most parts will be new, but I will use my Jamis's X1 RD, shifter and chain, it's XT 8000 crank/BB with WolfTooth 30T oval ring.....Should be ready in 2 weeks.

The frame looks incredible in real life. Pictures (including mine) don't do it justice.

Kudos to Jenson for pressing in the headset for free, and knocking $20 off of the price because their ad states the headset is included.

mtbr member
    My finished build: My RIP 9 Build Is Done!

mtbr member
    Anyone with the 2013 on up (air formed frame) RIP 9 have a Maxxis Ikon 2.35 on the rear? If so, I would love to see a picture of the clearance between the tire and the seat stay brace arch. If you don't have a pic, but you have previously ran one, what was your experience (clearance) with it?

I tried to run a WTB Vigilante 2.3 on the rear, but there was maybe 5mm of clearance and the tire picked up rocks and wedged them between the brace.

I'm currently running a Spesh Ground Control Grid 2.3 which has solved the problem, but the dam thing seeps sealant like a sponge.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    Anyone with the 2013 on up (air formed frame) RIP 9 have a Maxxis Ikon 2.35 on the rear? If so, I would love to see a picture of the clearance between the tire and the seat stay brace arch. If you don't have a pic, but you have previously ran one, what was your experience (clearance) with it?

I tried to run a WTB Vigilante 2.3 on the rear, but there was maybe 5mm of clearance and the tire picked up rocks and wedged them between the brace.

I'm currently running a Spesh Ground Control Grid 2.3 which has solved the problem, but the dam thing seeps sealant like a sponge.

Thanks in advance

On a flow ex with about 30psi. I have not ridden this setup on the rip 9, it's from my el mariachi.

mtbr member
    Very helpful, thanks! Looks like my next tire is the Ikon 2.35..... I have never ran a Maxxis tire before, hopefully they setup tubeless better than the Spesh tires do.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Those are doing well as tubeless running home brew.

mtbr member
    Good to hear. Deciding between High Roller II 2.3 vs Ardent 2.4 for the front.......

mtbr member
    Bought this 2014 RIP9 six months ago.
    Medium frame
    Fox 34 CTD fork
    Rock Shox Monarch RT3
    Shimano SLX groupset 2x10
    Superstar Tactic & Tesla hubs wheelset
    Spank Oozy handlebar & stem
    KS dropper seatpost
    Shimano SLX 180 brakes & rotors
    Exustar flat pedals
    WTB Pure saddle
    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-2016-04-21-19.01.25.jpg

mtbr member
    My 2012 RIP9 med
    XT derailluer/shifter 1x
    SLX 11/36 cassette
    Race Face Aeffect cinch crankset
    Wolf Tooth 28t elliptical chainring
    2012 Rockshox revelation dual air 140mm
    Manitou Mcleod rear shock
    K-Lev eten dropper post
    Fizik Kurve Chameleon saddle
    DT Swiss XM 481 rims laced to DT 350 hubs
    Schwalbe Hans Dampf front/Rock Razor rear
    3T ergonova team carbon bar
    Truvativ Stylo 75mm stem
    Ergon GE1 grips
    Moove flat pedals
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-img_1305.jpg  

Pedal! Gasp for Air...
    My 2014 Aluminum RIP 9 - Large
    • 10 speed XT shifter/derailluer 1x
    • Wolftooth/Goat Link derailluer hanger
    • SunRace 11/42 cassette
    • XT Crank
    • Absolute Black 32t eliptical chainring
    • 130mm Rockshock Revelation fork
    • Monarch rear shock
    • Stan's Flow EX wheels
    • Schwalbe Nobby Nics front/back
    • KS DropZone remote dropper post
    • Cromag flat pedals
    • Niner carbon flat bar
    • Oury lock-on girps
    • Ergon saddle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-20160821_132845.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Hi everybody! Long-time lurker, first time poster. You guys have some awesome bikes in this thread. Last year, I bought one of the last large Rally Blue RDO frames available and have been slowly gathering parts to complete it. Hopefully I'll be able to post finished pictures of it soon.
    One thing I was hoping to do is swap the Fox shock for the Monarch that came on the RIP carbon and alloy models but I understand that this shock with the proper tune isn't available commercially. Does anybody know where I might be able to get my hands on one?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    From all the reviews I've read, the Fox on the RDO is a much better pedaling platform than the Monarch. I've not ridden the Monarch personally on this frame, but I will say that my RDO pedals exceptionally well, even in open mode. I also ride a SS hardtail often, to give you an idea of the stiffness I'm use to.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dances-with-bikes View Post
    Hi everybody! Long-time lurker, first time poster. You guys have some awesome bikes in this thread. Last year, I bought one of the last large Rally Blue RDO frames available and have been slowly gathering parts to complete it. Hopefully I'll be able to post finished pictures of it soon.
    One thing I was hoping to do is swap the Fox shock for the Monarch that came on the RIP carbon and alloy models but I understand that this shock with the proper tune isn't available commercially. Does anybody know where I might be able to get my hands on one?
    My LBS told me a while ago, that if you were looking for a new shock, they could source it direct from SRAM in any tune you could want. Not sure how true that might be, but you could look into it.

I was looking to upgrade to a Monarch RT3 Debonair from the Monarch RL that came on my bike, and all the RT3's I saw online were all medium tunes, whereas the Rip comes with a light tune.

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425