Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,200 of 1231
    mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    This was my first bike built from the frame up. Cant get enough of this bike!

Frame: large RDO with 170 psi in the fox protected by cytoe

fork: pike 130mm 51* with 80ish psi

cockpit: turbine 50mm stem - RF next 35 mm handle bars 760 mm wide - slx ice tech brakes - renthal super tacky grips

drivetrain: xt 11 - 42 with x1 crank 32 tooth up front - spd pedals FWIW

wheels: niner aluminum take offs swapped from old hardtail

tires: 2.25 nobby nics 23-27ish psi

seat/post: wtb saddle / reverb rh lever underneath left side

only thing i can't decide on is which beer cap to rock
    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-image.jpgThe RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-image.jpgThe RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-image.jpgThe RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-image.jpg
    Last edited by Firken-eh; 04-20-2016 at 09:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Sweet looking Rip 9 RDO. I can't get enough of mine either!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Studies have shown that riding your bicycle everyday makes you more awesome then the general population"

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)

Still loving my RIP RDO. Reading forums past year is only time I question it as bike for me. So much holy grail seeking in us it seems - as in "new geometry" 29s are THE RELEVANT bikes. Makes me realize the only thing approximating holy grail is custom frame. The RIP fits me and my riding style and local trails so well. I have long inseam which, due to seat post angle places my weight as far back as I'd be comfortable. I went with XL to get long front with short stem. These have been significant improvements over my size large 2010 RIP 9.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi All

I have a 2x10 XT 785 drivetrain on my 14 RIP9 RDO. Looking at switching to 1x11 and using the current cranks.

To do this I plan to get:
    XT 8000 11x42 cassette
    XT 11sp shifter
    Absolute black oval 32T chainring
    XT 8000 11sp rear derailleur
    11sp Shimano chain

For anyone with this setup or knowledge, installation "should be" very straightforward with this setup, right? In other words no need to play with spacers, etc?

Just want to know what I am in for. Thanks.The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-rip_1024.jpg

SoCal mtbr
    I've done this exact conversion for 4 of my friends now. It's straight forward and a great bang for your buck! I'm not sure where you're buying your parts from but I think it came out to under $300 for everything you mentioned at JensonUSA. Competitive Cyclist might be the same price too. Say goodbye to that front derailleur!
    Customer: How spicy is medium?
    Waitress: It's "medium"...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm mostly done messing with my new RIP 9 Carbon 3 Star. 4 tokens in the Pike RCT3, 203mm rotor up front moving the 180 to the back, a Hope Pro4 / DT EX471 wheel build to replace the Niner branded set, Ergon contact points, and a K-Edge stem mount for my Garmin to replace the YAWYD cap. Now all that is left is to debate if a Debonair can will actually fit my Large frame, and to replace the "Performance" Nobby Nics with some beefier side walled rubber.

Okay, I can also see an Angleset some way off in the future too... but so far it hasn't been nearly as frightening as some people would make it out to be. The 29" wheels compensate a lot for that compared to my previous 26" by sticking the contact patch itself out further by virtue of being bigger.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dba4life View Post
    Hi All

I have a 2x10 XT 785 drivetrain on my 14 RIP9 RDO. Looking at switching to 1x11 and using the current cranks.

To do this I plan to get:
    XT 8000 11x42 cassette
    XT 11sp shifter
    Absolute black oval 32T chainring
    XT 8000 11sp rear derailleur
    11sp Shimano chain

For anyone with this setup or knowledge, installation "should be" very straightforward with this setup, right? In other words no need to play with spacers, etc?

Just want to know what I am in for. Thanks.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIP_1024.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	438.0 KB 
ID:	1067076
    Everything should work fine. But go with a Sram chain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DMOS View Post
    Now all that is left is to debate if a Debonair can will actually fit my Large frame
    Emailed Niner about this some time ago, and i was told it will fit the aluminum frames, but not the carbon. Not sure why. But I could be remembering wrong, so best to check before you go and order something.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Everything should work fine. But go with a Sram chain.
    I went with a KMC x11-93 chain when I ordered last night. Should that be OK? Just so I know why do you recommend a SRAM?

Thanks for the heads up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Since the Xt 11-42 with an Absolute Black 32t oval ring is a popular choice, does anyone remember how many chain links they ended up using?

Thanks

I went with a KMC x11-93 chain when I ordered last night. Should that be OK? Just so I know why do you recommend a SRAM?

Thanks for the heads up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    No real reason, other than people who have had issues with the chain dropping while back-pedaling have seen them lessened when using a SRAM chain rather than Shimano. KMC may work better as well,

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    No real reason, other than people who have had issues with the chain dropping while back-pedaling have seen them lessened when using a SRAM chain rather than Shimano. KMC may work better as well,
    Yup just saw that issue earlier today when looking at new chain installation videos. This was the first time I have replaced a derailleur and chain without assistance. The KMC was 118 links and I took 4 of them off and it was pretty close to the length of the chain on the 2x10 setup. It took a bunch of trial and error but I finally got it all working. The chain coming off when backpedaling was an issue but I was able to get rid of it via tweaking. Quite happy with the setup. The oval ring didn't feel that weird to me on pavement. We will see tomorrow on the trails....

This is what it looked like in the 42t cog. There was still some room for the chain to go straight and I took the air out of the shock and with it fully compressed there was still some movement available. So I hope I am good. If anyone sees trouble please let me know. To those looking real close, I did cut down the cable after I took the pict.

Thanks

The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-rip-drivetrain-800.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    What tweaks did you do? On my aluminum Rip, which has slightly longer chainstays than the carbon, I can back-pedal four of five, sometimes more, revolutions before the chain falls off, so I don't worry much about it. Should never be an issue in real world riding.

The setup is still pretty new though, with only about 50 miles on it, so i'm hoping as it wears in, the issue will disappear entirely.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    What tweaks did you do? On my aluminum Rip, which has slightly longer chainstays than the carbon, I can back-pedal four of five, sometimes more, revolutions before the chain falls off, so I don't worry much about it. Should never be an issue in real world riding.

The setup is still pretty new though, with only about 50 miles on it, so i'm hoping as it wears in, the issue will disappear entirely.
    I wish I could tell you. This was my first time installing a new derailleur so it was lots of trial and error before I found a setup that just worked. Had the first ride last night. I have to say I really liked the setup.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Emailed Niner about this some time ago, and i was told it will fit the aluminum frames, but not the carbon. Not sure why. But I could be remembering wrong, so best to check before you go and order something.
    I have a brand new never mounted Monarch RT3 Debonair in 200x51mm which is the same size as the RIP9 for sale for cheap-ish. PM me if you are interested in it for your RIP9.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Snagged an alloy RIP frame off PP and built it up with some parts off my SIR. Have ridden SS for the last 8 or so years and went with 1x10 XTR for the drive train. Got a Pike RCT3 140, but it showed up with the lower right fork leg covered in oil and began leaking oil out of the rebound knob a few days later after sitting with no ride time to speak of. Sent it back, waiting on the replacement, gonna get some better pics then. Might consider an angleset after I get some solid ride time on it to slacken it out a bit. We'll see though. Parts list below:

RIP9 alloy frame, monarch rt hv
    16 RS Pike RCT3 140mm
    Hope Race X2 Brakes
    XTR RD+RS 1x10, 11-36 (personally don't need that ultra low gearing)
    Velocity Blunt SS Rims, Chris King ISO Hubs
    Next SL Cranks
    Weighs 26 lbs exactly, not too shabby

The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-image1-2-.jpg
    Niner RIP 9 Alloy

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Slackened 2.5 degrees with 1.5 degree Works headset and 1 degree offset shock bushings. Running 140mm Pike up front and hybrid drive-train XTR rear derailleur with X01 cassette.

Bike is about 27.5 lbs with pedals.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Hey guys, I'm selling my rip9 frame on here, it's in great shape and we'll maintained.

2014 Niner Rip 9, Green, Large w/Fox Fork - Buy and Sell Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Kinda wanting to upgrade the shock to something a little bit rowdier, looks like there aren't many options in the 200x51 size for beefier shocks. So far I'm seeing the Monarch RC3 Plus being the best option. Was interested in the DVO Topaz and somewhat interested in the CC DB Inline but only see 200x50 sizes available in those. Guessing the 1 mm makes a difference there. Anyone else in here running something beefier than the stock shock with some feedback? Thanks!
    Niner RIP 9 Alloy

Dave
    Good question I was just looking at a CC DB their 500$. Now I know what size I need. I don't think a 51 VS 50 would make a huge difference
    I need to ride more and work less.

mtbr member

Good job! 27.5 plus conversion on my niner RIP9

Hello,

I did a 27.5 plus conversion on my niner RIP9 (pre 2013 frame).

Love the new setup, especially the 2.8 Schwalbe Nobby Nic and the i45 WTB Scrapers - great match.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-img_2484.jpg  

- Olli

Dave
    That is sick dude!!! Take that fattie6. Rear clearance? Will it work in a 2013 frame I wonder???? Wheel weights?

mtbr member
    @liteandfast thanks!

As far as the rear clearance goes, I've added a photo - about 5mm (each side).

Will it work with a 2013 frame? I really don't know, I haven't seen any 2013 frame conversions to 2.8, or 3.0.

Wheel weights (not a lite conversion - for fun, not racing):
    Rims: 650g (each)
    Rubber: 860g (each)
    ——————————
    Total: 1510g (each without sealant or sp.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-img_2688.jpg  

- Olli

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I just want to be sure it will work before dropping the cash ya know?

On a side note here's a thread on B+ RIP setup My B+ Rip9

Looks like he's running 32mm inner diameter rims with 3.0 nobby nics no issue on the most recent gen alloy frame. I'd like to do this with mine too eventually. I run a 29x3 fat b nimble on the front wheel and it clears my Pike just fine, but my rims are only 27mm inner diameter. Love the benefits of plus, certainly more options now as far as tires go.
    Niner RIP 9 Alloy

mtbr member
    @Gingervitis

As far as "dropping the money goes," yes, I totally agree.
    I decided to throw some money at my RIP9 before picking up something else. I love my frame, hell, that thing is a tank and nearly indestructible (I said nearly).

Btw. Sweet B+ RIP ride, I really like it man!
    - Olli

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    The Topaz is priced a little bit better than the CC, but either way I don't want to make a $300+ mistake.

The RIP in the thread I linked isn't mine, belongs to NS2000X. I've got the blue one a little bit farther up the page. Wouldn't mind a nice wheelset like his though at some point!
    Niner RIP 9 Alloy

mtbr member
    @Gingervitis

.... I don't want to make a $300+ mistake. ... understood.

Yeah, I just did a general statement on the green machine. Really like the bike.

... and 26lb on your blue puppy, dang, no garbage on that bike.
    - Olli

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have 2014 RIP 9 RDO. Any suggestions for a dropper post?
    Thanks,
    Eric

mtbr member
    I just got the Fox Transfer Dropper in 125mm for my RIP9 and it works like a champ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - Olli

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ejput View Post
    I have 2014 RIP 9 RDO. Any suggestions for a dropper post?
    Thanks,
    Eric

I am using the reverb. I am on #2 and the reputation is they are unreliable. I bought it at Performance so I can return it every time it stops working. When it works, it does everything you need it to. They did just release a redesigned model so the old ones you can find on sale.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yup - I did the same drivetrain upgrade on my Jet9 RDO tonight (32t absolute black oval, XT 10-42 11speed cassette, KMC chain) and I cannot get rid of the backpedal issue on the 42t cog. Going to try an SRAM chain and see if that resolves it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    What specs do I need to look for while looking at different dropper posts? In other words, what's going to fit on the 2014 RIP 9?

mtbr member
    @ejput

- seat post diameter
    - seat post length
    - internal dropper cable/pipe routing vs external
    - cable vs hydraulic (RockShox vs the rest)
    - Dropper post switch/leaver (left hand vs right hand)
    - how much $ you want to throw at it

..... I bet there could be more, but that's how I figured what dropper I wanted

- Olli

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Yup - I did the same drivetrain upgrade on my Jet9 RDO tonight (32t absolute black oval, XT 10-42 11speed cassette, KMC chain) and I cannot get rid of the backpedal issue on the 42t cog. Going to try an SRAM chain and see if that resolves it.
    Coming back from my ride yesterday, I realized i hadn't tried the backpedal thing since i built it up, so gave it a shot. Managed 18 revolutions before the chain dropped, but then after that first time, it would fall off after about the third. So maybe it's just a wearing in process.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

It's going to be a great Saturday night.

Let the fun begin!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-image.jpg  

The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-image.jpg  

Carbon & Ti rule
    Nice, I look forward it all together
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Couldn't resist the PP deal, so I picked up a frame. Had a bunch of parts that I either had laying around, or poached off my other bikes.

Running 1x11 XT. I was concerned at first about loosing gears, but I am still close enough to the range I was utilizing on my old bike with the new massive 11-42 cassette. I hardly ever used to shift out of the middle ring when I had a triple. No back pedal issue to speak of so far.
    Old XTR direct mount cranks w/ Boone 30t ti ring. Looking at getting the Race Face Atlas Cinch cranks with 28t ring.
    Fox 34 140mm
    On the rear shock, I have an offset bushing on the bottom and needle bearing on the top.
    Spec Purgatory Grid front and rear.
    Saving up for a Fox Transfer. A little disappointed that I think I can only fit the 100mm, though with my seat height.

The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-img_0046.jpgThe RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-img_0047.jpgThe RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-img_0048.jpgThe RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-img_0049.jpgThe RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-img_0050.jpg
    Last edited by ryball; 06-27-2016 at 07:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Getting there.

I robbed my girlfriends wheels just to get it off the stand. Flow MK3's will be here tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryball View Post
    Couldn't resist the PP deal, so I picked up a frame. Had a bunch of parts that I either had laying around, or poached off my other bikes.

Running 1x11 XT. I was concerned at first about loosing gears, but I am still close enough to the range I was utilizing on my old bike with the new massive 11-42 cassette. I hardly ever used to shift out of the middle ring when I had a triple. No back pedal issue to speak of so far.
    Old XTR direct mount cranks w/ Boone 30t ti ring. Looking at getting the Race Face Atlas Cinch cranks with 28t ring.
    Fox 34 140mm
    On the rear shock, I have an offset bushing on the bottom and needle bearing on the top.
    Spec Purgatory Grid front and rear.
    Saving up for a Fox Transfer. A little disappointed that I think I can only fit the 100mm, though with my seat height.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0046.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	1078503Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0047.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	1078504Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0048.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	1078505Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0049.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	1078506Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0050.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	1078507
    Looks good Ryball. Does the bottom of the 30t ring sit higher or lower than your skid plate? I tried a 125 mm drop fox transfer and the post was too long for me...now I'm waiting for the 100mm drop version to be back in stock.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    Looks good Ryball. Does the bottom of the 30t ring sit higher or lower than your skid plate? I tried a 125 mm drop fox transfer and the post was too long for me...now I'm waiting for the 100mm drop version to be back in stock.
    Skid plate only covers the frame. I am looking at different ISCG 05 chainring guards, but haven't decided on one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryball View Post
    Skid plate only covers the frame. I am looking at different ISCG 05 chainring guards, but haven't decided on one.
    Can you post links for the chainring guards?

Thanks!

- Olli

Dave
    Great looking bike. What is mounted to your stem in Picture1&2. Sick deal these past weeks at PP. Just finished building a Jet for a friend of mind. He loves it.
    I have a RIP 9 2013 model, still loving it.

Dave
    YEAH!!!! That is a great project there man. Putting 27.5 on it?

mtbr member
    ..... took my RIP9 out for a ride to the lake + I really like my 27.5+ setup and the additional NN 2.8 grip .....

- Olli

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by liteandfast View Post
    Great looking bike. What is mounted to your stem in Picture1&2. Sick deal these past weeks at PP. Just finished building a Jet for a friend of mind. He loves it.
    I have a RIP 9 2013 model, still loving it.
    It's a hopey steering damper.

Hopey Steering Dampers

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by liteandfast View Post
    YEAH!!!! That is a great project there man. Putting 27.5 on it?
    If you're talking to me, probably not. All of my wheels are 29".

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 0lli View Post

Thanks!

I don't need a burly chain guide or anything. That is why I am just looking at guards.

MRP
    XCg (V2) ? MRP
    XCg (V1) ? MRP

Blackspire
    Blackspire - CRUSHER | Blackspire
    Blackspire - BRUISER | Blackspire

Absolute Black
    absoluteBLACK | TACO Bashguard

Gamut
    Trail XR - Gamut USA Store

No unpermitted erections
    Quote Originally Posted by 0lli View Post

Thanks!

How about the skidplate, got a linky for those?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    How about the skidplate, got a linky for those?

Thanks.
    Here you go Rock protection for Santa Cruz, Niner, Ibis, Turner, and Yeti frames - Buy and Sell Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Now just needs tuned.

Couldn't ask for a better ride. Full XTR.