Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 575 of 911
  1. #551
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2

    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)

    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Nice bike ramada. Very similar to mine. One question though - what the hell truck do you have? That thing looks huge.
    2012 F-150 I was kneeling down when I took the picture, it's an angle thing.

  2. #552
    trail "cleaner"
    Reputation: AZmtncycler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,301
    Well Done Ramon! Down the road you might want to go with a stiffer wheelset but at your weight, the Arches might be OK. Let me know if you want to hit the trail sometime.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramada75 View Post
    -Main purpose (XC, AM, etc): XC/Trail

    -Trail location/terrain: Southern AZ

    -Frame Year/Size/Color: 12/Small/Ano Licorice

    -Rider Weight: 145

    -Rider Height/Inseam: 5'5" / 30"

    -Stem (length/rise): Thomson 90mm/0 degree (70mm on order)

    -Seatpost: Niner Alloy

    -Handlebar: Niner flat Alloy

    -Rear Shock: Stock Float CTD Boost Valve Factory Series w/Trail adj (non Kashima)

    -Rear settings (psi, etc.): 110psi

    -Fork: 2013 SID RCT3 120mm

    -Fork settings (psi, etc.): 100psi

    -Brake Setup: XT w/180mm ice tech rotors

    -Drivetrain Setup: XT 2x10 Front and Dérailleur

    -Tires: Maxxis Ardent 2.25 Front/Rear

    -Wheels: Arch EX w/Stan's 3.30 hubs

    -Build Weight: <30lbs I think

    -Comments, etc: New bike and have only ridden twice thus far. So far this bike is amazing and does everything my Fuel EX does and better. A little getting used to 2x10 coming from 3x9.

    Attachment 795968
    No dabs allowed!

  3. #553
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,912

    '12 rip

    Recently scored a great deal on a 2012 RIP frame off Jenson (lower than advertised) and built it up mostly with parts from the Transition Bandit 29 I rode last summer.

    '12 RIP 9, size L, 142x12 rear axle installed
    '11 Reba RLT Ti, 20mm thru, set at 140mm travel
    SRAM X-9 3x9 drivetrain with Truvativ Stylo crankset
    Sun Ringle Black Flag Pro wheelset
    KS Lev seatpost
    Ritchey Pro Streem saddle
    XTR brakes, 180/160
    Niner Flat top bar
    ODI Ruffian Grips
    Panaracer Rampage 2.35 front tire
    Specialized The Captain Control 2.0 rear tire
    Time ATAC pedals

    Having ridden a Jet 9 for the last couple of years and demoed a Jet 9 RDO, I have to say that the RIP is by far and away my favorite of the three (followed by the alloy Jet and then the Jet RDO - that's a bike that can't figure out what it wants to be.) The CVA suspension is the real-effing-deal. The RIP climbs great and is plenty plush for me on the DH. I like the slack seat tube angle and the short wheelbase for good tight handling. All in all, so far, I give it a 5 out of 5 stars. I could be bummed that I didn't wait for the '13 RIP, but at $1200 new for the frame, I can't see how the '13 could be $700 better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-903011_10151526138711544_423869141_o.jpg  


  4. #554
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig View Post
    Recently scored a great deal on a 2012 RIP frame off Jenson (lower than advertised) and built it up mostly with parts from the Transition Bandit 29 I rode last summer.
    Hey Pig
    Just curious but how does the RIP compare to the Bandit? I ride a RIP but have always wondered...

  5. #555
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,834

    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)

    Asked him the same question:

    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03
    Hi!
    Saw your post in the RIP thread which mentioned that you're coming off a bandit. Anything you can tell me about how the two bikes compare? Anything in particular spur the switch?

    Thanks!
    Kurt
    I'd say the key difference between the two is the RIP is better uphill and the Bandit is better downhill. No pedal feedback at all from the RIP and it climbs like a much lighter bike. The Bandit has a bit more pedal bob, but is far more plush downhill. The RIP has a higher BB and shorter wheelbase. I went with the RIP because I could never get comfortable on the Bandit. I was between sizes (L and XL) on the Bandit and sized up. However, the 74 degree seat tube angle was too steep for my long legs and my back would hurt after longer rides. The STA of the RIP is 72.5 degrees, which works better for me. Both are great bikes.
    Last edited by kragu; 05-10-2013 at 09:17 AM.

  6. #556
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,912
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Asked him the same question:
    What he said!

    After a few rides, my conclusion is that the RIP is better uphill and the Bandit plusher downhill (not necessarily better, but plusher feeling.) Weight is about the same. The RIP just feels "sturdier" (although that's purely subjective.) I like the fit of the RIP better. I think the RIP is a more attractive bike (again subjective.) The 140mm front fork on the RIP feels just right, but always felt a little short/low/steep on the Bandit. The low BB height on the Bandit results in great cornering feel, but it results in a lot of pedal strikes if you're pedaling through corners - the RIP does not have that problem. Both great bikes.

  7. #557
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,964
    Bye-bye to any chain "stuck" issues or clearance areas in and around that nasty chainstay yoke area of my prior version RIP 9 frame. I morphed it to a 1 x 9 (for now) using my old Shimano XT M752 Octalink BB cranks, the Rotor Q Ring 34T singlespeed ring and the Rohloff Chain Guide.

    P1010065

    P1010064

    My XL now weighs in at 27.27 pounds running the large volume 2.3 Renegade Control tires.

    P1010066

  8. #558
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    27

    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)

    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Asked him the same question:
    [QUOTE=Earthpig;10384812]What he said!

    /QUOTE]

    Thanks for the info guys. Think I'll be sticking with the RIP.

  9. #559
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7
    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-20130218_083107.jpg

  10. #560
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,834
    Nice, morsecode. Spec list?

  11. #561
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7
    Thanks scvkurt03!

    Specs:
    RIP 9 Medium PUSH RP23 Rear Shock
    FOX 34 Talas 15mm Thru Axle
    Renthal FatBar Lite 740MM
    Thomson 100mm Stem
    King HS
    Hope V Tech Brakes 180mm Front 160mm rear
    Stans FLOW laced in CK LD hubs
    Full XO group 2x10 clutch RD
    KS I Lev Post 125mm (i replaced the old Thomson)
    WTB silverado Ti rails
    Salsa Seat Collar
    Maxle 142mm rear axle
    CrankBrothers Candy 3 pedals
    ODI Troy Lee design Grips
    KMC gold 10spd Chain
    Maxxis ARDENT 2.4 F 2.25 R

  12. #562
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    80

    Teaser...

    Nobody has replied to this thread in a little while so I thought that I'd post my build specs. My bike is at the LBS getting the final assembly done and I'll post photos up when I get it back.

    Frame: 12 RIP 9 med in raw (5' 10", 31" inseam)
    Headset: CK InSet i4
    Fork: RockShox Revelation 140mm, 20mm TA
    Shock: Standard Fox
    Bar: Answer ProTaper Carbon AM 720mm
    Grips: ODI Rogue
    Stem: Thomson X4 70mm
    Brakes: XT 785
    Shifters: XTR 980
    Ders (Front/Rear): XTR 986
    Cransket: XT 785 2x10
    Wheelset (Front/Rear): Hope Hoops, Flow EX rims 12x142
    Tires (Front/Rear): Maxxis Ardent 2.4
    Seatpost: RockShox Reverb 355mm/100mm drop
    Pedals: Speedplay Drillium platform

  13. #563
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    9
    Here my build. The bike will be available on Wednesday 26th June. I will post the photos soon ;-)

    Frame: Niner RIP 9 Green 2014
    Fork: Fox 34 Talas 29 Black 140/110 CTD FIT 15QR Kashima Fork 2013
    Handlebar: Niner RDO Green Carbon 780mm (cut to 740mm)
    Stem: Niner RDO Green Alloy 80mm
    Grips: ODI Rogue Green
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano XT
    Chain: KMC X10SL DLC Black/Red
    Crankset: Shimano XT M780 10 Speed Triple Chainset
    Cassette: Shimano XT M771 11-36 10SP
    BrakeSet F: Shimano XT M785
    Brake Set R: Shimano XT M785
    Rotor F: Shimano XT RT86 Ice-Tech 6-Bolt Disc Rotor 180mm
    Rotor R: Shimano XT RT86 Ice-Tech 6-Bolt Disc Rotor 160mm
    Shifter F: Shimano XT M780 3spd
    Shifter R: Shimano XT M780 10spd
    Deraileur R: Shimano XT M786 Shadow Plus
    Deraileur F: Shimano XT M780 E-Type 3x10 Front Mech
    Headset: FSA
    Saddle: Specialized Romin Expert Black
    Seat Post: RockShox Reverb 380mm 125mm Drop
    Seat Post Clamp: Niner Seat Collar
    Wheel Set: Easton Haven Mag 15mm Thru Axle Front/142mmx12mm Rear
    Tires: Maxxis Ardent 2.25 Front/Rear
    Pedals: HT AE02

  14. #564
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,237
    Nice build.

    Quote Originally Posted by allylaurente View Post
    Here my build. The bike will be available on Wednesday 26th June. I will post the photos soon ;-)

    Frame: Niner RIP 9 Green 2014
    Fork: Fox 34 Talas 29 Black 140/110 CTD FIT 15QR Kashima Fork 2013
    Handlebar: Niner RDO Green Carbon 780mm (cut to 740mm)
    Stem: Niner RDO Green Alloy 80mm
    Grips: ODI Rogue Green
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano XT
    Chain: KMC X10SL DLC Black/Red
    Crankset: Shimano XT M780 10 Speed Triple Chainset
    Cassette: Shimano XT M771 11-36 10SP
    BrakeSet F: Shimano XT M785
    Brake Set R: Shimano XT M785
    Rotor F: Shimano XT RT86 Ice-Tech 6-Bolt Disc Rotor 180mm
    Rotor R: Shimano XT RT86 Ice-Tech 6-Bolt Disc Rotor 160mm
    Shifter F: Shimano XT M780 3spd
    Shifter R: Shimano XT M780 10spd
    Deraileur R: Shimano XT M786 Shadow Plus
    Deraileur F: Shimano XT M780 E-Type 3x10 Front Mech
    Headset: FSA
    Saddle: Specialized Romin Expert Black
    Seat Post: RockShox Reverb 380mm 125mm Drop
    Seat Post Clamp: Niner Seat Collar
    Wheel Set: Easton Haven Mag 15mm Thru Axle Front/142mmx12mm Rear
    Tires: Maxxis Ardent 2.25 Front/Rear
    Pedals: HT AE02

  15. #565
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,834

    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)

    Still getting her dialed in, but here's my new alloy RIP, size medium.

    Specs: Fox 34 140mm, Monarch, Reverb, Fizik Gobi XM, Raceface Next 735mm bar, 60mm Turbine stem, X0 Trail brakes, X0 1x10 with Wolf Tooth 32t ring, Industry Nine Torch Trail, HD front, NN rear, Spank Spikes, Oury lock-ons




    Edit: deleted one and added a couple of pics
    Last edited by kragu; 06-27-2013 at 01:43 AM.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

  16. #566
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Still getting her dialed in, but here's my new alloy RIP, size medium.

    Specs: Fox 34 140mm, Monarch, Reverb, Fizik Gobi XM, Raceface Next 735mm bar, 60mm Turbine stem, X0 Trail brakes, X0 1x10 with Wolf Tooth 32t ring, Industry Nine Torch Trail, HD front, NN rear, Spank Spikes, Oury lock-ons


    Nice build! She looks Gorgeous!!! I can't wait for my Green version of this RIP9 2014!

  17. #567
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    9
    Here's The Grinch!
    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-1025365_10201146458999283_1998629415_o.jpg

  18. #568
    trail "cleaner"
    Reputation: AZmtncycler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,301
    very nice! What's that bolted onto your handlebar just off center from the stem?
    Quote Originally Posted by allylaurente View Post
    Here's The Grinch!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1025365_10201146458999283_1998629415_o.jpg 
Views:	1350 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	811230
    No dabs allowed!

  19. #569
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    9
    That is a Knog Blinder Light (iPod like design).

  20. #570
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,834

    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)

    We should get our bikes together for a photo shoot or something. Two sexy bikes!
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

  21. #571
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,237
    Quote Originally Posted by allylaurente View Post
    Here's The Grinch!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1025365_10201146458999283_1998629415_o.jpg 
Views:	1350 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	811230
    Man that's nice.

  22. #572
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    22
    A very nice bike Ally..

    Quote Originally Posted by allylaurente View Post
    Here's The Grinch!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1025365_10201146458999283_1998629415_o.jpg 
Views:	1350 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	811230

  23. #573
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    22
    Here is my newly acquired Niner RIP 9. With the 2014 model out, 2013 frames are on ridiculously lowered prices, so I never hesitated and grabbed one.



    2013 RIP9 Frame in Raw (Medium) (Rider at 1.82m tall), RockShox Revelation RCT3, Full Shimano XT set, Sun Ringle - Charger Pro wheelset, Nobby Nic Snakeskin 2.35, Niner carbon flat bar and seat post, 100mm stem alloy, WTB saddle volt sport, Wellgo B185 pedals.
    Total weight around 13.2kg (29lbs)

    One happy owner

  24. #574
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    9
    Nice Bike Ricky. See you in the trail ;-)

    Quote Originally Posted by LostDog99 View Post
    Here is my newly acquired Niner RIP 9. With the 2014 model out, 2013 frames are on ridiculously lowered prices, so I never hesitated and grabbed one.



    2013 RIP9 Frame in Raw (Medium) (Rider at 1.82m tall), RockShox Revelation RCT3, Full Shimano XT set, Sun Ringle - Charger Pro wheelset, Nobby Nic Snakeskin 2.35, Niner carbon flat bar and seat post, 100mm stem alloy, WTB saddle volt sport, Wellgo B185 pedals.
    Total weight around 13.2kg (29lbs)

    One happy owner

  25. #575
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    30
    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-image.jpg

    Got my rip in a few days ago. Love it so far. It is huge upgrade over my previous bike even though I was worried about the extra travel it does not seem to have many disadvantages. It's a small with x7 groupset. Bought the 1 star build at my lbs. It weighed in at 28.5 pounds without pedals. I was expecting it to weigh more with those components and no carbon it would weigh more but I won't complain.

Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •