Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,100 of 1240
  1. #1051
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    77
    I'd double check for contact by letting all of the air out of the shock and then letting it compress the entire way. It looks like Niner actually decreased the full stroke of the Monarch RL so the canister didn't impact the frame on the Rip 9 Carbon. The EVOL has an even larger canister I think.

    That said if the EVOL doesn't impact on a size large frame, I might have to upgrade.

  2. #1052
    SoCal mtbr
    Reputation: arashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Time View Post
    I'd double check for contact by letting all of the air out of the shock and then letting it compress the entire way. It looks like Niner actually decreased the full stroke of the Monarch RL so the canister didn't impact the frame on the Rip 9 Carbon. The EVOL has an even larger canister I think.

    That said if the EVOL doesn't impact on a size large frame, I might have to upgrade.
    I did that when I first installed the shock to check for any clearance issues and there were none.

  3. #1053
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    77
    Oh, you're on the first gen RIP. Fitment issues are with the carbon and RDO models that came later. Got confused, sorry. Sadly it still looks like the EVOL won't be on my shopping list.

  4. #1054
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    11
    Hello, first post here, recently got a rip 9 rdo frame and paired it to stuff carried over from my old trek rumblefish. Loving how light and nimble it feels and the effortless way it swallows both climbs and descents. I am considering installing a monarch xx in the rear, since I love the climb lock on the rt3 vs cod, and find the xloc remote an intriguing solution, especially since the front dérailleur internal routing channel is available due to my running a sram 11 speed.
    I went through this thread and found no mention of this shock/frame combo. Has anybody else tried it?
    Oh, while I'm at it, is the ctd factory really tuned to the rip or is it just a standard off-the-shelf unit that just so happens to match it well? Judging by how often people get it PUSHd etc etc, I would guess it's case #2. Correct?
    Any input is very welcome

  5. #1055
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by elias View Post
    Hello, first post here, recently got a rip 9 rdo frame and paired it to stuff carried over from my old trek rumblefish. Loving how light and nimble it feels and the effortless way it swallows both climbs and descents. I am considering installing a monarch xx in the rear, since I love the climb lock on the rt3 vs cod, and find the xloc remote an intriguing solution, especially since the front dérailleur internal routing channel is available due to my running a sram 11 speed.
    I went through this thread and found no mention of this shock/frame combo. Has anybody else tried it?
    Oh, while I'm at it, is the ctd factory really tuned to the rip or is it just a standard off-the-shelf unit that just so happens to match it well? Judging by how often people get it PUSHd etc etc, I would guess it's case #2. Correct?
    Any input is very welcome
    I called Fox when I was looking at options for replacing the CTD on my RDO. The one on the RDO has a "light" tune. The standard off the shelf one is a "medium" tune.

    Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

  6. #1056
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    148
    New frame and 1x10 conversion using Wolf Tooth Stop Drop chain ring, 17T and 42T cogs and Goatlink

    Frame: 15 RIP 9 med in black (5' 10", 31" inseam)
    Headset: CK InSet i4
    Fork: RockShox Revelation 140mm, 20mm TA
    Shock: RockShox
    Bar: Easton Havoc 35 780mm
    Stem: Easton Havoc 35 50mm
    Grips: ODI Rogue
    Brakes: XT 785
    Shifters: XTR 980
    Ders (Rear): XTR 986
    Crankset: XT 785 and Wolf Tooth Stop-drop 30T
    Wheelset (Front/Rear): Hope Hoops, Flow EX rims
    Tires (Front/Rear): Maxxis Ardent 2.4
    Seatpost: RockShox Reverb 355mm/100mm drop
    Pedals: Spank Spike platform


  7. #1057
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,434
    Quote Originally Posted by arashi View Post
    Here's my small 2010 Rip9 that I've had since new. She has served me well over the years and I've done some upgrades over the years. Here's the current setup

    RockShox Pike 140mm
    w/ NSD Cartridge Seal Head
    Fox DPS EVOL rear shock
    RWC Needle Bearing Kit
    Sram XX1 drivetrain w/ gripshift
    Hope Evol M4 Brakes
    XTR RT99 IceTech Rotors
    180mm Front and 160mm Rear
    DT Swiss XRC 1250 Carbon wheels
    15mm Front 12x142 Rear
    Hans Dampf Front and Conti Mtn King Rear
    DT Swiss 54 tooth Star Ratchet
    KS LEV Ti 125mm dropper
    KS Southpaw Lever
    Specialized Phenom Saddle
    Easton EC70 flat bar
    50mm Azonic Stem
    Hope F20 Flats
    Spurcycle Bike Bell
    28.37lbs



    Sick bike. I still think the 10-12 RIPs look better than the current iteration, carbon or alu, though there's a pretty clear performance difference, IMO.

  8. #1058
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    Nice bike,

    These can be a real fun bike, Enjoy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rolling In Peace View Post
    New frame and 1x10 conversion using Wolf Tooth Stop Drop chain ring, 17T and 42T cogs and Goatlink

    Frame: 15 RIP 9 med in black (5' 10", 31" inseam)
    Headset: CK InSet i4
    Fork: RockShox Revelation 140mm, 20mm TA
    Shock: RockShox
    Bar: Easton Havoc 35 780mm
    Stem: Easton Havoc 35 50mm
    Grips: ODI Rogue
    Brakes: XT 785
    Shifters: XTR 980
    Ders (Rear): XTR 986
    Crankset: XT 785 and Wolf Tooth Stop-drop 30T
    Wheelset (Front/Rear): Hope Hoops, Flow EX rims
    Tires (Front/Rear): Maxxis Ardent 2.4
    Seatpost: RockShox Reverb 355mm/100mm drop
    Pedals: Spank Spike platform

    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  9. #1059
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    82
    I'll looking for a little Rip RDO history. I know Niner doesn't do model years but The Blue RDO was 2014, The Licorice is 2014 and 2015? The white is the currently shown on the Niner page, so it's 2015? Are there any differences between these RDOs besides the color?

  10. #1060
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    77
    They switched to a new carbon layup process for the 2015 models. Supposedly it's a bit more compliant where it needs to be and a bit more stiff where it needs to be. I don't think there was any weight loss on the RIPs. Basically they are able to make the carbon much more uniform with the new layup process.

    The Blues are probably uniformly the old layup process and the Whites are almost definitely all the new layup process. They stopped making the black RDO earlier this year but there were some made with the old layup process and some made with the new. I think you can tell by the sticker on the bottom with the serial numbers but I'm not exactly sure how, I just know I have the newer layup (I bought mine earlier this year).

  11. #1061
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    82
    Thanks! That explains a lot.

    Rip owners:
    I have some wheel questions: Niner is equipping the lower and mid end (1,2 & 3 stars) packages with a wheel sets they call Niner AM alloy. I've read somewhere that these are made by Formula for Niner. How are these wheels holding up? Are they tubeless friendly (I doubt they are tubeless ready)? Any idea on weight? I wasn't able to figure much out going to the Formula website.

    I really would prefer some Flows Ex instead but just interested in how they compare, if anyone knows.

    Thanks in advance.

  12. #1062
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    I can't help with info on the niner wheels, But I have a couple of sets of flow EX wheels & a couple of sets of carbon wheels.

    Having ridden many sets of wheels, I would hold out until you can put the likes of Light bike 30mm inside Dia carbon wheels or Derby rims on it, They really make the bike come alive.

    Quote Originally Posted by motox72 View Post
    Thanks! That explains a lot.

    Rip owners:
    I have some wheel questions: Niner is equipping the lower and mid end (1,2 & 3 stars) packages with a wheel sets they call Niner AM alloy. I've read somewhere that these are made by Formula for Niner. How are these wheels holding up? Are they tubeless friendly (I doubt they are tubeless ready)? Any idea on weight? I wasn't able to figure much out going to the Formula website.

    I really would prefer some Flows Ex instead but just interested in how they compare, if anyone knows.

    Thanks in advance.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  13. #1063
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    82
    Thanks Muzz,
    My current thinking is to pull the wheels off from any Rip I buy (new) and sell them on ebay. Then buy some Carbon wheels. I've never looked at carbon wheels, so I'll take any info I can get. I see the light bike wheel you are speaking of. It has hope pro 2 hubs and the set weights 1500g for the price I could get some Flows. Good stuff? Tubeless works well? I'd like to keep the wheelset cost at or below $600

  14. #1064
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    Yes good to sell them new, Dig deep when going for the carbon wheels.

    I have had a good run with the LB 23mm inside carbon rims, I haven't myself run the 38mm LB rims, but have got the Derby rims & like the wide rims over the more narrow rims
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  15. #1065
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    85
    Stem length, seatpost setoff question.
    i have a Medium Black alloy Rip 9 (2014?) frame coming. I am 5'11" 32 inseam. what length stem should i go for? I am using Salsa Bend 2 at 17 degrees with the "wiggle" putting the grips more forward then other bars with that backsweep.
    Also, thoughts on set back for seatpost?
    thanks.

  16. #1066
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    77
    I would have went with a large and a 50mm stem. With the medium I'd probably get a 70mm as you might end up feeling cramped on a 50mm. YMMV.

  17. #1067
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    I'm 6' & ride a large with55mm stem,780mm bars & 11 deg back sweep & it feels good.

    As for the set back seat post, Because of the seat tube angle the top of the seat post is already quite a long way back, It might be better to just see how that goes after you have ridden it.

    Quote Originally Posted by icenoir View Post
    Stem length, seatpost setoff question.
    i have a Medium Black alloy Rip 9 (2014?) frame coming. I am 5'11" 32 inseam. what length stem should i go for? I am using Salsa Bend 2 at 17 degrees with the "wiggle" putting the grips more forward then other bars with that backsweep.
    Also, thoughts on set back for seatpost?
    thanks.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  18. #1068
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    868
    When I was test-riding Rips to figure out my size, I never felt comfortable on the medium frame. Granted, these were just short rides on the street and such, but I always felt a bit cramped up, uncomfortable. So I ordered a large. I knew it was too big for me inseam-wise, as I have short legs, but I have a longer torso, and the front to back felt right. Been totally happy with the bike, but still always had that nagging feel that maybe I could fit on a medium.

    Went to a Niner demo a few weeks ago, and managed to spend about an hour out on a medium on the trails. Took my tape measure and hex wrenches, and got to play around with fit and dial it in right. At the end, I decided that the medium was the right size for me. So went to my local dealer, and had him order one of these. Dealer said I got the last of these in medium that Niner had. Guy at the demo said Niner had only had 50 frames total built in this color.



    A bit disappointed when it got here. I think it was a combination of buyer's remorse, having to get rid of my trusty black and silver Rip, and that this frame was matte instead of glossy blue. But now that I've got it built up, and have ridden it a couple times, I'm really loving it. The old large felt like it would roll through and over anything. This just feels more responsive, more agile and nimble. it feels like it's carving the trail. Here it is with my parts moved over.



    Running a rigid post until my new Lev gets here. I could probably use my 100mm drop Lev, but the bottom of the post is right where the bottom of the seatpost/toptube weld is, and I'm just a little leary about that. the 125mm travel post will extend down another 5cm, offering a lot more support

    Frame: Niner RIP 9 Blue/bluer 2015, medium
    Fork: Pike RCT 140mm
    Shock: Monarch RT HV
    Handlebar: Niner alloy flattop 710mm
    Stem:Hope 70mm
    Grips: Ergon GP3
    Bottom Bracket: Hope 30mm
    Chain: KMC 10 speed
    Crankset: Hope crankset with Slick bashguard, Race Face 22/36 rings
    Cassette: SRAM PG 1070 11-36
    BrakeSet Hope Tech X2 SE 183mm, braided cables
    Shifters: SRAM X9 2x10 speed
    Deraileur R: SRAM X9 Type 2 10 speed med cage
    Deraileur F: SRAM X7 S3 DM
    Headset: King Inset 2
    Saddle: WTB Rocket Pro
    Seat Post: KS Lev 125mm drop
    Seat Post Clamp: Niner
    Wheel Set: Hope/Stan's Arch 15mm Thru Axle Front/142mmx12mm Rear
    Tires: Schwalbe Racing Ralph front/ Maxxis Ikon rear
    Pedals: Hope F20
    Cables: Jagwire
    Accessories: Cytoe's linkage shield, Hope matchmakers

    Thinking of going with a beefier tire in the front, maybe an Ardent or the new Nobbie Nic, and may try out a 50mm stem as well.
    Last edited by rufus; 07-12-2016 at 05:43 PM.

  19. #1069
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    21
    Nice! I myself prefer matte over gloss, so I don't think you should have any remorse there. I'm pretty happy with the Hans Dampf on my front, really great offroad.

  20. #1070
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    85
    So i just received my Rip 9 Alloy frame from Pricepoint. I had them install the headset -
    build:
    Headset: Cane Creek 40
    Bars: Salsa Bend 2, 17Deg.
    Truvative AKA Stem, 70mm
    Fork: X-Slide 120
    Wheelset: PWB build - Easton Arc 27.5, BHS/ Bitex hubs
    Brakes: Shimano SLX
    Cassette: SLX
    Triggers: Saint
    Mech: Zee
    Pedal: Time atac.
    Cranks: SLX with Abs. Black Oval ring
    Post: Easton carbon T40
    Grip: Ergon
    Tires: Ardent 2.4, Ikon 2.35.

    Wheels wont ship for a week, pics when its done.

  21. #1071
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    77
    Just set mine up with some new Industry Nine's, LOVE the look.

    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-fullsizerender-3.jpgThe RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-fullsizerender-4.jpg

  22. #1072
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,416
    In case anyone was searching, here's a link to my renewed mtbr ad for Niner protection plates. I've added several new models (RKT9 RDO, One9 RDO, and Air9 RDO)

    Link

  23. #1073
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    868
    Couple shots of my new Rip out in the wild. Sitting in my livingroom, I think, man I'm gonna get tired of this color, I should've stuck to the black, and then i look at it out on the trail..........................




  24. #1074
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    Cool
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  25. #1075
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    3
    Hello i have a Niner RIP 9 Alloy 2011 and i want to buy a new buy a new Rear Shock.
    I decided to get a Monarch RT3 and the dealer asked me which version of Shock i need and gave me this list:

    Tune Assy, Monarch RT3 Reb-Low/Comp-Low 3 (CF-60lbs ) soft threshold, LF-320, C1
    Tune Assy, Monarch RT3 Reb-Low/Comp-Low (CF-80lbs) soft threshold, LF-320, C1
    Tune Assy, Monarch RT3 Reb-Low/Comp-Mid (CF-97lbs) soft threshold, LF-320, C1
    Tune Assy, Monarch RT3 Reb-Mid/Comp-Low 3 (CF-60 lbs) soft threshold, LF-320, C1
    Tune Assy, Monarch RT3 Reb-Mid/Comp-Low (CF-80lbs) soft threshold, LF-320, C1
    Tune Assy, Monarch RT3 Reb-Mid/Comp-Mid (CF-97lbs) soft threshold, LF-320, C1
    Tune Assy, Monarch RT3 Reb-Mid/Comp-High (CF-110lbs) soft threshold, LF-320, C1
    Tune Assy, Monarch RT3 Reb-High/Comp-High (CF-110lbs) soft threshold, LF-320, C1
    Tune Assy, Monarch RT3 Reb-Low/Comp-Low 3 (CF-60lbs ) firm threshold, LF-320, C1
    Tune Assy, Monarch RT3 Reb-Low/Comp-Low (CF-80lbs) firm threshold, LF-320, C1
    Tune Assy, Monarch RT3 Reb-Low/Comp-Mid (CF-97lbs) firm threshold, LF-320, C1
    Tune Assy, Monarch RT3 Reb-Mid/Comp-Low 3 (CF-60 lbs) firm threshold, LF-320, C1
    Tune Assy, Monarch RT3 Reb-Mid/Comp-Low (CF-80lbs) firm threshold, LF-320, C1
    Tune Assy, Monarch RT3 Reb-Mid/Comp-Mid (CF-97lbs) firm threshold, LF-320, C1
    Tune Assy, Monarch RT3 Reb-Mid/Comp-High (CF-110lbs) firm threshold, LF-320, C1
    Tune Assy, Monarch RT3 Reb-High/Comp-High (CF-110lbs) firm threshold, LF-320, C1
    Tune Assy, Monarch RT3 Reb-High/Comp-High (CF-110lbs) soft threshold, LF-430, C1

    So i am completly confused - what Version of the RT3 do i need fpr my RIP 9 Alloy 2011?

  26. #1076
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    54

    Shimano Side Swing Front Derailleur on RIP 9 RDO

    Wanted to share my experience with installing a Shimano Side Swing Front Derailleur on my RIP 9 RDO. I ran a full length housing through the normal insert point in the headtube, but then I squeezed the housing out of the same port used for the rear derailleur housing. I didn't need to modify the rubber gromet, just squeezed it through.

    I have been out for a few rides and this FD is AMAZING!! The shift effort is easily half that of the old bottom pull model. I am using an XTR 980 front shifter, and a 26-38 crankset. Both play nice with the new XT side swing derailleur. If you run a Shimano double setup, I highly recommend swapping to a side swing FD.

    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-img_20151108_085316462.jpg

  27. #1077
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    82
    I pulled the trigger on a Blk Rip RDO bike off of Price Point. I'll be pulling off a few items for sale and replacing them with better components. The bike did not come with a dropper post, so I'll be looking for one of those. I won't receive the bike for a week or so (Ca to Fl). Here's my question: Is there a port or any existing hole that I could use for a "stealth" dropper post? I really like the clean look of a internal fixed cable but my guess is, there is no port, otherwise Niner would be installing a Reverb Stealth, instead of the std Reverb. I'm not too impatient to wait for the bike to arrive, I just know that at this time of year a lot of deals come up and if one does, I need to grab it. I guess my choices are the Reverb, Thomson, Fox Doss or a KS. The 9point8 looks interesting but it's stealth.

    Of course, making my own port would violate the warranty.

  28. #1078
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    868
    Not to mention the structural integrity of the frame.

  29. #1079
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by motox72 View Post
    I pulled the trigger on a Blk Rip RDO bike off of Price Point. I'll be pulling off a few items for sale and replacing them with better components. The bike did not come with a dropper post, so I'll be looking for one of those. I won't receive the bike for a week or so (Ca to Fl). Here's my question: Is there a port or any existing hole that I could use for a "stealth" dropper post? I really like the clean look of a internal fixed cable but my guess is, there is no port, otherwise Niner would be installing a Reverb Stealth, instead of the std Reverb. I'm not too impatient to wait for the bike to arrive, I just know that at this time of year a lot of deals come up and if one does, I need to grab it. I guess my choices are the Reverb, Thomson, Fox Doss or a KS. The 9point8 looks interesting but it's stealth.

    Of course, making my own port would violate the warranty.
    No internal routing, its whats keeping the rip rdo from perfection
    IMHO, the KS Lev defeats the need for internal routing. However, the clever external dropper cable routing system even makes the reverb (which I'm still using) ultra tidy, the cable never got in the way like it did on my previous 3 bikes.
    Still considering swapping it for a KS Lev.
    I think I'll go for a 2016 monarch XX instead tho...

  30. #1080
    SoCal mtbr
    Reputation: arashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by motox72 View Post
    I pulled the trigger on a Blk Rip RDO bike off of Price Point. I'll be pulling off a few items for sale and replacing them with better components. The bike did not come with a dropper post, so I'll be looking for one of those. I won't receive the bike for a week or so (Ca to Fl). Here's my question: Is there a port or any existing hole that I could use for a "stealth" dropper post? I really like the clean look of a internal fixed cable but my guess is, there is no port, otherwise Niner would be installing a Reverb Stealth, instead of the std Reverb. I'm not too impatient to wait for the bike to arrive, I just know that at this time of year a lot of deals come up and if one does, I need to grab it. I guess my choices are the Reverb, Thomson, Fox Doss or a KS. The 9point8 looks interesting but it's stealth.

    Of course, making my own port would violate the warranty.
    If you run a 1x11 system that would free up one of the internal ports that would have been used for the front derailleur cable routed out of the head badge so you could run a stealth dropper. That's just my speculation though since I don't own a carbon Niner. Just seems to make sense. Otherwise like the previous person mentioned the KS LEV works great since the external cable starts at the seat collar and doesn't move when the seat moves up and down.

  31. #1081
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    82
    Thanks guys, I forgot about the KS Lev...I'll have to look for some reviews.

    [QUOTE=elias; However, the clever external dropper cable routing system even makes the reverb (which I'm still using) ultra tidy, the cable never got in the way like it did on my previous 3 bikes.

    Could you further explain? Are you saying your Niner came with the Reverb and the superior cable routing? If so, any idea where I could see this routing so I could duplicate? No Niner dealers anywhere near me.

  32. #1082
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by motox72 View Post
    Thanks guys, I forgot about the KS Lev...I'll have to look for some reviews.

    Could you further explain? Are you saying your Niner came with the Reverb and the superior cable routing? If so, any idea where I could see this routing so I could duplicate? No Niner dealers anywhere near me.
    I bought just a frame and a reverb just because I was familiar with it.
    What I meant to say is, the cable routing on the RIP is good in spite of the fact that it's external, firstly because the angle between the seattube and the top tube isn't too steep and thus doesn't leave a lot of loose cable hanging when dropped, which means it never gets in your way OR ever touches the rear tire. Secondly there is specific routing for it along the left lower side of the top tube, compared to other bikes that only leave a couple of fixings between the steering and seat tube, or none at all and expect you to use the brake/derailleur frame mounts instead. It may not look as aesthetically pleasing as an invisible internally routed cable, but it will never get in your way or require fiddly hose guides to keep it from rubbing against your frame.
    The KS Lev though should be a better choice because the cable attaches to the seat tube collar instead of the top clamp, thus you get NO moving parts. The reason why I went with the reverb was that I almost killed my previous one (31,6, so couldn't transfer it to the RIP) and the rockshox service kit made it as good as new which, I believe, deserves some customer loyalty

  33. #1083
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    82
    Elias....thanks for the detailed response, very helpful.

    The external cables don't bother me all that much, but I don't like the idea of the loop. It's just not an elegant solution (especially when you buy a new shiny bike).

    I've been doing a lot of reading and it appears that the Reverb and Thomson customer service is excellent (quick response). The Fox Doss appears to be a very reliable system but has some features I don't like. However, KS seems to have a bad rep for customer service. I like the KS Lev design approach the best, but I'm a bit concerned about CS.

    So more research.... It may just come down to a killer deal, if I find one, I may let that make my decision. Sounds like the loop on the RIP isn't all that bad, if I go that route.

  34. #1084
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by motox72 View Post
    Elias....thanks for the detailed response, very helpful.

    The external cables don't bother me all that much, but I don't like the idea of the loop. It's just not an elegant solution (especially when you buy a new shiny bike).

    I've been doing a lot of reading and it appears that the Reverb and Thomson customer service is excellent (quick response). The Fox Doss appears to be a very reliable system but has some features I don't like. However, KS seems to have a bad rep for customer service. I like the KS Lev design approach the best, but I'm a bit concerned about CS.

    So more research.... It may just come down to a killer deal, if I find one, I may let that make my decision. Sounds like the loop on the RIP isn't all that bad, if I go that route.
    My loop was a little too wide so the cable rubbed on the rear wheel with the dropper fully lowered and under compression of the rear shock. So if you spend a lot of time in a bike park make sure it doesn't rub when lowered. No excuse for no stealth routing on a 2015 frame. That's the cable that belongs in the frame not the rattling shifter ones.

  35. #1085
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by motox72 View Post
    Elias....thanks for the detailed response, very helpful.

    The external cables don't bother me all that much, but I don't like the idea of the loop. It's just not an elegant solution (especially when you buy a new shiny bike).

    I've been doing a lot of reading and it appears that the Reverb and Thomson customer service is excellent (quick response). The Fox Doss appears to be a very reliable system but has some features I don't like. However, KS seems to have a bad rep for customer service. I like the KS Lev design approach the best, but I'm a bit concerned about CS.

    So more research.... It may just come down to a killer deal, if I find one, I may let that make my decision. Sounds like the loop on the RIP isn't all that bad, if I go that route.
    This is as bad as the loop gets on mine, 125mm reverb fully compressed.The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1447572180.535690.jpg
    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1447571991.021147.jpg
    I purchased the right hand control version for the reverb, flipped it over and use on the left side upside down. You can see the routing better on the second pic, most rip pics on the net appear to be from the drive side at least back when I started looking...
    Totally agree with the previous poster, it's quite a letdown on a '15 bike of this class to lack internal routing , however niner isn't such a mainstream, refresh the entire line every year kinda company and this is something I can live with considering the alternatives to the rip.
    Simply put, I don't think there are any.

  36. #1086
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    If you don't use the last cable tie the hole thing works so much better.

    Quote Originally Posted by elias View Post
    This is as bad as the loop gets on mine, 125mm reverb fully compressed.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447572180.535690.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	341.3 KB 
ID:	1028842
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447571991.021147.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	330.2 KB 
ID:	1028841
    I purchased the right hand control version for the reverb, flipped it over and use on the left side upside down. You can see the routing better on the second pic, most rip pics on the net appear to be from the drive side at least back when I started looking...
    Totally agree with the previous poster, it's quite a letdown on a '15 bike of this class to lack internal routing , however niner isn't such a mainstream, refresh the entire line every year kinda company and this is something I can live with considering the alternatives to the rip.
    Simply put, I don't think there are any.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  37. #1087
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    82
    Elias, you are right, I could find no picks of the left side of the bike. Thanks so much for the pictures, I've got it now.

  38. #1088
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    If you don't use the last cable tie the hole thing works so much better.
    Those were my first thoughts too, then I feared the cable would rub along the downtube much more than in would with all cable ties in use. Will give it a try as soon as I get some transparent tape to cover the tube, thanks for the tip!

  39. #1089
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    My bike is clear taped with 3M stone guard & with my bike being somewhere around 2 years old & having run the Reveb from day 1, there isn't any signs of marking on the tape.


    Quote Originally Posted by elias View Post
    Those were my first thoughts too, then I feared the cable would rub along the downtube much more than in would with all cable ties in use. Will give it a try as soon as I get some transparent tape to cover the tube, thanks for the tip!
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  40. #1090
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    82
    Muzz....do you have the Reverb? Any comments on dropper posts?

  41. #1091
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    Hi yes I have the Reverb on 5 bikes at the moment & all going good.

    Mine are 125mm drop, My wife has 100mm drop.


    Quote Originally Posted by motox72 View Post
    Muzz....do you have the Reverb? Any comments on dropper posts?
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  42. #1092
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    495
    I just ordered a Reverb for my RDO a few days ago. Merlin has some good deals if you fit the size they have left: https://www.merlincycles.com/rocksho...ost-54780.html

  43. #1093
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
    I just ordered a Reverb for my RDO a few days ago. Merlin has some good deals if you fit the size they have left: https://www.merlincycles.com/rocksho...ost-54780.html
    Thanks! That's just the price point I was hoping for, below $250 but I may have to wait, not sure I can fit the longer post. I'll have to wait until the bike gets here to set my seat height, and take the necessary measurements.

  44. #1094
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    What seat height do you run ??
    What frame size ?

    Quote Originally Posted by motox72 View Post
    Thanks! That's just the price point I was hoping for, below $250 but I may have to wait, not sure I can fit the longer post. I'll have to wait until the bike gets here to set my seat height, and take the necessary measurements.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  45. #1095
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    82
    Large, 28 1/8 in (714 mm)

    Well just for reference, I'm 6 1. If I measure from the top of the seat post (the split, the center line of the seat rail) to the center of the crank, I get about 28 1/8 in (714mm). It's a RIP RDO, size Large. I suspect the 420 mm seat post will fit, but I don't where the post will bottom out at. I also don't know how much heavier the 420 mm post is then the 380 mm post (and of course if I don't need the longer post, why take the weight hit). But we are likely only talking 30 grams, or 50 grams at most, so maybe I should even consider that.

    I've narrowed down my choice between the KS Lev and the Reverb. I prefer the clean look of the new LEV (blk) with the stationary cable, but I like and know the function of the Reverb (I actual ridden bikes with it) and the superior CS of SRAM over KS. At $240, I would choice either I guess, using price as tie breaker.

  46. #1096
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    868
    What 420mm KS Lev post? All i see on their site is the 150mm drop post which is 435mm long. Or are we looking at Reverb numbers? Are you looking at 150mm drop?

  47. #1097
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    What 420mm KS Lev post? All i see on their site is the 150mm drop post which is 435mm long. Or are we looking at Reverb numbers? Are you looking at 150mm drop?
    I was speaking of the Reverb at Merlin Cycles on sale for $241. They only have the 420 length. Not looking at the LEV in this case. Sorry, wasn't clear.

  48. #1098
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    868
    So now we have to add up heights. You have 150mm for travel, approx 20mm for the cradle at the top, and approx 35mm for the collar at the bottom. All told, 205mm, +/-. This is the height of the post above the seat tube, if the post is slammed all the way in. It looks like you will need to have this post slammed, for the seat tube length of the large is 509mm, center of BB to top. 509 +205 = 714mm, your proper seat height.

    You subtract that 205 from either the 420 or 435 overall length of the posts, and you end up with 215/230 length, the length of seatpost that will need to fit inside the frame. I just stuck an old rigid seatpost into my old large frame, and all the way in, the measurement of post inside the frame comes out to be 205mm. So both the 420mm reverb, and 435mm KS Lev will be too long for your proper seat height, by 15, and 30mm respectively.

    I think you'll need to go with a 125mm travel post. unless I've totally fracked these calculations.

  49. #1099
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    11
    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1447708586.241673.jpg
    You may find this helpful.

  50. #1100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    868
    Quote Originally Posted by motox72 View Post
    I was speaking of the Reverb at Merlin Cycles on sale for $241. They only have the 420 length. Not looking at the LEV in this case. Sorry, wasn't clear.
    Not sure if that's going to fit, even at the 125mm travel. Art's Cyclery says the Reverb seat tube to saddle rail distance with the post jammed all the way into the frame is 190mm. Subtracting that 190 from the 420mm overall length leaves you with 230mm of post that needs to be in the frame, and as I measured, the Rip will only take 205.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •