Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Results 901 to 950 of 1231
  1. #901
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,502
    What is your inseam? I am 5'9'' with a 30" inseam (levis jeans) and with a 140mm fork there is little clearance. However, the overall fit is great once on the bike. I do run the seat somewhat low. I run a 60mm stem w/ 760mm bars
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

  2. #902
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    371
    5'10.5" (used to be 6' when I was younger, wtf!) and I chose a medium with a 50mm stem & full width 780 bar. It took a little (~2 weeks of riding) getting used to, but now I love the setup, and my other bikes feel off. Probably going to have to redo my cockpit on some other bikes.

  3. #903
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sml-2727's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,092
    Thats funny i used to be 6ft when i was younger, but now im 5'11". I have a 32 inseam. I need to test both, im sure the medium will be funner in the tight stuff but the large will give me more stability.
    2016 Scott Scale 710 Plus
    2016 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon Comp

  4. #904
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Thats funny i used to be 6ft when i was younger, but now im 5'11". I have a 32 inseam. I need to test both, im sure the medium will be funner in the tight stuff but the large will give me more stability.
    I'm 5' 9.5" and haven't begun to shrink yet (early40s). My paints are 32 inseam. My Rip 9 is a medium with a 55mm stem and 710mm bars. I run a 125mm KSLev dropper and have room to lower the seat post.

    The medium frame feels the right size. I don't know what "flick-able" feels like as I have never owned a short CS bike. I do know that the medium with a 140mm fork feels like a it can mo over almost anything. I've been on the steep, really steep, where you have no choice but to let it run. I've tried a couple of pump tracks. For my size, the medium has proven very stable on the down, fun on the jumps, and planted on the climbs.

  5. #905
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,502
    I have a creaking/popping sound from the headset. My rip has the niner branded headset. I am about to take it apart to grease it. Headset feels smooth otherwise. Other problems? I have never gotten a sound like this before on other bikes. How tight is the top star nut supposed to be when I reassemble? Not a major job but have always had the lbs work on my bikes.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

  6. #906
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    863
    I think mine makes the same sound. Not sure if it's that, or the seat rails, cause i know i get a similar sound if the seat post bolts aren't snugged up properly. Hard to isolate those noises sometimes.

    I've got to take mine in to the shop to have the steerer cut down, so when i do, I'm gonna have him disassemble, grease, and reassemble the whole headset, and see if that cures it.

    Top star nut should be just tight enough to remove play from the headset, but no tighter than that. It's hard with suspension forks, cause the test is usually to hold the front brake while rocking the bike back and forth to listen to any headset clunk, but the movement of the fork legs can also seem similar. Usually, if you have it in the stand, tighten the cap down, then grab the fork legs and pull back and forth to feel for play.

  7. #907
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,502
    I think I really do not like the stock Nobby Nics that were stock on my bike. It seems to make the bike handle like a tank compared to the Conti X king I took off.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

  8. #908
    Norđwegr
    Reputation: Vegard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,394
    On one of CCs sistersites I've seen the Rip RDO for $1599, but which size should I go for? I'm 5'7 with approx 30" and some change of inseam. Usually feel right at home with a 23" tt and a short stem.

    Guessing small?
    WTB:

  9. #909
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    752
    SMALL, SMALL, SMALL

    I had a Med. Jet 9 RDO (I know different bike). It was too big after buying the small RIP.

    I'm your height, but shorter inseam(29.5) and long torso. You have a pretty long inseam for someone that height so you may have a LOT of seatpost exposed and need a 150mm dropper. I have a 125mm dropper on it now because I couldn't get the seatpost height I wanted with the 100mm without maxing out minimum insert.

    Maybe I am being a little emphatic, but the difference between a small and medium for me was really distinct. Feels more like my 26" hardtail than the horse I felt I was riding on the medium. That said, plenty of people like on the cusp of Niner sizing who love the medium.

  10. #910
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sml-2727's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,092
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    On one of CCs sistersites I've seen the Rip RDO for $1599, but which size should I go for? I'm 5'7 with approx 30" and some change of inseam. Usually feel right at home with a 23" tt and a short stem.

    Guessing small?
    I got fitted on a medium and im 5'11" what site is it, i want to check it out, thanks
    2016 Scott Scale 710 Plus
    2016 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon Comp

  11. #911
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    178

    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)

    Competitive cyclist has a great bike fit tool on their site. I also used an app that I got on my iPhone, and it was right on the money.

    The latter needed conversion to cm/mm, but it was good no less.

    I have a large and I'm 6'1. From a reach perspective I fit an XL, but it makes for a tight stand over at that size for me.

    Don't use your pants inseam as a guide, either.

  12. #912
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    7
    Long time lurker...been looking to replace my 2001 stumpjumper HT for months and months. Did lots of research and (thanks to this thread and others and the decent deal from CC) finally pulled the trigger on a RIP 9 RDO.
    I'm so beyond stoked!

  13. #913
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,416
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_g View Post
    Long time lurker...been looking to replace my 2001 stumpjumper HT for months and months. Did lots of research and (thanks to this thread and others and the decent deal from CC) finally pulled the trigger on a RIP 9 RDO.
    I'm so beyond stoked!
    Congrats! Please post up pics and the specs when you get it..

  14. #914
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,416
    Hey fellow RIPpers.. I have protective film on my rub points around my frame but want to add some protection in other areas that have received some minor scratches. I don't plan on selling my bike ever so this isn't just for cosmetics, just want to prevent damage/wear (have some scratches from rocks getting between my rear disc and frame for example).

    I know some of you (Muzz) cover your entire bikes so was wondering if you could tell me exactly what you use?

    Would this work?

    XPEL Clear Universal Door Sill Guard (60" x 2.75") Paint Protection Film Kit:Amazon:Automotive

    Thanks!

  15. #915
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    Hey fellow RIPpers.. I have protective film on my rub points around my frame but want to add some protection in other areas that have received some minor scratches. I don't plan on selling my bike ever so this isn't just for cosmetics, just want to prevent damage/wear (have some scratches from rocks getting between my rear disc and frame for example).

    I know some of you (Muzz) cover your entire bikes so was wondering if you could tell me exactly what you use?

    Would this work?

    XPEL Clear Universal Door Sill Guard (60" x 2.75") Paint Protection Film Kit:Amazon:Automotive

    Thanks!
    This is what I used to cover most of my frame with: 3M POLYURETHANE PROTECTIVE TAPE 8672 from Aircraft Spruce

    You can also get one of my guards Rock protection for the Santa Cruz, Niner, Ripley Ibis frames - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

  16. #916
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    3M Stone guard ( the thickest of the 2 they make )

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    Hey fellow RIPpers.. I have protective film on my rub points around my frame but want to add some protection in other areas that have received some minor scratches. I don't plan on selling my bike ever so this isn't just for cosmetics, just want to prevent damage/wear (have some scratches from rocks getting between my rear disc and frame for example).

    I know some of you (Muzz) cover your entire bikes so was wondering if you could tell me exactly what you use?

    Would this work?

    XPEL Clear Universal Door Sill Guard (60" x 2.75") Paint Protection Film Kit:Amazon:Automotive

    Thanks!
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  17. #917
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,416
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    3M Stone guard ( the thickest of the 2 they make )
    Thanks guys!

    cytoe.. Check your orders cuz I just ordered one for my RIP RDO! I remember asking you about them a month or so ago and should have bought it then. Although there is a plate on there from Niner but it only covers the very bottom which has made me shy away from trying to climb up some rock ledges.

    Also just ordered some 3M Scotchgard Paint Protection Film.. 6"x60" of it for $20.
    Last edited by Gordon Shumway; 12-04-2014 at 02:02 PM.

  18. #918
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    7
    I've never had a nice enough bike to cover w/ protective film...Will it be much more of a bugger to put it on if the bike is assembled already? I imagine the cabling and such being there might make it much more difficult

  19. #919
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    752
    Put it on before you build if you can.

  20. #920
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,502
    I am note sure what the alloy comes with for protection but I did ask my dealer to cover the frame and cable rub spots with helicopter tape. They did get most all the spots but I did add a few more spots later. I guess I am OCD about that stuff
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

  21. #921
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,605
    I put my frameskins on my fully assembled bike. No big deal.

  22. #922
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,416
    I should be getting the 3M tape next week in the mail.. I will post up some before and after pics of the spots where I am seeing the need for it. I already have cable protectors in spots and some tape in cable rub spots but am going to redo some of that as well. The biggest area where I am seeing rock scratches is in the rear between the frame and tire, nothing too concerning though, I just want to protect it. I am anal about cleaning my bikes... partly because I enjoy listening to music with some beers out in the garage while tinkering with my bikes.

  23. #923
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    752
    I noticed that WrenchScience has the latest iteration of the RIP 9 RDO on sale for $1998. That's what I paid for my blue version only to see them drop to $1400. Seems the latest version is getting dropped as well, perhaps? Wonder if a new RIP 9 is the queue?

  24. #924
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    333
    Add me to the growing list of folks jumping at the RIP RDO deals out there. Got in on the CC 10% off w components + Active Junky cash back for a killer deal.

    On big question, I am buying a 140mm travel Pike for the front and see there is a 51mm offset option or one that mentions no offset. Which do I need and what does this offset do?

  25. #925
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    I like the 46mm off set pike ( more stable )

    the 51 off set makes the bike turn a little faster ( twitchier ) & wonder a little more on the climbs.

    I have Rip9's with both a 46 & 51 & you can't go to far wrong with either, But I do like the 46 more.

    Quote Originally Posted by backinmysaddle View Post
    Add me to the growing list of folks jumping at the RIP RDO deals out there. Got in on the CC 10% off w components + Active Junky cash back for a killer deal.

    On big question, I am buying a 140mm travel Pike for the front and see there is a 51mm offset option or one that mentions no offset. Which do I need and what does this offset do?
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  26. #926
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    333
    Thanks. The CC guy I spoke with suggested the 46 too, so I went with that and they agreed to put the crown and press in the headset for me. Should have all the goods for a Saturday build...

    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I like the 46mm off set pike ( more stable )

    the 51 off set makes the bike turn a little faster ( twitchier ) & wonder a little more on the climbs.

    I have Rip9's with both a 46 & 51 & you can't go to far wrong with either, But I do like the 46 more.

  27. #927
    Climbs = necessary evil
    Reputation: rogerfromco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    633
    Count me in the list of folks taking advantage of a custom build on a new RIP RDO. I'm going XX1 with a 130mm Pike with 46mm offset, Arch EX wheels, 180mm rotors, and 9020 XTR brakes, and I am going to transfer over my Thompson dropper and Ergon grips / saddle from the 2012 RIP9. I'll also set up my Roval Carbon wheels on it so I have a second set for different tires / conditions. I usually leave my existing Arch EX wheels set up for road rides when the weather is not cooperating and will probably do the same here.

  28. #928
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    Nice build, Big step up from the 2012 Rip9.

    Quote Originally Posted by rogerfromco View Post
    Count me in the list of folks taking advantage of a custom build on a new RIP RDO. I'm going XX1 with a 130mm Pike with 46mm offset, Arch EX wheels, 180mm rotors, and 9020 XTR brakes, and I am going to transfer over my Thompson dropper and Ergon grips / saddle from the 2012 RIP9. I'll also set up my Roval Carbon wheels on it so I have a second set for different tires / conditions. I usually leave my existing Arch EX wheels set up for road rides when the weather is not cooperating and will probably do the same here.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  29. #929
    Climbs = necessary evil
    Reputation: rogerfromco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    633

    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)

    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Nice build, Big step up from the 2012 Rip9.
    I'm hoping so. My wife just bought a 2014 JET 9 RDO demo at a killer price and is kicking my but all if a sudden. Btw - thanks for letting me pick your brain on the build a few months back. Those tips helped me make some key choices.


    Sent from my iPhone and I blame autocorrect for any spellin' errs!
    Last edited by rogerfromco; 12-09-2014 at 08:06 PM.

  30. #930
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    288

    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)

    Sounds like I may want to look into a new bike for my wife!😜

    Anyone know if there is a frame skin for rip 9 rdo?

  31. #931
    Climbs = necessary evil
    Reputation: rogerfromco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    633

    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)

    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    Sounds like I may want to look into a new bike for my wife!😜

    Anyone know if there is a frame skin for rip 9 rdo?
    Lol - just saw the autocorrect typo and laughed hard. Edited because that was just too kinky for MTBR!


    Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk (so I blame autocorrect for the spellin' errs)

  32. #932
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    288

    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)

    Autocorrect, it's lovely sometimes!

  33. #933
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    333
    I built up my new RIP 9 RDO over the weekend (ridden it twice and oh what a monster!) and have one minor gripe. The rectangular plug that is supposed to seal the downtube where the rear der cable enters is loose and slides out. Anyone have a solution for that or should I contact the merchant? It doesnt look like the plug is misformed, so my guess is that the rectangular slot in the downtube is ever so slightly too wide and so the plug doesnt click in. I guess I could wrap the plug with teflon tape until the fit was a bit tighter... but I am expecting perfection here ;-)

  34. #934
    Climbs = necessary evil
    Reputation: rogerfromco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    633

    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)

    This will be under the tree for me on Christmas Day!





    Still need to swap over my carbon rims and get the new bars on there.


    Sent from my iPhone and I blame autocorrect for any spellin' errs!

  35. #935
    Climbs = necessary evil
    Reputation: rogerfromco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    633

    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)

    Got the wheels, bars and grips swapped over but have some Syntace bars on backorder.




    Now I just need the snow to melt. Oh well off to the mtns to ski for NYE instead.



    Sent from my iPhone and I blame autocorrect for any spellin' errs!

  36. #936
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    333
    Here is a pic of my new RIP 9 RDO with a few additional tweaks, including a 28t front chainring and a new 185mm rear rotor for the XO trail brakes. If you have ever ridden Dunn Rd in Palm Springs, you know why I needed those;-)
    Now that I have spent a few days on the trails here, I can only say, this bike climbs as well as any hardtail I've owned and just crushes the downhills here. To anyone on the fence, this is a great bike.
    And for comparison sake, my brother in law was ripping it up on a KHS 7500 650b. It's an insane bike, there were a few places where the niner could cruise through with a bit more ease, but overall it was a pretty worthy duel.


    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-wp_20141230_10_41_35_pro.jpg

  37. #937
    gravity challenged
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    204

    my new big wheel

    Greetings Niner crew...

    Replacing/augmenting 2007 Foes XCT-5 with a new RIP9 RDO, been wanting a 29r for a while (after demoing several including the RIP) and finally caved with the blowout deals on the 2014 frames. Got the frame and a bunch of parts from Competitive, few more from Jenson, and wheels and fork off Fleabay. Have just under $4k invested. Details:

    2014 RIP9 RDO medium, blue (duh).
    Fox 34 150 Float (K)
    Reynolds R29AM wheels
    Geax Goma 2.25 (set up tubeless)
    Race Face Turbine cranks, bb, 26 single ring (clyde gearing)
    XX1 10-42 cassette
    X01 shifter, derailleur
    Thompson setback post, 410mm
    WTB Pure V saddle
    Niner RDO stem, 110mm
    3T carbon bar, 700mm
    XT brakes, dinner plate up front, salad plate in back
    Ergon grips
    20 yr old spare 747 pedals, beat to sh!t, er I mean "experienced"

    Think that's it. I'm 5'11" so in that awkward size range. Large frame is just too tall, little too close to the boys. Medium frame is a little short since I like to be stretched out on the bike so I had to go with long stem and offset post. Feels pretty good in initial setup/adjusting. Foes weighed mid-28 lb range on a scale. This one is noticeably lighter but haven't put it on a scale yet. Going riding tomorrow... Psyched! Here are a couple of pics. Still need to trim the rear brake line.

    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-20150116_222707.jpgThe RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-20150116_222628.jpg
    - Brian

  38. #938
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    Nice bike, Go get some miles on it.


    Quote Originally Posted by azoutside View Post
    Greetings Niner crew...

    Replacing/augmenting 2007 Foes XCT-5 with a new RIP9 RDO, been wanting a 29r for a while (after demoing several including the RIP) and finally caved with the blowout deals on the 2014 frames. Got the frame and a bunch of parts from Competitive, few more from Jenson, and wheels and fork off Fleabay. Have just under $4k invested. Details:

    2014 RIP9 RDO medium, blue (duh).
    Fox 34 150 Float (K)
    Reynolds R29AM wheels
    Geax Goma 2.25 (set up tubeless)
    Race Face Turbine cranks, bb, 26 single ring (clyde gearing)
    XX1 10-42 cassette
    X01 shifter, derailleur
    Thompson setback post, 410mm
    WTB Pure V saddle
    Niner RDO stem, 110mm
    3T carbon bar, 700mm
    XT brakes, dinner plate up front, salad plate in back
    Ergon grips
    20 yr old spare 747 pedals, beat to sh!t, er I mean "experienced"

    Think that's it. I'm 5'11" so in that awkward size range. Large frame is just too tall, little too close to the boys. Medium frame is a little short since I like to be stretched out on the bike so I had to go with long stem and offset post. Feels pretty good in initial setup/adjusting. Foes weighed mid-28 lb range on a scale. This one is noticeably lighter but haven't put it on a scale yet. Going riding tomorrow... Psyched! Here are a couple of pics. Still need to trim the rear brake line.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150116_222707.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	956157Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150116_222628.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	956158
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  39. #939
    gravity challenged
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Nice bike, Go get some miles on it.
    Thanks, after a few hours in the saddle today I have no complaints! Same suspension travel and very similar geometry to my old ride so immediately felt at home even with the bigger wheels, just that everything got smoother. Still felt great railing the fast twisty turny stuff. Niner really nailed it with this bike. I think we're gonna get along just fine for the long haul.
    - Brian

  40. #940
    Dave
    Reputation: liteandfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    891

    Some time has Passed and I'm absolutley loving the RIP9

    Well I have made some changes to the 2014 RIP9 that I got last summer. I put on a PIKE 140mm, and Answer 20/20 carbon bars, been through a few tires and like the current combo I'm running. Swapped to a 22tooth front small ring, 2x10 still. Tires are the Bonty XR-3 Team issue out back and up front is a Nevegal , again. Tried Conti's Mountain King , didn't like them at all.
    The bars have a 20 degree sweep back. Like an old "Mary" bar. Carbon helps deaden some of the bad vibes.
    The Pike is just incredibly smooth and strong and stiff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-new-bars.jpg  

    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-new-pike-dec-2014.jpg  

    I need to ride more and work less.

  41. #941
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,605
    Quote Originally Posted by liteandfast View Post
    Well I have made some changes to the 2014 RIP9 that I got last summer. I put on a PIKE 140mm, and Answer 20/20 carbon bars, been through a few tires and like the current combo I'm running. Swapped to a 22tooth front small ring, 2x10 still. Tires are the Bonty XR-3 Team issue out back and up front is a Nevegal , again. Tried Conti's Mountain King , didn't like them at all.
    The bars have a 20 degree sweep back. Like an old "Mary" bar. Carbon helps deaden some of the bad vibes.
    The Pike is just incredibly smooth and strong and stiff
    I'm interested in your thoughts on those Answer bars, control and comfort vs a regular sweep, etc. Also, even though there is a forward sweep to keep hand position more forward, it looks to me like you might need a bit longer stem to get the same hand position as with a normal bar?

  42. #942
    Dave
    Reputation: liteandfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    891
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I'm interested in your thoughts on those Answer bars, control and comfort vs a regular sweep, etc. Also, even though there is a forward sweep to keep hand position more forward, it looks to me like you might need a bit longer stem to get the same hand position as with a normal bar?
    I have not changed the stem. I like it where they are. The control feels better and the comfort is way up too. I love the feel of them.
    I need to ride more and work less.

  43. #943
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    4
    Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Rip 9 RDO myself after months of obsessively reading reviews and pouring over forums(Thanks for all the info Muzz!). I too am 5'11 and I have a roughly 33" inseam. I'm struggling trying to figure out frame size. Unfortunately there are only a couple Niner dealers in my area and none of them have RDO's in stock for me to throw a leg over. Have you put some more miles on yours yet? I like my bikes slightly on the smaller side so I'm leaning towards the medium, but it seems like, with the seat tube at that angle, too much seat post might put you way back over the rear wheel and off the pedals. Any thoughts?
    Add that to the fact that the crazy deals on the blue beauties are disappearing quick, with only size large left on all the sights I've checked. So...medium RIP 9 Carbon or Large RDO? Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give!



    Quote Originally Posted by azoutside View Post
    Greetings Niner crew...

    Replacing/augmenting 2007 Foes XCT-5 with a new RIP9 RDO, been wanting a 29r for a while (after demoing several including the RIP) and finally caved with the blowout deals on the 2014 frames. Got the frame and a bunch of parts from Competitive, few more from Jenson, and wheels and fork off Fleabay. Have just under $4k invested. Details:

    2014 RIP9 RDO medium, blue (duh).
    Fox 34 150 Float (K)
    Reynolds R29AM wheels
    Geax Goma 2.25 (set up tubeless)
    Race Face Turbine cranks, bb, 26 single ring (clyde gearing)
    XX1 10-42 cassette
    X01 shifter, derailleur
    Thompson setback post, 410mm
    WTB Pure V saddle
    Niner RDO stem, 110mm
    3T carbon bar, 700mm
    XT brakes, dinner plate up front, salad plate in back
    Ergon grips
    20 yr old spare 747 pedals, beat to sh!t, er I mean "experienced"

    Think that's it. I'm 5'11" so in that awkward size range. Large frame is just too tall, little too close to the boys. Medium frame is a little short since I like to be stretched out on the bike so I had to go with long stem and offset post. Feels pretty good in initial setup/adjusting. Foes weighed mid-28 lb range on a scale. This one is noticeably lighter but haven't put it on a scale yet. Going riding tomorrow... Psyched! Here are a couple of pics. Still need to trim the rear brake line.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150116_222707.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	956157Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150116_222628.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	956158

  44. #944
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,416
    Quote Originally Posted by alflorez1 View Post
    Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Rip 9 RDO myself after months of obsessively reading reviews and pouring over forums(Thanks for all the info Muzz!). I too am 5'11 and I have a roughly 33" inseam. I'm struggling trying to figure out frame size. Unfortunately there are only a couple Niner dealers in my area and none of them have RDO's in stock for me to throw a leg over. Have you put some more miles on yours yet? I like my bikes slightly on the smaller side so I'm leaning towards the medium, but it seems like, with the seat tube at that angle, too much seat post might put you way back over the rear wheel and off the pedals. Any thoughts?
    Add that to the fact that the crazy deals on the blue beauties are disappearing quick, with only size large left on all the sights I've checked. So...medium RIP 9 Carbon or Large RDO? Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give!
    I am 5'11.99" Ok, I'm just under 6' and went with the medium RDO RIP. I have had it for over a year now and am happy with my choice to go with the medium. My rides usually involve a lot of climbing before earning the DH and my RIP is amazing at both jobs. What sold me on the medium over the large, after demoing both, was the snappier feel of the medium beneath me.

  45. #945
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    I have done a heap of miles on mine now.

    I like the Large but like my seat height at 800mm.


    Quote Originally Posted by alflorez1 View Post
    Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Rip 9 RDO myself after months of obsessively reading reviews and pouring over forums(Thanks for all the info Muzz!). I too am 5'11 and I have a roughly 33" inseam. I'm struggling trying to figure out frame size. Unfortunately there are only a couple Niner dealers in my area and none of them have RDO's in stock for me to throw a leg over. Have you put some more miles on yours yet? I like my bikes slightly on the smaller side so I'm leaning towards the medium, but it seems like, with the seat tube at that angle, too much seat post might put you way back over the rear wheel and off the pedals. Any thoughts?
    Add that to the fact that the crazy deals on the blue beauties are disappearing quick, with only size large left on all the sights I've checked. So...medium RIP 9 Carbon or Large RDO? Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give!
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  46. #946
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by alflorez1 View Post
    Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Rip 9 RDO myself after months of obsessively reading reviews and pouring over forums(Thanks for all the info Muzz!). I too am 5'11 and I have a roughly 33" inseam. I'm struggling trying to figure out frame size. Unfortunately there are only a couple Niner dealers in my area and none of them have RDO's in stock for me to throw a leg over. Have you put some more miles on yours yet? I like my bikes slightly on the smaller side so I'm leaning towards the medium, but it seems like, with the seat tube at that angle, too much seat post might put you way back over the rear wheel and off the pedals. Any thoughts?
    Add that to the fact that the crazy deals on the blue beauties are disappearing quick, with only size large left on all the sights I've checked. So...medium RIP 9 Carbon or Large RDO? Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give!
    I would guess size Large if you have relatively long arms/torso and narrow shoulders, medium if not. The "reach" dimension (the horizontal distance from the BB center to the head tube) on these bikes is on the short side compared to other bikes with a similar length virtual top tube, by about 10-15mm. This could potentially make the bike feel cramped when out of the saddle.

    The other variable is the terrain you ride. If it is more open, higher speeds, and lots of long gnarly downhills, then I would size up. If it's rolling hills and tight turns through the trees, then consider sizing down.

  47. #947
    Climbs = necessary evil
    Reputation: rogerfromco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    633

    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)

    I would think medium as well. I'm 6'2" with 32" inseam and I had to move my seat forward and change from a 50 to 70mm stem (as compared to my 2012 alloy RIP9) to keep the weight on the front end for the long climbs.


    Sent from my iPad (so I blame autocorrect for the spellin' errs)

  48. #948
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    4
    Thanks for the advice everybody, I really appreciate all the input. I've been leaning toward the medium for the reasons Gordon and OhioPT stated, with most of my riding being in tight trees and rolling terrain.
    Muzz, I checked my seat hight on my current bike and I've got it at about 740, so I would end up having roughly the same amount of seatpost exposed as you do on the large.
    Anyways, thanks again for the input. These forums have been immensely helpful in my quest for a new ride. I'll put up some pics when she's all put together!

  49. #949
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    Yes the 740mm seat height would have me think that the Med is the size for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by alflorez1 View Post
    Thanks for the advice everybody, I really appreciate all the input. I've been leaning toward the medium for the reasons Gordon and OhioPT stated, with most of my riding being in tight trees and rolling terrain.
    Muzz, I checked my seat hight on my current bike and I've got it at about 740, so I would end up having roughly the same amount of seatpost exposed as you do on the large.
    Anyways, thanks again for the input. These forums have been immensely helpful in my quest for a new ride. I'll put up some pics when she's all put together!
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  50. #950
    gravity challenged
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by alflorez1 View Post
    Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Rip 9 RDO myself after months of obsessively reading reviews and pouring over forums(Thanks for all the info Muzz!). I too am 5'11 and I have a roughly 33" inseam. I'm struggling trying to figure out frame size. Unfortunately there are only a couple Niner dealers in my area and none of them have RDO's in stock for me to throw a leg over. Have you put some more miles on yours yet? I like my bikes slightly on the smaller side so I'm leaning towards the medium, but it seems like, with the seat tube at that angle, too much seat post might put you way back over the rear wheel and off the pedals. Any thoughts?
    Add that to the fact that the crazy deals on the blue beauties are disappearing quick, with only size large left on all the sights I've checked. So...medium RIP 9 Carbon or Large RDO? Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give!
    I have put a bunch of miles on the bike over the past couple of weeks, everything from fast flowy goodness to gut wrenching techie climbs. I am very happy with the way the bike fits me but do notice that the front end gets very light and sketchy when going up something really steep, so I've adjusted my style a little to shift forward a bit to compensate. I may try a straight seatpost at some point to see if I like it better, or just ride it! It's a fantastic bike, can't go wrong.
    - Brian

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •