Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
Results 901 to 1,000 of 1270
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    What is your inseam? I am 5'9'' with a 30" inseam (levis jeans) and with a 140mm fork there is little clearance. However, the overall fit is great once on the bike. I do run the seat somewhat low. I run a 60mm stem w/ 760mm bars
    2017 Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    5'10.5" (used to be 6' when I was younger, wtf!) and I chose a medium with a 50mm stem & full width 780 bar. It took a little (~2 weeks of riding) getting used to, but now I love the setup, and my other bikes feel off. Probably going to have to redo my cockpit on some other bikes.

mtbr member
    Thats funny i used to be 6ft when i was younger, but now im 5'11". I have a 32 inseam. I need to test both, im sure the medium will be funner in the tight stuff but the large will give me more stability.
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Thats funny i used to be 6ft when i was younger, but now im 5'11". I have a 32 inseam. I need to test both, im sure the medium will be funner in the tight stuff but the large will give me more stability.
    I'm 5' 9.5" and haven't begun to shrink yet (early40s). My paints are 32 inseam. My Rip 9 is a medium with a 55mm stem and 710mm bars. I run a 125mm KSLev dropper and have room to lower the seat post.

The medium frame feels the right size. I don't know what "flick-able" feels like as I have never owned a short CS bike. I do know that the medium with a 140mm fork feels like a it can mo over almost anything. I've been on the steep, really steep, where you have no choice but to let it run. I've tried a couple of pump tracks. For my size, the medium has proven very stable on the down, fun on the jumps, and planted on the climbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have a creaking/popping sound from the headset. My rip has the niner branded headset. I am about to take it apart to grease it. Headset feels smooth otherwise. Other problems? I have never gotten a sound like this before on other bikes. How tight is the top star nut supposed to be when I reassemble? Not a major job but have always had the lbs work on my bikes.
    2017 Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I think mine makes the same sound. Not sure if it's that, or the seat rails, cause i know i get a similar sound if the seat post bolts aren't snugged up properly. Hard to isolate those noises sometimes.

I've got to take mine in to the shop to have the steerer cut down, so when i do, I'm gonna have him disassemble, grease, and reassemble the whole headset, and see if that cures it.

Top star nut should be just tight enough to remove play from the headset, but no tighter than that. It's hard with suspension forks, cause the test is usually to hold the front brake while rocking the bike back and forth to listen to any headset clunk, but the movement of the fork legs can also seem similar. Usually, if you have it in the stand, tighten the cap down, then grab the fork legs and pull back and forth to feel for play.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I think I really do not like the stock Nobby Nics that were stock on my bike. It seems to make the bike handle like a tank compared to the Conti X king I took off.
    2017 Fuel EX 9

Norđwegr
    On one of CCs sistersites I've seen the Rip RDO for $1599, but which size should I go for? I'm 5'7 with approx 30" and some change of inseam. Usually feel right at home with a 23" tt and a short stem.

Guessing small?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    SMALL, SMALL, SMALL

I had a Med. Jet 9 RDO (I know different bike). It was too big after buying the small RIP.

I'm your height, but shorter inseam(29.5) and long torso. You have a pretty long inseam for someone that height so you may have a LOT of seatpost exposed and need a 150mm dropper. I have a 125mm dropper on it now because I couldn't get the seatpost height I wanted with the 100mm without maxing out minimum insert.

Maybe I am being a little emphatic, but the difference between a small and medium for me was really distinct. Feels more like my 26" hardtail than the horse I felt I was riding on the medium. That said, plenty of people like on the cusp of Niner sizing who love the medium.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    On one of CCs sistersites I've seen the Rip RDO for $1599, but which size should I go for? I'm 5'7 with approx 30" and some change of inseam. Usually feel right at home with a 23" tt and a short stem.

Guessing small?
    I got fitted on a medium and im 5'11" what site is it, i want to check it out, thanks
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)

Competitive cyclist has a great bike fit tool on their site. I also used an app that I got on my iPhone, and it was right on the money.

The latter needed conversion to cm/mm, but it was good no less.

I have a large and I'm 6'1. From a reach perspective I fit an XL, but it makes for a tight stand over at that size for me.

Don't use your pants inseam as a guide, either.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Long time lurker...been looking to replace my 2001 stumpjumper HT for months and months. Did lots of research and (thanks to this thread and others and the decent deal from CC) finally pulled the trigger on a RIP 9 RDO.
    I'm so beyond stoked!

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_g View Post
    Long time lurker...been looking to replace my 2001 stumpjumper HT for months and months. Did lots of research and (thanks to this thread and others and the decent deal from CC) finally pulled the trigger on a RIP 9 RDO.
    I'm so beyond stoked!
    Congrats! Please post up pics and the specs when you get it..

banned
    Sep 2012
    Hey fellow RIPpers.. I have protective film on my rub points around my frame but want to add some protection in other areas that have received some minor scratches. I don't plan on selling my bike ever so this isn't just for cosmetics, just want to prevent damage/wear (have some scratches from rocks getting between my rear disc and frame for example).

I know some of you (Muzz) cover your entire bikes so was wondering if you could tell me exactly what you use?

Would this work?

XPEL Clear Universal Door Sill Guard (60" x 2.75") Paint Protection Film Kit:Amazon:Automotive

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    Hey fellow RIPpers.. I have protective film on my rub points around my frame but want to add some protection in other areas that have received some minor scratches. I don't plan on selling my bike ever so this isn't just for cosmetics, just want to prevent damage/wear (have some scratches from rocks getting between my rear disc and frame for example).

I know some of you (Muzz) cover your entire bikes so was wondering if you could tell me exactly what you use?

Would this work?

XPEL Clear Universal Door Sill Guard (60" x 2.75") Paint Protection Film Kit:Amazon:Automotive

Thanks!
    This is what I used to cover most of my frame with: 3M POLYURETHANE PROTECTIVE TAPE 8672 from Aircraft Spruce

You can also get one of my guards Rock protection for the Santa Cruz, Niner, Ripley Ibis frames - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

Carbon & Ti rule
    3M Stone guard ( the thickest of the 2 they make )

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post

Would this work?

Thanks!
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    3M Stone guard ( the thickest of the 2 they make )
    Thanks guys!

cytoe.. Check your orders cuz I just ordered one for my RIP RDO! I remember asking you about them a month or so ago and should have bought it then. Although there is a plate on there from Niner but it only covers the very bottom which has made me shy away from trying to climb up some rock ledges.

Also just ordered some 3M Scotchgard Paint Protection Film.. 6"x60" of it for $20.
    Last edited by Gordon Shumway; 12-04-2014 at 03:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I've never had a nice enough bike to cover w/ protective film...Will it be much more of a bugger to put it on if the bike is assembled already? I imagine the cabling and such being there might make it much more difficult

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Put it on before you build if you can.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I am note sure what the alloy comes with for protection but I did ask my dealer to cover the frame and cable rub spots with helicopter tape. They did get most all the spots but I did add a few more spots later. I guess I am OCD about that stuff
    2017 Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    I put my frameskins on my fully assembled bike. No big deal.

banned
    Sep 2012
    I should be getting the 3M tape next week in the mail.. I will post up some before and after pics of the spots where I am seeing the need for it. I already have cable protectors in spots and some tape in cable rub spots but am going to redo some of that as well. The biggest area where I am seeing rock scratches is in the rear between the frame and tire, nothing too concerning though, I just want to protect it. I am anal about cleaning my bikes... partly because I enjoy listening to music with some beers out in the garage while tinkering with my bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I noticed that WrenchScience has the latest iteration of the RIP 9 RDO on sale for $1998. That's what I paid for my blue version only to see them drop to $1400. Seems the latest version is getting dropped as well, perhaps? Wonder if a new RIP 9 is the queue?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Add me to the growing list of folks jumping at the RIP RDO deals out there. Got in on the CC 10% off w components + Active Junky cash back for a killer deal.

On big question, I am buying a 140mm travel Pike for the front and see there is a 51mm offset option or one that mentions no offset. Which do I need and what does this offset do?

Carbon & Ti rule
    I like the 46mm off set pike ( more stable )

the 51 off set makes the bike turn a little faster ( twitchier ) & wonder a little more on the climbs.

I have Rip9's with both a 46 & 51 & you can't go to far wrong with either, But I do like the 46 more.

Quote Originally Posted by backinmysaddle View Post
    Add me to the growing list of folks jumping at the RIP RDO deals out there. Got in on the CC 10% off w components + Active Junky cash back for a killer deal.

On big question, I am buying a 140mm travel Pike for the front and see there is a 51mm offset option or one that mentions no offset. Which do I need and what does this offset do?
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks. The CC guy I spoke with suggested the 46 too, so I went with that and they agreed to put the crown and press in the headset for me. Should have all the goods for a Saturday build...

I like the 46mm off set pike ( more stable )

the 51 off set makes the bike turn a little faster ( twitchier ) & wonder a little more on the climbs.

I have Rip9's with both a 46 & 51 & you can't go to far wrong with either, But I do like the 46 more.

Climbs = necessary evil
    Count me in the list of folks taking advantage of a custom build on a new RIP RDO. I'm going XX1 with a 130mm Pike with 46mm offset, Arch EX wheels, 180mm rotors, and 9020 XTR brakes, and I am going to transfer over my Thompson dropper and Ergon grips / saddle from the 2012 RIP9. I'll also set up my Roval Carbon wheels on it so I have a second set for different tires / conditions. I usually leave my existing Arch EX wheels set up for road rides when the weather is not cooperating and will probably do the same here.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Nice build, Big step up from the 2012 Rip9.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerfromco View Post
    Count me in the list of folks taking advantage of a custom build on a new RIP RDO. I'm going XX1 with a 130mm Pike with 46mm offset, Arch EX wheels, 180mm rotors, and 9020 XTR brakes, and I am going to transfer over my Thompson dropper and Ergon grips / saddle from the 2012 RIP9. I'll also set up my Roval Carbon wheels on it so I have a second set for different tires / conditions. I usually leave my existing Arch EX wheels set up for road rides when the weather is not cooperating and will probably do the same here.

Climbs = necessary evil

Nice build, Big step up from the 2012 Rip9.
    I'm hoping so. My wife just bought a 2014 JET 9 RDO demo at a killer price and is kicking my but all if a sudden. Btw - thanks for letting me pick your brain on the build a few months back. Those tips helped me make some key choices.

Sent from my iPhone and I blame autocorrect for any spellin' errs!
    Last edited by rogerfromco; 12-09-2014 at 09:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Sounds like I may want to look into a new bike for my wife!😜

Anyone know if there is a frame skin for rip 9 rdo?

Climbs = necessary evil

Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    Sounds like I may want to look into a new bike for my wife!😜

Anyone know if there is a frame skin for rip 9 rdo?
    Lol - just saw the autocorrect typo and laughed hard. Edited because that was just too kinky for MTBR!

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk (so I blame autocorrect for the spellin' errs)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Autocorrect, it's lovely sometimes!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I built up my new RIP 9 RDO over the weekend (ridden it twice and oh what a monster!) and have one minor gripe. The rectangular plug that is supposed to seal the downtube where the rear der cable enters is loose and slides out. Anyone have a solution for that or should I contact the merchant? It doesnt look like the plug is misformed, so my guess is that the rectangular slot in the downtube is ever so slightly too wide and so the plug doesnt click in. I guess I could wrap the plug with teflon tape until the fit was a bit tighter... but I am expecting perfection here ;-)

Climbs = necessary evil

This will be under the tree for me on Christmas Day!

Still need to swap over my carbon rims and get the new bars on there.

Climbs = necessary evil

Got the wheels, bars and grips swapped over but have some Syntace bars on backorder.

Now I just need the snow to melt. Oh well off to the mtns to ski for NYE instead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Here is a pic of my new RIP 9 RDO with a few additional tweaks, including a 28t front chainring and a new 185mm rear rotor for the XO trail brakes. If you have ever ridden Dunn Rd in Palm Springs, you know why I needed those;-)
    Now that I have spent a few days on the trails here, I can only say, this bike climbs as well as any hardtail I've owned and just crushes the downhills here. To anyone on the fence, this is a great bike.
    And for comparison sake, my brother in law was ripping it up on a KHS 7500 650b. It's an insane bike, there were a few places where the niner could cruise through with a bit more ease, but overall it was a pretty worthy duel.

The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-wp_20141230_10_41_35_pro.jpg

gravity challenged
    May 2009

my new big wheel

Greetings Niner crew...

Replacing/augmenting 2007 Foes XCT-5 with a new RIP9 RDO, been wanting a 29r for a while (after demoing several including the RIP) and finally caved with the blowout deals on the 2014 frames. Got the frame and a bunch of parts from Competitive, few more from Jenson, and wheels and fork off Fleabay. Have just under $4k invested. Details:

2014 RIP9 RDO medium, blue (duh).
    Fox 34 150 Float (K)
    Reynolds R29AM wheels
    Geax Goma 2.25 (set up tubeless)
    Race Face Turbine cranks, bb, 26 single ring (clyde gearing)
    XX1 10-42 cassette
    X01 shifter, derailleur
    Thompson setback post, 410mm
    WTB Pure V saddle
    Niner RDO stem, 110mm
    3T carbon bar, 700mm
    XT brakes, dinner plate up front, salad plate in back
    Ergon grips
    20 yr old spare 747 pedals, beat to sh!t, er I mean "experienced"

Think that's it. I'm 5'11" so in that awkward size range. Large frame is just too tall, little too close to the boys. Medium frame is a little short since I like to be stretched out on the bike so I had to go with long stem and offset post. Feels pretty good in initial setup/adjusting. Foes weighed mid-28 lb range on a scale. This one is noticeably lighter but haven't put it on a scale yet. Going riding tomorrow... Psyched! Here are a couple of pics. Still need to trim the rear brake line.

The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-20150116_222707.jpgThe RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-20150116_222628.jpg
    - Brian

Carbon & Ti rule
    Nice bike, Go get some miles on it.

Quote Originally Posted by azoutside View Post
    Greetings Niner crew...

Replacing/augmenting 2007 Foes XCT-5 with a new RIP9 RDO, been wanting a 29r for a while (after demoing several including the RIP) and finally caved with the blowout deals on the 2014 frames. Got the frame and a bunch of parts from Competitive, few more from Jenson, and wheels and fork off Fleabay. Have just under $4k invested. Details:

Fox 34 150 Float (K)
    Reynolds R29AM wheels
    XX1 10-42 cassette
    X01 shifter, derailleur
    WTB Pure V saddle
    Niner RDO stem, 110mm
    3T carbon bar, 700mm
    Ergon grips

Think that's it. I'm 5'11" so in that awkward size range. Large frame is just too tall, little too close to the boys. Medium frame is a little short since I like to be stretched out on the bike so I had to go with long stem and offset post. Feels pretty good in initial setup/adjusting. Foes weighed mid-28 lb range on a scale. This one is noticeably lighter but haven't put it on a scale yet. Going riding tomorrow... Psyched! Here are a couple of pics. Still need to trim the rear brake line.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150116_222707.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	956157Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150116_222628.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	956158

gravity challenged
    May 2009
    Nice bike, Go get some miles on it.
    Thanks, after a few hours in the saddle today I have no complaints! Same suspension travel and very similar geometry to my old ride so immediately felt at home even with the bigger wheels, just that everything got smoother. Still felt great railing the fast twisty turny stuff. Niner really nailed it with this bike. I think we're gonna get along just fine for the long haul.
    - Brian

Dave

Some time has Passed and I'm absolutley loving the RIP9

Well I have made some changes to the 2014 RIP9 that I got last summer. I put on a PIKE 140mm, and Answer 20/20 carbon bars, been through a few tires and like the current combo I'm running. Swapped to a 22tooth front small ring, 2x10 still. Tires are the Bonty XR-3 Team issue out back and up front is a Nevegal , again. Tried Conti's Mountain King , didn't like them at all.
    The bars have a 20 degree sweep back. Like an old "Mary" bar. Carbon helps deaden some of the bad vibes.
    The Pike is just incredibly smooth and strong and stiff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-new-bars.jpg  

The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-new-pike-dec-2014.jpg  

I need to ride more and work less.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by liteandfast View Post
    Well I have made some changes to the 2014 RIP9 that I got last summer. I put on a PIKE 140mm, and Answer 20/20 carbon bars, been through a few tires and like the current combo I'm running. Swapped to a 22tooth front small ring, 2x10 still. Tires are the Bonty XR-3 Team issue out back and up front is a Nevegal , again. Tried Conti's Mountain King , didn't like them at all.
    The bars have a 20 degree sweep back. Like an old "Mary" bar. Carbon helps deaden some of the bad vibes.
    The Pike is just incredibly smooth and strong and stiff
    I'm interested in your thoughts on those Answer bars, control and comfort vs a regular sweep, etc. Also, even though there is a forward sweep to keep hand position more forward, it looks to me like you might need a bit longer stem to get the same hand position as with a normal bar?

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I'm interested in your thoughts on those Answer bars, control and comfort vs a regular sweep, etc. Also, even though there is a forward sweep to keep hand position more forward, it looks to me like you might need a bit longer stem to get the same hand position as with a normal bar?
    I have not changed the stem. I like it where they are. The control feels better and the comfort is way up too. I love the feel of them.
    I need to ride more and work less.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Rip 9 RDO myself after months of obsessively reading reviews and pouring over forums(Thanks for all the info Muzz!). I too am 5'11 and I have a roughly 33" inseam. I'm struggling trying to figure out frame size. Unfortunately there are only a couple Niner dealers in my area and none of them have RDO's in stock for me to throw a leg over. Have you put some more miles on yours yet? I like my bikes slightly on the smaller side so I'm leaning towards the medium, but it seems like, with the seat tube at that angle, too much seat post might put you way back over the rear wheel and off the pedals. Any thoughts?
    Add that to the fact that the crazy deals on the blue beauties are disappearing quick, with only size large left on all the sights I've checked. So...medium RIP 9 Carbon or Large RDO? Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give!

Greetings Niner crew...

Fox 34 150 Float (K)
    Reynolds R29AM wheels
    XX1 10-42 cassette
    X01 shifter, derailleur
    WTB Pure V saddle
    Niner RDO stem, 110mm
    3T carbon bar, 700mm
    Ergon grips

Name:	20150116_222707.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	956157Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150116_222628.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	956158

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by alflorez1 View Post
    Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Rip 9 RDO myself after months of obsessively reading reviews and pouring over forums(Thanks for all the info Muzz!). I too am 5'11 and I have a roughly 33" inseam. I'm struggling trying to figure out frame size. Unfortunately there are only a couple Niner dealers in my area and none of them have RDO's in stock for me to throw a leg over. Have you put some more miles on yours yet? I like my bikes slightly on the smaller side so I'm leaning towards the medium, but it seems like, with the seat tube at that angle, too much seat post might put you way back over the rear wheel and off the pedals. Any thoughts?
    Add that to the fact that the crazy deals on the blue beauties are disappearing quick, with only size large left on all the sights I've checked. So...medium RIP 9 Carbon or Large RDO? Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give!
    I am 5'11.99" Ok, I'm just under 6' and went with the medium RDO RIP. I have had it for over a year now and am happy with my choice to go with the medium. My rides usually involve a lot of climbing before earning the DH and my RIP is amazing at both jobs. What sold me on the medium over the large, after demoing both, was the snappier feel of the medium beneath me.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have done a heap of miles on mine now.

I like the Large but like my seat height at 800mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I would guess size Large if you have relatively long arms/torso and narrow shoulders, medium if not. The "reach" dimension (the horizontal distance from the BB center to the head tube) on these bikes is on the short side compared to other bikes with a similar length virtual top tube, by about 10-15mm. This could potentially make the bike feel cramped when out of the saddle.

The other variable is the terrain you ride. If it is more open, higher speeds, and lots of long gnarly downhills, then I would size up. If it's rolling hills and tight turns through the trees, then consider sizing down.

Climbs = necessary evil

I would think medium as well. I'm 6'2" with 32" inseam and I had to move my seat forward and change from a 50 to 70mm stem (as compared to my 2012 alloy RIP9) to keep the weight on the front end for the long climbs.

Sent from my iPad (so I blame autocorrect for the spellin' errs)

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks for the advice everybody, I really appreciate all the input. I've been leaning toward the medium for the reasons Gordon and OhioPT stated, with most of my riding being in tight trees and rolling terrain.
    Muzz, I checked my seat hight on my current bike and I've got it at about 740, so I would end up having roughly the same amount of seatpost exposed as you do on the large.
    Anyways, thanks again for the input. These forums have been immensely helpful in my quest for a new ride. I'll put up some pics when she's all put together!

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yes the 740mm seat height would have me think that the Med is the size for you.

Thanks for the advice everybody, I really appreciate all the input. I've been leaning toward the medium for the reasons Gordon and OhioPT stated, with most of my riding being in tight trees and rolling terrain.
    Muzz, I checked my seat hight on my current bike and I've got it at about 740, so I would end up having roughly the same amount of seatpost exposed as you do on the large.
    Anyways, thanks again for the input. These forums have been immensely helpful in my quest for a new ride. I'll put up some pics when she's all put together!

gravity challenged
    May 2009
    I have put a bunch of miles on the bike over the past couple of weeks, everything from fast flowy goodness to gut wrenching techie climbs. I am very happy with the way the bike fits me but do notice that the front end gets very light and sketchy when going up something really steep, so I've adjusted my style a little to shift forward a bit to compensate. I may try a straight seatpost at some point to see if I like it better, or just ride it! It's a fantastic bike, can't go wrong.
    - Brian

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm a hair over 5'11" so right on that M/L line too (and I went L). What I have found after a couple of months of riding is that on the large I just stay seated in the same position a lot more than I have ever done on other bikes, very little need to slide back and no sliding forward uphill. I think the front-back length and weight distribution of the large is perfect for my size. I've said before that with my Reverb all the way down, I am not as flat footed on the ground as I would like, so it is a bit too tall for me. But given the tradeoffs, I'd rather have the front-back length and weight balance, I'm glad I went with the L.

I have put a bunch of miles on the bike over the past couple of weeks, everything from fast flowy goodness to gut wrenching techie climbs. I am very happy with the way the bike fits me but do notice that the front end gets very light and sketchy when going up something really steep, so I've adjusted my style a little to shift forward a bit to compensate. I may try a straight seatpost at some point to see if I like it better, or just ride it! It's a fantastic bike, can't go wrong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My new Rip 9 RDO

The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-img_1555.jpg
    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-img_1557.jpg
    Vassago Verhauen SS
    Niner RIP 9 RDO
    2014 Tarmac Elite

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thinking about swapping out the stock Stans Flow rims for some American Classic Wide Lightnings. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Time View Post
    Thinking about swapping out the stock Stans Flow rims for some American Classic Wide Lightnings. Any thoughts?
    I;m wondering the same thing. I'm comparing them to the chinese carbon wheels, and for whatever reason i just don't want those things... The Wide Lightnings look pretty legit.

mtbr member
    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-20150330_191959.jpgThe RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-20150330_192010.jpgThe RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-20150330_192023.jpgThe RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-20150330_192102.jpg

Me: 6'3"

2015 Size XL
    XT 10 speed w/ OneUp 42 cog and 30 ring
    XT brakes
    Pike 120
    Easton Haven wheels
    80mm stem w/ 800mm bar
    KS Lev 100mm

Waiting on a Works Components -1 headset.

XL is definitely not too big for 6'3". Wouldn't want to go any smaller...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    That white really does look nice. Wish they offered the green/black combo on the RDO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Nice titus...did you weigh yours?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Nice titus...did you weigh yours?
    28.5 w/ Thomson post. Havent weighed it with the Lev. Plenty of stuff that isnt the lightest and I run a bunch of Stans in the tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Nice

I'm thinking mine comes in around 28 with dropper

Built mine up a week or so ago, but too much IPA and I ended up with a misscut steer and poorly sealing tires. Oops...I'll get one up next week.

• Rip 9 RDO (Small)
    • Pike 140
    • XT 1x10 everything except SRAM X9 Crank & 30t Wolf Tooth DM Ring, RAD Cage & ONeUp 42T
    • Thomson 70mm stem(May go to 80mm as it feels cramped), 730mm Carbon Bar
    • KS Lev 125mm post
    • Fizik Gobi
    • I9/WTB Kom i23 wheels
    • Spesh Puratory 2.3/Ground Control 2.3

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Is there any visible way to ensure that my black frame has the new carbon compaction tech? The white it's obvious but the black paint scheme stayed the same. Is there any year info anywhere on the bike? This is the inside of my frame:

The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-img_6922.jpg

Looks pretty well compacted I guess, I imagine I got the new one but just wanted to make sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Is there any visible way to ensure that my black frame has the new carbon compaction tech? The white it's obvious but the black paint scheme stayed the same. Is there any year info anywhere on the bike? This is the inside of my frame:

Name:	IMG_6922.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	979237

Looks pretty well compacted I guess, I imagine I got the new one but just wanted to make sure.
    You can tell by the serial number label; the new frames have the new style label with niner logo, the barcode, and the serial number w/ black background.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Well then, my picture above is what the new carbon compaction looks like. It'd be interesting to see a comparison to the previous gen RDO.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Got the custom rock protection plate from you cytoe. Saw it and was perplexed by the asymmetrical dimple in it and then realized that it's actually in the perfect position due to the pivot being shifted away from the drivetrain side. Fantastic fit and finish, well thought out pad positions, the part that wraps under is the exact right curve, and it's just overall a great product, thanks! Highly recommended!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I finally got around to doing an accurate weighing of my blue 2014 RIP 9 RDO size L. Pike, X01, Rockshox seat dropper and Stans Arch w lots of extra sealant... not by any means a superlight build, but weighs in a hair over 28 lbs.

The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-pedal-dammit.jpgThe RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-niner-rip-9-rdo.jpg

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Holy long cables there backinmysaddle. Cut those down and you'll be down to 27#s :-)
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Finally posting pics of my '14 RIP9 ROD. Thanks for all the input on this and other threads. I leaned a lot and poured that into my build. I'm coming from an '08 Titus Racer X 29. I loved the Titus but it's amazing how far 29er suspension has come since then.

I purchased from Backcountry via Active Junkie. I swapped to carbon bars and 28T ring before shipping. After the bike arrived I returned a bunch of parts as well. It was great to return items for a refund rather than having to sell on my own. The Active Junkie rebate paid for my Light Bicycle 35mm carbon wheels!

Beyond stock I am running the following:
    - Light Bicycle 35mm carbon rims, Hope front, King rear, DT Revolution, brass nipples
    - Thomson post
    - WTB Silverado saddle
    - Syntace F110 60mm stem
    - 3TT Exsero Team carbon bar
    - Sram XO GripShift
    - RedMonkey Karv 6.5mm grips
    - Bar Fly 3.0 computer mount

I'm loving this bike. It took a few rides to dial in the suspension but now feels pretty darn good. The rear still feels a little soft on paved/fireroad climbs coming from the Titus but it's amazing climbing technical singletrack and flies down everything I've ridden thus far. The carbon rims have made a big improvement too.

From yesterday's 23 mile 6k day:

I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yeah, I know. I dread snipping them, what a PITA it is to bleed these SRAM brakes, and the rockshock reverb isnt a piece of cake either. Sending it in to the shop to have them do it this week while it rains a bunch this week...

Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend View Post
    Holy long cables there backinmysaddle. Cut those down and you'll be down to 27#s :-)
    And mtnfiend, sweet build, congrats on getting it together and amen on the 28T!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by backinmysaddle View Post
    Yeah, I know. I dread snipping them, what a PITA it is to bleed these SRAM brakes, and the rockshock reverb isnt a piece of cake either. Sending it in to the shop to have them do it this week while it rains a bunch this week...
    Didn't bleed mine. No issues. As long as you don't let air in the lines I've never had a problem cutting upon first install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vassago Verhauen SS
    Niner RIP 9 RDO
    2014 Tarmac Elite

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Yeah the 28T is the perfect setup for me given the types of rides I do. That pic was taken at the top of an approximately 100-150yd section of >15% trail. I needed every bit of 28x42.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ok. I think I like the black the best now:)

The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-img_20150419_150030.jpg

The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-img_20150419_150002.jpg

...freshly built LB 38mm LB / I9 Classic wheels

Carbon & Ti rule
    Cool, Let us know what you think of the new wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post

Name:	IMG_20150419_150030.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	982323

Name:	IMG_20150419_150002.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	237.5 KB 
ID:	982324

mtbr member
    Hey, that's my bike! I'm still trying to decide which wheelset to buy so give us a report on your wheels after you've got some miles on them. Great looking bike! I'm totaling enjoying mine. So much smoother than my Jet 9 RDO. But I loved my Jet too!

Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post

Name:	IMG_20150419_150030.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	982323

Name:	IMG_20150419_150002.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	237.5 KB 
ID:	982324

Single Track Rules!

trail "cleaner"
    Jan 2004
    looks like we all are going back to black.... This warranty replacement seems to be completely defect free
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-black-rip-rdo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

My turn!

Meet the newest member of my family:The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-img_1090.jpg

Thanks again for all the info, I'm psyched with how she rides. This bike is just more fun than the others I've ridden.
    Medium ended up being a great fit for me (5'11 32-ish inseam). I'm certainly grateful for the extra bit of clearance I have over the top tube.
    A few details:
    Pike 140
    Roval Traverse Fattie SL Wheels
    Sram x9 with 30t RaceFace Narrow/Wide Chainring
    Truvative Noir T30 bars 700mm
    RaceFace Evolve Stem 65mm
    Crappy old truvative crankset, waiting on Next Sl
    Crappy old Truvative seatpost, not sure if I'm going carbon or dropper

As currently built comes in a hair over 27lbs.

My only (extremely minor)complaint with the bike is the loss of bottom bracket clearance created by the lower linkage. I'm not terribly graceful anyways, but there have been a couple times where I just can't clear obstacles (tall steep rocks) that I could on other bikes. This complaint is so far outweighed by how well the thing shreds that I can easily look past it.
    Another quick plug for Cytoe's guard: I made use of it a few minutes into the first ride, and on numerous occasions since. Extremely glad I've got it. Perfect fit and looks OEM.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler View Post
    looks like we all are going back to black.... This warranty replacement seems to be completely defect free
    Not me, I like my colors.

Wasn't happy I could only get the WFO9 in Black.

trail "cleaner"
    Jan 2004
    Not me, I like my colors.

Wasn't happy I could only get the WFO9 in Black.
    Not to worry..... still have one of those as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-blue-rdo.jpg  

Carbon & Ti rule
    Good to see, We don't want everybody going to the dark side.

Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler View Post
    Not to worry..... still have one of those as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    On a medium Rip9Carbon, is 100mm dropper travel enough or do I need 125? This would be a KS Lev(blk). 4inches doesn't seem a whole lot (never used a dropper)...even 5inches doesn't seem like it would be worth the almost $400+extra grams. I'm 5'10 (or used to be) so I'm not sure a 150mm would bring the seat too high. Not even sure I can get those other sizes, as so far I could only find 100 in my city.

So..anyone running 100mm KS lev on a medium and feel it's more than enough?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Depends on your sizing. I'm 5'7"

I had a medium Jet 9 RDO and used a 100mm dropper. Seemed great as far as the drop went, but I was not riding tough terrain demanding much more.

I moved to a small RIP 9 RDO and had to get a 125MM dropper simply to get the seat post length wanted and still have enough post in the frame to be safe.

At 5'10, I'd say you'd want a 125mm dropper in the medium.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    A dropper is totally worth the weight and cost. However, you should be looking for a better deal. You can get a ks lev for around 250 if you look online.

Vassago Verhauen SS
    Niner RIP 9 RDO
    2014 Tarmac Elite

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks, will look around for longer travel. One of the sucky things about living in the third world is the limited choices (therefore higher cost) of certain things, and the crappy shipping and Customs. I've already accepted the fact that my bike is going to roughly equal to getting it at srp in the good ol' U.S of A. So to all ye americans, don't forget to appreciate such things as big discounts and mucho choices (gear AND stores).
    Thanks again & I hope to settle this soon so I can post my build here & y'all can tell(bs) me that the high(over)price I paid was worth it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseNotes View Post
    Hey, that's my bike! I'm still trying to decide which wheelset to buy so give us a report on your wheels after you've got some miles on them. Great looking bike! I'm totaling enjoying mine. So much smoother than my Jet 9 RDO. But I loved my Jet too!
    LOL. I also have a Jet9 RDO... I just rode it and it's definitely a different animal from the Rip9 RDO. Perhaps it's the narrower bars I have on it, the craptastic talas fork, or lack of dropper post...

The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-img_0153.jpg

mtbr member
    Make sure you get a good measurement on your inseam length. I bought my Medium from competitive cyclist and I wanted a reverb 125, but they didn't have one, so they gave me a thompson dropper. I thought I had an awesome step up. But turns out my inseam isn't long enough for the 400mm post, and I had to buy a 380mm 125 drop reverb. I'm 5'9 and wear a 30" Levi.

If your 5'10 you should be good for a 125mm drop post. My .02 is buy a reverb or anything under 400mm overall length.

Carbon & Ti rule
    It all comes down to what seat height you run to start with,

I run my seat on my Lge at 800mm high so a 100mm drop would only drop me down to the height some of my friends ride any way, So I run 125mm drop reverb,

My wife rides a small Rip9 & only uses a 685mm seat height so we had to go 100mm drop/355mm Reverb to make it all fit.

Without knowing your seat height I'm guessing 125 drop & 380mm total length.

mtbr member
    6'3" on an XL RIP 9 RDO. I have to use a 4" dropper (KS LEV Ti) due to Niner's excessively long seat tubes in sizes L and XL. I don't notice any difference vs. the 5" dropper on my other bike...and that's in very technical terrain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    So here's my med 2015 Rip 9 Carbon:

Niner RDO 80mm Stem/Handlebar
    Rockshox Pike 150 fork (macho badass lookin' fork)

XTR M9000 Trail Groupset 36/26 chaining- (the great deal I got for it was cancelled out by the fact I couldn't use the center lock freeza rotors & clamp FD)
    XTR M9k pedals

KS LEV 125mm dropper post- 385mm (got the worst deal ever, but I couldn't get past the color of the DOSS & was so frustrated I couldn't find a non-stealth-30.9-Reverb anywhere local I just went ahead & overpaid for the KS...but hey, it's black!)

IODINE2 wheelset (everyone here seems to hate these...but I wanted to save somewhere, and my Cobalts on my HT served me well, so thought its worth a shot...& I think they look cool! I also like the fact it's a mature product, which means it's gotten the screwups out of the way already)

Tires- Hans Damph 2.35 front/ Nobby Nic 2.25 rear

AiNEON ASHIMA 180mm rotors (adapter for the rear to fit) These are the only ones I'm not sure about. I was looking' at those funky DirtyDog rotors but these were sooo much lighter. I just hope they brake well enough- not a whole lot of surface there.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Okay after seeing that I definitely like the Carbon's color scheme more than my RDO. Wow that thing looks great. Love the look of those Cobalts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I do like the color scheme. Any idea what it weighs? Also, check out slikgraphics.com. You can get matching fork decals.

Vassago Verhauen SS
    Niner RIP 9 RDO
    2014 Tarmac Elite

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    thanks guys, yeah, I was actually all set to get the white rdo until I saw the Satin black. They weighed it at the shop at 13.2 kilos, but I'm not sure if I trust the mech scale, I'll weigh it in the morning as soon as I find my digital luggage scale. But I don't think it reaches 30lbs though....

edit- ok, I just weighed it- 29.4 lbs. Not bad I think considering the iodine2 is kinda heavy (relatively speaking).

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)-w5l7mjnl.jpg

I love this bike. Hit up the trails in Massanutten this weekend and had an absolute blast. Was a little tired on the last day but got that video of my favorite trail there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    what camera did you use? for the video, looks good

mtbr member
    May 2012
    GoPro Hero 3+

Secret is shooting in 60fps, ProTune, and the flat color setting. Then I bring it into Premiere and work on the colors and white balance. I still want totally happy with it (too blue in the beginning) but it definitely looks better than the default GoPro settings.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I also did a quick and dirty stabilize on it, you can see the black sections pop in around the edges.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    It's awesome how you barrel thru the rocks with your Rip9. Can't wait till I get to do that with mine.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quick question about the Float rear shock on the RDO: How do I tell if it's truly bottoming out? Will the black sag check ring fall down off the shaft or am I effectively bottoming it out when it gets to the Kashima logo? I haven't gotten it below that Kashima logo and I was just wondering if I should be letting out some air. Also not bottoming out the Pike, even on that trail I posted above, so it looks like I could drop the pressure on that too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quick question about the Float rear shock on the RDO: How do I tell if it's truly bottoming out? Will the black sag check ring fall down off the shaft or am I effectively bottoming it out when it gets to the Kashima logo? I haven't gotten it below that Kashima logo and I was just wondering if I should be letting out some air. Also not bottoming out the Pike, even on that trail I posted above, so it looks like I could drop the pressure on that too.
    just let the air out and cycle it to see.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Heh, that was my plan for my lunch break.

mtbr member
    IMO, the Pike feels better at less sag. Add the benefit of the last half inch or so of travel when you case something and go hard into your handlebars. It's kept me afloat more than once.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Looks like mine bottoms out at the middle of the Kashima logo:

Name:  IMG_7212 copy.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  91.4 KB

And this is what the travel looks like:

Name:  rip9travel.gif
Views: 798
Size:  289.6 KB

mtbr member
    Jun 2004