Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Carbon & Ti rule

Rip9 RDO with XX1

I'm riding my Rip9 RDO but still have a couple of things to finish.

The Reverb hose has hasn't been shortend yet because I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the 100mm drop one in it or go back to 125mm

I also have Blue brake lines for it but will work out just how long i want them 1st so i only have to bleed them once.

I'm still to work out what brand stem & handle bars I want to run.

So here is the build

Rip9 RDO frame Lge

Rock Shox Reverlation RCT3 fork 140mm with 20mm T/A- Now upgraded to Rockshox Pike.

Full XX1 Group with 30 tooth front ring.

XX brakes with 180mm rotors front & rear.

100mm Reverb Seat post with LH remote.

780mm wide carbon Niner RDO Flat bar.

Niner WTB seat.

Ergon grips

In the photo it has I9 Flow wheels with Racing Ralph 2.25 front & rear.

The bike will spend most of the time with I9 Torch Wheels with Silver Spokes & hubs with Reynolds Carbon Rims & 2.35 Hans Dumpf tyres.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rip9 RDO with XX1-my-rip9-rdo-006.jpg  

Rip9 RDO with XX1-my-rip9-rdo-004.jpg  

Rip9 RDO with XX1-my-rip9-rdo-003.jpg  

Last edited by muzzanic; 03-22-2013 at 03:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Nice Muzz. Very, very nice. Not sure how wide you wanna go, but I love my new sixc bars.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Hi
    Just some info for anyone that is thinking 156 Q XX1 cranks on this bike, I wouldn't do it.

Niner say 168 or wider, With a 156 Q the cranks come very close (within a couple ofmm ) to the rear triangle on the Lh side & if you got any play in anything they could touch.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Rip9 RDO with XX1

Very nice!!

The revolution you got, is that the one which is internally adjustable?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Hi Yes it is.

Rock Shox Revelation RCT3 29" Dual Air 1.5" Taper 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by sand0kan View Post

Very nice!!

The revolution you got, is that the one which is internally adjustable?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Nice bike, you don't have a spare Jet 9 RDO lying around do you?

Also I think the blue brake lines might be too much blue.

Carbon & Ti rule
    We will soon see.

I may have a spare, What size frame do you use ?

Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma View Post
    Nice bike, you don't have a spare Jet 9 RDO lying around do you?

Also I think the blue brake lines might be too much blue.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    We will soon see.

I may have a spare, What size frame do you use ?
    Large, the problem will be convincing my wife I need one as my Jet 9 alloy works just fine. The current run out models in the US are very tempting too but adding freight and handling from my US "address" and customs duties still makes it a $2k + option.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Muzz thanx for the link. That fork has a 20 mm Maxle. I see that you use I9 torch wheels. If i am not mistaken the torch hubs can be easily changed with end caps right?

I want to use the I9 torch weelset also in my Jet 9 RDO which has a 15 mm fork.

When it is only changing the endcaps of the hub the wheelset is easy to change in bikes.

mtbr member
    Hi Muzz,

Finally getting her put together heh?! So far, looks great. I've got the same fork for my Jet 9 RDO in a 120mm version(per your suggestion) and I love it! That 140 sure looks like a lot of travel! Bet it will work great on your Rip. more pics when done and I would add a little accent color with the cables(maybe yellow) Enjoy the new bike!
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Muzz, How is the shifting compared to the Jet9 RDO? I just got the new kit from Niner to run full length housing on my Jet9 RDO. The rest of my XX1 will be here next week minus the Stan's XD driver so I will install the new cable then. I was just wondering what you thought about the new cable routing on the Rip9 RDO?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yes it is just end caps.

Quote Originally Posted by sand0kan View Post
    Muzz thanx for the link. That fork has a 20 mm Maxle. I see that you use I9 torch wheels. If i am not mistaken the torch hubs can be easily changed with end caps right?

I want to use the I9 torch weelset also in my Jet 9 RDO which has a 15 mm fork.

When it is only changing the endcaps of the hub the wheelset is easy to change in bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thx ordered the fork for my future Rip RDO build.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have never had any shifting problems on my Jet RDO's.

But I take alot of care with how i set it up & they can shift very nice.

The setup on the Rip9 RDO is easyer to fit.

The XX1 group is just so nice to use & is just awesome in the ruff.

Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    Muzz, How is the shifting compared to the Jet9 RDO? I just got the new kit from Niner to run full length housing on my Jet9 RDO. The rest of my XX1 will be here next week minus the Stan's XD driver so I will install the new cable then. I was just wondering what you thought about the new cable routing on the Rip9 RDO?

recent MTB mania victim
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I'm riding my Rip9 RDO but still have a couple of things to finish.
    It looks an amazingly bright blue... much lighter than the promo shots. Or is that the kiwi sunlight at work washing out the photo?

Either way, a lovely bike. Sadly out of my price range (though I keep an eye on TradeMe just in case).

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yes the colour changes alot in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by ealaidh View Post
    It looks an amazingly bright blue... much lighter than the promo shots. Or is that the kiwi sunlight at work washing out the photo?

Either way, a lovely bike. Sadly out of my price range (though I keep an eye on TradeMe just in case).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Nice ride Muzz, so can you tell us how it rides and maybe how it compares to a Jet rdo and an aluminim RIP? You are one of the few who can give us this feedback and I am curious as to where this bike's limits are compared to the others.

Thanks
    -Nolan

Carbon & Ti rule
    Hi

Yes I have started writing down my thoughts but will post after the weekend when I have had a chance to take it on some of the tracks that really show up the good & bad on bikes.

It is all very fresh in my mind as I have spent quite a bit of time on a Alloy Rip9 with XX1 & I9 wheels over the last couple of weeks also.

Quote Originally Posted by nolan17 View Post
    Nice ride Muzz, so can you tell us how it rides and maybe how it compares to a Jet rdo and an aluminim RIP? You are one of the few who can give us this feedback and I am curious as to where this bike's limits are compared to the others.

Thanks
    -Nolan

Carbon & Ti rule

Rip9 RDO vs Jet9 RDO

Ok thoughts so far.

I have been Ridding my Jet9 RDO for a Year & just love it, Nice & light, Very good on the down hills & man can it climb.

So the Rip9 RDO frame arrives & I un pack it,

1st up it felt much heavyer than jet9 RDO frames ( My Lge Jet9 RDO frame is 2450 grams & My Lge Rip9 RDO frame is 2980 grams )

The tubes are much bigger than they look in photos & the amount of carbon around the head tube was huge.

So I was thinking things like if you are going to build the frame this tuff why only give it 125mm travel & also thinking the Jet9 RDO is going to kill this thing on the climbs.

Having done alot of riding on a 2012 Rip9 with XX1 back to back with ny Jet9 RDO on my trails I was starting to think that although it may well be a good bike, It may well have missed the mark.

So I built it up more as a Trail bike build,

Now the Jet9 RDO was very good on very steep switch backs were you were almost stalled & had to power out, Often on the Rip9 Alloy on this corner as you had to power out the bike would sink into its rear travel a bit to much ,Lift the front wheel & stall the bike.

Now this to me was one of the things I had decided that the Rip9 RDO was going to struggle on like the Rip9 did, ( Some bikes I have owned I have never been able to ride this corner ) Well 1st time on the Rip9 RDO it nailed it.

Was it better than the Jet9 RDO on this ? No but It wasn't far off so i was starting to respect the bike much more.

With all the other very steep climbing the bike worked very well & felt so much more like the Jet9 RDO than the Rip9 Alloy I had been riding.

On the flat over big tree roots & stuff the Rip9 RDO felt a bit smooter than my Jet9 RDO but not a huge amount (Note I don't have my Jet9 RDO set up as a race bike, the builds are not far off each other) But felt much crisper than the Rip9 alloy for having to power up & over things,

On the downs the Rip9 RDO felt nice & I felt at home on it, It soaked up the bumps & had good grip. It doesn't buck as hard as the Jet9 RDO when you hit a step sharp edge with the rear wheel (something I always liked about the Alloy Rip9 aswell ).

I still only have a little amount of miles on it at the moment ( but on very testing trails I know well ) & have only used the bike in the Trail mode as this is how I have been running the Jet9 RDO & I have been getting alot of people asking to compair the 2 bikes.

I will add much more to this later in the day when I get a bit more time.
    Last edited by muzzanic; 03-24-2013 at 01:22 PM.

bust a move
    Really like the new ride Muzz...Very nice
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Now I'm jealous of both your bikes!! Congrats on the new build.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Notes with the 2.35 Hans Dumpf on Flow rim on the back, At the top rear stays ( seat stays ) there is approx 5mm tyre clearance on the side & approx 12mm at the front.

On the chain stays there is approx 7mm on the sides & approx 13mm at the front.

With my seat height 800mm running a string line from the back of the seat post the ground the Rip9 RDO seatpost is 15mm closer to the rear axle than the Jet9 RDO, 9 Both bikes have a Reverb so they are the same there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I wouldn't mind hearing how you compare the RIP 9 RDO vs the Alloy (rather than vs the Jet).

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryRudolph View Post
    I wouldn't mind hearing how you compare the RIP 9 RDO vs the Alloy (rather than vs the Jet).
    It is lighter, Stiffer as you would expect, But the big thing is that it seems to have a much better pedaling platform for climbing & powering up over things while climbing.

These things stand out the most with the miles I have done so far, I will comment more on the down hill once I have more down hill miles on it.

mtbr member

Rip9 RDO with XX1

More!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast