Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Carbon & Ti rule

Rip9 RDO with XX1

I'm riding my Rip9 RDO but still have a couple of things to finish.

The Reverb hose has hasn't been shortend yet because I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the 100mm drop one in it or go back to 125mm

I also have Blue brake lines for it but will work out just how long i want them 1st so i only have to bleed them once.

I'm still to work out what brand stem & handle bars I want to run.

So here is the build

Rip9 RDO frame Lge

Rock Shox Reverlation RCT3 fork 140mm with 20mm T/A- Now upgraded to Rockshox Pike.

Full XX1 Group with 30 tooth front ring.

XX brakes with 180mm rotors front & rear.

100mm Reverb Seat post with LH remote.

780mm wide carbon Niner RDO Flat bar.

Niner WTB seat.

Ergon grips

In the photo it has I9 Flow wheels with Racing Ralph 2.25 front & rear.

The bike will spend most of the time with I9 Torch Wheels with Silver Spokes & hubs with Reynolds Carbon Rims & 2.35 Hans Dumpf tyres.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rip9 RDO with XX1-my-rip9-rdo-006.jpg  

Rip9 RDO with XX1-my-rip9-rdo-004.jpg  

Rip9 RDO with XX1-my-rip9-rdo-003.jpg  

Last edited by muzzanic; 03-22-2013 at 04:30 AM.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Nice Muzz. Very, very nice. Not sure how wide you wanna go, but I love my new sixc bars.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Hi
    Just some info for anyone that is thinking 156 Q XX1 cranks on this bike, I wouldn't do it.

Niner say 168 or wider, With a 156 Q the cranks come very close (within a couple ofmm ) to the rear triangle on the Lh side & if you got any play in anything they could touch.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Rip9 RDO with XX1

Very nice!!

The revolution you got, is that the one which is internally adjustable?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Hi Yes it is.

Rock Shox Revelation RCT3 29" Dual Air 1.5" Taper 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by sand0kan View Post

Very nice!!

The revolution you got, is that the one which is internally adjustable?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Nice bike, you don't have a spare Jet 9 RDO lying around do you?

Also I think the blue brake lines might be too much blue.

Carbon & Ti rule
    We will soon see.

I may have a spare, What size frame do you use ?

Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma View Post
    Nice bike, you don't have a spare Jet 9 RDO lying around do you?

Also I think the blue brake lines might be too much blue.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    We will soon see.

I may have a spare, What size frame do you use ?
    Large, the problem will be convincing my wife I need one as my Jet 9 alloy works just fine. The current run out models in the US are very tempting too but adding freight and handling from my US "address" and customs duties still makes it a $2k + option.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Muzz thanx for the link. That fork has a 20 mm Maxle. I see that you use I9 torch wheels. If i am not mistaken the torch hubs can be easily changed with end caps right?

I want to use the I9 torch weelset also in my Jet 9 RDO which has a 15 mm fork.

When it is only changing the endcaps of the hub the wheelset is easy to change in bikes.

mtbr member
    Hi Muzz,

Finally getting her put together heh?! So far, looks great. I've got the same fork for my Jet 9 RDO in a 120mm version(per your suggestion) and I love it! That 140 sure looks like a lot of travel! Bet it will work great on your Rip. more pics when done and I would add a little accent color with the cables(maybe yellow) Enjoy the new bike!
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Muzz, How is the shifting compared to the Jet9 RDO? I just got the new kit from Niner to run full length housing on my Jet9 RDO. The rest of my XX1 will be here next week minus the Stan's XD driver so I will install the new cable then. I was just wondering what you thought about the new cable routing on the Rip9 RDO?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yes it is just end caps.

Quote Originally Posted by sand0kan View Post
    Muzz thanx for the link. That fork has a 20 mm Maxle. I see that you use I9 torch wheels. If i am not mistaken the torch hubs can be easily changed with end caps right?

I want to use the I9 torch weelset also in my Jet 9 RDO which has a 15 mm fork.

When it is only changing the endcaps of the hub the wheelset is easy to change in bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thx ordered the fork for my future Rip RDO build.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have never had any shifting problems on my Jet RDO's.

But I take alot of care with how i set it up & they can shift very nice.

The setup on the Rip9 RDO is easyer to fit.

The XX1 group is just so nice to use & is just awesome in the ruff.

Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    Muzz, How is the shifting compared to the Jet9 RDO? I just got the new kit from Niner to run full length housing on my Jet9 RDO. The rest of my XX1 will be here next week minus the Stan's XD driver so I will install the new cable then. I was just wondering what you thought about the new cable routing on the Rip9 RDO?

recent MTB mania victim
    I'm riding my Rip9 RDO but still have a couple of things to finish.
    It looks an amazingly bright blue... much lighter than the promo shots. Or is that the kiwi sunlight at work washing out the photo?

Either way, a lovely bike. Sadly out of my price range (though I keep an eye on TradeMe just in case).

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yes the colour changes alot in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by ealaidh View Post
    It looks an amazingly bright blue... much lighter than the promo shots. Or is that the kiwi sunlight at work washing out the photo?

Either way, a lovely bike. Sadly out of my price range (though I keep an eye on TradeMe just in case).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Nice ride Muzz, so can you tell us how it rides and maybe how it compares to a Jet rdo and an aluminim RIP? You are one of the few who can give us this feedback and I am curious as to where this bike's limits are compared to the others.

Thanks
    -Nolan

Carbon & Ti rule
    Hi

Yes I have started writing down my thoughts but will post after the weekend when I have had a chance to take it on some of the tracks that really show up the good & bad on bikes.

It is all very fresh in my mind as I have spent quite a bit of time on a Alloy Rip9 with XX1 & I9 wheels over the last couple of weeks also.

Quote Originally Posted by nolan17 View Post
    Nice ride Muzz, so can you tell us how it rides and maybe how it compares to a Jet rdo and an aluminim RIP? You are one of the few who can give us this feedback and I am curious as to where this bike's limits are compared to the others.

Thanks
    -Nolan

Carbon & Ti rule

Rip9 RDO vs Jet9 RDO

Ok thoughts so far.

I have been Ridding my Jet9 RDO for a Year & just love it, Nice & light, Very good on the down hills & man can it climb.

So the Rip9 RDO frame arrives & I un pack it,

1st up it felt much heavyer than jet9 RDO frames ( My Lge Jet9 RDO frame is 2450 grams & My Lge Rip9 RDO frame is 2980 grams )

The tubes are much bigger than they look in photos & the amount of carbon around the head tube was huge.

So I was thinking things like if you are going to build the frame this tuff why only give it 125mm travel & also thinking the Jet9 RDO is going to kill this thing on the climbs.

Having done alot of riding on a 2012 Rip9 with XX1 back to back with ny Jet9 RDO on my trails I was starting to think that although it may well be a good bike, It may well have missed the mark.

So I built it up more as a Trail bike build,

Now the Jet9 RDO was very good on very steep switch backs were you were almost stalled & had to power out, Often on the Rip9 Alloy on this corner as you had to power out the bike would sink into its rear travel a bit to much ,Lift the front wheel & stall the bike.

Now this to me was one of the things I had decided that the Rip9 RDO was going to struggle on like the Rip9 did, ( Some bikes I have owned I have never been able to ride this corner ) Well 1st time on the Rip9 RDO it nailed it.

Was it better than the Jet9 RDO on this ? No but It wasn't far off so i was starting to respect the bike much more.

With all the other very steep climbing the bike worked very well & felt so much more like the Jet9 RDO than the Rip9 Alloy I had been riding.

On the flat over big tree roots & stuff the Rip9 RDO felt a bit smooter than my Jet9 RDO but not a huge amount (Note I don't have my Jet9 RDO set up as a race bike, the builds are not far off each other) But felt much crisper than the Rip9 alloy for having to power up & over things,

On the downs the Rip9 RDO felt nice & I felt at home on it, It soaked up the bumps & had good grip. It doesn't buck as hard as the Jet9 RDO when you hit a step sharp edge with the rear wheel (something I always liked about the Alloy Rip9 aswell ).

I still only have a little amount of miles on it at the moment ( but on very testing trails I know well ) & have only used the bike in the Trail mode as this is how I have been running the Jet9 RDO & I have been getting alot of people asking to compair the 2 bikes.

I will add much more to this later in the day when I get a bit more time.
    Last edited by muzzanic; 03-24-2013 at 02:22 PM.

bust a move
    Really like the new ride Muzz...Very nice
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Now I'm jealous of both your bikes!! Congrats on the new build.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Notes with the 2.35 Hans Dumpf on Flow rim on the back, At the top rear stays ( seat stays ) there is approx 5mm tyre clearance on the side & approx 12mm at the front.

On the chain stays there is approx 7mm on the sides & approx 13mm at the front.

With my seat height 800mm running a string line from the back of the seat post the ground the Rip9 RDO seatpost is 15mm closer to the rear axle than the Jet9 RDO, 9 Both bikes have a Reverb so they are the same there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I wouldn't mind hearing how you compare the RIP 9 RDO vs the Alloy (rather than vs the Jet).

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryRudolph View Post
    I wouldn't mind hearing how you compare the RIP 9 RDO vs the Alloy (rather than vs the Jet).
    It is lighter, Stiffer as you would expect, But the big thing is that it seems to have a much better pedaling platform for climbing & powering up over things while climbing.

These things stand out the most with the miles I have done so far, I will comment more on the down hill once I have more down hill miles on it.

mtbr member

Rip9 RDO with XX1

More!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Nice looking bike but 6.5lbs for a frame? Just a little out of the ballpark there and more expenssive than the competition with less travel...

Hmmm.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT View Post
    Nice looking bike but 6.5lbs for a frame? Just a little out of the ballpark there and more expenssive than the competition with less travel...

Hmmm.
    Yes when I weighed it I was thinking the same thing, But after ridding it I was very happy.

This thing really climbs very well, Showing once again that weight is only 1 part of the list of things to make a good fast bike that can take a beating.

The thing is that there are lots of bike makers that are starting to up the travel to meet what alot of people are asking for.

But here's the thing, A longer travel bike needs to be tuffer than a shorter travel bike, IMO there are companys that are making there longer travel bikes the same weight as there flexy short travel bikes.

The Rip9 RDO has been built to do a job & has not followed the ( It has to be light at any cost ) that seems to happen all to often.

I already had a Jet9 RDO that IMO is more than a match for any bike out there in it's class & I wasn't looking for another one, I was looking for a bike to put a 140 or 150mm fork on & Hans Dumpf tyres front & back to tackle more ruff stuff.

I was prepaired to take a weight hit & was sure that I would take a big drop in how the bike pedaled up hill as well.

I have spent a bit of time on a Rip9 Alloy lately & it gave up quite a bit to my Jet9 RDO when climbing, So I was a bit worried how much I would give up on the hills.

To my suprise the Rip9 RDO is a real climber & I'm still faster on the climbs than my friend on his Jet9 RDO & he was almost able to sit on my back wheel on the climbs when I was on my Jet9 RDO so both of us beleave the bike gives up all but nothing on climbing.
    Last edited by muzzanic; 03-29-2013 at 03:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Rip9 RDO with XX1

It is lighter, Stiffer as you would expect, But the big thing is that it seems to have a much better pedaling platform for climbing & powering up over things while climbing.

These things stand out the most with the miles I have done so far, I will comment more on the down hill once I have more down hill miles on it.
    I'm wondering why the better pedaling platform and what you mean exactly? Why the RIP RDO would be better than alloy at climbing? Is that the stiffness the carbon provides? Or a combo of weight and stiffness? Just curious. Great looking bike!

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahmer09 View Post
    I'm wondering why the better pedaling platform and what you mean exactly? Why the RIP RDO would be better than alloy at climbing? Is that the stiffness the carbon provides? Or a combo of weight and stiffness? Just curious. Great looking bike!
    Ok it is stiffer & it is lighter but it is much more than that, The CVA & shock setup seems to be setup much better & although the bike is still plush the pedaling platform is quite a bit better.

A friend of mine & I did some back to back tests on the Rip9 Alloy vs the Jet9 RDO on some trails & who ever was on the Jet9 RDO was just riding away on the climbs.

This doesn't seem to be the case with the Jet9 RDO vs the Rip9 RDO.

Tomorrow I'm going riding with 3 Rip9 Alloy riders that are keen to do back to back tests so we will be doing a very short & hard loop, Very steep up & down so there opinion will be very interesting to see.

There will be 3 Jet9 RDO there for us to use as well so it will be a fun day.

I will let you know what we find even if they think i'm wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ok it is stiffer & it is lighter but it is much more than that, The CVA & shock setup seems to be setup much better & although the bike is still plush the pedaling platform is quite a bit better.

A friend of mine & I did some back to back tests on the Rip9 Alloy vs the Jet9 RDO on some trails & who ever was on the Jet9 RDO was just riding away on the climbs.

This doesn't seem to be the case with the Jet9 RDO vs the Rip9 RDO.

Tomorrow I'm going riding with 3 Rip9 Alloy riders that are keen to do back to back tests so we will be doing a very short & hard loop, Very steep up & down so there opinion will be very interesting to see.

There will be 3 Jet9 RDO there for us to use as well so it will be a fun day.

I will let you know what we find even if they think i'm wrong.
    I can't wait to hear how it turned out. I was all set to get the Jet 9 RDO and suddenly the RIP RDO is available.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    I can't wait to hear how it turned out. I was all set to get the Jet 9 RDO and suddenly the RIP RDO is available.
    Yes we all had a good day, I will sit down tonight & write down how it all went.

I hope Allan chips in & says how he found it as well.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    Ok it was fun riding with the bikes setup much the same.

The Rip9 Alloy with XX1 had Arch EX I9 wheels on it & both my Jet9 RDO & Rip9 RDO had Flows.

My take on what I took from the test ride.

So it was pretty much agreed that the Jet9 RDO was climbing the same steep parts of the track around 2 gears higher than the alloy Rip9 & on some of the very steep ruff switch backs the Jet9 RDO was just eating up that type of trail with ease.

Were as the Rip9 Alloy was dropping into it's travel more & trying to lift the front wheel & took much more body language to get those corners.

With the Rip9 RDO, Nobody thought it climbed better than the Jet9 RDO but the comments were anything from it's a wash between them, To maybe the Jet9 RDO has alittle bit on it on the climbs but I just don't care, Does the Jet9 RDO put bigger smiles on my face ? NO.

All agreed that the difference in climbing between the Alloy Rip9 & the Rip9 RDO was big.

The big suprise for them was that the Rip9 RDO climbed better than any of us thought it would, having not only more travel than the Jet9 RDO but the Rip9 Alloy as well.

The Rip9 RDO just owned the trails & begged to be ridden harder.

So were to from here?

The Rip9 Alloy is still a good bike that is fun to ride & can take a real beating & it's way of making you feel you can take on anything down hill has always been ( IMO ) both it's strength & draw back, Because it can make it feel over biked on the flat or easyer trails.

Does the Rip9 RDO replace the Jet9 RDO ?

Well no, The Jet9 RDO is 500 grams lighter with the same build, does have just a touch over the Rip9 RDO on the climbs & on the very steep climbs & switch back climbs you need a little more body language to keep the front down.

Also the Jet9 RDO can handle the ruff down hill & give you that fun under biked, Playfull fun feeling.

Were as the Rip9 RDO feels awesome down hill & make you feel like your next trail needs to be ruffer.

Although the Rip9 RDO can also give you a bit of the I'm over biked feel, It pedals so well out of the corners & jumps out of the corners like the Jet9 RDO & hides the fact that you are riding a much larger travel bike.

Well thats my 2 c & I will update more as I play more.
    Last edited by muzzanic; 04-01-2013 at 02:43 AM.

Carbon & Ti rule

The Day After

Ya Shuttle runs.

A 1 hour drive out of town to do some shuttle runs.

The day started a little wet but dryed out nice.

The bike went so well, I had the Hans Dumpf 2.35 tyres front & back on I9 Flow wheels runnin 24 Ib rear & 20 Ib front.

The bike handled everything very well & soaked up the bumps & jumps very well.

At the end of most of the runs both front & rear shock had there orings so close to the end of there travel that I'm suprised I didn't fell them bottom out.

You can ride this bike with wreckless abandon & it looks after you.

Still a bit early to tell how this bike will go on all tracks but it hasn't done anything silly yet.

Always Learning
    Well thats my 2 c & I will update more as I play more.
    Good write up and thoughts on the feel between the three bikes. Thanks for doing that as it helps put things in perspective. What fork(s) and amount of travel was on all 3 bikes?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    This thread need more pics !

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Good write up and thoughts on the feel between the three bikes. Thanks for doing that as it helps put things in perspective. What fork(s) and amount of travel was on all 3 bikes?
    The Alloy Rip9's XX1 bike had 120 Manitou tower pro with 15mm T/A, 1 had 120 White brothers with 15mm T/A &
    the last one had 140/110 Revelation

Rip9 RDO had 140 Revelation

All 3 Jet9 RDO's had Revelation's with 20mm T/A & set at 120mm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Ok it was fun riding with the bikes setup much the same.

All agreed that the difference in climbing between the Alloy Rip9 & the Rip9 RDO was big.

The big suprise for them was that the Rip9 RDO climbed better than any of us thought it would, having not only more travel than the Jet9 RDO but the Rip9 Alloy as well.

The Rip9 RDO just owned the trails & begged to be ridden harder.

So were to from here?
    Thanks for the great write up. I know it is relative in some ways, but do you see the RDO as worth the money over the alloy RIP9? I had my sights set on the alloy especially with some of the prices I've seen lately. You really seem to like the RIP RDO. But we are talking $1600. I ride 3 times a week on local trails and have no racing aspirations. Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    When you talk about climbing on the bikes, do you keep the shock in the trail mode or do you switch it to climb mode?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch1413 View Post
    When you talk about climbing on the bikes, do you keep the shock in the trail mode or do you switch it to climb mode?
    I have not felt the need to put it in the climb mode, I was using Trail mode, if you did need to use climb to make it climb well IMO that would have been a mark against it because you wouldn't want to have to use it for pinch climbs.
    Last edited by muzzanic; 04-01-2013 at 08:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hi Muzz, where are you riding?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinrod42 View Post
    Hi Muzz, where are you riding?
    Most of my riding is in Tauranga & Rotorua in New Zealand.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Cool, just wondering if this frame would be good for Whistler-PNW rowdy style XC = not exactly smooth. Seems like it is built for that...

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinrod42 View Post
    Cool, just wondering if this frame would be good for Whistler-PNW rowdy style XC = not exactly smooth. Seems like it is built for that...
    It is build tuff, It's tubes look much bigger than the 2 WFO's it was next to on Sunday
    Last edited by muzzanic; 04-01-2013 at 08:00 PM.

mtbr member

Rip9 RDO with XX1

Great stuff Muzz! You just saved me a ton of money! For the MN, USA terrain, looks like I'm good with the Jet9RDO for now... Though, my bike envy level is very high! I'd love to get a leg over that baby.

mtbr member
    I have not ridden a RIP 9 RDO, but I have had similar impressions of the other two bikes.

I have a Jet9 RDO and a Rip 9 Alu. I run a 140mm fork on the RIP and a 120 on the Jet. I have found the jet to do everything better except descend really steep technical terrain.

I find the rip to be an amazing descender and a decent climber. The JET is an amazing climber and a capable descender. The jet also feels like a much smaller more playful bike overall, but the rip allows me to relax more when going with gravity. The RIP 9 RDO sure sounds like a significant improvement to the existing alu RIP (which is already a really good bike).

However, I would not recommend the RDO to everyone looking for a trail bike. Carbon is great, but I don't think my alu RIP would still be in once piece if it was made of carbon. I have bounced it off quite a few big rocks...

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahmer09 View Post
    Thanks for the great write up. I know it is relative in some ways, but do you see the RDO as worth the money over the alloy RIP9? I had my sights set on the alloy especially with some of the prices I've seen lately. You really seem to like the RIP RDO. But we are talking $1600. I ride 3 times a week on local trails and have no racing aspirations. Thanks
    That is a hard 1, If it's $1600 you don't have then it would be very hard to spend it.

$1600 buys a lot of go faster parts.

The Rip9 RDO is a stunning bike & a very very good climber, That's not to take away the fact that the older Alloy Rip9 is still a very good & fun bike.

Everybody has something about a bike that they want the most, It is up to you to work out what that is.

I have said many times that I would rather have a Jet9 RDO with X7 gear on it than a Alloy Rip9 with XX on it, So for me I'm still the same way with the Rip9 RDO.

The thing is that I really suffer on the climbs & I have to do lots of them, So for me climbing is a bigger thing than most I guess.

I'm quite good on the down hill so don't need as good a bike for that, But I do still want the best bike I can get my hands on & that's the Rip9 RDO for my needs.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I just weighed my new Industry Nine, Torch, Trail 32 Carbon wheels & am very happy with the weights.

With rim strips & valves & caps ready to fit tyre's

Front 753 grams
    Rear 859 grams

This make them lighter than my wife's Crests. & way lighter than My I9 Flows on Enduro hubs.

I will have to take a photo & post it up.

mtbr member
    Muzz,

I've been to the I9 website but have never been able to see a carbon wheel with their new torch hubs. Where did you find these?
    Single Track Rules!

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseNotes View Post
    Muzz,

I've been to the I9 website but have never been able to see a carbon wheel with their new torch hubs. Where did you find these?
    The new Zealand Niner dealer got them for me.

The I9 web site isn't a great one IMO.

Mine are not the Niner ones but you can get them with the Niner Logo's on them to so maybe contact Niner & see if they have some.

mtbr member
    I'm still considering the cheap Chinese carbon wheels laced up with the I9 torch hub. Don't think I can afford the I9 carbons
    Single Track Rules!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast