mtbr member
    Dec 2005

RIP9 RDO questions

Bouncing around the idea of a new RIP RDO, Imba blue complete bike with XX1.

Any idea what this thing weighs? I have read several threads and it seems as if the RIP is about a pound heavier than the Jet (not that it really matters, just curious).

What kind of pricing are folks seeing on these things given the time of year?

A Senior
    Apr 2008
    sorry i cant help on this.
    my rip rdo was XT spec with revelation fork. weight was 27 and change before i switched to dropper post, fox 34, and bigger tires. love this thing.
    personally, i have began to overlook the weight and buy stiffness, and suspension feel.
    i have too much body weight to lose than worry about grams anymore.
    if you have a technical question regarding the bike, i may be able to help.
    ride fun.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Hi,
    My rip Rdo has a 140mm pike,
    780 Miner bar
    Ergon grips
    XX brakes with 180mm rotors front and back
    XX1 group, 28tooth front ring.
    I9 Torch, Trail carbon wheels, with Nobby Nic.s
    Reverb dropper seat.
    Wtb Ti rail seat.
    My bike weight is 26.6 lb

I love this bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have a Niner cockpit, XX1 group, Rockshox Revelation 140, I9 with Light Bicycle Rims, Foam grips, Candy 3 pedals, Crossmark rear tire, Schwalbe 2.4 front and mine weighs 25.8 Lbs.
    I have not noticed any price decreases.

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Hi,
    780 Miner bar
    Ergon grips
    XX1 group, 28tooth front ring.
    Reverb dropper seat.
    Wtb Ti rail seat.

I love this bike.
    I just demoed a RIP on Saturday (Alum, not the RDO) and loved it. I am just about 6' tall (maybe 5'11.5") and want to try the medium frame out to see which fit I like better (demo was a large). I also want to try the RDO once I figure out my size to see if I want to cough up the extra cash. I am not completely set on the Niner yet, still going to demo other brands/models, but I do like the bang for my buck value and the ride on the RIP was really nice. The weight difference between the carbon RDO and aluminum versions isn't huge so I may just stick with aluminum.

As far as the build I would have in mind for the RIP, it would look a lot like yours muzzanic. The Pike fork is on my definite list. I also would prefer the 28 tooth front ring for some extra help up the hill, the demo was a 32 and I huffed a bit. The shop I am building my new bike with suggested the I9's as well. I did like the reverb but it was also my first day using a dropper so I can't really judge that yet and have also heard good things about the KS Lev. I am coming off a HT so whatever I end up with is going to open new doors for my riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

I eat cats
    Oh, I meant to ask a question about sizing. The large felt good but I could see how a medium might be nearing my size too. I keep hearing about Niners running big and I could tell the large was big enough for me but want to feel how the medium rides as well. What size RIP (RDO and/or alum) are guys in the 5'10"-6' range riding? I know that there are other factors like long legs, short legs, no legs, whatever.. just curious for some feedback. (Building a new bike is fun and stressful)
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

Space Ghost
    I hope my reply doesn't come across wrong. I just recently bought a Niner RIP 9 alloy. I had been on a Giant Trance X 29 XO for over a year. I realized I wanted something a little more stout. I could consistently flex the rear end of the Trance and bottom out its travel. I knew going in that the rip would be heavier. I have the four star build with the XO1 drivetrain and the new Fox 34 Talas 140-110. I only have about 50 miles on the rip, but it is what I thought. A stiffer, heavier, version of the Trance. That is a good thing. It pedals as well or better. Climbs better (for me) and is a fearless descender. It is also two pounds heavier. For ME the trade off is worth it. Again, not to offend anyone, but if you are going to put a 32mm stanchion fork on a rip, I think you would be better off with a Jet with a 32 120mm fork. If the weight is less important and you ride hard, do yourself a favor and go with a bigger fork, stiffer wheels and appropriate rubber and flog that beast!
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

Space Ghost
    Forgot. My Trance was 27.3 lbs, no carbon. My RIP is 29 lbs, no carbon. Neither bike has a dropper post. The giant had one that I took off. Also, I am 6' 185-190 before gear. I ride a large and like the extra room. Currently running a 90mm 0 deg Thomson with a 740 hi rise atlas bar.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach417 View Post
    Also, I am 6' 185-190 before gear. I ride a large and like the extra room.
    I am right in that same range, ok.. maybe a few pounds more depending on what I ate and drank the week prior. Anyways, I didn't feel like the bike was too big for me at all but I just want to try the medium to be certain. The bike was easy to pop up and all around just felt good.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have both a Rip9 RDO & the latest Rip9 Alloy.

780 Niner bar, 50mm stem.
    Ergon grips
    XX1 group, 28 tooth front ring.
    Reverb dropper seat.
    Wtb Ti rail seat.

My Rip9 Alloy has
    X Fusion Trace fork 140mm
    711 Easten Haven bars. 80mm Easton Haven stem
    ODI Grips
    XT Brakes, with 180mm rotors front & back
    X9 crank ( polished )with 26 tooth Wolf tooth front ring.
    X01 cassette, derailleur & shifter.
    I9/ Flow wheel set with Nobby Nic's or Hope pro2/Flow EX wheel set with Hans Dumpf's

I ride a Lge & I'm 6' on the button & 180 lb
    I run my seat at 800mm high.

I have 2 friends with Med Rip9 RDO's & I can ride them fine but have a lot of seat post showing & I just like the Lge better. ( friends are 5'10 )

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    I just demoed a RIP on Saturday (Alum, not the RDO) and loved it. I am just about 6' tall (maybe 5'11.5") and want to try the medium frame out to see which fit I like better (demo was a large). I also want to try the RDO once I figure out my size to see if I want to cough up the extra cash. I am not completely set on the Niner yet, still going to demo other brands/models, but I do like the bang for my buck value and the ride on the RIP was really nice. The weight difference between the carbon RDO and aluminum versions isn't huge so I may just stick with aluminum.

As far as the build I would have in mind for the RIP, it would look a lot like yours muzzanic. The Pike fork is on my definite list. I also would prefer the 28 tooth front ring for some extra help up the hill, the demo was a 32 and I huffed a bit. The shop I am building my new bike with suggested the I9's as well. I did like the reverb but it was also my first day using a dropper so I can't really judge that yet and have also heard good things about the KS Lev. I am coming off a HT so whatever I end up with is going to open new doors for my riding.

I eat cats
    Thanks, muzz.. I have a feeling that I will prefer the large as well but when throwing down this much coin I might as well be certain. The LBS didn't even charge me for the demo this past weekend but if/when they do charge me the $60 fee for other demoes it just gets bankrolled into the build so +/-. I have a sneaky suspicion that I am going to be finding myself building up a RIP very soon.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Thanks, muzz.. I have a feeling that I will prefer the large as well but when throwing down this much coin I might as well be certain. The LBS didn't even charge me for the demo this past weekend but if/when they do charge me the $60 fee for other demoes it just gets bankrolled into the build so +/-. I have a sneaky suspicion that I am going to be finding myself building up a RIP very soon.
    Both alloy & carbon are very good bikes.

The carbon has shorter chain stays than the alloy.

I tell people that if you don't want to have to pay for the Rip9 RDO then don't test ride it.

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Both alloy & carbon are very good bikes.

The carbon has shorter chain stays than the alloy.

I tell people that if you don't want to have to pay for the Rip9 RDO then don't test ride it.
    Ahhhhhhh.. you just threw me into an abyss. I did not know it had shorter chain stays. At this point, what's another ~$800?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Ahhhhhhh.. you just threw me into an abyss. I did not know it had shorter chain stays. At this point, what's another ~$800?
    Yes don't get me wrong, The new Alloy Rip9 is an awesome bike.

However the RDO just trumps it a little, Everywhere.

I built a new Rip9 Alloy for a friend's son & they well & truly had the money to go RDO, But he is just a little to ruff, So we went Alloy with 1x11 group.

I also built a Rip9 RDO with 1x 11 for his mother at the same time, She rode mine & there was no coming back from there.

I eat cats
    I am going to email the LBS dude and see if he can get me the RDO to demo now. Funny thing is, I told my wife I would be happy going the cheaper alloy route and she said "yeah, but in 6 months you will be pissed you didn't just get the carbon." While she knows absolutely nothing about bikes, I like her logic! Plus I bought her an expensive purse for Christmas so that's that.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I am going to email the LBS dude and see if he can get me the RDO to demo now. Funny thing is, I told my wife I would be happy going the cheaper alloy route and she said "yeah, but in 6 months you will be pissed you didn't just get the carbon." While she knows absolutely nothing about bikes, I like her logic! Plus I bought her an expensive purse for Christmas so that's that.
    Yes my wife agrees it is cheaper to go straight for the top of the line 1st time around.

mtbr member
    I had same size concerns. Decided to get small (I am 5'9) and it fits perfect. I think it is truth that FS Niners tend to be bigger. Medium would be too big for me. Just my two cents.
    Oh, I meant to ask a question about sizing. The large felt good but I could see how a medium might be nearing my size too. I keep hearing about Niners running big and I could tell the large was big enough for me but want to feel how the medium rides as well. What size RIP (RDO and/or alum) are guys in the 5'10"-6' range riding? I know that there are other factors like long legs, short legs, no legs, whatever.. just curious for some feedback. (Building a new bike is fun and stressful)

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm 5'11" 180 lbs. and ride a large Rip 9 Alloy. Ride and fit are great for me with a 70 MM stem, though I haven't ridden a medium to compare. I'm on the lookout though...may try to demo a medium when the snow melts to see if I'm missing anything.