mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Rip9 RDO lowers shock mount play

My lower shock mount seems to have some side to side play...as if the width where the shock bolts to the frame is too wide. This causes the rear end to not feel solid and also causes a clunk. If I take off the top shock mount, the play at the bottom mount is really obvious. Anyone else experiencing this? I guess I'll spin by Niner tomorrow

mtbr member
    My Jet 9 RDO's shock bolts constantly keep loosening and I start getting that clunk. I'm pretty sure you probably already checked this but have you checked that the torque is up to spec?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    yup, the bolt is torque to spec (12nm). I suspect the shock bushing axle is not flush with the sides of mount (on the frame). I'll post back what Niner says.

mtbr member
    Yeah let us know. It would be good to know if there is an upgrade for these bushings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This is why I bought a Niner! Ralph swapped out the lower shock bushings with a slightly wider one. No frame/company is perfect...it's how they handle issues that matter.

mtbr member
    Awesome!!! Now....., I just noticed the the Niner encyclopedia states that all CVA model shock mounts should be torqued to 6nM. That,s what I torque mine to and it keeps coming loose. Do you know if Niner has changed this spec to 12NM instead like they have in the past with other torque specs?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    12NM is printed on the shock bolts on my Rip9 RDO. Niner upped the recommended torq spec on the Jet9 RDO (v1) to 8 or 9 NM...at least for the pivots. I'd also use some blue lock-tite.

mtbr member

Re: Rip9 RDO lowers shock mount play

Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    12NM is printed on the shock bolts on my Rip9 RDO. Niner upped the recommended torq spec on the Jet9 RDO (v1) to 8 or 9 NM...at least for the pivots. I'd also use some blue lock-tite.
    My pivot bolts would back out constantly until I added blue loctite and upped the torque to 9 nm