mtbr member

RIP9 - Protection underneath?

So i maybe have a 100 miles or so on the RIP and i am noticing some troubling damage to the lower pivot point. What really has me nervous are the direct shots to the pivot point where i think if it keeps up will bind up the bearing??

clearly, i see i need to extend the stay protection up where the chain has already taken some paint, but is there anything i can do to protect the pivot point? my last ride, i decided to watch out for specific situations that will hit it - end up hitting in a totally crazy spot where i didnt expect it - not sure if avoidance is going to be the answer...

i guess the other part of my question is what happens if you do screw up this pivot? guessing the frame is toast? buy a new rear triangle? ugh....

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    This should provide some piece of mind.

lamer
    Quote Originally Posted by tri-tele View Post
    This should provide some piece of mind.
    Definitely get one of cytoe's plates. I've got one of my Jet 9 RDO.

mtbr member
    wow - that is exactly what i needed - i wish i had put it on before it took these shots... ultra is on its way - many thanks!

mtbr member
    i was just reading more on these skid plates - cytoe can use these photos for what happens in just a few rides without one of his plates.... i would think that should certainly sell a few...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    +1 on the cytoe bash plates.
    Have over two years with one on RIP9 - Plenty of bashing and only light surface damage to actual plate.

One UD Lite should arrive any day to be attached to the new Jet RDO.

Exceptional value considering the cost of replacing linkage bits

oops...uh...sorry to bring that up fatpig :
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
    John Wayne

mtbr member
    Just a quick update - super fast delivery (didnt realize he was out of ft collins... 10 miles from my house...) - awesome service though for sure!!

Just slapped it on.... clearance looks good with the chainrings. i guess the only thing i am worried about is having it flap around since its somewhat flexible and only connected by the water bottle mounts. weather went crappy today, hopefully i will get out again in a couple of days with a report...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey Fatpig, judging form from scrapes you like technical riding. Let me know if you'd like to go for a ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Don't worry about it flapping around. I have one on my Jet9 RDO and it is silent. I live in AZ with lots of flying rocks and it has worked great. It is almost flush with the bottom of my single 32 tooth ring so it gets lots of hits.

trail "cleaner"
    Quote Originally Posted by fatpig View Post
    Just a quick update - super fast delivery (didnt realize he was out of ft collins... 10 miles from my house...) - awesome service though for sure!!

Just slapped it on.... clearance looks good with the chainrings. i guess the only thing i am worried about is having it flap around since its somewhat flexible and only connected by the water bottle mounts. weather went crappy today, hopefully i will get out again in a couple of days with a report...

It'll make some noise when the going gets rough but the protection it provides out weighs that slight draw back. The units Cytoe makes for the JET RDO are completely silent as they have a significant gap between the link and the guard. Niner should make these as part of the OEM package.
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    As glad as i am a guy like cytoe can make a couple extra bucks making a quality product - i totally agree that niner should include some kind of bash guard - you buy a full susp frame for a couple-few grand - you should expect a little more to help make it last....

it may seem to be counter-intuitive, but i think its even in niner's best interest. i was really worried that i made a bad choice in that there must be something wrong with this frame. i might have destroyed it in a year and swore off niner forever - even though i would have very likely had the exact same problem with a SC, pivot...whatever...

mtbr member

Re: RIP9 - Protection underneath?

Agreed. I have one of these on my RIP9 alloy as well. Looks like Niner has it spec'd on the new RIP RDO carbon, though.

I wonder if they will add it to future RIP and JET RDO frames as well.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I saw this link last week and the plate was just what I wanted for my new Niner Jet carbon. I was busy and thought I would just buy it later. Now, the link just says that the product ad is no longer on MTBR. Anyone know where/if I can still pick one up? I have tried searching Google but no luck, maybe bad key words. Any help is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pemberton View Post
    I saw this link last week and the plate was just what I wanted for my new Niner Jet carbon. I was busy and thought I would just buy it later. Now, the link just says that the product ad is no longer on MTBR. Anyone know where/if I can still pick one up? I have tried searching Google but no luck, maybe bad key words. Any help is appreciated.
    Hmm...not sure what happened to my ad. I'll repost it tonight if I can't get it back

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks, Cytoe. If you have any problems with the ad, just PM me and we will work something out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Don't know what happened to my original add...it apparently got deleted. Here's my new ad: http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=83653

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Trigger pulled. Thanks, cytoe. I am still in ski mode, but starting to get excited for riding season!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I've been running one of Cytoe's original bash plates for the Rip 9 for almost 3-12 yrs and it has held up very well. And the bottom linkage is still perfect. I would definitely recommend one of his plates.

trail "cleaner"

even the super duty bash plates have limited lifetime

When you're riding the super chunk here in AZ... even the ultra thick plates eventually fail.... Time to order a new one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RIP9 - Protection underneath?-img_1664%5B1%5D.jpg  

RIP9 - Protection underneath?-img_1665%5B1%5D.jpg  

No dabs allowed!