mtbr member
    Feb 2010

RIP9 and FSA K-Force Light 2x9 (29/44t)

hi,
    i recently purchased a 2010 RIP9 frame and in the hope of avoiding the chainsuck/clearance issues that have been posted here purchased the FSA K-Force Light 2x9 (29/44t) double. the problem is the 44t ring hits the chainstay when installed. thus no clearance whatsoever. if anyone has a simple and cheap solution please post or will i need to buy new cranks. thanks in advance!

Carbon & Ti rule
    Hi

Yes bad move.

The Sram 26/39 works great & that is the way you should go IMO

If the chain suck was a problem with 44 on the outer ring going 44 & moving it in was never going to work & even if it did it would be a bad combo for a 29er.

I really like My Rip9 with a double front ring setup & have used a heap of different sizes but have to say that the 26/39 covers most trails just fine.

What are the rest of the gears you are using ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    however, all my other components are 9sp. thus, i don't want to purchase a new 10sp crankset and other 10sp components. can't the FSA outer 44t be replaced with something else?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by rondet
    however, all my other components are 9sp. thus, i don't want to purchase a new 10sp crankset and other 10sp components. can't the FSA outer 44t be replaced with something else?
    Not sure which FSA cranks you have (must be the K-FORCE LIGHT 2X9 MEGAEXO based on your ring sizes), but it looks like the model you have only comes in 29/44 or 29/42. The FSA K-FORCE LIGHT 386 MEGAEXO comes in 27/40 or 27/42. Yours has a BCD of 94mm and the other FSA 2 x 9 set has a 86mm BCD - so you can't call FSA to get the smaller rings for your crankset. Are the rings proprietary on the FSA crank you have, or can you use other rings with their bolt hole pattern design? If you can use other 94mm 4 bolt rings - swap out the 44T for something smaller to see if that works. Give FSA a call - or go to their website and read the technical manuals on the crankset you own. At the very least, I'm sure they'd sell you a 42 (but I doubt that would solve the issue).

Regardless, I would have avoided anything over a 40T on the RIP for a triple crank (let alone a double) after reading that clearance thread. If going to a dedicated, purpose designed 2 x 9, I would have gone even smaller than a 40T since the outer ring usually sits in closer than on a triple.

Niner claims no problem, but isn't it interesting that the 2011 RIP's have a redesigned yoke/chainstay clearance area...

I hate to say it, but you may be stuck selling the FSA and buying another crankset proven to work on the 2009/10 Rip model if rings cannot be substituted out for the original FSA 29/44 rings.

BB
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 09-28-2010 at 05:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    thanks brucebrown. i have the K-FORCE LIGHT 2X9 MEGAEXO 94mm bcd with FSA chainrings (29/44t) and the only other fsa outer chainring available is the 42t, which probably will not make a diff anyway and i am not sure what else i can use. i did have a spare truvativ noir crankset which i have just installed and there is a huge amount of clearance which solves that problem however will have to ride it to see if there is any chainsuck.

Flaccid Member
    Not what you want to hear, but get something made by TruVativ with a 51.5mm chainline in a 3x configuration. A TruVativ Stylo 3x 22-32-44 worked fine on my 2009 XL Tang RIP, with zero issues. Price Point sells them in 2009 version for $119.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm?stylePkey=14152

Carbon & Ti rule
    The 10 speed cranks will work fine with your 9 speed setup,many have done this.

26/39 works so well on a Rip9

Price point have some good prices but I have found that they rob you for freight down this end of the planet,

If you have no luck PM me & I will see if I can help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    i have had issues on other bikes running an xx crank with 9sp components which actually caused chainsuck. muzzanic are you running your xx with 9sp components, and if yes any problems?

randyboy do you know if the truvativ noir 3.3 is 51.5mm. i can't seem to find that info, because if it is i will just stick with it.

Flaccid Member
    I'd call TruVative, Price Point, or get a spec sheet on the Truvativ Noir. I would think their whole XC drive train line would be consistent with that specification being 51.5mm. I doubt they would change it, but I don't know for certain.

Carbon & Ti rule
    i have had issues on other bikes running an xx crank with 9sp components which actually caused chainsuck. muzzanic are you running your xx with 9sp components, and if yes any problems?

randyboy do you know if the truvativ noir 3.3 is 51.5mm. i can't seem to find that info, because if it is i will just stick with it.
    I have done but now im only running 10 speed.