Laker and a Trail Blazer

Rip9 drivetrain advice

So I've been getting better, faster, stronger, and way more aggressive since I've bought my rip9 almost 2years ago and my drivetrain is making it tough to ride. My chain is all over the place. Constantly dropping when I go fast and I still occasionally get chainsuck as well. I'm running a 3x9 set up(I know it's a problem, but with a 44t big ring) and I want to go 1x9. So my question is to anyone with 1x9 set up, what chain guide/bash guard set up are you using. I now have 2012 frame. TIA.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a rip 9 as well, but my drive train is X9 2x10 and when I ride rough terrain the chain has tendency to drop too. I have talked to my LBS and told me to switch to shimano XTR shadow plus and it will resolve my problem, also they talked about chain guide. for the moment I short the chain and adjust the rear derailleur screw that makes it to move towards the rear, and so fare it has work. I do not think I am going to upgrade because I am thinking in sell this bike. I know also if you go 1x9 or 1x10 you have to run 32t crank with or without chain guide, or wait for sram XX1.

Cesar

Loser
    I'm running a 3x9 set up with a bash guard and I drop my chain from the middle ring to the small ring over technical descents. I was considering a guide like the Bionocon Tensioner, but that's a lot of money ($50) for something that gets mounted in that place and looks so delicate. I keep saying I'm going to make something similar, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

The chain rarely (if ever) drops inside the granny, so in the worst case I drop my front derailleur to the granny, then shift it back up, not that big of a deal, but in some cases it can kinda stink.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Im running 1x10 with an MRP 1X chainguide. SLX crankset arms and bottom bracket with an E13 chainring, XT cassete, XT rear derailleur. Never had a problem with chainsuck. Chain came off once on a hard bumpy descent. Took a couple of links off the chain and problem solved. I go through the same descent all the time and has never happened again.

COMBO - President
    I have a RIP and a JET9 RDO. Just switched to the SRAM XO Type 2 rear derailleur on the RDO. Absolutely no chain slap, chain drop, just super quiet even bouncing down a hill. Both Shimano and SRAM have the new clutch system sin thwe rear derailleur to prevent the cage from rolling forward.

I can see that in 2 years time, all derailleurs will be this new style, there is no downside.
    Hope to meet you on the trails!

Gregg Soster
    Central Ohio Mountain Biking Organization - President

mtbr member
    Basically same system on my RIP except I'm running a SRAM X9 rear derailleur with XT cassette and I've had absolutely zero issues.

Quote Originally Posted by danvar View Post
    Im running 1x10 with an MRP 1X chainguide. SLX crankset arms and bottom bracket with an E13 chainring, XT cassete, XT rear derailleur. Never had a problem with chainsuck. Chain came off once on a hard bumpy descent. Took a couple of links off the chain and problem solved. I go through the same descent all the time and has never happened again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FASTK View Post
    I can see that in 2 years time, all derailleurs will be this new style, there is no downside.
    Agreed, having spent quite a bit of time with a Shimano Shadow Plus and now having tried the Type 2 from Sram I can't see any reason to ever use a rear mech without this feature. Interesting to see that the new Sram XX1 will use this technology (obviously) and that there will be no "non type 2" option. The future is here now.

mtbr member
    Having used both, have you noticed any differences in performance or functionality between Shimano and SRAM. I've read a couple of posts that the SRAM Type 2 requires less force at the trigger than the Shimano Plus?

Quote Originally Posted by WayDownSouth View Post
    Agreed, having spent quite a bit of time with a Shimano Shadow Plus and now having tried the Type 2 from Sram I can't see any reason to ever use a rear mech without this feature. Interesting to see that the new Sram XX1 will use this technology (obviously) and that there will be no "non type 2" option. The future is here now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've had way more time on the Shimano (XTR) than the Sram (just a short ride) and to be quite honest I didn't really notice much difference. The Sram was set up with Gore cables and the lever feel seemed "normal" as compared to the non type 2 / 6 month old cables setup on one of my other bikes. Maybe it takes a little more effort on the Shadow Plus but that's after a few months of use on conventional Shimano cables. Personally I prefer it to non Shadow Plus Shimano which I find too light, particularly in the rough stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Laker and a Trail Blazer
    Strongly considering starting with the type 2 and not getting a chain guide yet. I'll see if it helps. The chain dropping to the small ring and then get stuck between there and the frame. Happens everytime I fly down technical rocks. This the main problem.
    Last edited by Broncstad; 07-19-2012 at 01:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    1x9. 30t ring. 11-34 cassette. x7 short cage. MRP guide. skid plate. zero issues

Laker and a Trail Blazer
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderPar View Post
    1x9. 30t ring. 11-34 cassette. x7 short cage. MRP guide. skid plate. zero issues
    Sweet!

Keep on Rockin...
    Running a 2x9, a 22-32t, with all the slack removed from the chain. I bounce it hard over very rocky trails and never once dropped a chain or had chain suck.

Laker and a Trail Blazer
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Running a 2x9, a 22-32t, with all the slack removed from the chain. I bounce it hard over very rocky trails and never once dropped a chain or had chain suck.
    Is the derailleur a long cage?

Keep on Rockin...

Yes...

Quote Originally Posted by Broncstad View Post
    Is the derailleur a long cage?
    It's an oler SRAM X9, long cage. I have a medium cage too and thought it would work out better, but since there are zero issues with this one, on it stayed for almost a whole season without issue.

My next change to the drive train will be to put on the 34t i have up front when the 32 wears out.

Funny, I almost did not buy a RIP as I heard a lot of talk about chain "stuck", but have had no issues with the drive train. Actually, the bike has been very trouble free and I'm very happy with it.