mtbr member
    Jun 2013

RIP9 build, fork opinions needed

Hello all, i've enjoyed reading the forum for a long time.

I recently picked up a 2011 clearance RIP9 frame for a good price and planned to slowly build it up over this season and have it trail ready first of next year. I'm currently riding a 2006 Cannondale Prophet that has served me well. Many upgrades on that bike will move over to my Niner-X9 front/rear, shifters, XT brakes, thompson seatpost, etc.

So really i just need a wheelset and a fork and if I can get both for under a $1000 total, i can get this thing on the trail!

The new Pike sounds great, but that would have to wait until next year and delay the build. In the mean time, i've been browsing forks, new & used in the $300-$600 range. I'd like some opinions on what you guys think of the following:

New: White Bros Loop ~ $600
    Manitou Tower Pro 140~ $500
    X-fusion Slide RL2 120 ~$300

used: Revelation 140 ~$500-$600
    Fox Float 34 140 ~$500-$600

Right now i'm leaning toward a used Revelation. I ride around the Atlanta area and usually make it up to north Ga 1x a month. Thoughts?

Loser
    I have the White Bros Loop and really can't say anything bad about it. I was in a similar situation to you - I could have waited to afford a Fox or bought a Loop right away. I was not happy with the Fox that was on my RIP - I never used up all the travel even with the sag set to ridiculous levels.

I felt like I was slumming it a bit buying the Loop, but after riding it for just about a whole season, I don't feel like that at all - it works great, no diving and I used up all my travel probably 2 or 3 times on a tough ride. I think I felt it bottom out once, and even then it wasn't harsh. I ride in the NE US where the trails are very technical, tons of rocks and roots.

Its definitely saved my bacon a few times when I hit a rock at an awkward angle, times where I feel like if I was on the Fox I would have been doing the superman thing.

Universal Cycles was the cheapest place I found using their 15% off coupon:
    "hotjuly15": Take 15% off orders over $300

I have friends who swear by the Fox34 and I'm sure its a nice fork, but I can't believe its $500 nicer. I have a friend with the Manitou, he likes it, but I honestly think he's got it set up completely wrong (he never uses more than half the travel in the fork). I was considering that Slide, but it wasn't out when I was looking.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

Carbon & Ti rule
    I would go for the Slide & put more money into your wheels.

All the other forks are good forks ( I have tried them )

There will be a heap of second hand Fox 34 forks soon, There are a heap of people on this forum not happy with them & are going to upgrade to the Pike.

The Pike is a stand out fork IMO & much better than the ones listed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Muzzanic- I was thinking this as well. Go cheaper on the fork but with better wheels and upgrade to a Pike this time next year. Is there a 140mm version of the X-fusion? I don't think i have seen one.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by DR.BG View Post
    Muzzanic- I was thinking this as well. Go cheaper on the fork but with better wheels and upgrade to a Pike this time next year. Is there a 140mm version of the X-fusion? I don't think i have seen one.
    I'm sure there is.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I just finished a very similar build, and I went with a Manitou Tower Pro (120mm, 15mm) and SRAM Rise 40 wheels. I got a ridiculous deal on the SRAM wheelset, but you can easily come in under $1000 new or used; probably closer to $600-700 if you're willing to buy used. It's a fairly light setup- I was able to get my entire bike to around 28-29 lbs.

I only have a few rides on the bike so far, but I couldn't be happier.

mtbr member

RIP9 build, fork opinions needed

Just FYI - I'm selling my 2014 Fox 34. About 50 miles on it. If you wanna save a couple Hu Fred off retail on a brand new fork, message me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

mtbr member
    The tower pro is a very underrated fork IMHO. Its not the best fork out there, but it cannot be beat for the money. You will not find a fork with better small bump compliance. It is a little flexy when under hard braking, but it is not really an issue that limits what you can do on the fork.

You can usually find it for around $400. Here is what a quick search on ebay revealed. It has a pretty high axle to crown height so not sure what the 140mm would be like, but I'm sure you can find the 120 tapered for close to $400.

New Manitou Tower Pro 29 140mm White Tapered Steerer QR15 Free SHIP | eBay

Carbon & Ti rule
    They are very under rated, I have 1 on my END & my wife has 1 on her Air9 RDO, I also have a friend with the 140mm on his Rip9.

I quite like the fork.

The small bump compliance is very good, But the Pike is better but is in a different price bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by brightsky View Post
    The tower pro is a very underrated fork IMHO. Its not the best fork out there, but it cannot be beat for the money. You will not find a fork with better small bump compliance. It is a little flexy when under hard braking, but it is not really an issue that limits what you can do on the fork.

You can usually find it for around $400. Here is what a quick search on ebay revealed. It has a pretty high axle to crown height so not sure what the 140mm would be like, but I'm sure you can find the 120 tapered for close to $400.

New Manitou Tower Pro 29 140mm White Tapered Steerer QR15 Free SHIP | eBay

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the info everyone. I'll definitely look into the Tower Pro a little more.

Loser
    I was just looking at the X-Fusion stuff, I thought I'd throw it out there that you definitely want a thru-axle on whatever fork you get - it makes a huge difference. I just noticed the cheaper X-Fusion forks are QR.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    I was just looking at the X-Fusion stuff, I thought I'd throw it out there that you definitely want a thru-axle on whatever fork you get - it makes a huge difference. I just noticed the cheaper X-Fusion forks are QR.
    Thanks, I overlooked the QR on the X-fusion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I've been very happy with my Revelation RCT3. I demoed the Tower Pro at one point and thought it was super plush but bobbed too much for my taste. I found myself wishing for a remote lockout. At the same price, I'd take a used Revelation in good shape.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I just bought this for my Rip 9. I couldn't be happier. It's fantastic and the price is unbeatable.

Rock Shox Revelation RL 29" Dual Air 1.5" Taper 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Epic Expert Carbon 650b
    Karate Monkey SS
    Sette Razzo

Carbon & Ti rule
    They are pretty good, I brought 3 of them 6 months ago when they had them at $325 US

Then 4 weeks later they dropped the the RCT3 down to $393 US so I ended up buying a couple of those & Sold the RL's.

So I agree they are a nice fork but the RCT3 is a bit better & then the Pike is way ahead of both of them, But a lot more money to.

Quote Originally Posted by GChambers View Post
    I just bought this for my Rip 9. I couldn't be happier. It's fantastic and the price is unbeatable.

Rock Shox Revelation RL 29" Dual Air 1.5" Taper 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com