Carbon & Ti rule

Rip9 Alloy with XX1

I have been helping a friend build up a Rip9 Alloy ( Well 2 of them,His 13 year old son is getting 1 to.)

As I have lots of parts hanging around I offered to build it up in lots of different specs, So he could try first.

He has only been riding MTB's for 5 months so didn't have much of an Idea what worked for him.

We started off with Sram X9 2x10 with 22/36 front rings & 11-36 rear cassette & have ended up with Sram XX1 with 28 tooth front ring ( We are doing some steep climbs & he doesn't have much bike fittness)

We have tried many wheels & forks & the finished build will have I9 wheels & a 130mm Reverlation fork, I'm fitting the fork in the next hour before our ride today.

He is 5'11 & 205 Ib & the bike is a Med.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rip9 Alloy with XX1-mikes-rip9-007.jpg  

Rip9 Alloy with XX1-mikes-rip9-003.jpg  

Rip9 Alloy with XX1-mikes-rip9-005.jpg  

mtbr member
    You should open a bike shop with those customer service skills :P But really nice choice of components on there. Would love to see his son's bike when/if it's ready as well!

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have just about got it finished, He will be ridding it in about an hour.

This 1 has got 2x10 on it.

Not a good pic but here it is.

The Dad maybe about to loose his as his wife did here 1st Mtb ride & in the forest, She want's to keep it.

He has been riding 1 of my Jet9 RDO's & may end up getting a new bike, We will find out tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rip9 Alloy with XX1-elliots-rip9-001.jpg  

Rip9 Alloy with XX1-elliots-rip9-005.jpg  

Always Learning
    Nice. I guess the XX1 with a 28T would pretty much remove all chances of any chain stuck for sure.

Looks good.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yes it would take 3 chains to fill that gap.

That said the way the XX1 is working even if the gap was as small as it would be with a large tripple ring I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Nice. I guess the XX1 with a 28T would pretty much remove all chances of any chain stuck for sure.

Looks good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Nice build.... just ordered the XX1 for the new rip9 alloy.... will be here and on the bike this week... if it would only stop raining....was an XLT guy forever...did the XT nough said. The xx1 11 speed will take it up a notch for me... old man rider here that still has a hell of a time slowing down.... still falling and still bleeding to beat the band so everything is perfect. With the xx1 - you don't fall as much or that's what I told my girl friend....Ummm, NEXT!

Stay Vertical out there...

Carbon & Ti rule
    I'm sure you will love that bike & the XX1 is so good as well.

What Fork, brakes etc are you going with ?

Quote Originally Posted by Espo61 View Post
    Nice build.... just ordered the XX1 for the new rip9 alloy.... will be here and on the bike this week... if it would only stop raining....was an XLT guy forever...did the XT nough said. The xx1 11 speed will take it up a notch for me... old man rider here that still has a hell of a time slowing down.... still falling and still bleeding to beat the band so everything is perfect. With the xx1 - you don't fall as much or that's what I told my girl friend....Ummm, NEXT!

Stay Vertical out there...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    rock shox revelation RCT solor air 130mm 15mm mount, XT 785's they are the best for the $$... I wish I had this bike 25 years ago...you just can't ride this thing slow...

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Espo61 View Post
    rock shox revelation RCT solor air 130mm 15mm mount, XT 785's they are the best for the $$... I wish I had this bike 25 years ago...you just can't ride this thing slow...
    That would make it a nice bike for sure.

Rip9's have a habbit or lifting your riding so much.

Xt brakes sure are great bang for your buck.