Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Loser
    Reputation: Jisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,813

    RIP9 alloy - front derailleur issues?

    I got the wrong derailleur for my bike the first time around.

    I got the correct one (Shimano XT 780) today. If I position it where its in the correct place to shift between the granny and middle (I'm running a 2x9 set up) the pivot on the back of the derailleur is hitting into the seat tube. I cant' seem to find the magic spot where it shifts and there's not interference.

    I can't believe I'm saying this, but give me a derailleur that mounts with a clamp any day.

    Any help?
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

  2. #2
    Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Reputation: kwarwick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    I got the wrong derailleur for my bike the first time around.

    I got the correct one (Shimano XT 780) today. If I position it where its in the correct place to shift between the granny and middle (I'm running a 2x9 set up) the pivot on the back of the derailleur is hitting into the seat tube. I cant' seem to find the magic spot where it shifts and there's not interference.

    I can't believe I'm saying this, but give me a derailleur that mounts with a clamp any day.

    Any help?
    Are you sure you got the correct one? I think the direct mount version of the M786 is what you want for a two ring setup*. I run the clamp version of this derailleur along with M785 crankset in a 2x9 configuration on my 2011 RIP 9 and it works beautifully.

    * I should note that the M786 is specially designed for the M785 crankset so perhaps not appropriate for a three ring crankset that has been converted to two by removing the large ring.
    Last edited by kwarwick; 08-08-2013 at 02:28 PM. Reason: additional info

  3. #3
    Loser
    Reputation: Jisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,813
    First - I am not 100% sure I got the right one. :-D

    After thinking about this, I think I know the answer! Adding the spacer in to move the chainline out. Doh!

    Kwarwick - thanks for the post - completely different issue, but your post made me think about this differently!

    Just added the spacer to the BB, shifts perfectly now, no interference. I need to slow down and think about things more - had a ride planned last night and rushed through it.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

  4. #4
    Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Reputation: kwarwick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,020
    Glad you figured it out. I was thinking after I posted that ring position was likely the problem if you were bottoming out the derailleur. So yeah, adding a spacer under the drive side BB cup would make sense. Assuming you're using Shimano cranks with a 73mm BB shell they spec one spacer on the drive side unless you are using a BB mounted derailleur.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    38
    Glad this was posted today. I'm having trouble finding the part number i need for the front derailleur on my 2011 Rip 9. Is it clamp style or direct mount? Im looking at getting something basic as i dont do a lot of shifting in the front. If someone can point me to what i need, i would greatly appreciate it!

    I think this is what i need----> Shimano FD-M781 Front Derailleur > Components > Drivetrain > Front Derailleurs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

  6. #6
    Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Reputation: kwarwick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,020
    Quote Originally Posted by DR.BG View Post
    Glad this was posted today. I'm having trouble finding the part number i need for the front derailleur on my 2011 Rip 9. Is it clamp style or direct mount? Im looking at getting something basic as i dont do a lot of shifting in the front. If someone can point me to what i need, i would greatly appreciate it!

    I think this is what i need----> Shimano FD-M781 Front Derailleur > Components > Drivetrain > Front Derailleurs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Yeap, FD-M781 is the correct one for the previous generation RIP 9 alloy if you are running a 3 ring crankset. For 2 ring cranksets FD-M786 is what you want. The current (just released) RIP 9 alloy switched to direct mount, but all the previous generations used clamp mount.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    Yeap, FD-M781 is the correct one for the previous generation RIP 9 alloy if you are running a 3 ring crankset. For 2 ring cranksets FD-M786 is what you want. The current (just released) RIP 9 alloy switched to direct mount, but all the previous generations used clamp mount.
    Ok, thanks. I didnt realize they switched from clamp to direct.

Similar Threads

  1. 3x9 front derailleur on a 3x8 setup (to solve rockhopper 29 front shift issues)
    By samandkimberly in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-15-2013, 04:37 AM
  2. I need a new front derailleur for RIP9
    By Hiebs915 in forum 29er Components
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-23-2013, 02:16 PM
  3. Compatable xt front derailleur on rip9
    By RJWW in forum Niner Bikes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-05-2012, 08:44 AM
  4. Tracer VP / X9 Front Derailleur / Issues
    By xnofriendsx in forum Intense
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-12-2011, 11:09 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-05-2011, 08:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •