mtbr member

RIP or WFO, which gen?

Between myself and family we have a lot of niners. 2 v2.0 Jets, a couple EMD's, Scandium AIR etc. I like Niner because I can find used frames and we are always on a budget. I have a Canfield Yelli Screamy that I love, but have decided I need to update that bike to full suspension. I ride in central texas, and this bike is for the more technical trails, whereas my Jet and Carbon hardtail are for racing. I see a lot of v1.1 WFO frames come up for relatively cheap. So that's tempting. But I hear that frame is not the best, and the v2 WFO is a big improvement. Really a RIP is probably best for my area and intended usage, but RIP frames seem to be harder to find, and more expensive. So, I'm asking for guidance. Is the v1.1 WFO too much bike for this geo and not good enough to consider, even for low $$? I don't think I can afford a v2 WFO. For the RIP, is the difference between v2.0 to v2.1 (latest? I wish Niner would update encylopedia) as big as the difference between current WFO and previous?
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

Underskilled
    I'm on a V1 WFO and love it. Very good technical climber that flies downhill and is happy with multiple meter drops.

It's also fun to ride as you need to throw it in to every corner..
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    You can pick up a complete Rip 9 from Price Point still, and part off the stuff you don't want, and still come up pretty cheap. If you ride a large, I have a Rip 9 frame that I need to find a home for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    You can pick up a complete Rip 9 from Price Point still, and part off the stuff you don't want, and still come up pretty cheap. If you ride a large, I have a Rip 9 frame that I need to find a home for.
    Yeah, I browse Price Point, but all those deals are always smalls and mediums. I'm 6'3" with 36" inseam, so ride XL's. Having read the several threads about RIP sizing I guess I can undstand that I could ride a Large, but only having riden XL's I'm uncertain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant View Post
    I'm on a V1 WFO and love it. Very good technical climber that flies downhill and is happy with multiple meter drops.

It's also fun to ride as you need to throw it in to every corner..
    While there are a few places around here that have downhill sections, do you think it would be a mistake to own a v1 WFO if most of the locomotion comes from pedalling instead of gravity?

Members who have read this thread: 1