Space Ghost

RIP & ROS review

My first Niner

My next Niner

I loved my old RIP, but the new one is better in every way. I figured I would give an updated review now that I have had it for 6-7 months. It is a size large alloy four star build (X01 1x11, Talas 140-110mm, Flow Ex). I changed out the Trail brakes that it came with for my tried and true XT's. The bike weighs about 29 lbs. and the weight is less of a concern than the lack of torque produced from the motor! I came off a Trance X29, that I really felt was more of a longer travel XC bike.

Loved the Maestro suspension and the bike was fine, but in my trips to the mountains, I felt the bike was a bit flexy and undergunned. I know bigger, better riders are killing it on tougher trails with the same bike, but I wanted something a bit more stout.

The RIP is all I knew it would be. A bit of extra work on the climbs (weight/tires), but oh so sweet on the descents. Just got back a couple weeks ago from a trip to Pisgah (Bent Creek actually) and DuPont. After 3.5 days of riding, I finished with over 80 miles and almost 12,000 ft. of climbing. I know that is nothing for some of you, but I reside in central Florida! My home trails are Alafia, Carter, Boyette, Santos, with trips to Amelia and Markham for reference.

I am a big fan of 1x11 drivetrains, but I certainly wished for more leg on a lot of the climbs. If I recall correctly, some were 17% grade (again, a LOT for a flatlander). The CVA suspension is still my favorite. It pedals great and only on the very long fire road climbs did I switch on the pro pedal. If you are not riding a 34mm fork or bigger on a longer travel bike, you are missing out. I was going to put a Pike on the bike, but feel it wouldn't be that big of an improvement over the 2014 Talas. I have no brand loyalty, I just like stuff that works, and the Talas does. Shimano brakes continue to impress for their value, ease of set-up, maintenance, and above all, performance. I am a bit of a bike 'HO, so I won't make any wild claims about this bike being the end all be all, but it certainly has a comfortable spot in my garage.
    Next up; the ROS
    Just a crappie garage pic for now.

I only have 25 miles on the ROS. I got it to fill the void in my heart after I stupidly sold my gen. 1 Nimble 9. I have done this several times in my bike buying past. Had a SS, sold it, missed it, built another. I am not a big fan of the new Nimble and several guys around me have them, so I figured I would look into the ROS. I got a great deal on the frame and fork and built the rest. I am still messing with the set up, but so far pleased with the results. Handles technical single track very well. Love the Revelation. Didn't want to spend the extra $ on a Pike, and so far it is what I need. We will see once I start pushing it. I ride my SS on all the trails I ride my RIP on. My one concern was/is the Biocentric. The simplicity of the set up is great ..if it holds. I have had most tensioning methods and only liked sliders. So far the Bio has slipped on both rides. BUT, I used pipe dope and may have had too much, so I took it apart, cleaned it and put a lighter application. Riding today to test it, so we will see. I like the bike enough to keep fiddling with the Bio until I get it right. As long as it is right VERY soon. If anyone is interested the ROS is a lg. and it weighed 6.25 lbs with only the seat collar installed. It was just shy of 7 with the headset, maxle, bio, and seat collar installed. As built up, it is 26.75 with Arch EX, Profile Racing Elite hubs, X-King 2.4 rr/Nobby Nic 2.35 fr tubeless.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

Carbon & Ti rule
    Good to see I'm only 1 of many bike Ho's

Thanks for your review

Space Ghost
    I knew you would be along. And my theory is admitting I have a problem is half the battle. I will work on a cure later. After today's ride, I swapped out the atlas bars I had for the wider Niner bars that came with the RIP. Also shortened the stem to a 70. Don't want to go shorter, it will cramp my cockpit too much. Bio centric held today and I punished it with max torque climbs and a few drops. I am encouraged. Also picked up a PR on one of my favorite trails. Wasn't really trying, just riding fast and working the bike out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach417 View Post
    I knew you would be along. And my theory is admitting I have a problem is half the battle. I will work on a cure later. After today's ride, I swapped out the atlas bars I had for the wider Niner bars that came with the RIP. Also shortened the stem to a 70. Don't want to go shorter, it will cramp my cockpit too much. Bio centric held today and I punished it with max torque climbs and a few drops. I am encouraged. Also picked up a PR on one of my favorite trails. Wasn't really trying, just riding fast and working the bike out.

I like the green. I have the same as you but a 3 star build, Pike, and Roval carbon wheels. I have been thinking about a set of the 780 Niner Carbon bars myself. From day one I had a 60 mm stem (race face turbine) installed. I don't think I would go shorter.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Nice reviews. Is there any particular reason you didn't go for a dropper post on the RIP?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I do not have a dropper either, don't seem to have the terrain to justify it
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

Space Ghost
    I had a dropper on my Trance X and never used it. I don't feel my terrain calls for it, although a LOT of guys around here use them. Never missed it in DuPont or Pisgah either. I am currently running 29" bars on the RIP with a 90 mm 0 rise stem. I am going to try a 70mm stem with a wider bar tho. My ROS has a 30" bar and a 70mm stem.