mtbr member
    Aug 2004

RIP rear shock pressure

I haven't had a chance to measure the sag and set it up right but can you all give me an idea of what air pressures your running in the rear shock.
    I'm on an XL and weigh 225.
    This is my 1st FS bike and this whole rear suspension is new to me.
    Man this is a great bike.
    I"ll save the great review for another thread.

seeyall

MTB B'dos
    I'm on an old '08 RIP XL, weigh about 175-180lbs geared to ride and run about 110-120 PSI in my RP23. Don't know if that helps any as you said, just measure and once you've got about 9-12mm of SAG you should be fine - just use that as a guideline and adjut so it feels good to you.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

MoJo Moto
    The paper I got says that you should have .5 inch of sag( 1/4 the shock travel), with the pro peddle off...the little chart says you should be running about 160psi(riding weight 220-240 lbs)... It also says that you can multiply your riding weight(that means with gear) by .66 to come up with the psi.

But then, you can ditch the little paper and take the shock pump out riding a try a few differnet setting.... I came up with 140 psi for me..I weight 185 without the gear.

The different settings I tried never did make the bike feel bad.... so don't feel like it will ruin your ride. it's all good.

My fork is still at what ever came in the bike...So I'll still need to carry the dame pump and keep playing with it....but that's the fun of a new bike for sure

Man, do I ever love this thing.....

tootles...

moto.
    Ride Hard or Ride Home Alone.

MTB B'dos
    140 PSI and you're getting small bump compliance with that high a pressure and not getting the back end hop? What do you weigh with gear? I had to go to about there when I packed about 30-35lbs with me and weighed in around 200lbs geared up last summer.

Quote Originally Posted by motopail
    The paper I got says that you should have .5 inch of sag( 1/4 the shock travel), with the pro peddle off...the little chart says you should be running about 160psi(riding weight 220-240 lbs)... It also says that you can multiply your riding weight(that means with gear) by .66 to come up with the psi.

But then, you can ditch the little paper and take the shock pump out riding a try a few differnet setting.... I came up with 140 psi for me..I weight 185 without the gear.

The different settings I tried never did make the bike feel bad.... so don't feel like it will ruin your ride. it's all good.

My fork is still at what ever came in the bike...So I'll still need to carry the dame pump and keep playing with it....but that's the fun of a new bike for sure

Man, do I ever love this thing.....

tootles...

moto.

MoJo Moto
    Yea... I weighed myself with gear....200 lbs....

I went out last night and played with it again....with the the stupid camelback full and tools I get a 1/2" of sag on the rear.... But I can sit on the bike and get both ft and rear to drop equaly, so I can't be to far off. I have ridin with 130 psi..it did not seem to bad, but I was getting closer to 3/4 of an inch of sag. 200 x .66 comes out to 132 psi...

The little chart shows.....180-200lbs---135psi, and 200 to 220lbs---145 psi. So 140 seems to be close.

I rode in alot rocks today and it felt fine... I supose I could try 135 psi and see what it's like again, but it took 140 psi to the sag to spec.

I will say this... I hit a kicker jump today and never before have I ever felt so good jumping a MTB...and I'm an MXer, I love air.

moto...

MTB B'dos
    Yeah, the 140 PSI is about right for 200lbs, at least for how I like my RIP9 to ride. I can't think the bike would feel very good with less pressure if you're getting 3/4" SAG, although on the downs it'd prob feel real nice and plush.

Quote Originally Posted by motopail
    Yea... I weighed myself with gear....200 lbs....

I went out last night and played with it again....with the the stupid camelback full and tools I get a 1/2" of sag on the rear.... But I can sit on the bike and get both ft and rear to drop equaly, so I can't be to far off. I have ridin with 130 psi..it did not seem to bad, but I was getting closer to 3/4 of an inch of sag. 200 x .66 comes out to 132 psi...

The little chart shows.....180-200lbs---135psi, and 200 to 220lbs---145 psi. So 140 seems to be close.

I rode in alot rocks today and it felt fine... I supose I could try 135 psi and see what it's like again, but it took 140 psi to the sag to spec.

I will say this... I hit a kicker jump today and never before have I ever felt so good jumping a MTB...and I'm an MXer, I love air.

moto...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks for the info.
    I still haven't found any sort of chart with PSI's so thanks.
    A friend at the trailhead pumped it up to 135 and told me to see how that feels.
    Didn't feel as plush but coming from 5 years of hardtail only I'm not sure how plush its supposed to be.
    I did measure the sag at 5/8 of an inch so I guess I should increase it a little.
    It's just amazes me at how little effort it now takes to get up rooted out hills.
    Before I'd have to man handle the bike and shift the weight constantly to go over stuff.
    Now I can just sit and pedal.
    My 44 year old body is thanking me.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by liltommy
    I haven't had a chance to measure the sag and set it up right but can you all give me an idea of what air pressures your running in the rear shock.
    I'm on an XL and weigh 225.
    This is my 1st FS bike and this whole rear suspension is new to me.
    Man this is a great bike.
    I"ll save the great review for another thread.

seeyall

You should try it around 50 to 65% of your riding weight. If you have a small can RP23, the pressure can ramp up pretty fast at your weight and you'll never get into the last 1/2" of travel on the shock itself, which is equal to an inch of travel at the rear wheel.

I weigh 225 and was running the rear at from 135 to 160 psi, depending on how rough the trail was. On longer rides, (30 miles plus) I liked to run the pressure on the high side, less bobbing.

When I went to a big can, it took 180 to 210 psi to feel right again, much, much more plush, again riding weight the same 225.
    Last edited by Boyonabyke; 08-04-2009 at 05:36 PM.

Saucy Size
    Me: large can RP23, 220# loaded, 135# in the shock.

I could probably go -5# and actually use all the travel. As it is, I have 1/4" left to go on even the gnarliest trails.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

MTB B'dos
    Are you sure about that? Or do you happen to have the RP23 that has a longer shaft like I do? I'm thinking you have the newer version that uses the longer shaft

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Me: large can RP23, 220# loaded, 135# in the shock.

I could probably go -5# and actually use all the travel. As it is, I have 1/4" left to go on even the gnarliest trails.

p.

Saucy Size
    That's what she said.

No idea how to tell if my shaft is the "longer" kind.

LET'S KEEP THIS CLEAN PEOPLE.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

MTB B'dos

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

There was a thread a while back where people were complaining of not using/getting full travel as indicated by the O-ring on the shock shaft. One of the guys from Niner chimed in and explained about the 2 different length shafts RP23s can have. The one that will never send the O-ring all the way to the bottom unless you really bottomed the suspension. The shaft on mine measures 2.25"/55mm but the shock stroke is only 2", so I'll never have the o-ring go further down.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    That's what she said.

No idea how to tell if my shaft is the "longer" kind.

LET'S KEEP THIS CLEAN PEOPLE.

p.

MoJo Moto
    Well now I got to go find that tape measure.....

What ya think my shaft is long.....

Members who have read this thread: 0