Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    trail "cleaner"

RIP RDO frame weight

Here's my medium frame with 12mm Maxle, Chris King inset headset and Niner seatpost binder....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RIP RDO frame weight-reduced-rip-rdo.jpg  

No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    I saw one of these in person the other day (by accident) right after I'd finally gotten over wanting one... That color is amazing on that bike. I'm trying to refrain but it's awful nice to look at. (<--- great reason to buy a new frame)

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by 7daysaweek View Post
    I saw one of these in person the other day (by accident) right after I'd finally gotten over wanting one... That color is amazing on that bike. I'm trying to refrain but it's awful nice to look at. (<--- great reason to buy a new frame)
    Well don't demo 1 unless you are willing to buy 1 because you then will have to own 1 for sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Well don't demo 1 unless you are willing to buy 1 because you then will have to own 1 for sure.
    Luckily this one wasn't built yet... also the wrong size so I'm out of the woods for now. My current plan is to try and hold off til next year when ill go for either one of these or an sb66.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The Tallboy LTc and Ripley are coming in under 5.5 lbs for a medium frame. Any ideas as to why this frame is significantly heavier?

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    The Tallboy LTc and Ripley are coming in under 5.5 lbs for a medium frame. Any ideas as to why this frame is significantly heavier?
    Kinda wondering the same thing.
    And I love beer!!

Carbon & Ti rule
    Because the Rip9 RDO is built to be tuff, It's not built as a XC bike with extra travel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Because the Rip9 RDO is built to be tuff, It's not built as a XC bike with extra travel.
    So you are saying you don't know?

Always Learning
    It's obvoius - the carbon wrap tubing is thinner on the other brands mentioned than the burly RIPster.

Wait one year, then compare the number of frames that had to be warrantied from the Santa Cruz and Ibis compared to Niner. Then we can revisit the weight difference of the carbon in the said 3 products.

At least the OP had mentioned the TA was installed, along with the headset and seatpost collar when on the scale for the weight measurement.

A pound or so isn't going to make any difference for what these bikes can do. It all will come out in the wash....

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Wait one year, then compare the number of frames that had to be warrantied from the Santa Cruz and Ibis compared to Niner. Then we can revisit the weight difference of the carbon in the said 3 products.

A pound or so isn't going to make any difference for what these bikes can do.
    Do you seriously think either Ibis or Santa Cruz have shoddy carbon processes? They are two of the most transparent companies when it comes to how they make their bikes. Santa Cruz has pioneered carbon downhill bikes (that frame is only slightly heavier than the Rip9 RDO frame, btw).

I have full confidence that the Rip 9 RDO is a sweet bike. I was seriously considering it, but I just couldn't wait because I was ready to buy a bike 6 months ago. I'm just curious about the weight. The Jet9 RDO and Tallboy carbon have comparable weights. Also, the Intense Spider Comp is also 5.5 lbs, so I guess those are some more folks that will be sitting on the sidelines with broken bikes while you guys are shredding your Rip9 RDOs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    It's obvoius - the carbon wrap tubing is thinner on the other brands mentioned than the burly RIPster.
    You must be an engineer.

mtbr member
    Well, there is this theory called general relativity......

Carbon & Ti rule
    Do you seriously think either Ibis or Santa Cruz have shoddy carbon processes? They are two of the most transparent companies when it comes to how they make their bikes. Santa Cruz has pioneered carbon downhill bikes (that frame is only slightly heavier than the Rip9 RDO frame, btw).

I have full confidence that the Rip 9 RDO is a sweet bike. I was seriously considering it, but I just couldn't wait because I was ready to buy a bike 6 months ago. I'm just curious about the weight. The Jet9 RDO and Tallboy carbon have comparable weights. Also, the Intense Spider Comp is also 5.5 lbs, so I guess those are some more folks that will be sitting on the sidelines with broken bikes while you guys are shredding your Rip9 RDOs.
    I'm not saying that just because they are lighter they are going to brake.

When people put heaver springs in a race car it isn't because the lighter ones are braking, It's because they want it stiffer.

The Rip9 RDO is built a lot more solid IMO that what My Jet9 RDO's & My Tallboy were.

There is ways to make things tuff by changing things, But some times you just need more material to get the stiffness you want were you want it.

All bike makers have there own idea of what they want there finished bike to be & set about building it to what they want.

All bike makers are faced with were they are prepared to compromise & were they aren't so it's no surprise the end product can sometimes be very different.

Then it is up to you to work out what you are prepared to compromise on.

I was prepared to take on a little more weight & give up some climbing for what I thought I would get back in other area's.

To date the Rip9 RDO has turned out to be everything & more that I had hoped.

For our ride last night I knew before we left that 1 of the climbs was going to be about 40 min on it's own & The Rip9 RDO climbs so
    well I didn't even bother to take my Jet9 RDO with XX1, Ok short ride & not even that long a climb.

But I never like working harder than I need to, But weight ( or lack of it ) is never the 1st thing I look for in a bike.

Just my 2 c
    Last edited by muzzanic; 04-03-2013 at 10:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I think what we can safely say is that there is more carbon in a Rip9 RDO frame than in the Ibis or the Santa Cruz. I would also imagine that all three manufacturers use overseas vendors of similar levels of competence to manufacture their frames. Wether or not the additional carbon in the Rip9 RDO equates to greater durability is yet to be seen. What I do know for certain (having ridden one) is that the Rip9 RDO is a very, very solid and confidence inspiring frame. It is not a warmed up XC bike, it is an entirely different beast. I was blown away by the bikes technical climbing ability and not for one second did I fell that it was a "heavy" bike. For me it's plenty light enough, and more importantly the ride is sublime.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by WayDownSouth View Post
    I think what we can safely say is that there is more carbon in a Rip9 RDO frame than in the Ibis or the Santa Cruz. I would also imagine that all three manufacturers use overseas vendors of similar levels of competence to manufacture their frames. Wether or not the additional carbon in the Rip9 RDO equates to greater durability is yet to be seen. What I do know for certain (having ridden one) is that the Rip9 RDO is a very, very solid and confidence inspiring frame. It is not a warmed up XC bike, it is an entirely different beast. I was blown away by the bikes technical climbing ability and not for one second did I fell that it was a "heavy" bike. For me it's plenty light enough, and more importantly the ride is sublime.
    I don't doubt your assessment of the ride, but it's actually not obvious that it has more carbon. It could have more molded in metal bits, it could have heavy pivot hardware, it could have a lot of paint on it (paint can push 0.5 lbs on a bike), it could have heavy links. Could be a combination of all those things. I also don't think there's any reason to believe all carbon processes are created equal. Ibis admits having to switch factories because they weren't happy with the end result. I'm sure the factory they weren't happy with makes carbon bikes for other companies.

Also, for what it's worth, all of the other bikes I've mentioned have received glowing reviews as being "confidence inspiring" and "solid," so I'm not sure we are differentiating anything there.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Also, for what it's worth, all of the other bikes I've mentioned have received glowing reviews as being "confidence inspiring" and "solid," so I'm not sure we are differentiating anything there.
    Fare point but so did the Titanic LOL.

I'm sure that all of the bikes don't ride the same, It is for you to work out what 1 will work for you.

Now that you have pointed out the weight thing I will have to live with the fact that my total riding weight including bike is 1/2 a percent more than it could be.

Always Learning
    You must be an engineer.
    Yes. Here I am engineering my way around 5 laps at Ft. Ord on a carbon Tallboy...

2012-07-07 11.23.08

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ...

Here's my small. Just the frame 6.19lb

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post

Good I have been waiting to see a small, It doesn't look like much room for a drink bottle but never mind.

They are a super fast & smooth riding bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Good I have been waiting to see a small, It doesn't look like much room for a drink bottle but never mind.

They are a super fast & smooth riding bike.
    Nope. Only one water bottle mount on the bottom...perfect for a skid plate

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Wow....a lot heavier than the Jet. surprised it is not much less than the Alloy version. Still a sweet looking bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Wow....a lot heavier than the Jet. surprised it is not much less than the Alloy version. Still a sweet looking bike.
    The Rip 9 aluminum is 7.5 lbs, and the Jet 9 RDO (v1) is 5.5lb I think... so 6ish lbs isn't that bad. The frame would be 6lb w/o the removable plate and iscg tab...speaking of, anyone remove there iscg tab (xx1)?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I thought the Alloy was closer to just under 7. Definitely not complaining....no it is not bad.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    I thought the Alloy was closer to just under 7. Definitely not complaining....no it is not bad.
    hmm...I'm pretty sure I remember my frame being 7.5lb...but that may have been w/ the Maxle drop outs. I still miss her sometimes

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post

This pic is making the wait for mine to come in that much worse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast