mtbr member

New question here. RIP RDO Fork Choice - RockShox Pike 140mm or Fox Float 140mm???

Trying to make a decision.
    I have always run the Fox Float (currently on my Jet9 RDO), I have recently been introduced to the RockShox Pike, both come in black (Fox Float will have a choice of "black" in a few weeks)

Factors:
    1. Quality
    2. Color (needs to be black)
    3. Weight (29/140mm - Pike = 4.14 lb AND Float = 4.49 lb)

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have ridden a couple of Fox Talas 34 forks & although they are stiff they just didn't have me wanting to buy 1 & ditch my Reverlation's. 7 buy 1.

That said I am told the float rides nicer than the Talas.

I have owned the White brothers Loop & it felt as stiff as the Fox 34 & worked well on the down hills but I didn't like it as much when I need to stand & hammer & needed to lock it out.

I owned the XX Reba & it was awesome with the remote lock out for climbs & pinch climbs, But lacked stiffness & damping control on the downs.

All of this has left me thinking that all are good forks, But all leave you wanting more & thinking when are they going to get it right.

Like most, I have not ridden the Pike but it seems to tick the box's I have been looking for.

mtbr member
    muzzanic, I remember reading you also tried a manitou tower pro. What did you think of it?

I have one on my jet 9 RDO at 120mm and I adore it. I feel it is the most underrated fork on the market at a very reasonable price (think I paid $380 for mine). The best part is the tunability. It can morph into just about anything you want with minimal effort. They also have a 140 version, but I have not tried it. Just curious what others think of it.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have to agree, It is very under rated..

I tried the 120 tower Pro on my Green Jet9 RDO & it was a nice fork & as you say easy to tune.

I have one on my EMD & My wire has 1 on her Air9 RDO as well.

I was offered a 140mm tower pro for my Rip9 RDO but now have the option of X-Fusion 34 with 140 travel & the Pike with 35 & 140mm travel.

So I'm not going to try the Tower pro at this stage.

As silly as it sounds with owning a Rip9 RDO, I would really like to own a new 2013 Rip9 Alloy.

But My wife would kill me if I brought 1 of those as well, But I get so many people wanting to ride my bike & I worry when I send them off with a Bike that has cost me so much.

Maybe if I end up with a 2013 Rip9 Alloy I would put the Tower Pro on it.

Quote Originally Posted by brightsky View Post
    muzzanic, I remember reading you also tried a manitou tower pro. What did you think of it?

I have one on my jet 9 RDO at 120mm and I adore it. I feel it is the most underrated fork on the market at a very reasonable price (think I paid $380 for mine). The best part is the tunability. It can morph into just about anything you want with minimal effort. They also have a 140 version, but I have not tried it. Just curious what others think of it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kellijayne View Post
    Trying to make a decision.
    I have always run the Fox Float (currently on my Jet9 RDO), I have recently been introduced to the RockShox Pike, both come in black (Fox Float will have a choice of "black" in a few weeks)

Factors:
    1. Quality
    2. Color (needs to be black)
    3. Weight (29/140mm - Pike = 4.14 lb AND Float = 4.49 lb)
    I have a Float 34 CTD. I'd wait for the Pike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have the Fox 34 Talas 140-110. I ride the older model on my 2011 RIP9. Great fork. So good that I got the new CTD model for the RIP9 RDO I just built. Not sure if I got a bad fork this time but the rebound adjust does basically nothing. The older model is way more plush. If this is what the fork is supposed to feel like I might be swapping with my old fork and buying something else for that bike.

trail "cleaner"
    I'm really liking the Revelation RCT3 140mm on my alloy RIP. Smoking deal from Chainreaction cycles. Buy one of these and use the extra $400-$500 on other parts.
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    My experiences with the float float has always been great...talas just doesn't do it for me. The floats are very good looking and stiff. I've always managed to get full travel, but that's a big complaint with a lot of people. With that said....even though I like them...they are the most overrated fork on the market, and the price tag shows it. I've been equally or more happy with the rockshox I've tried recently.

If it were mine, I'd be looking at either the revelation or pike. Heck, I'd probably give the x fusion a try if the opportunity came. Fox is nice if your bike comes with it, but really hard to invest that kind of money as an aftermarket upgrade. I'd rather go rockshox and use the extra money towards a nice wide/stiff/light wheelset.

Let us know what you decide on.

mtbr member
    I have the Revelation RCT3 120mm on my Jet 9 RDO and I think it is the best shock I've ever owned. Mine is the 2012 model that has dual air and the adjustability is amazing. The SID XX would be about 200 grams lighter but for the price(and I'm not a total weight weenie) I don't think you could go wrong with the Revelation. The Pike is probably way better. My 2c.
    Single Track Rules!