• 11-29-2012
    motopail
    RIP...best up-grade so far
    So far the best thing I have done to my RIP is the new Fox poly shock bushings.

    So smooth, I had to increase the air presure to correct the sag(twinkies could be involved).

    My old bushings did not look that bad, but the difference in ride is amazing.

    So ...don't wait for yours to get old....for $28 it's a big improvement.

    Tootles...
  • 11-29-2012
    kragu
    What are you noticing?
  • 11-29-2012
    blcman
    I'm using RWC needle bearings! ;)

    2nd best upgrade is to put a HV air can on the shock! :thumbsup:
  • 11-30-2012
    motopail
    Notice...?

    Traction... the wheel really follows the ground.

    with less friction, when I first sat on the bike...it seemed like it just blew through the travel. This is where I needed to up the pressure.

    If you can feel smooth... well it feels smoother.

    I like the RWC dealies, but these new ploy bushings are cheap and easy.

    No brainer...do it
  • 11-30-2012
    kragu
    I just realized, all of the frames with CTD shocks come with these installed already.
  • 11-30-2012
    motopail
    Yea... I think that all of the new Fox shoxs come with the ploy deals now.
  • 11-30-2012
    AZmtncycler
    ditto
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by blcman View Post
    I'm using RWC needle bearings! ;)

    2nd best upgrade is to put a HV air can on the shock! :thumbsup:

    Both of these are:thumbsup:. 3rd is a 140mm fork;)
  • 12-21-2012
    kragu
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AZmtncycler View Post
    Both of these are:thumbsup:. 3rd is a 140mm fork;)

    Speaking of a 140mm fork, anyone think a Fox 34 140 is too much fork for a 175lb geared up rider who rides a mix of XC and rocky 'trail' type trails? Also would like to make my RIP versatile enough for AM (some downhill runs at my 'local' ski resort - Mammoth). Advice?
  • 12-21-2012
    AZmtncycler
    Yes
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Speaking of a 140mm fork, anyone think a Fox 34 140 is too much fork for a 175lb geared up rider who rides a mix of XC and rocky 'trail' type trails? Also would like to make my RIP versatile enough for AM (some downhill runs at my 'local' ski resort - Mammoth). Advice?

    The 140mm forks (FOX/Rock Shox) take nothing away from the RIP's climbing ability and really opens it up on the technical descents. Thus the 3rd best upgrade to an already great bike.
  • 12-21-2012
    kragu
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AZmtncycler View Post
    The 140mm forks (FOX/Rock Shox) take nothing away from the RIP's climbing ability and really opens it up on the technical descents. Thus the 3rd best upgrade to an already great bike.

    At 120, I'm already having to adjust to keeping the front end down on steep climbs. I'm coming off a hard tail with much different geometry and a 100mm fork...I have trouble believing that I won't feel the extra 20mm of the 140 on the ascent. My thinking is that I can always get better at climbing, but I'm limited by whatever bike I'm on in the descents. Having never ridden a fork that long, I don't know how it's going to feel. And the 34 stanchions? Anyone been in my shoes that can speak to these differences?
  • 12-21-2012
    blcman
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    At 120, I'm already having to adjust to keeping the front end down on steep climbs. I'm coming off a hard tail with much different geometry and a 100mm fork...I have trouble believing that I won't feel the extra 20mm of the 140 on the ascent. My thinking is that I can always get better at climbing, but I'm limited by whatever bike I'm on in the descents. Having never ridden a fork that long, I don't know how it's going to feel. And the 34 stanchions? Anyone been in my shoes that can speak to these differences?

    In your case I would recommend the Fox Talas 140.
    You can adjust it down to 110mm for climbs and then flip the switch back to the 140mm that IMO brings the Rip9 to life.
    You'll be hard pressed to outride the Rip9 then! :thumbsup:

    We can/should always be working on climbing technique anyway! lol
    I think the 34mm stantions are a must for AM riding with big wheels.
    They tend to deflect more off of things and the added stiffness will be noticed.
    I went from a Rock Shox 120mm with 20mm axle to the Fox34 with 15QR.
    I love the change and I hardly ever use the travel adjust, The CVA suspension works that well.
  • 12-21-2012
    Jisch
    I put a 140mm fork on my '10 RIP a few months ago. I put on the Loop - I like the 140 a lot better than the 120. It has added an AM dimension to the bike. I disagree that it makes no difference on the climb though, on the really steep stuff you definitely need to get your weight really far forward - not so much that it makes climbs impossible, but its definitely noticeable.

    I have RWC bearings on my shock, but the best upgrade I did to my RIP was putting on a Reverb adjustable seatpost, that one thing changed it from a XC bike to an AM bike. I had to send my Reverb in for service and that week without it reminded me of just how much it changes the demeanor of the bike.
  • 12-21-2012
    albertdc
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by motopail View Post
    So far the best thing I have done to my RIP is the new Fox poly shock bushings.

    So smooth, I had to increase the air presure to correct the sag(twinkies could be involved).

    My old bushings did not look that bad, but the difference in ride is amazing.

    So ...don't wait for yours to get old....for $28 it's a big improvement.

    Tootles...

    Wooh! Can't believe I missed this post several weeks ago. :thumbsup:
    Where did you buy the bushings? Was it a "kit"? I'm not getting much on a Google search - I must be putting something in wrong. More info would be greatly appreciated.

    I did find the RWC bearing kits - just under double the price. I imagine they would be even a little smoother, right? I wonder which will last longer - anybody have input into the longevity of those bearings in a RIP9?

    Thanks.
  • 12-21-2012
    muzzanic
    My list on the Rip9 would be.

    1/ Dropper post.

    2/ HV air can

    3/ Nobby Nic rear tyre, Hans Dumpf front

    4/ 140mm fork

    5/ XX1

    6/ Carbon Wheels
  • 12-22-2012
    theycallmeE
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by motopail View Post
    So far the best thing I have done to my RIP is the new Fox poly shock bushings.

    So smooth, I had to increase the air presure to correct the sag(twinkies could be involved).

    My old bushings did not look that bad, but the difference in ride is amazing.

    So ...don't wait for yours to get old....for $28 it's a big improvement.

    Tootles...

    Hey motopail, this sounds perfect - have always doubted that that pivot was as smooth as it could be. Where did you get them?

    Also, wanting to do this upgrade on my Jet9. Any reason to think they wouldn't work? The shock connection is the same as the RIP...

    Thanks for any help or information,

    E
  • 12-23-2012
    GaryRudolph
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    but the best upgrade I did to my RIP was putting on a Reverb adjustable seatpost, that one thing changed it from a XC bike to an AM bike

    Just put on a dropper as well (KS LEV) and easily the best upgrade for it even with the extra $ and weight.