mtbr member
    Jan 2009

RIP 9 and SRAM XX 2x10?

Anyone running XX on their RIP 9?

Taking a wild guess that the cranks will work but the front derailleur might be the deal breaker.
    Last edited by 24 seven; 07-08-2010 at 10:10 AM.

kabouterclan member
    Jun 2006
    Sent from my HAL 9000

29ers Only.
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 seven

Taking a wild guess that the cranks will work but the front derailleur might be the deal breaker.
    It works, you need the proper XX front derailleur which exists:

- 34.9 High Mount, Bottom Pull XX ( derailleur weighs 118 grams, btw )

We recommend the 26/39 XX crank.

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

mtbr member
    May 2010

Cool-blue Rhythm RIP 9 & Sram xx FD

Hi Guys,

Have to throw in my 10 cents worth; I have a RIP 9; (awesome bike; 25.8lb!) and I have fitted Sram XX throughout (26x39). My LBS could not source a Frt Derailleur, so I used a Deore LX, until last night, when the new XX FD arrived.
    I now have a problem with the XX FD (34.9; Top Mnt; bottom pull); in the 26 blade; the chain rubs against the cage of the FD, when in the last 4 cogs of the cassette!
    My LBS says it's because of the angle of the seat tube?
    Niner, are they right or am I missing something?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Remmo
    Hi Guys,

Have to throw in my 10 cents worth; I have a RIP 9; (awesome bike; 25.8lb!) and I have fitted Sram XX throughout (26x39). My LBS could not source a Frt Derailleur, so I used a Deore LX, until last night, when the new XX FD arrived.
    I now have a problem with the XX FD (34.9; Top Mnt; bottom pull); in the 26 blade; the chain rubs against the cage of the FD, when in the last 4 cogs of the cassette!
    My LBS says it's because of the angle of the seat tube?
    Niner, are they right or am I missing something?
    Yes it will be ok when you sit on the bike.

code: mtbr2011
    are you saying that the lx front derailleur worked better with the xx crankset than the xx FD does?
    i am getting ready to build this bike with XX and want don't want chain rub on the cage in any gears.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Good job!

Hi,
    I have to say thanks to Muzzanic, he was spot-on; the chain does rub on the XX cage when in the 26 front blade on the bike stand, but when I sit on the bike and ride there is no rubbing whatsoever! (I'm 175 lbs; +/- 23mm sag)
    I rode a 20 mile rocky test loop yesterday and the XX FD definitely performs better than the LX FD. I used to have considerable 'chain slap' noise and now with the XX FD it's gone.
    Niner is correct; if you're going 2x10 on the RIP9, use the XX FD; 34.9mm top clamp, bottom pull; it works!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

My take

This is a trail bike and XX is silly on it. The XX groupo is for very high end racing applications and is silly expensive. No opinion here

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hi Jaybo,

'The XX groupo is for very high end racing applications and is silly expensive.'.....You just gave your opinion......and I agree with you; XX is 'silly expensive!
    However, in my opinion, the RIP 9 is an awesome bike, and I chose it for it's all-round capabilities, an opinion also shared by Niner and various MTB magazines.
    I therefore wanted to build it under 12kg (26,40 lbs) and I am happy that it came out at around 25.8lbs. I have raced it in XC (1st in class; 14th/285 riders) and also enjoyed it's trail bike abilities at Mankele (mankele.co.za) and Giba gorge (gibagorge.co.za).
    I chose XX because, in my opinion , it is a more efficient drivetrain than 3x9, helps to keep the weight down and looks damn good!
    To each his own......?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Remmo
    Hi Jaybo,

'The XX groupo is for very high end racing applications and is silly expensive.'.....You just gave your opinion......and I agree with you; XX is 'silly expensive!
    However, in my opinion, the RIP 9 is an awesome bike, and I chose it for it's all-round capabilities, an opinion also shared by Niner and various MTB magazines.
    I therefore wanted to build it under 12kg (26,40 lbs) and I am happy that it came out at around 25.8lbs. I have raced it in XC (1st in class; 14th/285 riders) and also enjoyed it's trail bike abilities at Mankele (mankele.co.za) and Giba gorge (gibagorge.co.za).
    I chose XX because, in my opinion , it is a more efficient drivetrain than 3x9, helps to keep the weight down and looks damn good!
    To each his own......?
    I agree with you but with your next 258,000,000 bikes that you own make them all different so they will suit everybody elses riding ( It is selfish to build it the way you want it ).

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    This is a trail bike and XX is silly on it. The XX groupo is for very high end racing applications and is silly expensive. No opinion here
    New X.0, X.9, X.7 sets coming in 2 x 10 very soon from SRAM....

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I built my RIP with XX 11-36 cassette, RD, shifter as a 1 X 10 with a 30T up front. Light, efficient and everything I need for the riding I do. Really like it. I think it was worth it. Just wanted the best on this bike. First nice bike.

yep, xx is really expensive.
    silly? i don't think so. 2x10 makes sense - even for trail bikes!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    New X.0, X.9, X.7 sets coming in 2 x 10 very soon from SRAM....
    This month, season, year or next season?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

It depends

Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    yep, xx is really expensive.
    silly? i don't think so. 2x10 makes sense - even for trail bikes!
    If you are a rich dude XX is cheap, but I am not in that classification and find XX stupid expensive. It is all relative, but the RIP 9 is a chunky monkey and I would look elsewhere for a groupo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    If you are a rich dude XX is cheap, but I am not in that classification and find XX stupid expensive. It is all relative, but the RIP 9 is a chunky monkey and I would look elsewhere for a groupo.
    one might think building a 2 or 3 or 5 thousand mountain bike is stupid expensive regardless of the groupo. i know my wife does. and i'm sure there are plenty of rich people who think so too.

build your rip9 with whatever groupo you want.

i'm no psychiatrist, but i'd gather you've got some inferiority complex about money.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hi Rone,
    Sounds like a cool ride!
    I'm thinking of building another Niner (supposedly for my wife...) but this time a MCR, and would like to use the 1x10 option with an XX cassette, as I have a spare set of rims from my RIP.
    I would like to ask which 30 T crankset did you use up front, which is compatible with the XX cassette?
    Did you use a chain guide; if so any advice?

PSYCHOLUST
    SILLY EXPENSIVE:

I forget who once said "extravagance is how other people spend their money"

It is TRUE....... I have neighbours who drive $90,000 cars and think I'm CRAZY when they see me shoving a $6,000 bike in the back of my $5,000 van....

SILLY EXPENSIVE is in the eye of the beholder...... don't forget that 95% of all bikes sold are likely under $250......... To the MAJORITY of people all our bikes are silly expensive

Carbon & Ti rule

I only spend it because I need to.

Well I look at it this way,Of all the things you spend money on & there lots.

How much do you spend on your general health ?

After all that is what is going to take us off the planet.

I have my bikes in my health budget & the better I build them,the more I like riding them & inturn the better my health becomes.

Now I beleave this & my wife beleaves this so any comments to the contrary will fall on deaf ears.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Smile factor

Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    one might think building a 2 or 3 or 5 thousand mountain bike is stupid expensive regardless of the groupo. i know my wife does. and i'm sure there are plenty of rich people who think so too.

build your rip9 with whatever groupo you want.

i'm no psychiatrist, but i'd gather you've got some inferiority complex about money.
    The balance point for me is does the part make me smile more. I have XO on one bike and X9 on the other bike and the XO doesn't make me smile anymore on rides. I won't be getting XO anymore. It just doesn't add enough value for me. I don't believe XX would make me smile anymore because I would not value the performance. I don't care about looking at it in the garage and don't care what others think about my bike. We each have a balance point somewhere or maybe not--and that is what a credit card is for in many American's lives.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I just brought 3 sets of 10 speed XT parts & they were as cheap as chips.

So no more 9 speed in our house hold.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Q-Factor

Does anyone know what the proper Q-Factor for XX on the RIP9 is?

Thanks in advance.

q166.