mtbr member

RIP 9 sizing help

I am planning to purchase a RIP 9 and I need some sizing help. I am 6'3" and the sizing guide say a Large and XL both fit. Would like your opinions on whether I should size up or size down.

mtbr member

RIP 9 sizing help

Quote Originally Posted by azorr View Post
    I am planning to purchase a RIP 9 and I need some sizing help. I am 6'3" and the sizing guide say a Large and XL both fit. Would like your opinions on whether I should size up or size down.
    Size down for a more nimble bike, size up for a more stable bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I guess I am asking more for subjective opinions. If you had the same option, which would you are did you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Size down for a more nimble bike, size up for a more stable bike.

mtbr member

RIP 9 sizing help

I'm on the border of M/L, and I opted for a M by the logic that 29ers in general already have stability as a plus, while many are reported to lack "flickability" or "playfulness". I have some tight and twisty tracks that I frequent, so that factored in as well. Lastly, I wanted to put a 150mm Pike due to its close-to-Fox-140-A/C-measurement, and wanted to make sure the bike didn't feel like a tank.

mtbr member
    Just to add to the confusion. I'm 6ft and ride a large Rip RDO with a 50mm stem/140mm X-Fusion Trace and love it dearly. I do prefer a slightly longer reach however, but it feels nice and stable at speed.

mtbr member
    I'm 6' 3.5" and opted for the xl frame. I prefer the longer top tube and additional stack height of the xl. I'm running an 80mm stem on mine and the fit is perfect.

mtbr member
    I am leaning toward the Large. I went by a dealer yesterday and rode a large around their parking lot and it felt good, and they said that is what they recommend. Also I think that is the closest to my old bike and I like that fit.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    Just to add to the confusion. I'm 6ft and ride a large Rip RDO with a 50mm stem/140mm X-Fusion Trace and love it dearly. I do prefer a slightly longer reach however, but it feels nice and stable at speed.
    That's close to mine/

I'm 6ft ride a lge Rip9 RDO with 55mm stem/ 140mm Pike.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Reviving this thread... Buying my first MTB and decided on a Niner RIP 9 - now just need to decide on size. I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam and 155 lbs - which, according to Niner, puts me right in between a Medium and a Large. What do ya'll think? Medium or Large?

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11.5, 32" inseam, short torso, 170 lbs. I went with a Medium, because it has an ETT length of about 23.7", which I know I like. However, I had to bump up to a slightly longer stem to get the fit I wanted.

If I had it to do over, I'd probably go the same route, but to be honest, the Large with the stock short stem would probably fit just fine, too.