mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Rip 9 size Large??

So I am looking to buy a Rip 9 frame which is on sale right now.

The issue I am having a hard time getting my head around is the size large being 20".

I am 6 foot with real long legs. I have always ridden size larges in mountain bikes from Kona 19 to turner large to my ibis mojo sl large. I had one XL specialized 20.5 years ago that was too big. I know I'm a large and that works for me.

But I see the Rip 9 large is a 20". Well that makes me uneasy. I don't want a too big bike. And yet the MCR large is a 19".

Can anyone help me come to grips with whats goin on here??

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by mastakilla
    So I am looking to buy a Rip 9 frame which is on sale right now.

The issue I am having a hard time getting my head around is the size large being 20".

I am 6 foot with real long legs. I have always ridden size larges in mountain bikes from Kona 19 to turner large to my ibis mojo sl large. I had one XL specialized 20.5 years ago that was too big. I know I'm a large and that works for me.

But I see the Rip 9 large is a 20". Well that makes me uneasy. I don't want a too big bike. And yet the MCR large is a 19".

Can anyone help me come to grips with whats goin on here??
    Just buy it I'm 6 foot I like my Lge

mtbr member
    +1 for the large.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    +1 for the Large, but don't count it twice since I already posted in your identical thread on the 29er forum where everyone told you to get the large.

Seriously though, we are the same height and I had the same concerns. I am really glad I got the large. It allows me to run a short (50mm) stem for maximum control and still be comfortable for pedaling all day. My long inseam appreciates the 20" seat tube because it keeps my bike from looking like it's too small for me when I have the saddle at XC height, a VERY common problem for me on medium frames.

The low standover feels great in technical terrain and the low center of gravity goes a long way toward keeping the bike nimble.

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">

The New Rig

Carbon & Ti rule
    I run my seat height for my height 6 ft 80cm on the Rip9 & 81cm on the Jet9 & on the large jet I still get people saying that frame is only just big enough.

mtbr member
    Lots of good advice that makes sense hear but all the advice in the world wont tell you how its gonna fit ....find a shop that has one built up and take it for a ride I think you will find these guys are right the large is for you.....but you got to pay for it so you got to like it ...by the way I am almost 5"10 and I ride a med sir9 but a large jet9 and they seem to feel similar for fit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rip 9 size Large??-img00067-20100823-1615.jpg  

Rip 9 size Large??-img00043-20100724-0734.jpg  

biking makes it better

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by single-trac-mind
    Lots of good advice that makes sense hear but all the advice in the world wont tell you how its gonna fit ....find a shop that has one built up and take it for a ride I think you will find these guys are right the large is for you.....but you got to pay for it so you got to like it ...by the way I am almost 5"10 and I ride a med sir9 but a large jet9 and they seem to feel similar for fit
    That Jet looks awesome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

thanks guys

OK ordered up the Dud ano large from speedgoat for 1239 shipped. Prolly will be a little bit before I get it built up. Till then I am riding my mojo sl 76er which is one sweet ride.

JMH, thanks. You are a much better rider than myself. I am a bit of hack with soon to be 2 awesome rides too good for me.

Thinking I am gonna do a 2x10 setup. May consider a 1x10 but I am not an especially strong rider at this point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic
    That Jet looks awesome.
    THANKS
    biking makes it better

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by mastakilla
    OK ordered up the Dud ano large from speedgoat for 1239 shipped. Prolly will be a little bit before I get it built up. Till then I am riding my mojo sl 76er which is one sweet ride.

JMH, thanks. You are a much better rider than myself. I am a bit of hack with soon to be 2 awesome rides too good for me.

Thinking I am gonna do a 2x10 setup. May consider a 1x10 but I am not an especially strong rider at this point.
    Thanks for the props, but you get good at anything if you do it for a few hundred years!

The bike is amazing, it definitely makes some aspects of riding a lot easier.

Closekids.com
    2x10 is the bomb!
    As is Milk Dud...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rip 9 size Large??-img_1090-50%25redux.jpg  

Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".