code: mtbr2011

RIP 9 Shock - Fox RP23 ???

how much air are you guys running in the rear? i'm 200# and running about 145psi. i have about 5/8" sag at that level, which is pretty consistent with fox's specs.

i have a reba team dual air, and i'm running 120+/110- in the front.

just curious...i'm having some variations between my 2 shock pumps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I weigh about 205 and I'm currently running 150psi in the rear and have have about the same amount of sag you have. It feels a little stiff to me but I only have a couple rides on it and I don't think I had the rebound dialed in or the propedal in the right position all the time. I have a Fox F-29 on the front, I don't think they compare.

MoJo Moto
    Well..... you really want 1/2 an inch of sag.

Do confuse low pressure with a plush ride. If you have to much sag, you drop in to the stiffer part of the travel to soon. Once the rider sag is correct, the first part of the travel(the plush part) becomes more effective.

I'm 195lbs... I ve tried pressure between 135 and 155 psi. At 155 psi I wll get the correct sag..with my gear on. And checking sag in you living room is not the same as when you are out riding and everything is moving and "warmed up". My home sag was never the same as when I check it out riding.

anyway.... the best performance I get out of my RIP is when the sag is at 1/2 inch. Take your shox pump with you and go ride.

tootles..

moto.
    Ride Hard or Ride Home Alone.

yeah, i'm going to play with it today a bit...still trying to dial in the fork and the shock, and i have some variation in my 2 different shock pumps too....
    i'm going to start with 150 and go from there...

mtbr member
    i weigh about 200. closer to 210 w/ gear. I run about 130-135 psi. with 145-150 psi, i don't use all of the travel.

Quote Originally Posted by dsnow23
    i weigh about 200. closer to 210 w/ gear. I run about 130-135 psi. with 145-150 psi, i don't use all of the travel.
    that's bizarre to me. i ran 150psi, and found the rubber o ring pushed down just about all the way. not an excessively rough trail, either.

i'm going to try running it lower next ride.
    around 140.

MoJo Moto
    Quote Originally Posted by dsnow23

Remember....

your shock travel is only 2"....it will not go all they way down to the bottom of the shaft body.

and... you may not want all of the travel unless you hit something harder than you would normaly.

as with any rising rate suspension.... it gets stiffer as you move through the travel, This is why sag is very critical.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    are you guys running this air pressure with the standard air sleeve that came with the bike? i would also be curious to know what some people are using with the larger air sleeve, i am a light rider in comparison to you guys and find that the larger air sleeve makes a world of a difference

MoJo Moto
    I'm useing the stock body....