mtbr member

Rip 9 RDO vs. Ripley + Pike fork

I am a 130 lb 5’5″ XC rider who enjoys tough climbs much more than technical descents. But some of the people I ride with like light AM, so I need a bike that can handle that. I do not know how flick around a bike; I cannot manual. I cannot “rail” corners. I like steep semi-technical ascents which involve fist-sized rocks. I like to feel safe on descents, and do not enjoy the thrill of a scary descent. Small bump compliance is important to me.

How would you compare the Rip 9 RDO to a Ripley with a 140mm Pike Fork and Cane Creek DB-inline shock (both of which are available as part of the Ibis build kit)? People generally say that the Ripley favors climbing and the Rip 9 favors descending. But with the 140mm fork, the Ripley's head angle becomes 68.5 degrees, and some people say that the front wanders a bit on the steep climbs. Scot at Ibis told me that if I prefer climbing, I should get the 120mm fork, but I still think that I will go with the 140mm Pike (maybe reduce it to 130mm) because I like to feel in control on the descents and in rock gardens. What climbs better: a 140mm Pike Ripley or a 130mm Revelation Rip9 RDO? Which descends better?

I eat cats
    I demoed both bikes with a 130 revelation fork and chose the RIP because it felt better on the downs amongst other things. I built my RIP9 RDO with a 140mm Pike and love it, however you seem to like the ups more than the downs. Perhaps the adjustable travel Pike is in order for you. Can you demo these bikes? You should given the amount of $$$ involved.

Don't get me wrong, the Ripley was a fun bike but the RIP felt better to ME. You might like the handling of the Ibis, we like different things. The Pike will be stiffer with beefier stanchions and that is a good thing, even if you aren't bombing insane rock gardens.

Given your description of what you ride, riding style and terrain you like riding... have you considered a JET9 RDO? From what I hear it can handle a lot for a XC oriented bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    I demoed both bikes with a 130 revelation fork and chose the RIP because it felt better on the downs amongst other things. I built my RIP9 RDO with a 140mm Pike and love it, however you seem to like the ups more than the downs. Perhaps the adjustable travel Pike is in order for you. Can you demo these bikes? You should given the amount of $$$ involved.

Don't get me wrong, the Ripley was a fun bike but the RIP felt better to ME. You might like the handling of the Ibis, we like different things. The Pike will be stiffer with beefier stanchions and that is a good thing, even if you aren't bombing insane rock gardens.

Given your description of what you ride, riding style and terrain you like riding... have you considered a JET9 RDO? From what I hear it can handle a lot for a XC oriented bike.
    x2. I have a RIP and love it, but if you're thinking more XC with a little extra travel the JET I demo'd can handle an awful lot. (like 99% of what I'd ever ride) That said, I still got the RIP for those crazy times.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yes the New Rip9's are very good, They climb very well & will help you heaps on the downs as well.

I would try & get the Pike on it if you could

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi. I got a RIP9 RDO with dual position Pike 120-150 and now have the best of booth worlds. 120 for climbing and 150 for downhill.

USED2COULD
    Hi,
    Might as well throw my hat in now I have more time on my Rip. Last night I took my Rip 9 with 140 Pike to a trail I ride often that starts with a ~6km climb. I've ridden the trail lots of times on my Jet RDO with a 110mm Lefty. The rip and 140mm Pike climbed well, but the front definitely wondered more than the Jet. As Locatelli125 mentioned if you're all about climbing a dual position, or 120mm Pike on the Rip would be best.

However from everything you took the time to describe in your original post it sounded like your were describing the Jet RDO to a T.
    '12 Jet 9 RDO 22.9 lb
    '14 Rip 9 | Pike 140mm 26.6
    10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb Stolen
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb