mtbr member
    Jul 2007

RIP 9 RDO lower linkage creaking

I have a creaking noise coming from the BB/lower linkage area.

The noise occurs under medium/not very much and more pressure on the pedals. There is a creak on each down stroke of each pedal. Equals really annoying and bad sound.

The linkage area has been wet. It was possibly submerged for a stream crossing (less than 10 feet).

I though it was a BB creak. I pulled the BB, cleaned the threads, Teflon taped the threads, and re-installed BB. Still creaked - no change.

I took the red cassette tool sized cap off of the lower link and removed the left side link.

However, I do not have a spanner wrench to adjust or remove the two nut things that hold the bearings in place. These are not the shimano cassette tool "bolts" that you see on the exterior of the frame. I have a cassette tool and can remove those. These are two nuts under the linkage. They look like the steel lock nut things you use in electric boxes.

Does anyone have a solution for the creak?
    And what is the proper spanner wrench to adjust/remove the two nut things?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Noises in the linkage can be very difficult to diagnose.

First check and see if it happens only with pedal power applied vs just compression of the suspension.

My last one could only be heard under pedaling force (not when the suspension was just compressed). It ended up being the chain ring bolts that were making the noise. It took me a long time to figure that one out.

Unfortunately, the noise will travel though the frame making it very hard to pinpoint.

In the past I have had looseness in the shock mounts, bad d-bushings, and dry pivot axles all being the culprit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Had a similar problem with my bike. After going through the complete bike, checking every nut, bolt and bearing. I found it out to be, the derailleur hanger being slightly loose. Anything loose will reverberate through the carbon frame and make finding the problem difficult, as I experienced. I also put a very thin wipe of grease between the frame and hanger. Problemo solved. ;-D

mtbr member
    Check the rear through axle. My Jet 9 RDO through axle creaks. Clean the threads and grease them, then snug it down before clamping it shut. This nearly completely got rid of the creaking issue I had (I went through the whole BB/lower linkage investigation as well). I really have to mash the pedals to get it to creak and that would not be normal riding for me.

On the other hand, if you know your lower linkage has been under water, the bearings probably need to be serviced.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I will check the F and R derailleurs and the through axle.

Forgot to mention that I checked the chain ring bolts on my ride yesterday - along with the left crank arm bolts - only things I could check on a ride. Same sound happens in both chain rings (XT cranks).

It only happens on the pedal down strokes. It does not occur when compressing the suspension, i.e. bouncing on the bike. That is why I initially thought BB.

Also, I cannot get the creak by standing next to the bike and pushing the pedal toward the frame - sideways pressure. Maybe it is some sound from somewhere else travelling through the frame.

Thanks for the suggestions.

mtbr member

I had an issue similar to this on my JET9 RDO, it ended up being something silly, loose rear wheel. Tightened it up and boom, perfect. It took me laying very low while someone else recreated the sound to figure it out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Solved - and the winner is rear through axle. I cleaned and wiped new grease on it. No more creak.

I also found a loose outer chain ring bolt and rear derailleur hangar bolt. Also rebuilt my pedals.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Crit Boy - I had a creak on my RIP RDO and it turned out to be the lower shock mounting bolt. I greased it well and reinstalled and have been creak free.

Also my XX1 rear derailleur creaks like a mofo, I have to lube it fairly frequently.

JMH

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    Solved - and the winner is rear through axle. I cleaned and wiped new grease on it. No more creak.

I also found a loose outer chain ring bolt and rear derailleur hangar bolt. Also rebuilt my pedals.
    Haha, good to hear. I was getting pretty anxious about my noise at first because they couldn't figure it out at the shop. That's what we get for thinking its the most difficult things first.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    FYI for anyone else chasing a similar noise.

The creak came back again - of course during a group ride. Crazy how much a carbon frame amplifies noise.

This time it was the derailleur hanger. I took it off, cleaned it, and put a thin film of grease on the frame contact surface.

Good to go now.

Still do not know what tool is used to remove the nut things on the linkage - if anyone knows (not shimano cassette tool - I mean the nut under those)?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    It's a park pin spanner. Worked perfectly on one we had in the shop. Niner said to adjust it like a threaded headset, it's a preload. The outside but locks everything in place
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.