mtbr member
    Jun 2009

RIP 9 RDO grease pivot bearings

I have a 2014 RIP 9 RDO that I have been riding for a couple of months. A clicking noise developed recently when the rear suspension compressed. I decided to take the linkage apart and clean and put in fresh grease. Does the bearing for the upper linkage stay in the rear triangle? Should it be pressed into the rear triangle? Mine came out along with the black linkage part. I packed in grease into the cutout hole and bolted everything back. The clinking noise is gone but just wanted to double check about that bearing.

RIP 9 RDO grease pivot bearings-rip-9-rdo-rear-triangle-highlighted.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

RIP 9 RDO grease pivot bearings

I would call Niner. They are superb. My gut tells me they should be pressed into the frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by onobed View Post
    I would call Niner. They are superb. My gut tells me they should be pressed into the frame.
    I think they are pressed in as well. I got a link to a service video from Niner:

RIP 9 RDO Hardware from Niner Bikes on Vimeo

The video shows the bearing staying in place when the bolt was removed. I'll give them a call.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I have the same frame and my non-drive side bearing has started to push outward as well so there's a visible gap between the rocker arm and rear triangle (1 - 2 mm). Do I need to have that bearing replaced?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by niner_marin View Post
    I have the same frame and my non-drive side bearing has started to push outward as well so there's a visible gap between the rocker arm and rear triangle (1 - 2 mm). Do I need to have that bearing replaced?

Thanks.
    Can you move the rocker side to side at the seat stay? Mine had some play, about a mm or two. This is what motivated me to take the suspension apart. I found the bearing in mine to be lose from the frame.

I suggest you email service@niner.com and warranty@niner.com.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    There was some play in mine as well.

I took the bike to my mechanic and the bearing had moved out a bit. Niner recommended using a little blue loctite and if it happened again, they'd look into a possible warranty replacement for the rear triangle. All has been good so far after a couple of rides.

mtbr member
    To be honest I think I have the same problem. I have this clicking noise and I did a lot to eliminate that but so far, with no luck. I have RIP 9 alloy 2014. The clicking noise started after about a year since I bought the bike. I started with rebuilding the rear Rockshox, then I took the pivots apart, re-greased them (bearings looked good). In the meantime I contacted my local mechanic, they suggested to contact Niner. I have been in touch with Niner for the last couple of months but no results of this conversation. The advise different things but nothing works. I even offered that I could drop my bike at their location in Fort Collins but there was no response. I feel like there is some loose in the pivots or that is a fault of my Rock Shox but at this point I am clueless.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just to update on the progress of this issue. I spoke with Niner on the phone and the bearings in the rear triangle near the seat-stays are pressed into the rear triangle. It's a tight fit and held in place with green loctite which is a bearing\sleeve retainer solution. I got small bottle from a local autoparts store. I cleaned the bearing and bearing hole in the rear triangle. I placed a bead of green loctite around the outside perimeter of the bearing and pressed it back into the frame. I allowed the loctite to cure overnight and reassembled everything the next morning. This fix didn't hold and the bearing backed out. After contacting Niner, they sent me a new rear-triangle as replacement.

Thanks to Nate and Ralph at Niner. Great customer service!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Glad you could still get a Blue rear end!