Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Why lev over reverb?
    The LEV just seems cleaner with the immobile cable. Never tried the reverb so I can't attest to its functionality, but the LEV is excellent. No slop, fast action, nice lever.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamster styles View Post
    Already have all the parts, just sitting there longing for a frame.

Headset - Chris King Inset 3 - Red
    I Think it's the inset 2 which goes on the RIP 9 RDO head tube in 44mm up and 56 mm down.

The Inset 3 is for an 44mm top and 49 mm down tapered haed tube.
    Marketing guys know that bicycles lovers still have a child soul... with an adult portofolio

Carbon & Ti rule
    Every time I see 1 it looks better & better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RIP 9 RDO Build Plans-full_2013_niner_rip_9_rdo.jpg  

RIP 9 RDO Build Plans-full_tubes.jpg  

RIP 9 RDO Build Plans-full_suspension.jpg  

mtbr member

RIP 9 RDO Build Plans

Ugh. I built up an alloy RIP a few months ago after spending months wanting one, thinking it would be awhile before I'd want another bike. The folks at Niner are going to have some explaining to do...to my wife.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Niner has announced (via Facebook) that they have started shipping rip 9 rdo frames and complete bikes. I hope my name is on one of them!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quick, someone big and heavy build one of these things! I'm so tempted to get one. My '12 XL rip flexes way too much in the rear triangle, I need to know how the RDO feels. I contacted Niner and they wouldn't say much about relative stiffness between the carbon and aluminum versions and the WFO, other than flex is going to be normal in an XL frame with a heavy guy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hyde,
    A week ago when Niner said they started shipping frames, they told my LBS they hadn't started shipping xl's yet. They said it they should be shipping in 2 weeks, so hopefully I will have one soon!

I have most of the parts ready to go, just waiting on wheels, but I have a spare set to use if they don't get here in time.
    Last edited by DZANINOVICH1; 03-11-2013 at 12:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Got my RIP RDO today. Building it tonight xx1 will have photo's and weight's soon.

mtbr member
    Pics!

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by global View Post
    Got my RIP RDO today. Building it tonight xx1 will have photo's and weight's soon.
    You are lucky,

I have no idea when there will be some in New Zealand.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I guess I now know when mine will turn up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RIP 9 RDO Build Plans-rip9-rdo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Is that your frame?!?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    ugh! I think it is discriminatory that niner isn't shipping xl's yet!

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by jboyd122 View Post
    Is that your frame?!?

mtbr member

RIP 9 RDO Build Plans

Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I guess I now know when mine will turn up.
    So, should be built up in an hour or two? Looking forward to it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hi Muzzanic,

I am very interested how it compares to your jet. A RIP or JET is high on my wishlist.
    My concern with the RIP RDO is that the seatangle is to slack (seeing some pictures) so you get to far behind the pedals if your have a height of about 6.2"and longer legs. Anyway i might be wrong so your pictures and input are welcome.
    Last edited by fatboy66; 03-12-2013 at 12:11 PM.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Check the geo charts and I think you will find the seat angle is quite normal. Any bike with a bent seat tube has a "virtual" seat angle that ignores the bend. The bend starts out much steeper than, say, 73.5 and the upper part is slacker than 73.5 but if you check the angle from the seatpost head to the BB, there you go... 73.5. Problems can arise if you ride your saddle MUCH higher than the point where the Virtual Seat Angle is measured (usually top of Head Tube) because the angle will slacken as you raise the saddle, unlike what it does on a bike with a straight seat tube. 2-3 inches probably not a big deal, but a lot more than that and your seat angle ends up a degree slacker than listed so you need to move your saddle forward to account for this.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy66 View Post
    Hi Muzzanic,

I am very interested how it compares to your yet. A RIP or JET is high on my wishlist.
    My concern with the RIP RDO is that the seatangle is to slack (seeing some pictures) so you get to far behind the pedals if your have a height of about 6.2"and longer legs. Anyway i might be wrong so your pictures and input are welcome.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yes i know what you mean,i run my seat at 800 mm from thecentre of thr cranks.

This also can change things alot with dropper posts so I will let you know.

I'm running a 4 in drop reverb on this bike.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy66 View Post
    Hi Muzzanic,

I am very interested how it compares to your yet. A RIP or JET is high on my wishlist.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Muzzanic,
    Stop posting and get building!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DZANINOVICH1 View Post
    Muzzanic,
    +1

Carbon & Ti rule
    Ok but your not going to get muck out of me for a week untill I have wraped my head around were or if this bike can foot it with the jet9 RDO on the none chunk stuff & How it goes in the ruff.

The track we do on monday nights will be a good starting point because there is no flat at all just steep up & down with lots of big roots on granny gear climbs were you are fighting to keep the front wheel down.

Quote Originally Posted by DZANINOVICH1 View Post
    Muzzanic,

mtbr member
    Awesome! I expect a full report Tuesday morning jk

While you're building and wrapping your head around the capabilities make sure to post lots of pics. I'll have to live vicariously through you. Some of us can't justify multiple RDO's to the to the wife...

mtbr member
    Has anyone purchased this?
    Niner RIP 9 RDO Carbon Shimano XT/Easton Bike
    Niner RIP 9 RDO Carbon Shimano XT/Easton Bike - $5600 Retail Value | Bikes | Niner | www.PricePoint.com

If so, what do you think?
    If not, based on the spec, what do you think? GREAT value for $4300..

I have no experience with the Manitou fork? What's it ride like? Is it versatile or better for big hits and not small chatter, etc...

I have XT brakes and would likely swap the Hayes brakes off.

Doe having Aluminum bars and stem on a Carbon bike defeat much of the vibration muting carbon frames provide? Same question for the EA70 wheelset.

Looks like a compelling price, but don't know if it is cheap for a reason.

Sim
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    It seems like a good deal. I have a Tower Pro 120mm fork I use on my hard tail and ran it on my Rip9 until I got a Pike. Before that I had a 100mm SID. I was very happy with the Tower Pro on the hard tail, much better small bump compliance and more travel is better. I was happy with it on the Rip until I put the Pike on it. Not even in the same ballpark. As I am typing this I am beginning to think the price on this bike is a great deal. The Manitou will work fine, the bike is awesome to ride. Buy it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2