Thread: Rip 9 RDO Build

mtbr member

Rip 9 RDO Build

Put this together a bit over a week ago, racked up about 100 miles so far and absolutely love it! I would take it to bed with me but the fleshlight attachment order was delayed and my wife won't let me.

Special Thanks to Muzzzanic for input on the fork as well as KNYC, JMH & Redball for additional assistance

Quick questions:
    1. Whats the next recommended upgrade? (something to look forward too after i get this paid off lol)

2. Tubes or Tubeless? My LBS insisted that I run tubes (said something about the sealant over time gums up and makes trailside repair very challenging etc) (im 6' 230 lbs (and dropping lol))

Rip 9 RDO Medium
    Full XT
    Rockshox Pike 140
    KS Lev seatpose 100mm
    780mm Niner RDO Handlebars
    70mm Niner Trail Stem
    MRP 2x chainguide
    Crankbrothers Mallet DH pedals
    Stans no tubes Flow EX 29 w/ nobby nics (i'll prob. swap the front for a hans dampf)

mtbr member
    Wow. That thing is beautiful.

I've been running tubeless for a year and have had to do no trailside repairs. I can see it being messy, but all you have to do is throw a tube in there if you cut a sidewall or otherwise flat where the tire's in good enough shape to get you home. To me, the benefits far outweigh the negatives - better grip, lower pressures, and a hard to describe "tubeless feel" which leaves you feeling more connected to the trail. Your Nobby Nics are great tires - I run them myself - but the tread is going to wear out well before you have any sidewall longevity issues.

Tubeless is next, but I can't see anything else I'd upgrade on that thing. MAYBE - and this is just me - dropping the 2x, getting a 32t narrow wide chainring (Wolf Tooth, RaceFace). Including the chain guide, front der., and front shifter, you'll drop over a pound off the bike, and you'll have a super simple setup.

mtbr member
    That's a beautiful build, surely to give you lots of fun and action on the trails! Well done!

If the shop guy really gave you that tubeless advice then he's not telling you the whole story and doing you more harm. The benefits of tubeless far outweigh any minor issues that it may ever bring. Yes, the Stan's sealant may gather up into a latex ball every month or so. You simply take it out when you open up the tire and replace with more Stan's sealant. Yes, it's messier when you slice a sidewall and have to put a tube in (super rare). However, you can run lower PSI and have the tire grips the terrain better and you will not get flats from thorns (super common for everyone). I can't tell you how many thorn holes I find from time to time and the Stan's has filled it up without me knowing.

After all, your rims are made by Stan's Notubes as well...

A Senior
    Apr 2008
    Go tubeless and you will not regret it. Traction, ride quality, all is so much better. At your weight could probably run about 30psi in tires. Maybe 32 in rear. Maybe less.
    I am looking for some tires beefier than my racing Ralph's. They have been great but now that I am riding more in Blue Ridge mountain rocks, I am tearing the sidewalls.
    Trying to decide on Hans dampf or no by nicks, or others.
    Regarding stem length, I am going to try a 50 just to assist with front end lift.

How much rear sag are you running? Are you riding primarily in trail mode?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Redball409 View Post
    Go tubeless and you will not regret it. Traction, ride quality, all is so much better. At your weight could probably run about 30psi in tires. Maybe 32 in rear. Maybe less.
    I am looking for some tires beefier than my racing Ralph's. They have been great but now that I am riding more in Blue Ridge mountain rocks, I am tearing the sidewalls.
    Trying to decide on Hans dampf or no by nicks, or others.
    Regarding stem length, I am going to try a 50 just to assist with front end lift.

How much rear sag are you running? Are you riding primarily in trail mode?
    I would not do the Hans dampf. My knobs started falling off the 1st week of riding. Come to think about it, almost all my Shwalbe tires have wear issues. I'm now running a Chunky Monkey on the front, which is heavy but worth its weight. Oh, and it's cheap!

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot for the advice, i definitely will be trying tubeless in the near future.

I was thinking of going 1x11 with the wolf tooth but decided I wanted 2x10 which helped narrow my decision down to the rip 9.

Once I become a stronger rider (and hopefully prices drop) Iíll probably get 1x11. (Iíve only been biking for a bit less than a year)

Im running just over 25% sag and i do stay in trail mode most of the time. I'll switch it to climb when im riding to trails, or switch it to descend if i know im doing a nice downhill stretch. I love the bike being in full squish.

After reading about that chunky monkey, i am definitely interested in those! .
    Chunky Monkey

trail "cleaner"
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    I would not do the Hans dampf. My knobs started falling off the 1st week of riding. Come to think about it, almost all my Shwalbe tires have wear issues. I'm now running a Chunky Monkey on the front, which is heavy but worth its weight. Oh, and it's cheap!
    ding, ding, ding... I 2nd the Chunky Monkey Extreme trail up front and dual compound Smorgasbord on the rear. Awesome tires that can withstand super chunk with great traction and they roll well. Shiggy did a great job in helping develop these tires. Also... HD's are a piece of CRAP! Our AZ chunk wore those $$$ tires out in less than a month. Not to mention the squirmy feel the knobs give you on anything off camber.
    No dabs allowed!