mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Rip 9 - Monarch shock question - High volume vs DebonAir

This is a general statement followed by a question.

Mountain bikers are an interesting breed. AT times it is difficult for us to simply be happy. It seems there is a never ending quest to make sure we are riding "the best", often times overlooking the incredible ride we are currently on. Often times in ignorance of how much of a change "the best" really brings or doesn't bring.

In this spirit....

I purchased then fully built a Rip 9 Alloy XT build in Septeber of 2013 w/ the 140mm Pike (46mm offset) and KS Lev dropper.

This bike came with the Monarch RT3 "High Volume". The can on this shock is actually labeled "High Volume". I've never thought the shock anything but wonderful. April 1st 2014 reports surface of this new Debon Air upgrade.

So this Debon Air version is a Monarch with a high volume can. Humm, doesn't the Rip 9 come with a Monarch RT3 and high volume can option already installed? Is this entire talk of the Debon Air "upgrade" completely hype when placed in the context of the new Rip 9 Alloy?

Please someone, grant the cure for this ever-the-best illness. Simply confirm that the Monarch RT3 w/ the high volume can is 'the same' as the Debon Air.... or at least makes so little difference that I can simply smile and plan the next ride instead of the next upgrade.
    Last edited by Highlander944; 05-08-2014 at 11:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    From what I read, it's completely different. The Debonair upgrade will make the rear shock perform more like the Pike in front. It has two air chambers, allowing for more volume in both the positive and negative chambers. The bigger negative chamber lets the shock absorb the little stuff, while more volume in the positive chamber lets it ride higher in it's travel and absorb the big hits also, like the Pike does. The increased volume also keeps the travel more linear, so it doesn't ramp up as extremely on those big hits.

I would think the HV can currently on the Monarch will do the latter, but doesn't give you the small bump compliance and feel that the Debonair will do.

First Look: RockShox DebonAir - Monarch Shock Hop-Up Kit - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks rufus, I too read those reviews. The problem I had was baseline. What Monarch did pinkbike use to compare? The cut away caption says "standard" can... so how do the improvements go? From standard to DB noticeable... from HV to DB?

In the 2013 service guide they list a normal and HV can. In the 2014 service guide there is no HV option, does that mean all 2014 models are HV? When pinkbike talked about adding volume is this referenced against the standard 2013 or 2014?

I guess I'll just need to wait until someone actually gets this new shock can in hand.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I plan on doing the debon upgrade this summer. I think It costs about $115
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon