Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Rip 9 frame size advice.

I'm looking at buying a Rip 9. I'm 6' 2.5" tall, but have long legs (36" actual inseem, 34" pant leg), and relatively shorter arms (broad shoulders). I ride mostly in western PA and eastern Ohio, so our trails are typically very tight compared to the open terrain of the western US. As such, I'm thinking size Large vs Xl for the shorter wheel base and reach, but I don't know if the seat tube is long enough. Can anyone comment if they are riding a size large with a similar inseem?

mtbr member
    I have 33" inseam and ride a large, but XL (21") is actually much better fit since im 6'1.

Realize bike size is seat tube length. Your 1.5" taller and +3" inseam. You may end up cramped or on a long stem. Hell being that my bike (I found out recently had my bike for 2yrs) is a size too small, im on a 90mm stem. Tried to drop to 70mm, too cramped but liked steering better.

Realize a little more wheelbase matters alot less than head angle and chainstay length. Ride what fits cause that above all, ride comfort, is most important thing.
    Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    People like myself with a long in seem for their height, tend to fit better on a bike with a shorter top tube, because our reach (a combo of arm and torso length) is disproportionally short. The opposite is true if you have a short inseem for your height, which may be your case. For you the stand over can be a problem with a larger frame, where as my problem may be running out of seat tube length, and dealing with a shorter head tube length.

mtbr member
    Ya and im the other side or ur coin, longer torso shorter legs. Finding shirts long enough is a pain is a**.

Over all id say compare the measurements of ur current rides and compare sizes on rip 9 specs. I had taken your post as looking at bike wheelbase not tt length etc.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My current bikes are a 120mm FS GT Sensor 9r (604 ETT, 74.5 STA, 1155 WB, 440 reach, 90mm stem, 0 offset seatpost with saddle all the way back, 20" seat tube length) and a hardtail Gary Fisher X-cal (645 ETT, 72 STA, 1130 WB, 450 reach, 60mm stem, 0 offset post with saddle in middle, 21" ST length). Both bikes actually fit and handle well.
    Last edited by OhioPT; 12-03-2014 at 06:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Rip 9 frame size advice.

I've been on a L RIP 9 now for 4 years. I'm 6"2 with same inseam as you. Bike fit always a challenge. It works. But, I run a 100mm stem and that leaves me further toward the front axle which is sketchy on tech downhill sections and steering is also less than ideal. Because of my need to have seat post high, I also had to add stack height with longer steerer tube, to get hands even with seat height the way I prefer.

I'm moving to a new xl rdo and I'm hoping to run a 70mm or less stem and be able to keep the steering tube closer to the frame.
    If you're really honest about it, they're all "cheater lines".

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    I've been on a L RIP 9 now for 4 years. I'm 6"2 with same inseam as you. Bike fit always a challenge. It works. But, I run a 100mm stem and that leaves me further toward the front axle which is sketchy on tech downhill sections and steering is also less than ideal. Because of my need to have seat post high, I also had to add stack height with longer steerer tube, to get hands even with seat height the way I prefer.

I'm moving to a new xl rdo and I'm hoping to run a 70mm or less stem and be able to keep the steering tube closer to the frame.
    Thanks, that's exactly the type of input I'm looking for. I know what you mean about the stack height. My Sensor has a 140mm head tube length, and I still have to use 30mm of spacers and a 20-30mm riser bar to get the handlebars to the optimal 1-3" below the saddle horizon. I think having that many spacers and a longer stem places more load on the headset bearings too. So the larger frame is better in that regard. I hate how some bikes are going with low (110-120mm) HT lengths, even in XL: Salsa and Transition come to mind. I can see though why riders with shorter legs need the shorter head tubes. Niner does a good job with proportionally increasing HT length for larger size frames.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Rip 9 frame size advice.

I agree about added load on headset. I've had to replace those too often. I demo'ed rip9 rdo in both L and XL. They had them set up with flat bars, short stems, and low stack. Really liked the steering and realized then I needed the XL to get the stack height where I need it. I'll still likely need a 20mm riser but prefer the way those feel compared to flat bars. The reach felt just right.
    If you're really honest about it, they're all "cheater lines".

mtbr member
    I'm 6'-1.5" with a 36.5" cycling inseam. I tested the L and XL and went with the L. I didn't want the extra reach and felt the large offered a bit more 'flickability'. I run a +10 degree 85mm stem and ENVE riser bars. I use about 25mm spacers under the stem and this puts the grips about level with the seat. Keeping weight on the front wheel is always a challenge for riders with our proportions and especially ones with my limited flexibility. So a longer frame with a shorter stem was definitely counter intuitive for my set up.

I originally had a 70mm stem on the bike but that pushed my weight way too far back and the front end wandered too much on climbs for my liking. I switched to the 85mm stem and moved my seat forward and my cleats backwards about 10-15mm and this has been a much better weight distribution for me.

The SC Tallboy LTc has this short head tube phenomenon as well. One of the reasons I did not go that route.

Also remember that the higher the seat goes the longer the reach becomes. I have plenty of post still in the seat tube with my 125mm KS lev dropper post. So I don't think that should be an issue for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thank you, that is excellent input. It sounds like either frame would work well. The benefit of the large is the shorter wheelbase and keeping more weight on the front tire (shorter front-center), which is better for tighter trails and steeper climbs. The benefit of the XL is the ability to run a shorter stem and distribute more weight backwards (better for lofting the front end over obstacles and gaps), better stability due to the longer wheelbase (at the cost of flick-ability or agility), and needing less spacers under the stem (potentially less stress on the headset bearings). It sounds like the Rip frames fit a little "big" from most of what I've read.

mtbr member
    I would say they do fit a bit large. I also wouldn't worry about the stress on the headset. I have run my bikes with spacers and +rise stems for about 20 years. I still use my original Chris King (from 93') headset in one of my bikes.

Also with my current fit, I can still manual and ride a wheelie very easily. This has to do with where my seat ends up when the there is enough post showing above the top tube. I end up being plenty far behind the bottom bracket.

In my opinion, you could fairly easily fit either bike based on your size.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have 2 friends in the 6'3 range & both ride Lge & like them.

What is your seat height ??

With the seat angle of the Rip9 RDO you may be a lot further back on the bike than you think.

With the bikes standing up un sagged with my wife seat height at 660mm, Running a string line form the back of the seat ( all 3 bikes with same seat ) the distance between the centre of the rear axle & forward to the string line is as follows.

Small Rip9 with seat at 660mm is 140mm
    Lge WFO with seat at My 800mm is 110mm
    Lge Rip9 RDO with seat at my 800mm is 90mm

With seats full down on my bikes

680mm
    Lge WFO 159mm
    Lge Rp9 RDO 138mm

All 3 bikes have reverb & seats set at same point front to back.

I can see it when ridding that tall people can move around much more on a bike.

So when seated I am further over the back wheel of my Rip9 RDO than on the WFO.

So then the setup with reach, With stem length handle bar back sweep/ width come into play.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
    Thank you, that is excellent input. It sounds like either frame would work well. The benefit of the large is the shorter wheelbase and keeping more weight on the front tire (shorter front-center), which is better for tighter trails and steeper climbs. The benefit of the XL is the ability to run a shorter stem and distribute more weight backwards (better for lofting the front end over obstacles and gaps), better stability due to the longer wheelbase (at the cost of flick-ability or agility), and needing less spacers under the stem (potentially less stress on the headset bearings). It sounds like the Rip frames fit a little "big" from most of what I've read.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks muzzanic. How tall are you? Inseem?

I just went into the garage and measured my 120 FS GT Sensor. With no sag, the top of my saddle is 815mm from bottom bracket center. Optimal would be a little higher, but I don't run a dropper so I compromise with a slightly lower seat. The distance from the rear axle to the plumb line dropped off the back of the saddle is 120mm. The sensor has a steep 74.5 degree STA. The distance from the back of my saddle to the center of the handlebars is 815mm. The wheelbase is actually 1170mm unsagged with my 48mm offset fork, so it's basically the same as the XL RIP with a 120mm fork.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    myself: 6'2" 34" inseam. my 2014 Rip9 is a large with a 100mm stem which fits perfect for cross country, 70mm for all mountain trails. 710mm bars, going to try some 740mm bars next

on my Large air9carbon I use a 90mm stem with 710mm bars for all rides

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Mussanic, where is your saddle in relation to the seat post (slammed back, in the middle, or slid forward)? Also, are you using a zero offset seatpost, or a setback? Can you do me a huge favor and measure the horizontal distance from the back of your saddle to the center of the handlebar diameter (at the stem), and also how much drop you have from the saddle to bars? What stem length/rise are you using?

I went ahead and measured my hard tail, and found the distance from the rear axle to the plumb line off the saddle back to be only 82mm. The horizontal distance from saddle back to handlebar center (at the stem) is 825mm, which is pretty close to my GT. The hardtail has 15mm shorter chainstays than my GT (440 vs 455), but the front-center is 13mm shorter (695 vs 708), so I think the weight distribution is similar that way. Keeping the front down on steep climbs is manageable on my hardtail with it's 60mm stem, but definitely more challenging than the GT with the 90mm stem. The hardtail is much easier to wheelie though to clear obstacles.

Shiftless, thanks for another data point!

Carbon & Ti rule
    Hi my seat is about the middle.

I'm 6ft.

I have just got back from camp with my son, I will check distance between seat & bars later tonight.

Mussanic, where is your saddle in relation to the seat post (slammed back, in the middle, or slid forward)? Also, are you using a zero offset seatpost, or a setback? Can you do me a huge favor and measure the horizontal distance from the back of your saddle to the center of the handlebar diameter (at the stem), and also how much drop you have from the saddle to bars? What stem length/rise are you using?

I went ahead and measured my hard tail, and found the distance from the rear axle to the plumb line off the saddle back to be only 82mm. The horizontal distance from saddle back to handlebar center (at the stem) is 825mm, which is pretty close to my GT. The hardtail has 15mm shorter chainstays than my GT (440 vs 455), but the front-center is 13mm shorter (695 vs 708), so I think the weight distribution is similar that way. Keeping the front down on steep climbs is manageable on my hardtail with it's 60mm stem, but definitely more challenging than the GT with the 90mm stem. The hardtail is much easier to wheelie though to clear obstacles.

Shiftless, thanks for another data point!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Rip 9 frame size advice.

Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    I have 33" inseam and ride a large, but XL (21") is actually much better fit since im 6'1.

Realize bike size is seat tube length. Your 1.5" taller and +3" inseam. You may end up cramped or on a long stem. Hell being that my bike (I found out recently had my bike for 2yrs) is a size too small, im on a 90mm stem. Tried to drop to 70mm, too cramped but liked steering better.

Realize a little more wheelbase matters alot less than head angle and chainstay length. Ride what fits cause that above all, ride comfort, is most important thing.
    +1 to this.

I am somewhat of a tweener. Standover height I am good on a large, but reach-wise I should be on a XL.

I am 6'1.5 with a 33" inseam, as well, but I have long arms and a long torso.

My EMD 9 is a large and I ran a 90mm stem to begin with and kept popping up. Had to raise my saddle height, get a 110mm stem and some wider bars to make it all balance correctly.

Competitive cyclist had an awesome bike fit tool on their site, and the iPhone had a good app called size my bike, or something like that.

Check them both out.

But nothing is better than test riding a bike. I am building a rip 9 right now, and I'm starting with a shorter stem at 70mm which will probably be too short for me, but anyway, wanted to work up from there.

Edit:

I'm running 750 bars on both.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Mussanic, can you measure the horizontal distance from the back of your saddle to the center of the handlebar diameter (at the stem), and also how much drop you have from the saddle to bars? What stem length/rise are you using?

Oh, last question: what is the length of seatpost that you have exposed when your post is fully extended (from the top of the frame's seat tube to the bottom of the saddle clamp). I'm trying to figure out if the seatpost I already have in my parts bin is long enough.

Carbon & Ti rule
    From back of seat to middle of bars is 805mm with my 55mm 0deg stem.

From seat clamp to seat rails is 250mm ( WTB standard seat ) ( The Niner WTB seat I have is approx 15mm thinner from rails to the top of seat & would be great for shorter people that need the extra room for dropper post )

There is 84mm drop from seat to bars with my seat at 800mm & with 35mmof spacers under my Hope stem ( 55mm 0 Deg )

Mussanic, can you measure the horizontal distance from the back of your saddle to the center of the handlebar diameter (at the stem), and also how much drop you have from the saddle to bars? What stem length/rise are you using?

Oh, last question: what is the length of seatpost that you have exposed when your post is fully extended (from the top of the frame's seat tube to the bottom of the saddle clamp). I'm trying to figure out if the seatpost I already have in my parts bin is long enough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    From back of seat to middle of bars is 805mm with my 55mm 0deg stem.

From seat clamp to seat rails is 250mm ( WTB standard seat ) ( The Niner WTB seat I have is approx 15mm thinner from rails to the top of seat & would be great for shorter people that need the extra room for dropper post )

There is 84mm drop from seat to bars with my seat at 800mm & with 35mmof spacers under my Hope stem ( 55mm 0 Deg )
    Thank you very much! Sounds like I would need a 70mm stem with some rise, and a 375-400mm seat post, and the Large frame would be a decent fit.

What width and rise are your handlebars?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Hi I have Niner 780mm Flat bars on my Rip9 RDO, But I think they are just a little to wide for me.

I have 760mm low rise bars on the Rip9 alloy & WFO9 & I like the 760mm a little more.

Thank you very much! Sounds like I would need a 70mm stem with some rise, and a 375-400mm seat post, and the Large frame would be a decent fit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Rip 9 frame size advice.

Rip 9 Seatpost recommendation is 375 if I recall correctly

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just bought a Large RIP 9 RDO and built it up today and here are my thoughts on size.
    I'm 6 ft on the dot and regularly proportioned in the sense I dont think my legs, torso or arms would be considered long or short and usually when a size is recommended for a 6 footer it works great for me.
    The Niner is almost that, if I went for a medium it would be too compact front to back, but hiking the seat up I would probably be fine. The large is perfect from an arms length standpoint, and I dont think using a longer stem on a medium is a good idea (it detracts from the handling you will get from a shorter stem on a frame with a longer top tube).
    So the large is right on the money for me, well almost. When I added a Rockshox seat dropper, the lowest the seat will go is actually about 1.5 inches higher than the seat collar (due to the Rockshox design). Ideally I'd like to get down another inch for really hardcore descents, but I'll live with this. I could add a bit more sag and get down a bit too, will try some tuning. But for a 6 ft tall person, the large is a pretty good fit. But I think if you are 6'2" or even 6'3" it could fit well (assuming you dont have a really long torso).

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks! I'm convinced that because of my short torso/arm length, Large is best for me.

Always Learning
    Thanks! I'm convinced that because of my short torso/arm length, Large is best for me.
    You'd be better off sitting on both the XL and the L. I'd be leaning XL all the way based on what you have mentioned above. I think Niner bikes run "small" for their size which is contrary to what others have said above.

I'm a half inch taller than you, and my cycling inseam is actually 1/2" shorter than yours. I ride the XL RIP using a negative -15 degree 130mm stem with a 120mm fork. I still feel like a frickin' moose on the size XL as an iddy-biddy bike. I ride 180mm length cranks which helps keep the saddle down a smidge compared to shorter cranks.

I know the size L would be way too tiny for me requiring lots of plumbing issues to make it work - and my seatpost would be like I was sitting on top of a ladder. I take XL in all the mountain bike frames I ride (Salsa, Trek, Niner, Surly), and I rock a 64cm Specialized road bike.

My 130mm stem -15 is slammed with no spacers. Saddle is all the way aft on my Thomson post.

Standover is no issue for guys our height - especially on the Niner FS frame designs.

Do you have a chance to sit on a RIP or JET in size XL and L anywhere? Tossing a leg over both really is the way to get an exact idea. I'd worry about keeping the front end down on a size L with the seatpost jack and aft position you would need to run for your height and leg length.

Guys with our leg length aren't able to buy pants off the rack very often - unless we are dressing for high water...
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 12-14-2014 at 04:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast