mtbr member
    Feb 2013

RIP 9 chain suck with 3x9: new crank or convert to 2x9?

I have a 2011 RIP 9 setup as a 3x9 with Race Face crank. Apparently this combination is notorious for chain suck issues, which I experience nearly every ride. Not to mention the annoying chain slap.

Found this in some research: DIY ghetto chain suck solution

Question: is anyone having luck running a 3x setup on their RIP 9? If so, what crankset are you using? I'm considering the Shimano XT FC-M770.

If 2x9 is more optimal, I'm looking at the Race Face Turbine. Other 2x9 crank recommendations?

Thanks

Carbon & Ti rule
    I had triple work well with 40 tooth large ring.

With the new clutch type rear derailleur there should be less chance of chain suck & chain slap.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Cool, so maybe it is the Race Face triple/RIP combo that's just no good, per that thread.

Now, a 9-speed rear derailleur with clutch?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by JasBluBoi View Post
    Cool, so maybe it is the Race Face triple/RIP combo that's just no good, per that thread.

Now, a 9-speed rear derailleur with clutch?
    No

Do your self a favor & put 10 speed shifter on RH side, 10 speed cassette & clutch derailleur on.

You will be much happier in the end.

Carbon & Ti rule
    When I had that model of Rip9 I ended going back from a triple to a double & found with the 9speed setup that with a 36 tooth ring most of the chain slap was gone & all of the chain suck.

FWIW

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Well this got complicated and I've analyzed it to death, but because my drive train is setup 9-speed SRAM with Twist Shifters, I opted to go with a new Shimano XT 3x9 crankset. I will be replacing the big ring with a bash guard, and the middle with a 36 tooth ring.

I was looking at the XT 2x10 crankset, but was told it's not compatible with the SRAM XO 9-speed twist shifters. Plus I wanted the 22/36 tooth setup.

So I'll be running 2x9 (22/36/bash) with the option of going back to 3x if I feel so inclined. Hoping the shorter chain eliminates noise/slap. If I'm not satisfied, I may try a medium cage rear derailleur.

I wrapped the chainstay near the rings with some heavy duty electrical tape and didn't have any chain suck issues on my last ride. Ghetto fix, but it seems to be working.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    [QUOTE=JasBluBoi;10779177I was looking at the XT 2x10 crankset, but was told it's not compatible with the SRAM XO 9-speed twist shifters. Plus I wanted the 22/36 tooth setup. [/QUOTE]

Whoever told you that is incorrect. I'm running exactly that combination on my RIP 9. XT 2x10 (38/26) with SRAM X0 9 speed gripshift and it works fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    Whoever told you that is incorrect. I'm running exactly that combination on my RIP 9. XT 2x10 (38/26) with SRAM X0 9 speed gripshift and it works fine.
    Well sonofa***** that's what I wanted! 38/24 though. What derailleurs are you running?

R
    Well sonofa***** that's what I wanted! 38/24 though. What derailleurs are you running?
    I'm running the matching Shimano XT 2x10 front derailleur - FD-M786 and a medium cage SRAM XO rear derailleur. Oh and using a Shimano XT 9 speed M770 11-34 cassette and SRAM PC-991 chain. All works amazingly smoothly. Front shifts are quite a bit better than when I was running Shimano 3x9 crankset and no more problems dropping the chain off the small ring.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    R

I'm running the matching Shimano XT 2x10 front derailleur - FD-M786 and a medium cage SRAM XO rear derailleur. Oh and using a Shimano XT 9 speed M770 11-34 cassette and SRAM PC-991 chain. All works amazingly smoothly. Front shifts are quite a bit better than when I was running Shimano 3x9 crankset and no more problems dropping the chain off the small ring.
    Ok that's the ticket. Is the rear DR 9 speed? Now I have to exchange some stuff. Thank you for the input!

s the rear DR 9 speed?
    Yeap, 9 speed.