Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

RIP 9 Chain guide?

Has anyone fit a chain guide onto their RIP 9? I have a MRP 1.X on mine and it's not quite enough to keep the chain on in all situations. Plus my chain has been wreaking havoc on my rear rim and spokes, drive side only, even though I have everything as tensioned as I can get it. I don't think this frame is supposed to be descending while you are in the middle ring position. Anyone else have this issue?

If you've found one that fits without much fabricating please let me know. Thanks.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by capslayer
    Has anyone fit a chain guide onto their RIP 9? I have a MRP 1.X on mine and it's not quite enough to keep the chain on in all situations. Plus my chain has been wreaking havoc on my rear rim and spokes, drive side only, even though I have everything as tensioned as I can get it. I don't think this frame is supposed to be descending while you are in the middle ring position. Anyone else have this issue?

If you've found one that fits without much fabricating please let me know. Thanks.
    I tried a blackspire stinger but eventually gave up. I was able to get it to clear the pivot with some grinding on the back plate, but never got it to play nicely with my crankset. I will probably look at it again this winter.

JMH

mtbr member
    I am running an e-thirteen on a jet9 and had the same on an stump jumper 29er and a misfit dissent all were 1x9 hope this helps
    http://www.e13components.com/product_xcx.html
    biking makes it better

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by single-trac-mind
    I am running an e-thirteen on a jet9 and had the same on an stump jumper 29er and a misfit dissent all were 1x9 hope this helps
    http://www.e13components.com/product_xcx.html
    Neither the e.thirteen xcx or MRP 1.x is designed to keep your chain on a single ring setup with 100% certainty. It can still bounce off in rough terrain.

If you want greater security you need a chainguide of some sort that has a top guide AND a lower roller or pulley. Or if you are running two rings, a lower roller like the Stinger.

to the OP - you mentioned the middle ring... does this mean you are using a 2 ring setup? Or a 1x9?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Capslayer,

I've asked around the office your particular bike does have some fit issues that make it tricky to recommend with certainty the best guide option....for now.

We are bringing in a Rip tomorrow and trying some of our new products on it. We'll let you know what we find out.

Cheers
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    We just tested the fit of our new Lopes guide on the Rip and it's a winner. The BB squeeze mount version is shipping now. Check it out....

http://www.sicklines.com/2010/04/16/...d-lopes-guide/
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    [QUOTE=NoahColorado]We just tested the fit of our new Lopes guide on the Rip and it's a winner. The BB squeeze mount version is shipping now. Check it out....

Those are dead-sexy... anything in the works that will work with two rings and a front gorilla? That's where I am hitting the wall.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Here it is on the bike. MRP Lopes SL guide w/ Camber Crank

JMH, I'm not aware of any products in our current lineup that will work with 2 ring on that bike. But we're always coming with new stuff!
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Sweet! That Lopes guide looks perfect. The Straitline guide also looks like it would work if they made it in a bottom bracket mounted version.

I ended up buying a Gamut P20 and after a little modifying it works great. I just had to take the lower pulley nut off the back and cut the excess bolt off flush with the back. Then, in order to get the bolt to stay in the boomerang I semi crushed half the threads and used heavy duty lock tite. I took it on a couple long rough descents yesterday and it worked great. It's amazing how much less noise the bike makes while descending when you have a good guide. Very confidence inspiring.

I will be getting the Lopes guide this winter when I get the extra cash.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Anyone know if an MRP System 3 or 1 or 2 will fit on the RIP 9? The lopes one looks good but I can't find it anywhere for sale.

Edit: the MRP G2 mini-g looks like it would fit and I wouldn't mind the bash guard... anyone try one?
    Last edited by norcom; 08-22-2010 at 10:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The G2 mini G won't work because of the bashguard. I would wait for the Lopes or modify a Gamut P-20. The new Straitline looks like it would work if they made it in a BB mount version.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by capslayer
    The G2 mini G won't work because of the bashguard. I would wait for the Lopes or modify a Gamut P-20. The new Straitline looks like it would work if they made it in a BB mount version.
    The new BB mount Lopes is available direct from MRP right now. I'm hoping to pick that one up sometime soon.

trail "cleaner"

chain drops to BB shell?

If you all are having this problem.... just see my good buddy
    www.ronniering.com These are installed on all of my rides and I NEVER drop a chain. These fit with no issue on the RIP.
    No dabs allowed!

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    What Chain Guides Work with WFO?

This thread about WFO chainguides also shows a Stinger mounted on my RIP with a detail of the mod I made to clear the lower pivot.

No more chain dropping off the big ring.

JMH

mtbr member
    Any chance the new MRP 2X chainguide works on the RIP?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by dubjay View Post
    Any chance the new MRP 2X chainguide works on the RIP
    No chance. Sorry.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

mtbr member
    Reviving an old thread with a new question... Does the AMg fit on a RIP spec'd with an XX1 crank?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Reviving an old thread with a new question... Does the AMg fit on a RIP spec'd with an XX1 crank?
    Does anyone have any riding experience using the Lopes guide on their RIP?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Does anyone have any riding experience using the Lopes guide on their RIP?
    I think I answered my own question and for the gear I have. I'm going with a Rohloff chain guide to run a 1 x 9.

Wanderer
    I've been using the Rohloff chain guide for several years.

Its pretty decent, made of aluminum so you can dremel it to fit if needed. I use it on a hardtail 1x9 and it holds the chain well but I can still lose it from time to time.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Toff View Post
    I've been using the Rohloff chain guide for several years.

Its pretty decent, made of aluminum so you can dremel it to fit if needed. I use it on a hardtail 1x9 and it holds the chain well but I can still lose it from time to time.
    It's working great!!! No drops, but maybe using the Rotor Q singlespeed ring with the taller teeth is what is helping that.

P1010065

P1010064

66g above. But that's before I do this to it with a drill press and some elbow grease....

jonesblog_b4

Carbon & Ti rule
    Here is a pic of mine.

mtbr member
    You have gotten really bad with your picture posting ability...lol...
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Here is a pic of mine.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    You have gotten really bad with your picture posting ability...lol...
    Ah but that is the Chain guide I run, LOL

mtbr member
    I get it buddy....

I am still waiting on your picture for the cover, over, your front derail mount. I built one out of a hard plastic but the bolts I had to mount it were too long and I lost interest and just slapped some electrical tape on it.

Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Ah but that is the Chain guide I run, LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast