mtbr member

RIP 9 - 6'-4" and 25-1/4" top tube...

I just grabbed a clearance 2011 RIP9 from Jenson to replace my 429. At 6-4, the 25-3/4" top tube of the 429 was perfect for me with a 100mm stem and Thomson lay back post. I know the RIP is slightly more on the trail/am side of things, so maybe I'm reading too much into the shorter tt and will have to adjust to a slightly more upright position. Are you taller RIP owners feeling at home on your XLs?

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Qfactor03 View Post
    I just grabbed a clearance 2011 RIP9 from Jenson to replace my 429. At 6-4, the 25-3/4" top tube of the 429 was perfect for me with a 100mm stem and Thomson lay back post. I know the RIP is slightly more on the trail/am side of things, so maybe I'm reading too much into the shorter tt and will have to adjust to a slightly more upright position. Are you taller RIP owners feeling at home on your XLs?

Go with what you know. Star with your XL, layback post and a 100m stem. Most the folks I know are instead going with shorter stems and wider bars, and are very, very happy with the setup. YMMV, you won't know until you try it. Or keep your 100mm stem and forget the layback post.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

Always Learning
    I'm about your height on the XL RIP. I had to go with zero spacers, negative flipped 120mm stem (-6) to get the "perfect" right feel (and that's with a 120mm fork up front).

Nics

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses.

Bruce, from looking at your bike, it looks like I'll try the lay back post with the 100mm stem first. I prefer to be further back over the rear wheel (at least on the Pivot, though this may be different on the RIP). It just seems to better balance the bike to me and makes it easier to get the front end lighter through rough sections and also when a manual is needed over a ledge, rocks, etc. I'm really looking forward to the RIP, though. The Pivot is a fast accelerator and pedals extremely well, but it is on the firmer end of the scale as far as feel. From everything I've read, the RIP is going to pedal well and feel plusher as well. Almost everything will transfer over to the RIP, all I have to do is takes the spacer out of the Reba RLT Ti to bump it back up to 120.

Always Learning
    Thanks for the responses.

Bruce, from looking at your bike, it looks like I'll try the lay back post with the 100mm stem first. I prefer to be further back over the rear wheel (at least on the Pivot, though this may be different on the RIP). It just seems to better balance the bike to me and makes it easier to get the front end lighter through rough sections and also when a manual is needed over a ledge, rocks, etc. I'm really looking forward to the RIP, though. The Pivot is a fast accelerator and pedals extremely well, but it is on the firmer end of the scale as far as feel. From everything I've read, the RIP is going to pedal well and feel plusher as well. Almost everything will transfer over to the RIP, all I have to do is takes the spacer out of the Reba RLT Ti to bump it back up to 120.
    Set back should work for you. As you can see in the photo, I've got the seat slammed all the way back on the straight stick Thomson post. On my XL JET 9, same thing - slammed all the way back, but I use the Syntace setback P6 post which allows me to get the seat back a bit more and I can get away with a shorter 105mm negative flipped stem.

At the very least, if you're like me, you'll mess around with posts, stems, bars, saddle fore/aft until you get what you prefer for your riding needs.

mtbr member
    I received the frame on Tuesday and started the build last night. Unfortunately, the brake hose for the rear is short. The down tube routing of the RIP requires about 4" more length than the 429 did with under top tube routing. One thing that surprised me was the size of the tubes at the head tube junction. Those square tubes are freaking MASSIVE! I was really hoping to get it out on the trails this weekend, but the brake issue won't be resolved until next week.

Always Learning
    I received the frame on Tuesday and started the build last night. Unfortunately, the brake hose for the rear is short. The down tube routing of the RIP requires about 4" more length than the 429 did with under top tube routing. One thing that surprised me was the size of the tubes at the head tube junction. Those square tubes are freaking MASSIVE! I was really hoping to get it out on the trails this weekend, but the brake issue won't be resolved until next week.
    Now you know why I run Avid BB7's. Piece of cake to alter the cable/housing length and be up and running in minutes...

BB

mtbr member
    Nothing but BB7s on the rigid single speed for the past five years. If you know the tricks to set them up properly, they can be one finger stoppers for sure.

The RIP is almost complete. Final 1x guide adjustments and rear derailleur cables and that's about it. I'll get the bigger fit adjustments made in the driveway tomorrow afternoon and have it ready for the trails Sunday morning. I just hope the rain breaks and a little sun shows by then.

mtbr member
    Third ride on the RIP tomorrow morning and I can't wait. This bike is simply a blast. I was concerned about handling coming from the 429, but with the Reba set at 120, it tears through tight, twisty trails just as well. I haven't even been tempted to switch on the pro pedal as suspension bob is negligible and the ride is nice and plush. The fit seems spot on so far. The position is definitely more trail than XC, and so far my lower back appreciates it.

mtbr member
    Well, I wound up switching to a straight post. The bend in the seat tube makes the geo numbers deceiving. I was too far back and just didn't feel centered on the bike. With the straight post, the ride just feels more balanced, the front end feels more planted and corners better for me. The Thomson lay back post barely worked with this frame. To get the saddle level, one of the bolts is almost out of the threads. I'm very pleased with the RIP. It definitely puts a grin on your face.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Set back should work for you. As you can see in the photo, I've got the seat slammed all the way back on the straight stick Thomson post. On my XL JET 9, same thing - slammed all the way back, but I use the Syntace setback P6 post which allows me to get the seat back a bit more and I can get away with a shorter 105mm negative flipped stem.

At the very least, if you're like me, you'll mess around with posts, stems, bars, saddle fore/aft until you get what you prefer for your riding needs.