Custom User Title

Right in between frame sizes.

Im gonna do it. Im going to pull the trigger and get the new Rip9. But before I do I just need a bit of advice or opinion and whatever else. Im right in between small and medium frame sizes. About 5' 9" according to the tape measure with my riding shoes. I know it would be best to go demo one, but thats not very feasible as the nearest bike shop with a Niner in it is over 500 miles away... Which frame size would you recommend? Or would either be fine as Im right in that zone?

Thanks.
    Slightly faster than a speeding snail.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I would put you on a Med for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Atcher View Post
    Im gonna do it. Im going to pull the trigger and get the new Rip9. But before I do I just need a bit of advice or opinion and whatever else. Im right in between small and medium frame sizes. About 5' 9" according to the tape measure with my riding shoes. I know it would be best to go demo one, but thats not very feasible as the nearest bike shop with a Niner in it is over 500 miles away... Which frame size would you recommend? Or would either be fine as Im right in that zone?

Thanks.

Custom User Title
    I was leaning towards a medium too but just wanted an opinion on what would be better. Now I just need to let my bike shop know so they can get everything ordered. Is there still a shortage of frames? I know there were a bunch of frames that were on a month or two backorder when the new Rip came out. I think it was mostly the small frame though right? Any word on the medium frame supply? Not like I need the bike right now, just an estimate on the wait until it ships. Or my bike shop will tell me. Either way.

Thanks!

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have no Idea what there stock levels are like.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Atcher View Post
    I was leaning towards a medium too but just wanted an opinion on what would be better. Now I just need to let my bike shop know so they can get everything ordered. Is there still a shortage of frames? I know there were a bunch of frames that were on a month or two backorder when the new Rip came out. I think it was mostly the small frame though right? Any word on the medium frame supply? Not like I need the bike right now, just an estimate on the wait until it ships. Or my bike shop will tell me. Either way.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Medium. You are at the way high end of the range for a small. I'm 5'7" and demoed a Med and despite being at the low end for height for a Med, it felt fine. I asked the same question for my height and I got an equal small/medium recommendations. For you, I'd definitely get a Med.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Go Medium and run a 70mm or shorter stem to get a comfortable cockpit length. This should give you the best of both worlds - XC comfort and stability with the maneuverability and confidence of a short stem/wide bar combo. I take the same approach with a Large frame since I am also capable of squeezing onto the Medium.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I vote medium for now as the bike can do more work and its usually best to have as much frame and as little bolt on as possible.

I vote medium for later because at some point you will likely sell this bike and the market for medium frames is bigger than the market for small ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Medium. You are at the way high end of the range for a small. I'm 5'7" and demoed a Med and despite being at the low end for height for a Med, it felt fine. I asked the same question for my height and I got an equal small/medium recommendations. For you, I'd definitely get a Med.
    Did you buy a Medium? How do you like it now? I'm debating on this.. my wife is 5'7", and about to pull the trigger on a bike for her, and can't decide between small/med. Thanks, sorry to highjack!

OP, I'd go medium as well.. I'm just an inch taller, I can't imagine going down, Medium is perfect.

Custom User Title
    Thanks everyone for the input. After a unanimous decision, it is decided that a medium frame would be best. Now just one more choice to make. Most likely the most difficult choice Ill ever have to make. What color? While the licorice would go great with my black and white monochrome theme, the green does look quite good. Ill have to give that one a good thought before I order this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Green, if the black were anno I'd lean that way. But I think the green paint on the new RIP looks way better than the black, and I only own black bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post
    Did you buy a Medium? How do you like it now? I'm debating on this.. my wife is 5'7", and about to pull the trigger on a bike for her, and can't decide between small/med. Thanks, sorry to highjack!

OP, I'd go medium as well.. I'm just an inch taller, I can't imagine going down, Medium is perfect.
    Having never ridden a small, I can't compare. Its only a .5" top tube difference so you can probably compensate with a short stem. I'd look at stand over too. Were it any bigger, I'd be on a small and not a medium. I have just enough space to stand over the bike and I won't lie that getting a leg over isn't easy, but I'm also a stiff mofo who needs to stretch