mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Ride comparison between these 2 Niners

Any Niner owners who had both the RIP and the SIR? Please share your opinions of both rides and comparison.

mtbr member
    HT vs FS comparison?

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have owned both and the are two completely different bikes. You cant really compare them to each other. My sir9 was set up as a rigid single speed with the niner carbon fork. The ride was compliant and handling superb. It was my first rigid and I didn't think that a rigid bike could be as smooth. Being a rigid you have to pick your line on the other hand the rip is an animal. You can point the rip where you want to go and it will do it. The rip is much more laterally stiff and can hold its line extremely well. I am amazed how fast the rip can go through rough terrain it wants to be ridden fast.

mtbr member
    I own a RIP and full rigid EMD. There is now way you can compare the two. Two totally differnent bikes. And like Red Rocket said the RIP its a point and go bike. A do it all bike that will stop at nothing you put in its path. If you can go test ride a RIP see what its about.
    1983 Ross Custom Deluxe Mtb
    2009 GF Cobia
    2011 NINER EMD
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Just sold my RIP ( swapped for a Jet frame with less travel and lower build weight). I have kept the SIR9 SS rigid with carbon fork.

I have been having more fun on the SIR9.

As others said, totally different bikes. You need to say what style of rider you are and what kind of terrain you want to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for all the replies so far and sorry for not being too descriptive.

I currently own a rigid SIR9 and I do enjoy it a lot. Have recently secured a RIP frame (Awaiting shipping) and was wondering if I should keep the SIR (My wife will protest that we do not have space for more bikes at home) or not? Seems like both bikes will give me great enjoyment and that it will be difficult to choose one over the other.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Of course you should keep the SIR9.

mtbr member
    Definitely agree that you should keep the Sir9.

My original reply to your post was because I was a bit puzzled as to why you would compare these two bikes. There is no comparing ... especially since your Sir9 is rigid.

Having a full rigid and a full sus is the best of both worlds. I have a full rigid One9 SS and a full sus Ellsworth Evolve, both high end builds.

Guess which one gets ridden more?

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    I have a Jet and SIR SS Rigid and think it's the perfect combination of bikes to own. I had a One 9 Scandium for a short 3 months because the missus asked me to thin the herd. With a Niner Squish (Jet or RIP) and SIR you'll have the best of all worlds.

Definitely keep the SIR.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Wow! If this thread continues to build with more suggestions to keep both bikes, I will definitely direct my wife to this thread to show her!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I kept my Sir after i got my rip until i made the mistake of test riding an Air 9 carbon. 3 niners may be to many.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    An update to this thread just in case someone asks the same question:-

It's been a few months since I had gotten my RIP9 built up. I have been riding my RIP9 a lot lately because I am toying around with different stems, bars, tires and yes! My conclusion is the same as everyone else. Although both bikes look similar with 2 wheels each, the difference is day & night for both bikes. My wife has been puzzled with my insistence to keep both bikes now and my reply is "Both bikes are used differently. Just like ladies' handbags, you don't only use one for 365 days a year."

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by FireSpitter View Post
    An update to this thread just in case someone asks the same question:-

It's been a few months since I had gotten my RIP9 built up. I have been riding my RIP9 a lot lately because I am toying around with different stems, bars, tires and yes! My conclusion is the same as everyone else. Although both bikes look similar with 2 wheels each, the difference is day & night for both bikes. My wife has been puzzled with my insistence to keep both bikes now and my reply is "Both bikes are used differently. Just like ladies' handbags, you don't only use one for 365 days a year."
    No , no,no, no, no

Bikes are not like handbags, you only need 3 or 4 of those, Bikes are Like shoes & we know how mauy of those you need.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FireSpitter View Post
    "Both bikes are used differently. Just like ladies' handbags, you don't only use one for 365 days a year."
    You are a very brave man.....

I love it.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    According to "the Rules" the correct number of bikes is N+1 where N is the number of bikes you currently own.

JMH
    Last edited by JMH; 12-07-2012 at 10:09 AM.