- MILES RIDDEN - 28
    - FRAME SIZE - LARGE
    - FULL WEIGHT (W/ PEDALS) - 25lbs 10oz
    - BUILD - FULL X0, STANS ARCH EX WHEELS, HOPE PRO 2 EVO HUBS,
    NINER RDO SEAT, NINER RDO BAR, NINER STEM,
    SELLE CARBONIO SADDLE
    - CABLE ROUTING - EARLY 2013 FRAME WITH FULL DERAILLEUR
    HOUSING REAR (W/ NINER KIT)

Following a cracked Frame issue that resulted in a warranty that I carried out through Comp Cyclist, I now have a 2013 Jet 9 RDO. All in all, these were the same bike due to simply swapping over parts. The only difference was that I installed a Type 2 RD to avoid the chain drop issues I was having on the front chainring.

Visually, I really liked my all black 2012 RDO (aka The Dark Knight). However, I am a fan of Green, so I am happy here with The Hulk. The rear end changes are nice, I like how the brake caliper mounts inside the frame, is it an advantage, no, it just looks nice. The added carbon on the swing arm looks pretty slick as well. You can also notice some subtle changes with alloy hardware backing on the linkages, and a few more details that were ironed out in this production series.

First off, I was so relieved to be riding the Jet again, as I spent my last ride on an aluminum hardtail demo, and I realized how spoiled I was with the Jet RDO in general. Within the first few tenths of a mile, I could feel a significant increase in lateral stiffness, especially coming from the lower linkage. I would attribute this to the 12mm through axle rear end. On my 2012, I could notice a large amount of flex, especially in the lower linkage. It was not bothersome, or highly noticeable while riding, but when I would clean up my bike after a ride, it seemed to really stand out.

While the Type 2 RD really helped to reduce any noise coming from the drivetrain, I did notice a lot of noise coming from the carbon swing arm. It seemed to echo trail chatter consistently. A minor nuisance, and I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it is definately louder than the alloy swing arm on the 2012 model.

I really only noticed very subtle differences in handling. The added stiffness was welcomed on technical ascents and slow speed maneuvering, but required some riding adjustment on descents over loose terrain. The ride was very quiet due to the T2 RD, but when it got bumpy or technical, the carbon swing arm was chattering.

As far as speed and performance. I did end up averaging .16 mph less than previous runs on the 2012. I could consistently average 10 mph, even with a climb on the Rock Garden Trail (a booger of a 600 ft climb over 3 mile span). I had one PR on STRAVA descending the Rock Garden, a second best, and a third best, but for the most part, not too many acheivements to speak of in favor of the 2013. However, we are talking mid July, and I'm a month removed from racing, as these can absolutely skew any factors on my performance and ability to acheive PR's.

Final thoughts, if you are riding a 2011-2012 Jet 9 RDO, just be happy with what you have. The differences are nice, certainly aesthetically pleasing, but not so significant as too justify the added cost. I have yet to realize an immediate performance improvement. However, I will make an attempt to update as I have more relevant experience to speak of.

REVIEW:  My Thoughts on 2013 J9 RDO vs 2012 J9 RDO-hulk-1.jpg
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

Moosehead
    Thumbsup PM. Glad it worked out. Admittedly, I check my seattube most every ride in fear. This AM had a particularly rowdy trail ride and laid her down once as well. What I thought was a visible crease in the noted area turned out to be salt from sweat. The J9RDO continues to impress.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Mr. McDermott, question, so the last frame cracked and CC warranteed the issue with the new version? Did you have to pay any upgrade charges? I ask because I thought Niner was only exchanging apples for apples on this deal. Another words the old Jet 9 RDO for the Jet 9 Carbon. But I have heard that CC has really gone far beyond for many on this issue. Props to them, and their customer relations. I'm glad I bought my frame off them incase I encounter a crack. Hey, love the report, very good. Does this green hulk have the newer cable routing? You didn't post a picture of the other side of the bike.

mtbr member
    It was an even swap, I put up the money for the frame as collateral, and everything was refunded as soon as they received my cracked frame. They even paid for shipping. Comp Cyclist really stepped up IMO.

The cable routing is the exact same as my 2012 model, so it was obviously a first run 2013 model. No worries though, I had no shifting issues with my 2012 (not full housing RD), and I installed the updated full housing on this frame simply to play it safe. Shifting was excellent, perhaps even slightly smoother with the NINER recommended full housing kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Mr. McDermott, question, so the last frame cracked and CC warranteed the issue with the new version? Did you have to pay any upgrade charges? I ask because I thought Niner was only exchanging apples for apples on this deal. Another words the old Jet 9 RDO for the Jet 9 Carbon. But I have heard that CC has really gone far beyond for many on this issue. Props to them, and their customer relations. I'm glad I bought my frame off them incase I encounter a crack. Hey, love the report, very good. Does this green hulk have the newer cable routing? You didn't post a picture of the other side of the bike.
    Last edited by Dry Cownty Brewer; 07-22-2013 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Elaborate on Exchange Process with CC

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Pynis McDermott View Post
    A minor nuisance, and I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it is definately louder than the alloy swing arm on the 2012 model.
    Alloy swing arm? My 2012 is full carbon, I am confused.

mtbr member
    Really.....Ok, I'll defer to my Uncle Google on this one. If you were to type in a Google search for Jet 9 RDO New for 2013, you might come accross this article. Niner Unveils Updated Jet 9 RDO, Adds Jet 9 Carbon Or one of the many others, all in agreement, stating that new for 2013, the J9 RDO will have a 142x12 rear triangle and carbon linkages. It is possible that you may have purchased your bike in 2012, but it was actually a 2013 model. FTR, cars and trucks typically work this way also.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdub View Post
    Alloy swing arm? My 2012 is full carbon, I am confused.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I think we are confusing terms here OP's new frame has carbon linkages/swing arms I guess. Both bikes have carbon front and rear triangles.