mtbr member

Revelation vs. Pike Rip9 RDO

My LBS is ordering my first FS bike, a rip9 RDO today and Im absolutely stoked!
    I was originally planning on just ordering the frame + shock with a custom build but it turns out i could save money by ordering a complete bike and upgrading from there.

I originally wanted a 140 pike on the bike but now it is coming with a 130 Revelation. My LBS suggested either selling the revelation and buying the pike or riding with the revelation and upgrading later. They think i could get between $500-$700 for the revelation.

What do you think, should i ride the revelation or is the pike a significant upgrade that I should do now? (mostly XC riding with some DH / Parks).
    Thanks!
    Jason

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have had both on my Rip9 RDO & the Revelation is a very nice fork & you would be very happy with it, Right up until you got you 1st ride on a Pike.

The Pike is a real Wow when you 1st ride it & it just gets better from there.

If you can afford the Pike, Go for it.

The Revelation isn't a bad fork, In fact I like the way it works more than the Fox34.

It's just that the fact that the PIKE is a STAND OUT.

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks for getting back to me Muzz!
    Now i'll have to decide between the pike and carbon wheels lol!
    J

A Senior
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jongalt26 View Post
    My LBS is ordering my first FS bike, a rip9 RDO today and Im absolutely stoked!
    I was originally planning on just ordering the frame + shock with a custom build but it turns out i could save money by ordering a complete bike and upgrading from there.

I originally wanted a 140 pike on the bike but now it is coming with a 130 Revelation. My LBS suggested either selling the revelation and buying the pike or riding with the revelation and upgrading later. They think i could get between $500-$700 for the revelation.

What do you think, should i ride the revelation or is the pike a significant upgrade that I should do now? (mostly XC riding with some DH / Parks).
    Thanks!
    Jason
    Upgraded wheels or upgraded fork? Tough call.
    How much do you weigh?

Selling a brand new never ridden fork will get you at least 100 more than one that was ridden a couple of times.

If I had to pick one.... I would and did upgrade my fork. But that's me, your results may vary depending on size and intentions or applications of riding bike. More xc or more trail?
    Keep us posted.

mtbr member
    I decided to go with the Pike and ebay'd the original revelation. It's been awesome but I don't have the ability to compare it to the revelation since i didn't try it out. The Pike just blows away my old suntour fork on my entry level hardtail.

I currently weight about 230 but have been dropping steadily and ride a mix of xc, trail and some downhill. I have a few parks close by and definitely will be hitting those as well.
    Maybe one day i'll try carbon wheels although my LBS says don't bother lol.
    Thanks!
    j

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So what if where you ride is technical, rocky, has some steep climbs and each ride contains a substantial amount of climbing? Does the weight of the Pike enter into the equation?

Carbon & Ti rule
    No the pike isn't that heavy, Much lighter than the likes of Fox 34.

Quote Originally Posted by epiphreddy View Post
    So what if where you ride is technical, rocky, has some steep climbs and each ride contains a substantial amount of climbing? Does the weight of the Pike enter into the equation?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So compared to the Revelation, the Pike is not noticeably much heavier?

Carbon & Ti rule
    No there is not much in it.

The only down side is the price.

I really liked my Revelation RCT3, But was surprised just how much nicer the Pike was.

Quote Originally Posted by epiphreddy View Post
    So compared to the Revelation, the Pike is not noticeably much heavier?

trail "cleaner"
    Heck, I don't think there is any weight difference between the Pike and the Revelation RCT3. Both are right at 4 pounds. I have both and the Revelation is a nice fork (currently on my RIP RDO) while the Pike is on my Alloy RIP. The Pike is still a step function better! I'll be getting a 2nd Pike for my RIP RDO. One other observation... the 51mm offset on the Pike does make a difference on both the climbs and descents.... While the fork seems slack, the RIP climbs as normal. Point the bike downhill and it laughs at the steeps.
    No dabs allowed!