Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    ijd
    ijd is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    54

    Remove internal bottle cage boss.

    I'm building up an EMD 9 and have got a dropper post for it but can't get the dropper post all the way down as it hits the bottle cage boss on the seat tube post. Is it possible to remove the top boss so I can get the seat post all the way down?

  2. #2
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,268
    Quote Originally Posted by ijd View Post
    I'm building up an EMD 9 and have got a dropper post for it but can't get the dropper post all the way down as it hits the bottle cage boss on the seat tube post. Is it possible to remove the top boss so I can get the seat post all the way down?
    What length post have you got ??

    What size is your frame ??

    You will damage the frame & paint removing that.

  3. #3
    ijd
    ijd is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    54
    It's a medium Emd and a 125mm Specialized command post (not sure on exact length). If the boss can't be removed without damaging the frame, I can cut the seapost as there is a few cm of hollow space at the bottom of it.

  4. #4
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,268
    Quote Originally Posted by ijd View Post
    It's a medium Emd and a 125mm Specialized command post (not sure on exact length). If the boss can't be removed without damaging the frame, I can cut the seapost as there is a few cm of hollow space at the bottom of it.
    It would pay to make sure that will be enough, Because once you cut it the post wont be worth much to sell.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    302
    I've had my LBS drill out a strip rivnut bottle cage boss before. Didn't ding up the frame too bad and took all of 20 minutes in and out the door with much jawing during the operation.

  6. #6
    greedy
    Reputation: have2ride2day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    It would pay to make sure that will be enough, Because once you cut it the post wont be worth much to sell.
    I agree with muzzanic. Also, if you drill out that bottle cage boss, warranty may be an issue, and the frame would be hard to sell later. I'd make sure that I was committed, either way.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

Similar Threads

  1. Jet 9 RDO Water Bottle Cage
    By tneker in forum Niner Bikes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-05-2013, 05:15 AM
  2. Bottle Cage Mod
    By gbuckham in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-27-2012, 06:39 PM
  3. Small Rip 9 Bottle Cage
    By danvar in forum Niner Bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-10-2012, 10:36 AM
  4. The Best Bottle Cage
    By ftajiri in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-30-2011, 10:41 PM
  5. Grind off bottle-cage boss?
    By Nickbm3 in forum Frame Building
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 09:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •