Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Reba 140 for the 2010 Rip 9

I am building a 2010 Rip 9 frame I bought from the discount.

I bought a Reba 140 fork for the build.

My question is, will the 140 travel option be OK for the geometry? I am trying to figure out where to cut the steerer tube, and will need to be leaving an extra 20mm if I need to reduce the travel down the road.

Anybody set up a Rip with the Reba 140?

Pic of the build in progress.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reba 140 for the 2010 Rip 9-php1l1d1uam.jpg  

mtbr member
    Steerer tube length has nothing to do with fork travel.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

Dirty South Underdog
    I think he's implying that if he does have to reduce the travel, he'll want to move his handlebars up 2cm to compensate.

I don't know if you'll enjoy the handling of 140mm or not, but there's nothing wrong with leaving a little extra steertube up there until you're certain you've got everything just how you want it.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

yes

thats exactly what I mean. if I need to reduce it, I will need more steer tube to bring the handle bars up.

MTB B'dos
    Dude, seriously, build it up, don't cut the steerer yet and go ride, it'll be pretty obvious if you like the handling with the 140mm height or not. If you like it ride it about a bit more, do some steeper climbs and see where you want the bars, then as you say leave 20mm or more of steerer "in case" you decide to for some reason drop the travel or mayb use it on another frame with longer headtube etc. Personally I think the HA on the RIP is too steep for what it is anyway and should be a degree or 2 slacker.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Dude, seriously, build it up, don't cut the steerer yet and go ride, it'll be pretty obvious if you like the handling with the 140mm height or not. If you like it ride it about a bit more, do some steeper climbs and see where you want the bars, then as you say leave 20mm or more of steerer "in case" you decide to for some reason drop the travel or mayb use it on another frame with longer headtube etc. Personally I think the HA on the RIP is too steep for what it is anyway and should be a degree or 2 slacker.
    +1. You can always cut, but can't add.

I've seen a lot of posts from people who like the RIP's handling with a longer fork, but off the top of my head, I don't remember an example of someone going back to a 120mm, although personal preference being what it is, presumably someone has.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    I've messed with a rip for a few minutes and the steering is super fast. I think it'd benifit from a taller than 120 fork. Maybe a spacer under the bottom cup of the headset.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Got my 2010 RIP9 setup with a Marz 140mm, took it for a first ride yesterday, loved it. Coming from an IH 7point3 which is pretty slack already though. Here's a shot right before I really finished it, meant to take some pics before the ride yesterday but I couldn't wait.
    Last edited by socal_jack; 09-22-2010 at 12:48 PM.

mtbr member
    looking good!

trail "cleaner"

lower the cockpit...

I made the switch from a Team Reba 120mm to the new Reba 140mm RLT. To compensate for the higher front end, I went to a flat bar (salsa pro moto) with no spacers under the stem. Feels very balanced with this setup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reba 140 for the 2010 Rip 9-big-foot.jpg  

Reba 140 for the 2010 Rip 9-big-foot-head-.jpg  

No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    AZmtncycler,

I see you have a white fork. I didn't think the 140 came in white.

Space Ghost
    Guys with the 140, how much higher is your BB? For where I ride, that would be an advantage. The handling is great, I am not worried about it becoming too slow.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    I measured it a one point, seem to recall 14" maybe plus a bit of change.

trail "cleaner"

Niner OEM...

Quote Originally Posted by mastakilla
    AZmtncycler,

I see you have a white fork. I didn't think the 140 came in white.
    Mine came through Niner as a OEM fork. I selected White over Black.
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i use the 140mm Reba on my new rip9. Love it. I use 1,5cm spacer & a syntace lowrider (1,5cm rise). My last testride was on a street with 27 - no problem. I have always the option to leave the spacer away or go with a flatbar.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Mine is on the way can't wait...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler
    I made the switch from a Team Reba 120mm to the new Reba 140mm RLT. To compensate for the higher front end, I went to a flat bar (salsa pro moto) with no spacers under the stem. Feels very balanced with this setup.
    Is that the RLT or the RLT TI you got from them?

Flaccid Member
    This seems to be pretty common, with the steeper head tube angle on the Niner FS bikes, slack it out with 20 or more mm of fork. Folks putting 140mm forks on RIPS, Dorado's on WFO's and being happy with the results.

For 2011, Niner has changed the spec by 1 degree more slack with the head tubes, and shortened the top tube accordingly to accommodate riders.

Do a search in the 29'er section about tuning up that Marzocchi and getting rid of the stiction, and the "clunk" on rebound. Not all of them experience this problem.

trail "cleaner"

RLT Ti

Quote Originally Posted by mtbboy2000
    Is that the RLT or the RLT TI you got from them?
    Initially, it was a RLT but the communication from Niner to my Supplier (Larry) was it supposed to be a RLT Ti... So, they sent Larry a Blackbox damper and he dropped it in.
    No dabs allowed!

MTB B'dos
    And yet all I got when I kept saying this was that I was bagging on Niner Guess I wasn't or maybe another way would be to say I was right
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    This seems to be pretty common, with the steeper head tube angle on the Niner FS bikes, slack it out with 20 or more mm of fork. Folks putting 140mm forks on RIPS, Dorado's on WFO's and being happy with the results.

For 2011, Niner has changed the spec by 1 degree more slack with the head tubes, and shortened the top tube accordingly to accommodate riders.

Do a search in the 29'er section about tuning up that Marzocchi and getting rid of the stiction, and the "clunk" on rebound. Not all of them experience this problem.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i have put the marz44 on the rip9 and wont look back.

but need to find another fork for my new wfo9. guess it will be a dorado since there are still no other options available.

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hellocook
    i have put the marz44 on the rip9 and wont look back.

but need to find another fork for my new wfo9. guess it will be a dorado since there are still no other options available.
    Yep, and when you point that sucker downhill and let 'er fly, you'll find out how quickly you really need to do something comparable with the back shock that compliments the Dorado.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler
    I note you have fitted a "skid pan" under the BB / lower link ?? Is it homebuilt, propriety, necessary due to low BB height, or precautionary ?? You don't show drive side - bashguard or not on big ring ? Curious

trail "cleaner"

Homemade..

Quote Originally Posted by pedalingkiwi
    I note you have fitted a "skid pan" under the BB / lower link ?? Is it homebuilt, propriety, necessary due to low BB height, or precautionary ?? You don't show drive side - bashguard or not on big ring ? Curious
    Yes, that's my homemade bashguard to protect the lower link. South Mountain here in Phoenix is loaded with very tall rock ledges and this low hanging lower link gets hammered when climbing and or descending these. So, I made this bashgaurd out of poly propolyene plastic to protect it. I do run a 2x9 with a bashguard for cranks. The 140mm fork and elevated the BB height a bit and I am noticing a few less pedals strikes while riding through the chunk.
    No dabs allowed!

trail "cleaner"

FYI.... head angle with 140mm Reba

so out of curiousity, I grabbed my digital angle gauge and placed it up against the Reba lowers and now I know why the bike feels so good! The longer stroke fork combined with the tall WTB Weirwolf LT gives me a HA of 68.4 +/- .1 . Perfect for my type of terrain.
    No dabs allowed!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast