Results 1 to 37 of 37
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    227

    Reba 140 for the 2010 Rip 9

    I am building a 2010 Rip 9 frame I bought from the discount.

    I bought a Reba 140 fork for the build.

    My question is, will the 140 travel option be OK for the geometry? I am trying to figure out where to cut the steerer tube, and will need to be leaving an extra 20mm if I need to reduce the travel down the road.

    Anybody set up a Rip with the Reba 140?

    Pic of the build in progress.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reba 140 for the 2010 Rip 9-php1l1d1uam.jpg  


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,898
    Steerer tube length has nothing to do with fork travel.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

  3. #3
    Dirty South Underdog
    Reputation: Andrea138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,725
    I think he's implying that if he does have to reduce the travel, he'll want to move his handlebars up 2cm to compensate.

    I don't know if you'll enjoy the handling of 140mm or not, but there's nothing wrong with leaving a little extra steertube up there until you're certain you've got everything just how you want it.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

    Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    227

    yes

    thats exactly what I mean. if I need to reduce it, I will need more steer tube to bring the handle bars up.

  5. #5
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    20,033
    Dude, seriously, build it up, don't cut the steerer yet and go ride, it'll be pretty obvious if you like the handling with the 140mm height or not. If you like it ride it about a bit more, do some steeper climbs and see where you want the bars, then as you say leave 20mm or more of steerer "in case" you decide to for some reason drop the travel or mayb use it on another frame with longer headtube etc. Personally I think the HA on the RIP is too steep for what it is anyway and should be a degree or 2 slacker.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  6. #6
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,674
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Dude, seriously, build it up, don't cut the steerer yet and go ride, it'll be pretty obvious if you like the handling with the 140mm height or not. If you like it ride it about a bit more, do some steeper climbs and see where you want the bars, then as you say leave 20mm or more of steerer "in case" you decide to for some reason drop the travel or mayb use it on another frame with longer headtube etc. Personally I think the HA on the RIP is too steep for what it is anyway and should be a degree or 2 slacker.
    +1. You can always cut, but can't add.

    I've seen a lot of posts from people who like the RIP's handling with a longer fork, but off the top of my head, I don't remember an example of someone going back to a 120mm, although personal preference being what it is, presumably someone has.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,898
    I've messed with a rip for a few minutes and the steering is super fast. I think it'd benifit from a taller than 120 fork. Maybe a spacer under the bottom cup of the headset.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socal_jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    910
    Got my 2010 RIP9 setup with a Marz 140mm, took it for a first ride yesterday, loved it. Coming from an IH 7point3 which is pretty slack already though. Here's a shot right before I really finished it, meant to take some pics before the ride yesterday but I couldn't wait.
    Last edited by socal_jack; 09-22-2010 at 12:48 PM.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: david8613's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,702
    looking good!

  10. #10
    trail "cleaner"
    Reputation: AZmtncycler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,351

    lower the cockpit...

    I made the switch from a Team Reba 120mm to the new Reba 140mm RLT. To compensate for the higher front end, I went to a flat bar (salsa pro moto) with no spacers under the stem. Feels very balanced with this setup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reba 140 for the 2010 Rip 9-big-foot.jpg  

    Reba 140 for the 2010 Rip 9-big-foot-head-.jpg  

    No dabs allowed!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    227
    AZmtncycler,

    I see you have a white fork. I didn't think the 140 came in white.

  12. #12
    Space Ghost
    Reputation: Coach417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    894
    Guys with the 140, how much higher is your BB? For where I ride, that would be an advantage. The handling is great, I am not worried about it becoming too slow.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socal_jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    910
    I measured it a one point, seem to recall 14" maybe plus a bit of change.

  14. #14
    trail "cleaner"
    Reputation: AZmtncycler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,351

    Niner OEM...

    Quote Originally Posted by mastakilla
    AZmtncycler,

    I see you have a white fork. I didn't think the 140 came in white.
    Mine came through Niner as a OEM fork. I selected White over Black.
    No dabs allowed!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    46
    i use the 140mm Reba on my new rip9. Love it. I use 1,5cm spacer & a syntace lowrider (1,5cm rise). My last testride was on a street with 27° - no problem. I have always the option to leave the spacer away or go with a flatbar.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    718
    Mine is on the way can't wait...

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler
    I made the switch from a Team Reba 120mm to the new Reba 140mm RLT. To compensate for the higher front end, I went to a flat bar (salsa pro moto) with no spacers under the stem. Feels very balanced with this setup.
    Is that the RLT or the RLT TI you got from them?

  18. #18
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,939
    This seems to be pretty common, with the steeper head tube angle on the Niner FS bikes, slack it out with 20 or more mm of fork. Folks putting 140mm forks on RIPS, Dorado's on WFO's and being happy with the results.

    For 2011, Niner has changed the spec by 1 degree more slack with the head tubes, and shortened the top tube accordingly to accommodate riders.

    Do a search in the 29'er section about tuning up that Marzocchi and getting rid of the stiction, and the "clunk" on rebound. Not all of them experience this problem.

  19. #19
    trail "cleaner"
    Reputation: AZmtncycler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,351

    RLT Ti

    Quote Originally Posted by mtbboy2000
    Is that the RLT or the RLT TI you got from them?
    Initially, it was a RLT but the communication from Niner to my Supplier (Larry) was it supposed to be a RLT Ti... So, they sent Larry a Blackbox damper and he dropped it in.
    No dabs allowed!

  20. #20
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    20,033
    And yet all I got when I kept saying this was that I was bagging on Niner Guess I wasn't or maybe another way would be to say I was right
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    This seems to be pretty common, with the steeper head tube angle on the Niner FS bikes, slack it out with 20 or more mm of fork. Folks putting 140mm forks on RIPS, Dorado's on WFO's and being happy with the results.

    For 2011, Niner has changed the spec by 1 degree more slack with the head tubes, and shortened the top tube accordingly to accommodate riders.

    Do a search in the 29'er section about tuning up that Marzocchi and getting rid of the stiction, and the "clunk" on rebound. Not all of them experience this problem.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    998
    i have put the marz44 on the rip9 and wont look back.

    but need to find another fork for my new wfo9. guess it will be a dorado since there are still no other options available.

  22. #22
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,939
    Quote Originally Posted by hellocook
    i have put the marz44 on the rip9 and wont look back.

    but need to find another fork for my new wfo9. guess it will be a dorado since there are still no other options available.
    Yep, and when you point that sucker downhill and let 'er fly, you'll find out how quickly you really need to do something comparable with the back shock that compliments the Dorado.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler
    I made the switch from a Team Reba 120mm to the new Reba 140mm RLT. To compensate for the higher front end, I went to a flat bar (salsa pro moto) with no spacers under the stem. Feels very balanced with this setup.
    I note you have fitted a "skid pan" under the BB / lower link ?? Is it homebuilt, propriety, necessary due to low BB height, or precautionary ?? You don't show drive side - bashguard or not on big ring ? Curious

  24. #24
    trail "cleaner"
    Reputation: AZmtncycler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,351

    Homemade..

    Quote Originally Posted by pedalingkiwi
    I note you have fitted a "skid pan" under the BB / lower link ?? Is it homebuilt, propriety, necessary due to low BB height, or precautionary ?? You don't show drive side - bashguard or not on big ring ? Curious
    Yes, that's my homemade bashguard to protect the lower link. South Mountain here in Phoenix is loaded with very tall rock ledges and this low hanging lower link gets hammered when climbing and or descending these. So, I made this bashgaurd out of poly propolyene plastic to protect it. I do run a 2x9 with a bashguard for cranks. The 140mm fork and elevated the BB height a bit and I am noticing a few less pedals strikes while riding through the chunk.
    No dabs allowed!

  25. #25
    trail "cleaner"
    Reputation: AZmtncycler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,351

    FYI.... head angle with 140mm Reba

    so out of curiousity, I grabbed my digital angle gauge and placed it up against the Reba lowers and now I know why the bike feels so good! The longer stroke fork combined with the tall WTB Weirwolf LT gives me a HA of 68.4 +/- .1 . Perfect for my type of terrain.
    No dabs allowed!

  26. #26
    The Vandal strikes again
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    This seems to be pretty common, with the steeper head tube angle on the Niner FS bikes, slack it out with 20 or more mm of fork. Folks putting 140mm forks on RIPS, Dorado's on WFO's and being happy with the results.

    For 2011, Niner has changed the spec by 1 degree more slack with the head tubes, and shortened the top tube accordingly to accommodate riders.
    I can't find any mention of this slacker head tube angle. I wish it was true, but the current web site still has the HTA at 71.5 degrees.
    '99 Safari

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socal_jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    910
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalingkiwi
    I note you have fitted a "skid pan" under the BB / lower link ?? Is it homebuilt, propriety, necessary due to low BB height, or precautionary ?? You don't show drive side - bashguard or not on big ring ? Curious
    There's a member on MTBR "cytoe" that sells a bash guard for the RIPs and several other bikes, I have the heavy duty 1/4" thick one on mine that I bought from him. Here's his link in the classifieds (thinner one pictured)

    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...=56582&cat=all



    Measured the angle on mine with 140 Marz, shows about 70 for HA, maybe a hair under.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gruffalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler
    I made the switch from a Team Reba 120mm to the new Reba 140mm RLT. To compensate for the higher front end, I went to a flat bar (salsa pro moto) with no spacers under the stem. Feels very balanced with this setup.
    I like the look of those salsa bars, on the shopping list now I think for the RIP build

  29. #29
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,686
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    This seems to be pretty common, with the steeper head tube angle on the Niner FS bikes, slack it out with 20 or more mm of fork. Folks putting 140mm forks on RIPS, Dorado's on WFO's and being happy with the results.

    For 2011, Niner has changed the spec by 1 degree more slack with the head tubes, and shortened the top tube accordingly to accommodate riders.

    Do a search in the 29'er section about tuning up that Marzocchi and getting rid of the stiction, and the "clunk" on rebound. Not all of them experience this problem.

    I keep hearing rumours of the ha change but nothing in writing. any proof or is this just internet BS

  30. #30
    29ers Only.
    Reputation: Niner Bikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,170
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    I keep hearing rumours of the ha change but nothing in writing. any proof or is this just internet BS
    OK here it is..

    In January, the HTA's on the RIP9 and WFO9 will be slacked 1 degree - so RIP9 will be 70.5 degrees with a 120mm fork, and the WFO9 will go to 69.5 degrees with a 140mm fork. A 140mm Reba on the RIP9 will take it to 69.5. Want it even slacker? Then use the Cane Creek Angleset headset which will gain you +/- up to another 1.5 degrees with a straight steerer fork. The JET9, WFO9, and RIP9's in January will all use the inset style tapered headsets (not included) as well.

    The website still has current product geo and features. Expect to see the website revised in mid January once we take delivery/are shipping the new frames in each model. Great deals to be had on the current JET9, RIP9, WFO9's. Contact your Niner dealer for more details.

    Brett
    .........

    Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

    Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

  31. #31
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes
    OK here it is..

    In January, the HTA's on the RIP9 and WFO9 will be slacked 1 degree - so RIP9 will be 70.5 degrees with a 120mm fork, and the WFO9 will go to 69.5 degrees with a 140mm fork. A 140mm Reba on the RIP9 will take it to 69.5. Want it even slacker? Then use the Cane Creek Angleset headset which will gain you +/- up to another 1.5 degrees with a straight steerer fork. The JET9, WFO9, and RIP9's in January will all use the inset style tapered headsets (not included) as well.

    The website still has current product geo and features. Expect to see the website revised in mid January once we take delivery/are shipping the new frames in each model. Great deals to be had on the current JET9, RIP9, WFO9's. Contact your Niner dealer for more details.

    Brett
    thanks Brett
    does the angleset also work with tapered forks? in the ads it appears so
    and does the 140 reba come with a straight post?
    finally, for those of us who like the original angle, could the angleset be used with the 140 to keep it the same?

  32. #32
    29ers Only.
    Reputation: Niner Bikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,170
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    thanks Brett
    does the angleset also work with tapered forks? in the ads it appears so
    and does the 140 reba come with a straight post?
    finally, for those of us who like the original angle, could the angleset be used with the 140 to keep it the same?
    Currently the Angleset is available for 1 1/8th straight steerer tubes right now. The 140mm Reba is only available in tapered, but Marzocchi and White Brothers both have 140mm 1 1/8 steerer forks. Yes, with a 1 1/8 steerer you can bring back the angles back to stock via 1/2 a degree to 1.5 total adjustability.

    More detailed info from the source:

    http://www.canecreek.com/AngleSet

    Brett
    .........

    Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

    Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes
    OK here it is..

    In January, the HTA's on the RIP9 and WFO9 will be slacked 1 degree - so RIP9 will be 70.5 degrees with a 120mm fork, and the WFO9 will go to 69.5 degrees with a 140mm fork. A 140mm Reba on the RIP9 will take it to 69.5. Want it even slacker? Then use the Cane Creek Angleset headset which will gain you +/- up to another 1.5 degrees with a straight steerer fork. The JET9, WFO9, and RIP9's in January will all use the inset style tapered headsets (not included) as well.

    The website still has current product geo and features. Expect to see the website revised in mid January once we take delivery/are shipping the new frames in each model. Great deals to be had on the current JET9, RIP9, WFO9's. Contact your Niner dealer for more details.

    Brett
    Brett,
    The head angle change is big and it explains the sales on the current versions.
    I'm pleased with Rip9/140mm fork combo but I do wonder what 69.5 degrees would be like. Have you tried it?
    2 wheels

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rasidi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    39
    lower the cockpit...
    I made the switch from a Team Reba 120mm to the new Reba 140mm RLT. To compensate for the higher front end, I went to a flat bar (salsa pro moto) with no spacers under the stem. Feels very balanced with this setup.
    Hi AZmtncycler,

    Thanks for the post. After riding my RIP9 happily for the past year I was thinking about Reba 140 and here you are

    Would you mind taking a photo shot of your bike from the side. Thanks again.

  35. #35
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 2melow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,646
    Quote Originally Posted by artnshel
    Brett,
    The head angle change is big and it explains the sales on the current versions.
    I'm pleased with Rip9/140mm fork combo but I do wonder what 69.5 degrees would be like. Have you tried it?

    Hi artnshel,

    I have not ridden the REBA 140mm, but I have ridden the Marzocchi 44 140mm quite extensively on my RIP9. The ride is slacker for sure, inspiring more confidence in some of the steeper, rockier, chunky stuff. Personally I like 120mm up front better, but I respect some guys like HTA's super steeper so this will be a hit for sure on this next generation RIP9 frame.

    Brett
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dancruz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    490
    Ordered the Reba 140 today....will post next week what I think....
    Just ride and quit bit$hin....Yeti 4.5...SIR9 SS...

  37. #37
    trail "cleaner"
    Reputation: AZmtncycler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,351

    latest photo....

    Quote Originally Posted by rasidi
    Hi AZmtncycler,

    Thanks for the post. After riding my RIP9 happily for the past year I was thinking about Reba 140 and here you are

    Would you mind taking a photo shot of your bike from the side. Thanks again.
    here is the side shot you are asking for. Changed bars over to the Sunline V1 OS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reba 140 for the 2010 Rip 9-img_1005.jpg  

    Reba 140 for the 2010 Rip 9-img_1006.jpg  

    No dabs allowed!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •