mtbr member
    Aug 2008

rear suspension for a WFO: Fox or Marzocchi?

Hi,
    I'm 233lbs and looking for the right damper on my WFO for Allmountain usage:

Fox RP23, Marzocchi Roco TST Air or Marzocchi Roco TST Coil?

Opinions? Advice? Experiences?

Regards
    othu

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007
    Might help us if you tell us where you ride, style of riding, what you like to do on an All Mountain ride, etc. Do you earn your vertical, by pedalling up hill? Is it single track you climb, or smooth buff fire road. Do you shuttle?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Roco TST coil will out-perform the other two shocks descending and climbing. Air shocks are prodominant because they are easier to sell on bikes (easy to adjust spring rate) and weigh less. Seems like the mtb community, @ large, will sacrifice performance for weight.

Underskilled
    Hi Keen,

Have you tried the Rocco coil on the WFO or just speculating?

I think the stroke rate is too regressive for coil, seems designed to work with air for me.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    AM rides usually 30-50miles, predominantly single-trail, some roads, pedalling up hill, no shuttle.
    Have concerns the small air volume in the Fox RP23 and the small damping (only 40ml oil... compared to 150ml in the Roco...) is overwhelmed with my weight ...
    And performance is more important than weight!

regards
    othu
    (Sorry for my bad English!... )

Underskilled
    The dampening is fine for me, and I am a clyde, but we do not have huge DH in the UK. no more than a couple of minutes down before up again.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    Hi Keen,

Have you tried the Rocco coil on the WFO or just speculating?

I think the stroke rate is too regressive for coil, seems designed to work with air for me.

I have run Roco coil's on leverage ratios as high a 3.0 w/ falling rate designs. It has the hyd bottomout feature that kept bumper slamming to a minimum. So yes I am speculating but if something isn't manufacture spec'd it is speculating. That said I have had good luck w/ the Roco replacing air shocks. Some coils w/o hyd bottomout control are bumper mashers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    OP- I'm similar in weight and think you should also look into the DHX air. I have one on my WFO and am loving it! It was very easy to set up, just added my weight with gear and put that many psi in and it rides very PLUSH.

Good luck