mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Real World Cycling needle bearing kit

My Jet 9 RDO has been consuming DU bushings in the upper mount on my Fox shock at an alarming rate -- basically one per month this season. It really sucks. The rear end has been sloppy on and off all season.

Not any more. RWC's needle bearing upgrade seems to have solved the problem. Though I've only got about 16hrs on the bearing I'm pretty confident that it will hold up better than those awful Fox DU bushings. It really is a nice looking piece of hardware. It cost something like $30 shipped to my door, Installation was easy, no slop and it even looks nice (red!).

As well, the rear end is noticeably smoother and more sensitive at the top of the stroke. At least in terms of sag and when tooling around on pavement. It's pretty hard to notice something so small on the trail. The RDO seems like a frame that really benefits from this upgrade. Others have less movement at the eyelet, but the RDO, judging by how much wear the DU bushings get, seems to require a real "pivot" at the top of the shock.

Good job RWC -- you've greatly improved my bike. Next year's Fox shocks have what is supposed to be an improved bushing system but for anyone with a pre-2013 shock I'd recommend the RWC kit.

Underskilled
    The standard bushings suck.

I have not used the needle, but the far cheaper TFtuned heavy duty bushing. They are quite litterally lasting longer than the frames.
    I am on my third Niner and have the 2nd bushing ready to fit.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?