Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Ready to order new Rip 9

I sold my Fuel today. On Monday I will call the Niner dealer to order a new Rip 9 alloy in green. I am planning on going with the XT build. Anything I should order at the same time? I was thinking of upgrading to I9 wheels for an extra 500 or a Pike for 400 but my proceeds of the Fuel were lower than hoped for. I will have them go tubeless right away. I also will have a 60mm race face turbine stem laying around. I may have that installed. Currently I have CB candy 2 pedals in orange but I was either thinking of doing the CB upgrade for $60 to the Candy 3 or a set of XT trail pedals. Anyone have a weight on a stock or tubeless set up rip xt in size med?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member

Ready to order new Rip 9

Make up the difference of some of the money with a used frame? Like mine...!

Shameless plug, but a viable option nonetheless.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Just a few days ago there was a 2013 Rip RDO that went for $2400 on ebay with free ship. That was a deal. I think it would have done better if they cleaned the bike before posting the pics.

What color do you have?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have even been considering the X01 build but hate the brake offerings and not sure about the Fox fork
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member

Ready to order new Rip 9

Medium black
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

Carbon & Ti rule
    I really like my I9 wheels a lot, But would give them up well before I would give up my Pike.

Well done selling you bike, Good to see you going with the Green.

I had a fun day on mine today ( Left the RDO at home )

Also got some more back to back in between the 2012 & 2014 Rip9's & although the 2012 is still a good bike, The 2014 just so much nicer, Everywhere.

As for X01, I really like it & would fit it to my next build for sure.

The X01 on my green Rip9 is every bit as nice as the XX1 on my RDO.

Hope you can get the upgrades you want for your new bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    From what I can tell on wheels is the Stans and my Bontrager Pro wheels seem about the same. Actually the Stans hubs have alittle bit faster engagement while the Bontragers have a nicer rim strip set up. While the set up is nice you don't notice it every day. The weight of the Bontragers is about 1950g and the stans 1960g. So it seems to me I wont be loosing anything in the wheel dept. In fact when I bought the wheels I was hoping for a more noticeable upgrade over the duster wheels. Luckly I only paid about $350. What I learned from that is at a point it costs a lot of money to get a real upgrade....I think they call this Utility from my past philosophy class. I guess what I am saying is I am afraid to spent the money not being able to try the product...I don't want to be disappointed not getting the results I hoped for. The i9 wheels would drop almost a full pound of rotating mass which is nothing to sneeze at. The dealer also suggested the Roval $1200 carbons. As for the Pike I am confused as it is 140mm travel and worry it may make the bike tilt is strengths to decending too much. My regular rides is more XC with as much up hill as down hill. I really hear good things about the pike and revelation though.

I like the idea of XO1 and seemed to do fine on it during the demo. On the other hand XT across the board is hard to beat. Looking at a rear cassette for XT is $60 online while the X01 is about $300 online. God help me if I snag a stick and tear up a RD. I do think the prices of 1x will come down in the next couple years. XTR just release a 1x11 the other day. I see the 3x going away and being left with 1x or 2x.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I was a Kawasaki guy year back in my MX days.....that explains the must have green
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    I had the Jet9RDO set up with a 100m Reba and went to the the Rip9RDO with a 140mm Pike. As far as I can tell the climbing is about 90-95 percent as good for my longer super steep climbs that average about 20% and max at 32% (according to my Garmin). With technical climbs equal or better on the Rip due to the position of the seat and the shorter chain stays. For the most part the two bikes are a wash when climbing (according to my Garmin times on equal sections). The alloy version shares the same length chain stays as the Jet9RDO and 1 degree slacker seat angle so I bet it climbs some stuff like the Jet and some like Rip9RDO. Both of which climb about as good as any bike I have ever ridden.

The pike is so damn nice that it makes it a no brainer for me, and I would highly recommend it to you. This Rip, the alloy is similar to the RDO, deserves a 140mm fork. I don't know about you, but I suffer the climbs to enjoy the downs and a 140mm fork makes the downs so so so much more fun.

As for the wheels, maybe wait on them until you can swing some LB or Derby carbon rims and rebuild on your hubs. This offers a relatively cheap way into, what I feel is an absolute necessity on 29ers: carbon wheels. The stiffness of a beefy 26" AM wheel with the lightness of a XC wheel makes these bigger bikes sing like they never could before.

Any direction you end up going, the bike is going to rock! Enjoy!
    Last edited by oaklandish; 04-13-2014 at 10:52 AM. Reason: reread the geometry specs on the Niner site

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I do hear so much good about the Pike. There was a write up in MBA magazine.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    I just put a 140 Pike on my 2014 RIP9. It replaced a two year old Reba, and there simply is no comparison between the two (not really apples to apples). The stiffness of this fork combined with carbon hoops is awesome and the bike now tracks and holds a line like never before. Plush, plush, plush.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I did find out you can buy a new air shaft for 38 and drop it to 130 mm if I need to. I like knowing I have the option.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Qfactor03 View Post
    I just put a 140 Pike on my 2014 RIP9. It replaced a two year old Reba, and there simply is no comparison between the two (not really apples to apples). The stiffness of this fork combined with carbon hoops is awesome and the bike now tracks and holds a line like never before. Plush, plush, plush.
    What wheels did you get? I am trying to upgrade wheels too. Looking at the $1200 roval carbons or i9 non carbons
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    I have a 120 air spring for mine sitting in the garage ready to go in. One thing to consider is the offset. I have the 51mm offset, and on steeper climbs, it feels like the front end is light and tends to wander a little. It's not terrible, but does require getting more forward on the saddle. I have a feeling that the 46 offset won't suffer from this quite as much as the frame was designed around the 46mm offset. The 51 tends to work better with frames that have a slacker front end.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Going with a 46 off set for sure
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Atomik Carbon. The ones I'm on are early protos. Front is a very thick, hooked bead version and the rear is a hookless design. So far, after a few months of hard riding, they're holding up very well. I have to admit I'm a little paranoid about pushing the limits of lower pressures, but once you switch to a carbon hoop, you'll discover immediately if you're running the pressure too high.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    I have even been considering the X01 build but hate the brake offerings and not sure about the Fox fork
    You may want to check with your dealer/Niner about the brakes on the X01 build as the Elixir's have been discontinued so they may have made a change to the build. Likely not but worth a shot... And PricePoint has XT brakes on sale today for $99 (regularly $170) - FYI.

If you are going to upgrade to a Pike, the 4-star build may be a better option as the Fox Talas 34 is about the same price as the Pike. Again, if 1x is your thing and if you can overcome the brakes.

I'm in the same boat as I mentioned in a PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    How much? I may be looking for something like that. Alloy 2014?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    How much? I may be looking for something like that. Alloy 2014?
    I currently offer the Rip9 2013+ plate in ultra-duty ($40 + shipping). I have PayPal links in my ad (Rock protection for the Santa Cruz Tallboy Niner Ripley Ibis frames, and Ibis Ripley - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories)

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Qfactor03 View Post
    I have a 120 air spring for mine sitting in the garage ready to go in. One thing to consider is the offset. I have the 51mm offset, and on steeper climbs, it feels like the front end is light and tends to wander a little. It's not terrible, but does require getting more forward on the saddle. I have a feeling that the 46 offset won't suffer from this quite as much as the frame was designed around the 46mm offset. The 51 tends to work better with frames that have a slacker front end.
    I have both 46 & 51 offset & I like the 46 better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Got it ordered!

2014 Rip 9 XT build in Green
    Pike 140 / 46 upgrade
    Roval Control Carbon wheel upgrade set up tubeless
    Lizard skin CS protector
    Dealer will tape down tube and all cable rub areas with lizard skin type clear tape.

I will ride the pike at 140 and may drop it to 130 if I need to. Dealer will do the work for about $70 with parts. Also plan on having the rear shock upgrade done in May. They have a new valving to give it the Pike characteristics for about $115.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    And now the excitement of waiting for the call that it's sitting at the shop begins. Something about a new bike that we just never outgrow. I wish I had done the 46 offset now that I already own the 51. Is the upgrade to the rear shock something from RockShox themselves, or is it from a service like PUSH? I'm assuming you're talking about the stock Monarch that comes on the RIP.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Rock Shox factory hop up.

First Look: RockShox DebonAir - Monarch Shock Hop-Up Kit - Pinkbike

it was also on MTBR but cannot find the link.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    I did see that on MTBR, jut didn't read through the entire article. I had no idea they were going to offer it as an upgrade to the current models. Thanks for mentioning that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast