Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    No Problem. It looks like a dealer should be able to preform the upgrade according to the article.

Just placed an order to replace my worn out shoes and a new set of XT trail pedals. Getting rid of the Candy 2. Great deal on Nashbar. Got a pair of Shimano M162 shoes for $77! They have a one day sale, most shoes 30% off.

Bike will probably be ready Saturday or Monday depending where Niner ships the bike from (CA or CO).
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Qfactor03 View Post
    And now the excitement of waiting for the call that it's sitting at the shop begins. Something about a new bike that we just never outgrow.
    I'm in the same boat. Finally, my RIP got ordered last week, and should be here pretty much any day now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I wonder if Niner builds to order or have a few instock ready to ship of the popular size and spec?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    Got it ordered!

2014 Rip 9 XT build in Green
    Pike 140 / 46 upgrade
    Roval Control Carbon wheel upgrade set up tubeless
    Lizard skin CS protector
    Dealer will tape down tube and all cable rub areas with lizard skin type clear tape.

I will ride the pike at 140 and may drop it to 130 if I need to. Dealer will do the work for about $70 with parts. Also plan on having the rear shock upgrade done in May. They have a new valving to give it the Pike characteristics for about $115.
    I am going to go out on a limb and say right here, right at this moment, that you are going efffin love this bike. Congratulations and ride it like you stole it!

I am curious about the rear shock upgrade you are referring to. Does this frame come with a Rockshox rear shock now? Or are you sending it out to Avalanche or Push?

mtbr member

Ready to order new Rip 9

Quote Originally Posted by oaklandish View Post
    I am going to go out on a limb and say right here, right at this moment, that you are going efffin love this bike. Congratulations and ride it like you stole it!

I am curious about the rear shock upgrade you are referring to. Does this frame come with a Rockshox rear shock now? Or are you sending it out to Avalanche or Push?
    Possibly the Debon Air upgrade?

Congrats, OP! You're going to love the bike.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Possibly the Debon Air upgrade?

Congrats, OP! You're going to love the bike.

Yep, Should be able available in June area.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Right, so your shop is letting you trade the used CTD shock in for the Debon Air Monarch for $115?

That sounds like a pretty good deal to me, especially if the shock turns out as good as the Pike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by oaklandish View Post
    Right, so your shop is letting you trade the used CTD shock in for the Debon Air Monarch for $115?

That sounds like a pretty good deal to me, especially if the shock turns out as good as the Pike.

No, the alloy comes with a rock shox monarch. I will be able to get the debon air hop up/ upgrade parts for $115.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    OK, Now I got it.

That new Monarch sounds like they might be on to something. I await your detailed review when the mod is completed.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Make sure to set aside $100 for new tires. I really don't understand why they put weak ass Nobby Nics on such a beastly bike.

I'm rolling a 2012 raw RIP and when I bought it you couldn't get a green one but now you can get a green one! ****! Mega jealous. That will be a cool ass ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Tires not holding up? They seem like a decent tire but will wear quickly. When those wear out I may go to a Conti or another set of Bontrager 29-3. Those were a fast tire and predictable.

I will talk to my bike shop and see if they can back order that shock hop up.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So I am here wasting time looking at MTB stuff waiting on my bike, so I gave my shop a call to see how things are progressing.

Bike should be dropped off today per tacking number
    Wheels already there
    Pike fork not in as of yet....It would be great if it is on the same fedex truck as the bike (wishful thinking?)

FYI the shop is calling to see the status of the fork and will ask about the details of Debon air shock hop up kit. I will post for those interested when I find out.

I asked how much of the bike needs to be assembled, it seems I have seen pics of niners needing pretty much a full assembly while Trek and other big bike names need very little assembly. He was not sure as this was their first full kit bike ordered since Niner changed how they ship full kits. In the past it has been mostly frame only.

Ok back to getting fat watching mtb videos
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Dude! Put it together yourself. You get it earlier and you get to share with us the stoke of putting together a functional giant lego set.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Bike is in!

I just picked up the bike and got home. I have to wait til Monday to get it out for a ride. I got a couple questions. I got rear sag set at 25% which happens to be my weight, How many clicks out on rebound? Also the Pike is set to 80psi (recommended setting on fork leg). I need some assistance or recommended setting and definition of the low speed rebound and high speed rebound. I never had a fork with LS rebound.

I just also finished taping up possible cable rub areas and setting the release on the XT trail pedals.

I had the bike weighed....28.7 with pedals and tubless
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ready to order new Rip 9-dsc02351.jpg  

Ready to order new Rip 9-dsc02352.jpg  

Ready to order new Rip 9-dsc02353.jpg  

Ready to order new Rip 9-dsc02354.jpg  

2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    It seems the seat is not a WTB seat. I think it came with a somewhat generic Niner labeled saddle.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Start with the rebound in the middle, and then fine tune it from their to your preference.

The low speed compression basically puts a little platform on the fork so it's not active until you hit a certain level force. It helps with cutting down on brake dive, or unwanted bobbing from the fork when putting the power down. If you get it right for your preference and weight, it'll still be quite responsive over the little stuff as well as the big hits.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Should I set the LS rebound in the middle also?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Man, you know how to create bike envy! Please post how you like the wheels as I am thinking about a set. That is a killer bike you have, ride it hard and long!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks!

Taking it out on Monday for a long ride. It will be tame trails but I need to adjust from CB pedals to shimano, new bike, and have not ridding in three weeks.

When I checked the weight on the niner using the same scale it only weighs .7 lbs more than my Fuel 29er did.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Should I set the LS rebound in the middle also?
    Sorry low speed compression
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I wonder why the long 90mm stock stem? I put on my 60mm stem for my first ride. From the parking lot ride I may want a 70. I also think a wider bar may be in order....740 maybe. Anyone know if niner is still doing the 20 percent off RDO bar and trail stem offer that was posted on the niner Facebook page? I will ride it as is first to see if it is comfortable.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ready to order new Rip 9-dsc02356.jpgReady to order new Rip 9-dsc02357.jpgI wrote Niner about the seat. It seems the bike should have come with the WTB saddle like others have received on my same bike, also the spec sheet says it comes with a WTB. The seat that I received seems cheaply made and nowhere what should have come on a bike of this level.

Also noticed some deep scratches on the left crank arm. I know it is a mtb bike but I intend to keep it as nice as possible considering I am taping up wear/scuff points.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

Carbon & Ti rule
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02356.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	890620Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02357.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	890621I wrote Niner about the seat. It seems the bike should have come with the WTB saddle like others have received on my same bike, also the spec sheet says it comes with a WTB. The seat that I received seems cheaply made and nowhere what should have come on a bike of this level.

Also noticed some deep scratches on the left crank arm. I know it is a mtb bike but I intend to keep it as nice as possible considering I am taping up wear/scuff points.
    I spend days 3M taping my bikes before I use them, Even after a year I get people asking if it's my bikes 1st time out.

I get people say it's a MTB don't bother, But to me the more I can get for it when I sell it the easier it is to upgrade to a new model when it comes out.

Not being the guy that always falls off also helps. ( Our trails are more dirt based than rock ) That also helps.

So get out with the clear tape.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Agreed with your philosophy. My dealer did a fantastic job taping the down tube with some sort of helicopter blade tape. It seems to be like 3m and fairly thick. I taped a few other parts. Thinking about taping the swingarm curved tube. I also think my rear derailleur cable needs to be shortened so it don't rest on the top of the fork. I put tape there for now but may have my LBS shorten it some. I also ordered crank arm end boots. Its kind of anal but I got a lot of coin in this bike and like you want to keep my investment at its best.

Don't you have a pike fork? I am working on setting it up. I set the psi at 80 per the recommended on fork leg. I looked on the Trek website as they have a suspension calculator for LSC and Rebound settings. Unfortunatly the only bike they have with a pike is the slash 160mm travel. Anyway I went with those suggested LSC and rebound settings of 8 clicks out each.

For the LSC I think turning it fully to the right then back to the left (out?) eight clicks

For rebound turn all the way to the turtle (slowest) then back to the rabbit 8 clicks.

Correct?

Tomorrow I will adjust my rear shock rebound. I got the PSI set at 170 w/ 25% sag.

Also good call on the Pike. From just a parking lot ride I can tell this fork is going to make the Fox 32 feel like a noodle. This is a very substantial feeling fork with no weight penalty.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Also the XT gear feels really solid compared to my SLX/XT combo. I think it is the shifters mostly
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast